News

‘Breaking New Boundaries of Style’- Afropolitan Collection by ENIOLA DAVID

Fashion designers  have their unique aesthetic which appeal to the dynamic personality of what has become a woman, or in this case the African woman. Their designs become a creative canvas for self expression. Designer, Eniola Hundeyin knows her African woman, and her latest work, The Afropolitan Collection, is a canvas rich in a creative cultural narrative as it is in its style.

About the collection: The Afropolitan is as much an idea as it is a way of life. Fusing a rich and vibrant African fashion legacy with a contemporary metropolitan style, the result is an innovative, yet timeless concept, highlighting the self assured individuality of the modern African woman. Consciously aware of the zeitgeist of an ever changing and technologically advancing global climate, The Afropolitan woman can no longer be satisfied with the banal and retrogressive stereotypes that place African women in a box. Thus, she is ever moving forward, shattering shallow perceptions of self and breaking new boundaries of style, while constantly recreating her own image and identity through industry and savoir faire.”

The Afropolitan aesthethic:The aesthetic of this capsule sextet features beautifully hand-crafted print designs native to Nigeria. Visual harmony is achieved through the use of organic patterns and color schemes, hence the sole use of the three primary colours of red, blue and yellow. These patterns are then intricately sewn with exquisite black fabric such as chiffon and organza. The contrast resulting from this interweaving of bright, vibrant colors with black, which is in essence the absence of light, is influenced by the complexity of the geographic and socioeconomic fabric found in my beloved home, Lagos city”

View full collection below:

Designer Eniola Hundeyin wrote and directed a short film for The Afropolitan Collection .
View film below:

Click to visit website

Credits: Vide0 Produced by Will Turner of Willyverse, Music by Lykke Li “Let It Fall” & Fela Kuti “Shakara”.

1. Ms. Jayee

October 12, 2010 at 10:59 am

This collection screams ITUEN BASI!!!!

• Ms. Jayee

October 12, 2010 at 11:01 am

well…not that it is bad o!(before you guys tear me apart) but just that i had to scroll back up to see get the name of the designer.

• LadyTee

October 12, 2010 at 11:51 am

Ya you are correct because the ankara used in this collection are the same ones that were used in Ituens last collection. It’s bound to happen that designers will use the same ankara materials at times. In terms of this collection, I’m a bit underwhelmed.

2. RMG

October 12, 2010 at 11:11 am

Yipee,first to comment (I hope 🙂 ) got some wearable peices there, bravo!

3. Dee

October 12, 2010 at 11:57 am

Its annoying that designers show us subpar work and expect us to be wowed. I expected more from Eniola. I see 5 okay pieces, surely if you are going to give us 5pieces, make it WOW!. Unless ofcourse the focus is on the styling, which I think is great!

4. mariaah

October 12, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I can’t even see the dresses properly… The model either has her hands covering it or she’s sitting or bending or in a quirky pose! I love the last one with the lace thoo..

• mariaah

October 12, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Thank God for the last picture I for no see the cloth.

5. TITI

October 12, 2010 at 12:25 pm

i like the one with the blue skirt in the group pictures, the rest are somehow, dont dee myself wearing them

6. D Clarkers

October 12, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I had high expectations when i say afropolitan but YAWN.

• D Clarkers

October 12, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I had high expectations when i saw afropolitan but YAWN

7. Mrs.RagaBlueberrymuffin

October 12, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Anakara designs are not that unique and noone can lay claims on any of them…I have seen celebrities rocking some ankara fabric that my mother has had for eons.So it doesnt matter if two designers are using the same thing.I llike most of the pieces as they are very wearable

8. Mrs.RagaBlueberrymuffin

October 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm

i love the model with short hair!!!Loves the video too

9. Miss ATL

October 12, 2010 at 2:02 pm

It’s aight.

10. lola

October 12, 2010 at 4:24 pm

the collection is a bit week, nothing new… breaking the boundaries refers to something which goes beyond the ordinary, unfortunatly this collection doesn’t. keep working at it you will get there.

