News

Against All Odds, She Survived! Member Feese, Survivor of the Boko Haram Bomb Attack on United Nations Building, Abuja in 2011 shares her story

Since the insurgence of Boko Haram attacks in the northern part of Nigeria, hundreds have been killed and many more injured. Their deadly attacks have left many families mourning over the untimely and cruel death of their loved ones.

Thankfully, some who were at the scene of the attacks have survived and their heart-touching stories are refreshing to hear.

The survival story of 24 year-old Member Feese is a unique one.

On the 26th of August 2011, Member Feese (pronounced mem-bay fey-say) was involved in a bomb blast at the United Nations Building in Abuja which left 19 people dead at the time and many seriously injured. The incident left her with life threatening injuries, which forced her immediate evacuation to London for proper care and treatment. Indeed Member was given only a 3% chance of survival when she arrived the hospital in London.

Thankfully she survived and her accounts and those of her family and friends were recorded in the video below.

In the video, she speaks about her childhood, schooling and how she came to be at the UN building on that fateful day. She had an appointment with someone at the UN building to conduct an interview for her Masters’ Degree Dissertation.

She was at the reception which was one of the worst hit areas of the building, but luckily she survived.

The video also goes on to describe the turmoil her family members faced while trying to find her at the National Hospital, not knowing whether she was dead or alive, after they heard news of the bombing.

They went round the wards, theater and searched for her for hours.

Her sister’s account of how she felt while searching for Member particularly moved me close to tears. “If I didn’t understand what death was, today, I understood what it was and I didn’t want to lose my sister.”

She was later found in the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital with extensive injuries.

Upon discovering that she was in the Intensive Care Unit, her family members could not get any information from the doctors about her status and when it became clear that she couldn’t get proper care at the hospital, she was flown to the UK for treatment.

However, from the time of the blast, Member was unconscious for 1 month.

“The earliest I remember is on the 28th of December, 2011, when I regained full consciousness. But they said I woke up a week before that and I was blinking and that if you ask me what I want I can blink once for yes, twice for no but I didn’t remember much”.

Her doctor also attested that her chances of survival was really slim but she survived!

Now, almost a year later, Member is back in Nigeria and is dedicated to starting her new pet project, an advocacy group dedicated to seeking improved services in hospitals in Nigeria. While comparing the health services in Nigeria and that of UK where she finally recovered from her injuries, Member noted that she was given professional care by a team of specialist doctors in the UK as opposed to the kind of care she received in Nigeria. She is also advocating for improved provision of equipment in Nigerian hospitals.

TeamMember, “is an advocacy group.  So we are fighting for improved service delivery and we are starting with the National Hospital because that is the place that it all started.  In National Hospital they have a CT SCAN but there’s no cable; so we are asking questions like where is the cable? Where is the first aid? They don’t have an MRI Scan; they had to transfer me to Aso Clinic.”

“They don’t have an MRI Scan and the National Hospital is meant to be the main hospital in Abuja so we are just asking basic questions and we are asking those in the national hospital for them to improve the services that they provide.”

Her dream is to become a Development Consultant, working with the World Bank or United Nations. Thankfully, her dream was not cut short and she can live her dream.

God bless you Member!

Watch the heart-touching video below:

Photos from the Thanksgiving Mass & Dinner Celebration for Member Feese in Abuja

Signing Up for Change

Contact: To get in touch with Team Member Advocacy Group in order to sign up for change;

News Source: | Photo Credit: Team Member Facebook Page

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Susan

May 8, 2012 at 9:24 am

Thank you Lord Jesus for Member’s life. Thank you for strengthening her family during this incredibly difficult time, and thank you for the joy that is the Loyola Jesuit bond. We know you have great things in store for Member, Lord, and that this miracle is far from over.

2. chigal

May 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

hmmm,touching. thank God for her life.

