News

Former Wheelbarrow Pusher & Bus Conductor becomes the Best Post-UTME candidate at Obafemi Awolowo University! Uche Okwuoha Excels as a Law Student

Uche Okwuoha once slept under the bridge, roamed the streets as a tout, worked as a bus conductor and wheelbarrow pusher. Today, he has a different story.

After scoring the highest mark in the Obafemi Awolowo University post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination in the 2010/2011 academic session (320 out of 400), he sits proud as a Law student in the institution’s Faculty of Law.

An indigene of Imo State, the 27 year-old shared his inspiring story with Punch.

At the time he was leaving his secondary school at Okigwe, Imo State, his intention was to gain admission to any University, join a cult group and kill as many people as he could.

Having heard that cult boys were very strong and fearful, he was eager to go to the University to join a cult group. “I had heard that cult boys were strong people and that people feared them. I also heard that as a student you could only succeed on campus if you were a member of a cult group. I told myself that I would join a cult group and kill as many people as I could,” he told Punch.

According to him, this was also the desire of most of his friends in Secondary School at that time. The boys believed that if they weren’t in a cult group, they wouldn’t be able to survive on campus.

However, after making failed attempts at his West African Senior Secondary School Examinations, General Certificate Examination, and the Unified Matriculation Examinations, he became frustrated.

He roamed the streets of Imo for a while and later decided to leave home so his parents would have enough money to take care of the remaining eight children.

Uche recounted that he left his parents home to live with his brother in a one-room apartment in Imo where he had to become a wheel-barrow pusher and a bus conductor to make ends meet. “It was very challenging and risky,” he said.

He later decided to move to Lagos and lived with his uncle. After some months, he left there to another brother’s place and began his life on the streets. “I rarely slept at home. I would sleep under bridges. My life back then was a mess. I was always drunk. There was nothing I did not smoke. I became so promiscuous.”

“I did not think I would get out of the pit, my life was just a mess. I had become an agbero. Going to school was not even an option. I would roam about the streets of Lagos smoking and drinking.”

But one day, when he was staying with an aunt, he got to hear about a college that trained students to write external examinations. “One day I was outside my aunt’s shop and I saw one young boy holding some books. I was just curious about where he was going, so I stopped him and asked; he then told me about a college that prepares students to write external examinations. Right there, I felt this joy. It was like my dark days were over.”

He enrolled for his UTME tutorials at Adams College in Oshodi. Despite many challenges he faced, he scored 289 in his UTME and went on to score 320 at the post-UTME later that year.

He receieved a full scholarship from Mr Adebola Adams, the Proprietor of Adams College who described Uche’s story as remarkable.

Uche advised parents to spend more time with their children. Speaking on his aspirations, he hopes to be the best graduating student and plans “to get a Master’s degree in any reputable university abroad. My dream is to reach the apex of my career.”

Well done Uche Okwuoha!

Photo Credit: Punch

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Chattyzee

August 21, 2012 at 4:47 am

Amazing! And remarkable indeed.

2. Miss Pepeye

August 21, 2012 at 4:49 am

Planned to “kill as many people as possible”. I’m not sure if i should laugh or not. But thank God for your turn-around Uche. When there is life, there is hope and we all can aspire to do greater things.

• Purpleicious Babe

August 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

i know…. thank God that happened the experience that is. chia. imagine.. i say God knows the intentions of man….

thank God for the Uturn.

3. T

August 21, 2012 at 5:04 am

I love these stories please keep them coming.

4. enkay

August 21, 2012 at 5:25 am

congrats uche

5. Aibee

August 21, 2012 at 5:26 am

Congrats Uche. The sky is the limit. I pray that God helps you to achieve all your dreams. I believe that set back was used by God to get you to where he wants you to be.

I know Adams Adebola Integral Coaching Class (full name of Adams College) I attended GCE classes there. Mr Adms has a passion to see students succeed. Despite graduating with a 1st Class in Engineering from OAU, he followed his passion and started a ‘lesson’. Today he awards full scholarships to the best students from his school.

I use Uche and Mr Adams as a point of contact and pray that God will help all those who are wasting away their destinity in the wrong places to reach their ‘aha-moment’ and may they find help when it is nedded, in Jesus name, Amen.

6. intheoverseas

August 21, 2012 at 5:58 am

kudos!

7. onnari

August 21, 2012 at 7:03 am

what an inspiring read. this confirms that Nigerians are such a strong, determined people. we are built for greater things.

