News

BN Cuisine with Chef Fregz: The Italian Job

Hiya guys,

I’ve been having a pretty busy week.(Yes, yes! The story of my life) But I simply had to share the simple pleasures of Italian flavours with you great folks at BellaNaija.

Before I go on, I’d like to quickly address the question of where I shop for my ingredients. I do the bulk of my shopping at Shoprite (Lekki and Alausa), Goodies (Kofo Abayomi Victoria Island, Mobolaji Bank Anthony Ikeja and Apapa), Park n Shop (Adeola Odeku Victoria Island)La Pointe(Kofo Abayomi Victoria Island) and Oasis Supermarket (Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way Ikeja next to Sheraton Opic Plaza)

I think I’m a little addicted to Oasis  because even when I’m not shopping for work I give a myself a “valid reason” to drive there to get something; brown bread, fresh herbs or wine. (Please don’t judge!). So on one of those Oasis days, as I wandered slowly up each aisle I spotted a range of fresh style pasta in both pappardelle and fettuccine cuts and immediately I reached out for the pappardelle and right there I started creating a dish in my head. Of course i decided to go for Italian. I wanted something simple but full of flavour so tomatoes and herbs came to my mind. I picked up the pasta with a pack of red cherry tomatoes and proceeded to the till.

So, I had cream, pomodoro tomato sauce (NOT tomato puree), springs of fresh thyme and some crushed garlic. I was good to go. I cut the cherry tomatoes in half and chop one small onion finely. In a pan, some olive oil and the chopped onions got a good stir fry, then I added about a cup of the pomodoro (ready made tomato sauce).For seasoning I had salt, black pepper, a sprig of thyme and some Knorr seasoning cubes. I allowed the sauce sizzle out till it was almost dry and all that was left was a thick pulp. At that point the cream went in and bubbled till it became a smooth, thick but silky sauce.  I set the sauce aside and I boiled the pasta in salted water till it was al dente. (This is a nice fancy word for pasta that is cooked firm, not hard but nicely textured).

I grabbed my tongs (my favorite kitchen utensil in the whole wide world) and I transferred the pasta to the sauce and over the heat I tossed the pasta in the sauce till it sort of dressed the pasta. Note that I didn’t drench the pasta in the sauce o! If, however, you prefer drenching please go ahead and make some more sauce to spoon over.

I completed the dish with a generous sprinkling of cracked black pepper and some garlic and chive cream cheese.

The fresh pasta was a break from the Golden Penny business we all know and have come to love *wink*. And the sauce mixed with the cream cheese was absolutely divine.

If you look closely you’d notice I didn’t add meat to the dish and this was deliberate. I was going for plain, simple, and different. However, if you feel the need to have this dish with meat or some protein then by all means do. I recommend chicken or tiny meatballs. For chicken, a simple marinade of rosemary and garlic would accompany the pasta very well. For the meatballs, I’d recommend some Italian seasoning; fresh herbs such as parsley and chives.

What Did I Need For This Dish?

1 pack fresh pasta (I personally recommend some pasta from La Pointe in V.I. They have some amazing variety from black squid ink pasta to tri-color farfalle. It’s a little bit more expensive but i promise you its worth it. )

1 small box or can of pomodoro or plum tomatoes (not more than 200 grams)

Knorr seasoning cubes (to your preference)

Salt

Black pepper

Cream (cooking or double cream is fine here)

Crushed garlic

Garlic and chive cream cheese

I hope you try this easy but great recipe this weekend. Remember recipes are guidelines, so get creative. If something strikes you, go ahead and try it. Like I always say,  take a picture and send to features(at)bellanaija(dot)com. There may just be a prize waiting for you.

Have a great weekend filled with amazing flavors!

A Bientôt

Chef Fregz loves to cook! He is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Paris Culinary Arts School in France and hosts monthly “Chef Fregz Specials” where he whips up a yummy menu with a different theme each time then everyone enjoys a taste. He also caters special events and private dinners.
To find out more, visit http://theskinnychefthatcould.wordpress.com/

Chef Fregz loves to cook! He is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Paris Culinary Arts School in France and hosts monthly “Chef Fregz Specials” where he whips up a yummy menu with a different theme each time then everyone enjoys a taste. He also caters special events and private dinners. To find out more visit www.cheffregz.com. Chef Fregz provides premium private catering services. For bookings and orders email [email protected] – @Chef_Fregz on Instagram and Twitter. You can check out the Chef Fregz Page on Facebook as well.

1. ArabianPrincess

June 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Chef Fregz… do U have an intention of having a cookery class/school) or if such currently exists, kindly met me kw…Merci!

2. ArabianPrincess

June 8, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Chef Fregz… do U have an intention of having a cookery class/school or if such currently exists, kindly let* me kw…Merci!