3. love

May 8, 2012 at 9:31 am

tears in my eyes…………..tnk God 4 ur life

4. Nimz

May 8, 2012 at 9:35 am

Such a touching and inspiring story. I wept through it. God bless her and I hope she’s able to achieve all that she wants for herself

5. Hadassah

May 8, 2012 at 9:37 am

wow…thank God. God spared your life for a reason Member. All the best

• Gimmer

May 10, 2012 at 2:35 am

the other ones nko? no reason you suppose? Nigerians come up with the most noteworthy words of comfort/sympathy

6. Dayo

May 8, 2012 at 9:43 am

Really touching indeed….our health system is so poor, imagine if her parents couldn’t afford her transfer to the uk she would have died just the way many die on a daily basis. I’m also facing an ordeal now I was mis diagnosed in Abuja and I haven’t been well since then, they kept placing me on anti biotics, had to come to London now and was told I have to undergo a surgery because it was something more serious. May God deliver us in that country. I wouldn’t mind joining this NGO, our govt is still to be blamed though because if funds for the hospitals are not diverted for their selfish reasons, we would have had adequate equpments

7. Isioma Coker

May 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

Thank you Bella for sharing our story! Please note that everyone interested in joining our cause should visit http://www.iamteammember.org to sign up for change and be a part of this movement. We will resuscitate our country!

8. hephzibah

May 8, 2012 at 10:20 am

Ok o. Yet some of you are jubilating over the sack of the Lagos Doctors. I thank Yahweh for the spared life of this lady.

9. Priscy

May 8, 2012 at 10:38 am

Thank God u survived and u are using ur story and experience to make a positive change in Nigeria. More grease to ur elbows.

10. ifeatu

May 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

Member, Thank God for your life and survival. Its admirable that you have made something good of this difficult experience. I hope TeamMember gets all the support it needs to make a difference. See you on those WB corridors!

11. Meena

May 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

Wow… I rejoice with you Member on your survival. A very touching story. The heart of man is desperately wicked, how does anyone want to justify putting people through this kind of pain and yet claim it’s for a just cause?

12. haney

May 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

Hello Adeola Adeyemo, that word is MRI, not MIR. The group is also an advocacy group, not an NGO.
    Facebook: facebook.com/iamteammember
    Twitter: @iamteammember
    Blackberry Messenger: 299795F6
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: http://www.iamteammember.org

• Anonymous

May 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

And by word, you mean acronym, right?

• Mimi

May 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Nice comeback

• Etherial

May 8, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Haney…I think you need to be placed under tight observation, you’re definitely misrepresenting the cause. It’s rather selfish and insensitive to make this plight about you by trying to embarrass someone that means well because of an insignificant grammatical error.

• haney

May 9, 2012 at 2:23 am

My intentions were directed at correcting some aspects of the story and not misrepresenting the cause. We all applaud Mr Adeyemo and the BN team for sharing Member’s story.

13. LPS

May 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

14. shanday

May 8, 2012 at 11:23 am

What a touching story. I thank God for seeing her through this ordeal.

15. Diana

May 8, 2012 at 11:57 am

A very touching story. It could be you or I tomorrow. Lets do our bit to make our country more progressive. She is lucky, her family is relatively well off and so could get her in an air ambulance to Switzerland and treatment in the UK. Many others are on the other side of the track and they also deserve quality healthcare. Lets do our bit to change our country.

16. Thelma

May 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

WOW!!! THANK GOD FOR HER LIFE… A HUMBLE AND SWEET GURL INDEED, GLAD I MET YOU..

17. Gennyz # 1 Fan!!!!

May 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Wow I thank God for her life…thank God Loyola didn’t have to suffer yet another terrible loss! They’ve already lost enough people as it is..

18. Nikki

May 8, 2012 at 12:32 pm

All I can say is THANK GOD FOR MEMBER! I didn’t have to read her story before i joined the group. That particular bomb blast was so emotional for me cos i had been in that building in 2008 and gone to their field office in Lagos, when i came to Nigeria for my internship. I remember that we had to do security training, as that should help us to escape from bomb blasts and war conditions..I was so hesitant and reluctant to do that training because i thought to myself “this is so unnecessary and extreme, we don’t do bomb blasts in Nigeria”. It’s so real to me now. God really has a purpose for Member’s life, and for every one of us as well. Please let us save our country, every little help counts. God bless Nigeria!

19. pynk

May 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

She found her calling out of disaster. God bless her.

20. ebere

May 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm

21. fokasibe

May 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I just believe that she is called for a purpose and God alone knows why He kept her. Member, the Lord is strong and mighty in your life and I pray that the very purpose for which you were saved will be actualized…..You rock girl!!

22. Owner of friend

May 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Thank you Bella Naija for the coverage of Member’s story but there are a lot of erroneous statements in this article which is why you should be careful who you reference or source information form. Like someone pointed out, Team Member is an advocacy group not NGO. Member wasn’t unconscious for four months and woke up earlier than December. Also it’s MRI not MIR scan.