• Sia

October 12, 2010 at 7:06 pm

My dear, it is weak (an adjective) not week (the noun). I guess you are the type that will go to work looking like an Atilogwu dancer because you want something beyond the ordinary. Kai!

• Zeze

October 14, 2010 at 4:22 am

LMAO…atilogwu dancer…But cut her some slack jare… we all make typos jo.

11. Bukky

October 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm

people are mean o!Every designer has their style.Some people are into simple wearable stuff.

12. Didi

October 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm

This collection is fabulous, and i see myself ordering all the pieces. fantastic video, job well done

13. Femi D

October 12, 2010 at 5:12 pm

nice capsule collection. i know people want to be entertained by design sometimes but truth be told most of you are not wearing crazy artistic creations everytime you leave the house. this collection is instantly wearable and well edited.

14. Lohi

October 12, 2010 at 5:17 pm

YAY!!! Eni!!!!

15. OlaOzo

October 12, 2010 at 5:33 pm

These are very wearable pieces. As an African woman, I like the options of wearing clothes and looking good without always looking like I’m dressed for an event. This collection gives me that option Great job!

16. Faderera

October 12, 2010 at 6:25 pm

This is not a runway show where a designer has to show how creative they can be.I get that being a debut collection, pple are expecting to be wowed and truly to be remembered you have to stand out.Standing out does not mean outrageous and overly creative stuff.In my case i think these pieces stand out and i love them.I look at them and immediately know that i can jump into any of them and i am all set. I think if Jewel by Lisa did this, people would be oohing and aahing! To the designer: i have followed your blog for a while… keep pushing the boundaries the sky is your limit.

17. Litigation

October 12, 2010 at 6:31 pm

It’s not until clothes have the overdesign factor to them that they are fashion. This is a perfectly done collection. Very well constructed and edited. For once Nigerian clothes do not look like masquerade attire or owambe wear. I just love it! Subtle, intelligent and beautiful! The video is just awesome! Catchy songgggg!

18. Sia

October 12, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I guess some of these FASHION CRITICS on here would prefer to see fish skirts, rompers, and stella blouses, roof high geles, or ankara mixed with cheap silk fabics. If a designers work is not dramatic (in an unrealistic way), then you people will never appreciate their work.
    I doubt some of these commenters actually read about the collection before looking at the “pictures” to give their opinions. This is why people say black don’t like reading. *Very sad*. The “about the collection” states that the collection is the mixture of rich and vibrant African fashion legacy with a contemporary metropolitan style”. This is why it is a minimalist collection. A modern woman is looking for versatility and wearability and not DRAMA! If you are looking for costumes then you can see that new movie, INALE, for inspiration.

19. Tosin

October 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I stop by at Eniola’s website sometimes too and I love what she’s done with this collection.

Like someone said before, design doesnt have to be dramatic to be beautiful or considered good art.
    Find something for your body shape and put a smile on your wardrobe.

I’ll have the red jacket/blazer thank you very much 🙂
    T

20. Oshokeme

October 12, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I like it… simple, classy and wearable. I can totally see myself wearing everything here.

21. Ashabs

October 13, 2010 at 1:19 am

Everybody is sewing something in their bedroom these days…o wa ok

• Sia

December 10, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Ah ah! Shey it is more productive than hating behind the computer screen?

22. Fifi

October 13, 2010 at 5:55 am

Nice capsule collezoni!
    reminds me of Ms Basi!

23. FL1 TZ

October 13, 2010 at 8:56 am

Not really for me

24. Jade

October 14, 2010 at 4:59 pm

i support that, its not really ny style, maybe good for others but alittle to plain for me, sha

25. babey

October 15, 2010 at 6:06 am

niceee!!! Good to a designer iwith a real vision and concept that we can relate to. The clothes definitely fit the motive, dunno what these ignorant ppl here r saying…

26. koa006