3. Foxy

June 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm

This pix got me hungry…..I WANT SO BAD

4. ileola

June 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm

italian food in Naija – what will you eat when you actually visit italy – Eba !!
    why do we nigerian celebrate everything else apart from waht is ours. fetuccine !!

whats that – why dont you come up with dishes made up with ingredients locally sourced and one that majority of nigerians not nly recognise but can make and buy – that is what makes a chef – not a copy cat – be original !! – you dont see a french chef creating italian dishes or a greek one fawning over a spanish delicacy

• ZK

June 8, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Seriously Ileola I think you have issues and you are a local depressed sadist….tchewwwww

• Truth be told

June 9, 2012 at 12:40 am

and if he wants to go international nko? he didnt say he cant make naija food. celebrate your own abeg. y cant people just not be too critical? na wa sha

• Sir Skywalker

June 9, 2012 at 12:49 am

..errr..yes….all good chefs know about other cultural cuisines outside their own, you ignorant individual. And did Chef Fregs tell you he cant cook nigerian food? please stop being overly sentimental and attempt to sound intelligent.

• tweeter

June 9, 2012 at 4:03 am

Because Nigerians are multifaceted so it DOES NOT HAVE TO BE eba.
      Because he was trained in this kind of cuisine so he SPECIALIZES in them
      Because Nigerians do not take culinary art seriously. In Nigeria, food is for consumption, period.
      Because the people who cook Nigerian food have not submitted entries to BellaNaija
      Because you are yet to see Nigerian chefs and culinary enthusiast such as Alhaji Baba Sheri and Lohi’s Creations put Nigerian cuisine on the map

You have displayed too much ignorance to ever use the internet again.

• CutieToxie

June 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Oh God Bless You Real Good!!

• lala

June 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm

don’t be stupid. he is Nigerian not a Nigerian food chef, there is a difference. open your eyes and broaden your horizons and stop living in a box. if you don’t like his food, goo
      to your kitchen and keep making your Nigerian food. SIMPLE

• Italian Mistress

June 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hi Ileola, please check out http://www.bellanaija.com/2011/09/06/bn-cuisine-food-and-emotions/ maybe you’ll have a better understanding

5. Miss Kay

June 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Please what kind of cream can I use? Is there a brand I can just ask for at the grocery store? Plus do you slather the cream cheese over the entire dish or use it as a dip?

6. anon

June 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Love love it, thanks

7. iamfascinating

June 8, 2012 at 8:07 pm

looks sumptuous!

Do you know the main causes of skin damage are high sugar-intake, hydroquinone and sun exposure? protect your skin with key skincare tips at http://www.thestunninglady.blogspot.com

8. Mssexy

June 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm

my cordon bleu, na lie – no be U & I go do pasta, ‘am werking’ on ma hips
    bring on those salads, they’ll do me some good *wink*

9. Ola

June 8, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Amazing chef….good job, I like the vegetarian twist!

10. revivedafrikana

June 9, 2012 at 1:33 am

chop better ooo and live better 🙂

11. Turayo

June 9, 2012 at 4:33 am

Chef? How about some Nigerian, or even some African dishes?

12. onyemalu uchechi

June 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

I like  pasta,its bigger n different.n to whom it may concern, a good chef is suppose to kno hw to make oda countries dish.We look for Eba n soup wen we travel outside bcos we miss it n wen we r in our country we do same.

13. Anon

June 10, 2012 at 10:01 am

@Tweeter! Your response has made my night! What food do we have in Nigeria again please? I will definately be trying this out in my kitchen…Very myopic Nigerian! Grab a life please…and while you’re at it, think outside the box! hehe

14. Okechukwu Ofili

June 10, 2012 at 10:08 am

Nice one man!

15. Dazzle

June 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Thats why Nigeria is still wher it is, because people like ‘ileola’ exist.

16. Fola

June 10, 2012 at 11:32 pm

LoL

17. chubaba

June 11, 2012 at 7:52 am

wooowz… Chef fregz… the meal looks delightful.. You need to open up Acookery class/school as arabian princess stated i’ve an army of batchelor’s waiting too swarm the class.

18. LOLS

June 11, 2012 at 9:11 am

Love this!!! Can’t wait to try it. Chef Fregz, it woud be great help if you can put up pics of the actual ingredients/products you use as well next time. Thanks!

19. Berry Choco Latte

June 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm

LOVE everybody’s response to ileola!!!!!!!!!! LOL to the nth degree :p

20. ArabianPrincess

June 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Ileola…U kinda messed up with the wrong people. I grew up eatin’ eba all my life and i can tell U, i have eaten enuf for a lifetime dear.For want of change, i dont fink there is any harm in trying what Chef Fregz has got to offer + sum pple have hidden passion for cookin’. I fink U shld just imbibe what @tweeter told U, it will help U now and in future too dear!

21. Turayo

June 12, 2012 at 1:02 am

I agree with Ileola, I do. Nigeria has its own dishes, especially considering the many different cultures we have. Other chefs work with food from their culture, and I would like to see Chef Fregz present us with something that is African, not only Nigerian. The entire continent has an amazing repertoire of cuisine. If I want Italian, I’ll go to an Italian chef. I want Nigerian, African, that’s why I’m on Bella Naija.

22. hot momma n future gastronomic star

June 12, 2012 at 1:08 am

oh ileola! ileola! ileola! hide ur head. u r with the wrong crowd.

23. Chynadollng

June 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

Yes, Chef Fregz, what cream do i get?
    Father’s day is coming, would love to do something really different and special for my Boo *eyelashes*

24. ArabianPrincess

June 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Is it that Chef Fregz is busy cooking or e doesnt have time to reply us? *rme*