Music

Nigerian Singer Eva is now “Evaezi” – New Look, New Sound – Find Out Why

In the “google age”, it is a difficult task for performers to come up with unique names that stand out. Nigerian musician, Eva (D’Diva) has tackled this challenge by revamping her brand and reverting to her native name, EVAEZI pronounced (AY-VAY-ZEE). Evaezi is an Isoko name which means “A pure and honest heart/soul”.

Evaezi is nominated in two categories for the 2011 Headies (Hip Hop World Awards). She is up for the Recording of the Year award and Best Female Vocal performance award as well. She is also working on her next album tentatively titled “The Core of Me“.

Talking about her new look and new sound, Evaezi shared that “My music and I are evolving. My sound today is not what it used to be when I first came out in 2006 with ‘No Cry’, my latest release ‘Better Than Her’ which is doing really well proves that. I find myself wanting to experiment more… to bridge the gap between the African and the Western… to not stay boxed up. I wanna stay grounded in my roots in terms of identity as I reach for the sky, especially now that I am in talks with interested international distributors. The type of music I do today is afrocentric in nature but experimental in pattern. I hate being predictable!”.

Here is the video for Evaezi’s latest single “Better Than Her” featuring Essence & Kefee

1. tinu

September 7, 2011 at 11:08 am

big n beautiful

2. deedee

September 7, 2011 at 11:28 am

wats up wit d nudity….is dis a way of expressing urself? is dat d areola am seeing (o ga o!)…….seriously smh

• Tiki

September 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm

lol, YUP, na areola u di see o…what eagle eyes u have! ROTFL

• tatafo

September 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Okay, there should have been a NSFW warning in the post title.
      Her rapping skills are really good though, I like what I’ve heard from her.

• femi

September 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Wetin bi Areola? But people я funny ooooo…. I can’t see breasts or nipples… Technically she is not nude…. Human beings sha…. U people must always find a way to destroy ur pwn tin. Amber Rose posed NAKED …. Absolute nudity but una run go find am to host event here Fø̲̣̣я̅ Naija… Foreigners do far worse dan dis and everyone hails them but Eva wey no even show anytin… Cos I’m not seeing anytin obscene and u r criticizing her. Na wa o. Her music is sheeer brilliance and I pray God makes her bigger just to spite the haters and hypocrites. Enough is enough jor

• hey-yo!

September 8, 2011 at 9:45 am

lol…..hilarious~! that was so so funny! madam/mister eagle eyes.lol

3. dewowo

September 7, 2011 at 11:42 am

was she holding or hiding her b:):)bs? (pix 1 & 3) cos 1 see effortlessly her n:pple in pix 1. just asking…

• ugo

September 10, 2011 at 12:14 am

@dewowo Is that why we are here???? U folks are just jokers. I can’t see any areola or nipple. Mscheeeeew abeg be serious jor. Nice pix Evaezi…I love ur songs die

• Purpleicious Babe

September 18, 2011 at 12:15 am

I can see it ohhhh….and yes she is NUDE….

4. jd

September 7, 2011 at 11:47 am

first…yaaay!! very lovely song

5. Mimee

September 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

Do you have to be naked to make a point or get pple’s attention? Its ur song we want 2hear not to c ur body…

6. Kehinde

September 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

Something on Eva the rapper? Yes, pls.

7. Jasmine

September 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm

She’s not nude. Must you people always find something wrong?Appreciate things abeg!!!

8. Demmy

September 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm

No need to go nude and I’m not really into her songs. Not a hater, just saying.

• damilola

September 19, 2011 at 7:09 pm

@Demmy thats your opinion. I watched her perform at the ChristyEssien tribute night… this babe had the governor of Akwa Ibom in tears for her rendition of THE NIGERIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM. you folks are on a long thing. Just watch out for her is all i can say

9. Luvlyn

September 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Not my cup of tea. My opinion. Thanks

10. Bukky

September 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

but when Beyonce goes nude you give her props and still listen to her music -abi?

• yo!

September 8, 2011 at 8:31 am

when did Bey go nude, biko?

11. cathy

September 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm

jeez!!! good for her

12. aosgrl

September 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm

beautiful voice, beautiful girl, but she needs some repackaging. I really don’t think the blonde cut and the grey contacts or make up suits her.

13. toluwa

September 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm

The vid looked like a nigerian movie…sucked! The song aint all dt either.

• mercy

September 7, 2011 at 9:21 pm

But its no 5 on Naija top 20 showing on AIT. Guy abi u bi girl abeg get a life!!!! Just becos u r probably a fan of Konga’s kind of music that doesn’t mean that Evaezi is not a fantastic singer with great songs.

• kene

September 8, 2011 at 2:43 am

@Toluwa please… by all means… go and dive into a tea cup. The Song is wonderful… her vocal delivery was simply brilliant please keep your mindless, purely biased opinons to yourself and stop exposing your frustrations here

14. Sassy Diva

September 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Well done dear, Great music….well done

15. Pearl

September 7, 2011 at 5:13 pm

One word: Soulful!

16. NNENNE

September 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm

She has got potentials!!!

17. bimbee

September 7, 2011 at 8:42 pm

WOW!!!! I’m loooooooving the new look EVA. And I loooove Ђδω u make flesh look sexy. Today its all about bones. Choi!!! U rily look gorgeous and I have always been a fan of ur music…there is an honesty about it. I see u like an ADELE…only sexier. Pls dnt pay attention to haters. ∂ǝγ nid to constanTly find temporary ways of filling the emptiness ∂ǝγ feel within themselves. ANYBODY who listens and watches u knows U R GOOD! I had goosebumps watching u perform the Nigerian National Anthem at the Late Christy Essien Ibokwe tribute last night. It brought tears to my eyes. U will run this industry soon enough.

