News

‘The Greatest Show on Earth’ Lives up to its Name! Lights, Drama & Spectacular Highlights from the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony

It is always a delight to watch the opening ceremony of a world class sporting event as the Olympics. The colours, the fanfare, lights, drama, music and suspense of the opening ceremony is usually one that keeps me glued to my seat. It is always a must-see for me and my family.

At every Olympic games, host nations try to outdo each other in presenting an opening ceremony that would forever linger in the minds of people. That of the London 2012 Olympic Games was no exception. It was spectacle at its finest.

The field was turned into what resembled a movie set and the display of the British culture through dance, acting and singing performances was a indeed a spectacular one. Nurses, doctors, patients all dancing; traditional farmlands with pigs and all; classical music; playing the piano with the tip of an umbrella; orchestra and more.

And oh my favourite, Mr. Bean’s hilarious performance. That really cracked me up.

The Athletes Parade was another highlight of the event. They moved at a fast pace to the beat of songs like Pet Shop Boy’s ‘West End Girls,’ the Bee Gee’s ‘Staying Alive’ and Adele’s ‘Rolling in the Deep’. It was like watching a movie with a rocking soundtrack.

Team Great Britain and Team USA got some of the loudest ovation as the athletes walked past. But of course, I gave my loudest to Team Nigeria. They looked beautiful in their white and green traditional outfits, waving the Nigerian flag.

The torch lighting ceremony is one of the most exciting parts of any Olympics. This year, the torchbearer’s identity had been a well-kept secret.

We all wondered who would light the torch and in the end the organisers sprang a surprise as seven teenage athletes lit copper petals brought in by each of the 204 countries which converged in spectacular fashion to form the cauldron in the middle of the Olympic Stadium. This was after David Beckham transported the flame by speedboat under Tower Bridge to the stadium.

Another exciting part of the event was the lights. Bright lights that could be seen for many miles lit up the place.

The amazing show had an estimated television audience of one billion tuned in worldwide to witness what had been billed as the Greatest Show on Earth.

Here’s wishing Team Nigeria the very best at the London 2012 Olympic Games!

Here are some pictures from the exciting event:

Lights

Lighting the Olympic Torch

Performances

Athletes Parade

The Royal Family

Credits: USA Today | Daily Mail

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. hmm

July 28, 2012 at 5:18 am

When will it be hosted in naij now?

• ofilispeaks

July 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm

when NEPA stops taking light.

• kesh

July 28, 2012 at 11:57 pm

lmao thats a good one

• ij

July 30, 2012 at 8:54 am

God bless you for this comment.

• Nafisat

July 31, 2012 at 5:50 am

nice one. lol

2. Lady D

July 28, 2012 at 5:39 am

It was so beautiful. I know Nigeria will make us Proud!!! God Bless 🙂

3. Evann

July 28, 2012 at 5:56 am

I enjoyed the James Bond scene the most esp wen he & d queen skydived out of the plane.I tot it was for real.
    Wow,it was a spectacular ceremony..
    Big up to u ,UK!!!!!!!!!

4. faith

July 28, 2012 at 6:19 am

It was filled with wows and it was so spectacular.laughted very hard wen Mr Bean came on air.I really enjoyed the ceremony last night.Goodluck to team Naija!

5. @ajiriavae

July 28, 2012 at 7:35 am

It was such good fun. It was a perfect show. Reminding the world about what makes the British unique and.
    My only issue is that, fashion wise, the Nigerian athletes did not impress me. With all that is going on in the fashion industry in this country, one would have expected that the LOC would work with a designer/ team of designers to come up with something modern, something Nigerian but wearable to an international market. I found it really disappointing that they went with the same old, same old (green and white none the less) no impact outfits.

6. Bianca

July 28, 2012 at 7:58 am

@ hmm

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
    Nigeria is not capable of hosting anything let alone the olympics. Naija, still has a long way to go. The Nigeria needs to be fixed first from all the NONSENSE going on.

7. iTawa

July 28, 2012 at 8:10 am

Well I was waiting for the parade of nations to see my naija (was supa dupa proud) and ofcourse team usa. I def agree with Bianca! @ hmm, nigeria is NEVER gonna host an event such as the Olympics, not even the world cup! I love my country but this is an obvious fact!

Newayz, overall the british tried with their opening ceremony but IMO, China definitely topped this…sorry! #still love you Boyle!

• Denise

July 30, 2012 at 11:37 am

Dont say ‘NEVER’. Its like you are condenming you’re own country.

I’m british born but I still have hope for Nigeria and I believe we will one day be in a position to host a worldwide spectacle such as the Olympics. We are some away, but there is always hope because a country with so much potential will definately fulfill its pontential one day 🙂

8. xty

July 28, 2012 at 9:25 am

At least thankGod naija didn’t come out with different types of ankara!! We didn’t totally fall hand but we no still try sha!