8. iamfascinating

August 21, 2012 at 7:04 am

wow.this drive is remarkable. Privileged children need to know that its hard hard work that will keep you at the top not Daddy’s connection. Well done, Uche! God bless you with success!

9. LPS

August 21, 2012 at 7:25 am

10. nita

August 21, 2012 at 8:07 am

truly inspiring……u can be anytin if u work hard 4 it with passion!

11. AnONYMouS

August 21, 2012 at 8:15 am

Inspired! Your background truly is not an excuse…

12. Exclusive

August 21, 2012 at 8:34 am

Na wa oo,because he was a wheel barrow pusher or bus conductor mean he should has a dull brain?????????

• Audrey

August 21, 2012 at 10:07 am

you obviously did not read the article. do yourself a favour and read it.It might inspire you to pay attention more

• laide

August 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

as Audrey said…you obviously did not read the article.

• ACDC

August 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm

CANT/DONT U READ??

• JJ

August 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I do not understand how you can make a statement like that after refusing to read the post. What even upsets me more is your boldness to “shell”/ gbaguan at the end of your sentence.

13. QueenofEverything

August 21, 2012 at 9:58 am

very remarkable, makes you wonder about the people that have the opportunity handed to them on a silver platter and yet do nothing with it.
    Well done Uche, this is just the begining!

14. mm

August 21, 2012 at 9:58 am

Iamfascinating stop hating on priviledged children juh! Is it their fault that their parents are rich? What makes you think that every ‘priviledged child’ doesnt work hard?

15. Grace`

August 21, 2012 at 11:02 am

Wow…….Its never over until its over.

16. tina

August 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

success all the way. God is your Strength

17. Gold

August 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Congrats Uche!!

18. Oma

August 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I told a friend once that some of these people we Tag touts don not know about an alternative to a better way of life and she said yeah right.
    Ignorance is the root of many ills.
    Information is empowering. “One day I was outside my aunt’s shop and I saw one young boy holding some books. I was just curious about where he was going, so I stopped him and asked; he then told me about a college that prepares students to write external examinations. Right there, I felt this joy. It was like my dark days were over.”
    Well Done Uche.
    God bless you even more

19. R

August 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Wow, nothing short of inspiring. I wish him success!

20. London

August 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Greatly saddened that this is an ambition by people as young as 16 in Nigeria! — “as a student you could only succeed on campus if you were a member of a cult group. I told myself that I would join a cult group and kill as many people as I could” —- Something needs to be done about dispelling these notions and reducing cults!

How does one think so naturally that they want to kill as many people as possible! Scary!

21. faith

August 21, 2012 at 5:12 pm

This goes to show the bad n wrong oreintations young boy s havE b4 entering the university…SMH..thank God he didn’t enter the univesity Immediatly he finished sec school… can’t even imagine d number of pple he wuld av killed..anyway I wish him well in allhis hardwork!

22. hansel praise

August 21, 2012 at 7:32 pm

i am so happy for this young man and i wish him success.he is an inspiration 2 many.

23. nnelil

August 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm

“Enter university, join cult and kill as many pple as posiible. How can pple think that”. I think he shld open up a forum for young guys to educate them abt his experience. Esp pple who are in this same condition as he was . He needs to impact on pple the lessons life has tot him. Cos God spared him for reason not only fore his educatn. Meanwhile its pple lyk Adams dat shld receive honourary awards he deserves one. May God bless him. Kudos boy for ur achievement so far

24. omada

August 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm

amazing!

25. NNENNE

August 22, 2012 at 1:47 am

INSPIRING !
    Nice stories BN. The youth are looking up to you.

26. olu

August 22, 2012 at 11:45 am

Amazing and inspiring but nigerian govt still have a long way to go for nigeria youths.

27. my beat

August 22, 2012 at 11:48 am

Congrats Uche. Pls don’t ever join a cult, rather join a school fellowship. I wish you the best in your endeavours.
    Mr Adams is a god-sent. May he continue to prosper in life, amen.

28. D Fairy GodSister

August 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Thank God for the Adams college, thank God he didn’t get admission the period when his dream was to get in and kill as many people as possible.

Thank God.

29. traveller

August 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm

How inspiring! Wishing him much success in his future endeavors!

30. God Pikin

August 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm

awwwwww, wat a touching story!dis goes 2 show dat God can choose 2 delay in giving us wat we want 4 diff reasons, tnk God u dint get an admission immediately, if not maybe u’ll ave bn either a dead man now, or a general in hell fire.Tnk God 4 destiny helpers like Mr Adams..