18. kelechi

September 7, 2011 at 9:33 pm

@tatafo this ISN’T the rapper. There were 2 Evas. The singer, which is this one came out in 2006 and the rapper surfaced last year or 2years ago. I prefer this Eva tho… She is original…not a nicki minaj wanna be

19. debo

September 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm

What is all this talk about nudity??? I rushed here and I’m not seeing anything! Mscheeeeeew. Nigerians я hypocrites o!!! Does she look naked to u? To him that is pure, all things are pure. Eva congrats on the rebrand. I think u will do great! U have a sweet yet powerful voice and I L♥√ع ur energy on stage every single time. U ROCK!!!!

20. cookie

September 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm

unecessary nudity reali , ok songg @ bukky beyonce goes nude still unpleasant as any otha pesn if ha song is nice it is nice, no two ways bout it

21. Ayo

September 8, 2011 at 2:28 am

@cookie THIS IS NOT NUDE!!!!! do you know what nude is???? i cant see tits or ass or anything… shay it is her skin that is making you say she is nude abi???? Jor o. @debo you said it wella jor… NIGERIANS ARE HYPOCRITES and might i add that they are haters. The average Nigerian doesnt like to see someone progress. They feel left behind, so they hate and try and tear down…. i am reading comments from a lot of ‘averages’. Average is something that Evaezi is not… so i can also understand why they find it hard to comprehend the lady and what she is doing. i personally like the pix. i think it is artistic and i think she looks really beautiful

22. Vero

September 8, 2011 at 2:37 am

so you folks are hating on Evaezi because of her pictures?????? WOW!!! i am speechless. Una go die this way abi?? constantly destroying good things. What is nude about these pictures??? I am looking and i am trying to see what is making you people throw out meaningless and spiteful comments. i pray Evaezi just disregards all you enemies of progress. WO! Evaezi i am a fan of your music. i think you are a wonderful performer. Please… if you wanna strip to your barest minimums.. that is your business, your body, your life…. you owe no one any explanations or apologies my dear but judging from your soulful music over the years..you are not the type. I love the pix. mwaaaaaaaaah!

23. http://mynaijalifestyle.blogspot.com

September 8, 2011 at 2:39 am

wetin she dey rebrand??? she don become naija wey dem rebrand only wit mouth???
    she’s jst showing her lack of self confidence. she hasnt bn able 2 make a gd mark in d industry al dez wyl and now som1 wit a similar name dat jst came is shinin cos pple like d rapper Eva’s songs. a confident musician doesnt need al dez….puleeez!!!

24. cdot

September 8, 2011 at 5:46 am

really great song!!!! and she’s so beautiful! not feelin the blond hair but her skin is flawless

25. www.c5wk6.blogspot.com

September 8, 2011 at 8:34 am

Abeg no cry things go soon beta …dry your eyes make you just dey watch them write they all mean well for u evaezi…take the lead can Bella or anyone send the lyrics of her new song please?

26. neztorr C

September 8, 2011 at 9:52 am

I really don’t know much about her, but when I heard the news I thought it was my Eva, you know? the “Done did It ” rapper, when I clicked and saw Evaezi, I almost fell off my chair. Well, I sincerely do hope she meets up with the music standard in Naija.

27. Teris

September 8, 2011 at 11:08 am

na wa o. how she think am?

28. teamevaezi

September 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Evaezi I love ur energy and sense of humor. I always laugh on twitter when u come . U also have a phenomenal voice.

29. zaquisha

September 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm

me i sha dnt like the first pic….look well…..
    newys cant help but compare her to fantasia, in looks and voice…nice

30. Mike

September 9, 2011 at 9:48 am

Naija, na wetin. What has she done? Your so called decent sisters in your homes go out in dresses half open with their cleavages jutting out like Zuma rock. She is an artist and her posture comes with the trade. Besides, I did not see anything or maybe you did see more… agbaya

31. chidi

September 9, 2011 at 4:18 pm

@mike God bless u jor. So the buzz is on what Eva abi Evaezi is wearing…is that why we я here? U people should put away these childish hypocrisy I beg you. Meanwhile… I love your music Eva…. Chai! This name change will take some getting used to lol but I love ur fighting spirit. Keep it up.

32. Evafanatic

September 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Nice one Evaezi!!!! When is the album due naaaaaa. I L♥√ع ‘God Hand, No Cry and Better than Her’. U r my number 1 female artist i swear.

33. Purpleicious Babe

September 18, 2011 at 12:16 am

NUDE IS NUDE… She is NUDE…

I guess we all like to redefine words.. But she is happy with it abi???…

• Onyema

September 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm

@purple I am soooo tired of all you people’s hypocrisy… you folks do faaaaaar worse. mscheeeeeeeeeeew. SHE IS NOT NUDE!!!!! what EXACTLY is being exposed???? Her skin… So??? i see girls wear skirts short enough to show their pubic hair and you all are hear bitching about body parts THAT I CAN NOT SEE!!! Please check your dictionary on the meaning of nudity. THIS IS NOT WHY WE ARE HERE PLEASE!!! She is a wonderful underrated singer PERIOD! Her sense of style should not concern you or any of us, afterall she is not known to be wayward… so MOVE ON! The unecessary beef u ladies have against eachother is the reason why una never fit hold a major position in Nigeria, whether in Politics or entertainment. SMH!

34. Adeshola

October 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm

i keep wondering what our girls are turning and if you cant do music without going naked……………[email protected], no one is beefing anyone. we all have rights to talk. i actually never saw Eva as someone who could compromise all in the name of been a star. whatever you do, there are people looking up to you. i only wish u lead right. case rested!!!!

35. Gigi