And there are no links or contact details for the advocacy group Team Member. Thankfully, someone has been gracious enough to leave those as a comment.

I think it’s best the article be taken off and the necessary adjustments made so that it is not seen as misleading.

23. I love Shuga!

May 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Member! We love you and we thank God for you! He spared your life for a reason!

24. amethyst

May 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm

tears in my eyes too soo sad .God she is probably my age,its sooo sad but i thank God she survived,i never want to stop being grateful to God for keeping me and or my family it could have been anyone.I thank God for her life and i pray that the good Lord would bring these people to justice soon.

25. kejel

May 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Glory be to God Almighty! am so so hapi u survived,u r such nice and humble girl.I pray d lord strengthen u d more n make ur dreams come thru

26. Debby

May 8, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thank God for Member’s life! We can’t thank Him enough.

27. Ure

May 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm

i had teras in my eyes, Member i thank God for rescuing you, we have a long way to go in this country and i hope that TeamMember will take us close to the great future we all envisage for our great country. you have such lovely family and friends. thank God indeed for the miracle of restoration.

28. 'Mina

May 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thank God for you Member! Sometimes,it i snot what happens to us that matters but what we do to what happens to us… God bless you

29. Purpleicious Babe

May 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I saw her video first on facebook, very touching and grateful for her life. I am thankful to God for her life and using her and family for a purpose that will change the face Niaja for the best.

I pray her healing will be permanent in JESUS NAME. AMEN.

I pray God will continue to protect us like he protected the Israelite like a cloud of smoke by day and pillar of fire by night.

But I am sorry off topic. some nicee looking dudes…lol… mmmmmm(ok, renew mind).

30. Nneka

May 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Member i thank God for your life, he healed you so you should be thankful to him for the rest of your life.Such a touching story,i held back my tears.I wish you all the best.

31. Maureen Opara

May 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thank God for Member, the good Lord that spared your life will gant your heart desires and give you protection IJN Amen

32. konnie

May 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I praise God for you and thank you Mother Mary. Made me think of other victims without means. this boko cancer has to be stopped in Jesus Holy Name. Amen

33. LadyLuck

May 8, 2012 at 8:57 pm

God bless you Member and May God continue to keep you and your family.

34. damsel

May 8, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Cant hold back the tears,such a touching story.Truly God has spared your life for a reason.God bless you for the change you plan to impact concerning healthcare,very thoughtful and kind of you.Wish i could meet you.People lets have one voice and continue to pray for this country. Ordinarily healthcare should be topmost on our priority list as a nation.,so we dont have to keep flying abroad for treatment and doctors would not have to leave the country or go on strike. What if her parents could not afford to fly her abroad? What would have happened?Thank God for your life member.You are truly a star.May the good Lord continue to keep you and the rest of us from such evil. AMEN.

35. Anon..

May 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Thank God for your life Member….What if she did not come from a family who could afford to send her out for proper treatment? Another promising life would have been cut short. I wonder what Nigerian leaders are doing? Its not like things would improve after seeing this video. Must we wait to make a change when the Nation is no more. Hospitals dont have the right equipments, high mortality rate of pregnant mothers, etc. I pray, I really pray Nigeria’s change is near. I can only wonder how many “poor” people must have died from this UN attack.