9. Myne Whitman

July 28, 2012 at 9:32 am

yes, China and Korea were better I think, but I loved the storytelling in the London 2012 opening ceremony. Very proud of naija too 🙂

Hey, writer did you miss the queen parachuting in with James Bond? Hahaha…

10. Oma

July 28, 2012 at 9:43 am

Mehn, nothing is gon be better than the Beijing Olympics. London tried but, Beijing was waaayyyy better

• lily

July 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

@Oma exactly my tots!!!! Beijing was d real deal. the opening ceremony was too “british” for even tho i live in the Uk…but d show had its moments tho. all in all…good show

11. ij

July 28, 2012 at 10:39 am

highlights for me
    the British heritage bit of the event, it was very well executed
    Senegal , that vibrant yellow couldnt be beaten, it was just so vibrant and eye catching
    Mr Bean was entertaining
    of course the 007 moves by Daniel craig and the queen
    the lighting of the flames was just breathtaking, it was genius

low point
    Mohammed Ali, i think they need to leave him to rest now, he is too frail for all this wahala

12. ij

July 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

forgot to add , good to see Caster Semenya again

13. Luqman

July 28, 2012 at 11:43 am

@Whitman…. Agreed on Beijing 2008 but Seoul 88 is old skool

14. Ogonna

July 28, 2012 at 11:55 am

It was glamorous and Britain tried, but it cannot still be compared with what China did four years ago, that was spectacular. those saying Nigeria cant do it are just pessimists, all these countries started some way, somehow, we should unanimously work towards it and we would surprise ourselves and more still, the world!

15. Lps

July 28, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Yes ooo.That our tax money doing justice to the opening show#okbye

16. KingsQueen

July 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Those saying China was the best most definately missed Sydney2000, they set the pace for others to follow! Still the most spectacular opening ceremony till date!

Huge Thumbs up to the Brits, i just love their sense of humor with the ‘Queen’ jumping outta a chopper (mad jokes) & Mr Bean (Clown of Life) and the cauldron is one of a kind!

Naija did well with their outfits, from the gele to the mix of green and white colors! African swag on point if you ask me

17. TRUTH

July 28, 2012 at 12:59 pm

lagos 3012!!! support the movement! naija gats to dey start preparing now

• Tiki

July 30, 2012 at 5:24 pm

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!

Wait…it was a joke, right?

18. helen

July 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm

british people as usual…BORING and ODD.this show was like a burial ceremony.ah ah. why did they even use danny boyle abi they haven’t seen his films.the stadium was not even filled up and the opening ceremony was rubbish.why were they showing it like a show about the history of britain.it’s the OLYMPICS for crying out loud,and this is even their second time hosting it.and trust…only a NIGERIAN athlete was wearing sunshades that night*shakes head*

19. Lizzie

July 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm

@Myne, that was one of the high points. cool opening i must say.
    The fireworks were wow!!!

20. Theodora

July 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I totally agree Beijing 2008 was the ish, I was expecting a woah performance, but still they tried, loved the Mr Bean stunt.. i hope team nigeria comes home with some gold

21. Mata Hari

July 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm

We know Ralph Lauren designed America’s, Stella McCartney designed GB’s, Armani designed Italy’s but who designed the outfits of Team Nigeria?

• jonz

July 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm

So because 3 well established countries in fashion had designers, we should automatically have them too? 🙁

• BrittanyVaughn

July 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm

That’s so funny

22. Africandecor(click)

July 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm

i loved the integration of old british culture into the ceremony. . . they did it in their own style, u just need to understand their culture to appreciate it.

23. Pendo

July 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm

no it was terrible felt like i was in school during history lessons…..Danny Boyle got it wrong this was not about the UK it was about athletics and the world in general unless you live in or have lived in the UK most people had no clue what was going on things like the NHS and the pop segment for example the only thing i liked was the twist in the lighting of the torch by the oung athletes as opposed to an already known athletic figure my city fell my hand big time!!!!!……Beijing was way better

24. Princess of Zion

July 28, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Beautiful! Absolutely breath taking! The most spectacular and amazing part of is the coming together of 205 nations! Yes, they’re all competing but it’s so amazing that this event will bring us all together. This was so beautifully symbolised by the the Olympic Cauldron, formed of 205 copper petals coming together. AMAZING!!

25. NNENNE

July 29, 2012 at 4:56 am

I was busy and could not watch everything but I made sure I watched team Naija. Loved their outfit… simple , good color combination, contemporary, yet traditional.

26. ij

July 30, 2012 at 9:03 am

we don hear , it wasn’t like Beijing , but i think the whole point wasn’t to out do china , they just wanted to show England to the world and they did just that , it was very well executed in my opinion

27. sex hattı

July 22, 2020 at 7:46 pm

You can have Sex Line, Sex Chat Line, Chat Line, Sex Chat on Phone, Live Sex Chat, Live Chat with Real ladies. You can always call the Sex line that will not cause any trouble.