31. efe

August 22, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thank GOD for His unfailing love and ordering his steps to the right place

32. princess.almroof

August 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm

big thank go to mr Adams, am one of ur student too and i thank God 4 my life too. am not a banker.

33. princess.almroof

August 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

am now a banker.

34. Lilian

August 22, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Mr Adams your kind gesture will never go unrewarded.

35. alanc230

August 23, 2012 at 1:19 am

A remarkable story. His experiences may give him an understanding of his legal clients’ needs and problems.

36. Odior

August 23, 2012 at 9:52 am

Fascinating……..God surely had a purpose for his life……

37. ESSY

August 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

poverty is a dieses , if his parents was ok, he wuld ve resaon in way dat he does nt ve to depend on cult guys to survive in campus, becos for every penny or allowance given to him by d cult guys he must kill or do evil work to earn d money. tank god he was saved by faceing another direction dat il really pay him well. he still nid to go for deliverance in church for god to change his totally, before he becom a seria killer.

38. @NwakanmaLife

August 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Fascinating..”Life story of this young man..keep it up. Never let that ur dreams fade”.

39. anna

August 24, 2012 at 11:33 am

inspiring, God bless the Proprietor of Adams College and continue to guide and direct ur paths Uche.

40. Lue

August 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

41. brandigest

August 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

This story just stirred me emotionally. It is quite inspiring. Guess this will be a source of hope and inspiration to young people like him on the streets. I wish him well. http://www.brandigest.wordpress.com

42. Gracy

August 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

If this story does not inspire anyone & show that there’s GOD in heaven that works differently from us humans, then I don’t know what will. AMAZING!!!

43. ggg

August 24, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Nice story, but one question why would any one think that joining the cult is a way to survive in the Nigerian University, this is so pathetic

44. Kill Stage Fright

August 25, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’d say Thank GOD for not granting him university admission in his “hot headed” years when he looked forward to killing people.

[www.LiveSpeech.org]

45. TrueTalkCritique

August 25, 2012 at 11:14 am

Truly inspiring, neva give up on ur dreams. I completely agree that a forum to educate the youth out there should be done.

46. Neneh

August 25, 2012 at 9:18 pm

great inspirational story,,,,great story of hardwork n determination. More power to your elbow bros. Will love to have new friends but if u re one of the killers of cynthia ,,,don’t u bother to follow me on [email protected]

47. Oyin

August 26, 2012 at 12:51 am

We have a lot of problems in this country. If only people will practice family planning, so that adequate attention and care can be given to children. In the first place, his parents had no business having 8 children!Then again, something needs to be done to change secondary students’ orientation about cultism. You will be shocked if you talk to those around you; the things they say,do and believe. Our educational system needs serious overhauling otherwise the next generation will go berserk right in front of our eyes. God help us!

48. Azdam

August 26, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Mr Muftau Adebola Adams…a very rare gem,may God continue to b wit u,nd as for Uche al d best..Adams college we set d pace odas follow

49. Cee

August 27, 2012 at 3:17 pm

All thanks to God for the everyday miracle of nugding men towards choosing good over evil. Congrats Uche. In your pursuits, keep being a positive influence of change. Salut’

50. Mr. Happylife

August 28, 2012 at 6:44 am

Truly inspiring story, from grass to grace, worthy of emulation

51. Mr. Happylife

August 28, 2012 at 6:46 am

Truly an inspiring story, worthy of emulation, thanks to Mr Adams

52. Lilly

August 29, 2012 at 10:23 am

Very inspiring. I have a feeling that God delayed his admission for a purpose. For instance, he had in mind to become a cultist in the school and commit other evil, which he would have probably done if he had gained admission then. God made him go through life experiences to enable him make a better choice because the Lord makes all things beautiful at His own time.

53. Cutey55

August 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm

An inspiring story….How Great is our God.

54. Ogechi ogbonna

August 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm

very inspiring story, my prayer for him is that he gets to receive salvation, His path would have been that of destruction if he had become a cult member, but God in his infinity mercies and love had planned something bigger for him, what more when he receives Jesus Christ has his personal lord and saviour what a fullfilling and glorious live he would live.

55. Timothy Osen

September 9, 2012 at 5:50 pm

What an ambitious boy who deserve and which for greatness in his lyf. Once again congrat am xo xo xo happy for you continue in ur great determination and sky will be ur limit!!