36. y

May 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm

BN I wrote the comment above but decided to further express some points please delete the first one and leave this one if possible!
    Member I dont know if u can read this or a friend who can pass it on, but your story has been on my mind and I can understand the inner fear that has come from this experience. You expressing you cant be alone in its self is part of the suffering that comes from such an ordeal which the devil wants to still hold u in. Member remember that YOU SURVIVED this turmoil, God had his shield over u in order that u may show the devil that His mighty hand is on you. You must break free from the fear of living as you are here for a great purpose. Even if its not something necessarily “life changing” for someone else, or anything that may be manifest in this apparent world, in the spiritual world it is to remind the devil that he can only go so far with his evil, As God is still God! Live your life Member remembering that fear is only a trap to keep u locked in the incident as the devil was unable to succeed in taking your life, free your mind with the mighty blood of Jesus in every move you make and you will soon see how quickly you heal mentally. This means quite literally say out loud “I am covered by the blood of Jesus Christ and no harm shall come to me because He is my shield, my fortress, my glory and the lifter of my head” (The last part of this beautiful prayer emphasises on the Lords protection of our feelings. The lifter of our heads, symbolising Him raising our down caste heads, our troubled heads and fearful innermost)
    You may always wonder- “why did this happen to me”, “why did I have to be the one at the UN building”, “why is that I survived”, “what If I dont fulfil the purpose God may have laid out in sparing my life.” Well I just happened to read a great excerpt today on human suffering and why God allows this happen, and this was expressed-
    “Our world teaches us that by understanding something, we can diminish it’s power over us. Education eradicates poverty or war or suffering, etc. But in moments of tragedy, knowing why something happens rarely numbs the pain of loss. That’s when it becomes clear that we don’t need answers as much as we need healing.” What this points out is that the questions of why people are so heartless, why it happens to innocent people, if it could be you, are virtually useless. We must focus on HOW we can move on in a world of evil with every faith in the good nature of God and rely on His healing.
    Dont let these questions plague your mind, you would need to let go and let God unveil these reasonings for you which will all make sense at an appointed time. Till then, u must work on your emotional healing! Your physical healing is clearly being attended to and with all the support you are stronger by the day, but only you know the thoughts that come with this ordeal and you must fight the good fight in your mind. That same resilience you pulled through with, that same strength and determination that willed you to be alive must be adopted in your thinking to- will you to LIVE.
    This goes to everyone, fear is a form of bondage, anxiety and worry we battle with every day of our lives, we mus actively decide to answer back to our selves and say no, and confess that satan is a Liar, and so long as there is a mighty God, His perfect and GOOD will in our lives will be done.
    Good luck sweet Member, God bless you and I wish u every speedy recovery.

37. Lulu

May 9, 2012 at 12:12 am

Touchy indeed!! Thank God she had that opportunity to be flewn abroad for treatment! Nigeria really has to step it up, even ordinary India has better health care than we do in Nigeria…..What a shame 🙂

• Biodun

May 9, 2012 at 11:45 am

Err India is NOT ordinary. Even Europeans now fly to India to get cheaper treatment.

38. NNENNE

May 9, 2012 at 12:37 am

Thank God for her life. The change we seek in Nigeria lies in every single one of us…the tax payers, the collectors , those who plan and put the money in use.It is more than oil exportation.(Nigerians are quick to tell anyone how much oil they export.)

39. Wowza

May 9, 2012 at 5:25 am

Member God bless you, you are truly strong, LJC family really came through as well and that is awesome. God has a purpose for your life and that purpose will be fulfilled in Jesus name. Amen!!!!!

40. prijes

May 9, 2012 at 10:20 am

its d lord’s doin and he’s marvelous in our sight.

41. prijes

May 9, 2012 at 10:21 am

I tnk God 4 ur life.

42. Abi

May 9, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Very gracious family..

Glory to God almighty for His hand in this situation and for knowing the end from the beginning.

43. OLOJO

May 9, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Thank God for ur life member. I’m deeply touched by ur testimony, Hold on to God coz He spared ur life for a purpose. Ur story is so touching… Clear lessons for us all. I’m glad u have turned ur pain to PURPOSE. I support ur cause! #IAMATEAMMEMBER

44. i thank God almighty 4 sparing ur life. hes purpose 4 ur life will be established.

May 10, 2012 at 7:37 am

facebook

45. ttt

May 10, 2012 at 6:52 pm

God bless her and her family. and God have mercy and protection on us all that wish her well in our hearts.May we hv peace and progress in this country.

46. NubianQueen

May 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm

i am so glad you had a great support system and above all God’s divine helpers and healing hands upon you…you shall fulfill you destiny. And those people that did not survive may their souls rest in Perfect peace…Boko Haram shall be caught by force or by fire…we need to join forces and begin to pray again terrorism against Africa…..

47. vickky

May 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

Team member should please get access to her medical records in national hospital. The hours and amount of work done on her from various specialists (anaesthesiologists,trauma surgeons, orthopaedic surgeons, vascular surgeons, radiologists, haematologists)is definately not reflected in her press statements. She was brought in virtually dead!!! Not breathing, unconcious and even had a cardiac arrest and was treated up to the point that she could withstand the seven hour long flight to the uk by air ambulance and now she says health care is inadequate in national hospital. God dey. we dey vex o!

48. Adinya Moses

June 16, 2017 at 9:15 am

For God said to Moses, “I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose. Thank God Almighty for his mercy upon your life, I love you sis.