News

Has the Price of Bread Risen in Your Neighbourhood? Government Policies to Encourage Cassava Bread causes Bread Price Hike

I remember a time in Lagos few years ago when bread became so scarce and expensive, it was difficult for the common man to afford it.

A recent hike in the price of bread has therefore gotten most people apprehensive as the price has again gone up in most parts of Lagos, Nigeria.

I bought my favourite Butterfield sliced bread early last week at the regular price of N200. When I wanted to purchase it last Friday, I was told it had risen to N220 and I grudgingly bought it. But as at yesterday, it was N250 at the same place I have been buying bread for several months now.

When discussing it with my colleagues at work, I realized that it wasn’t just peculiar to my area but that bread prices are rising in most parts of Lagos.

I did some research on the cause of the hike and came across a Vanguard Report which noted that the Association of Master Bakers and Caterers of Nigeria has announced a 20 percent increase in bread prices, following the introduction of the additional 15 percent on imported wheat.

The National Association of Nigerian Traders, NANTS, Voices for Food Security, VFS, and Association of Small Scale Agro Producers in Nigeria, ASSAPIN however jointly denounced the recent increase in the price of bread, saying it was not in the interest of bakers and the economy.

In a joint statement by Adenekan Adeshile, Commercial Officer, NANTS on behalf of NANTS and Voices for Food Security, he made a case for Cassava Bread saying that Nigerian bakeries should adapt and make changes on their current production practices to fall in line with government’s requirements for blending of cassava flour in bread.

News reports say the government is trying to encourage the use of cassava in making bread and has therefore introduced an additional 15 percent on imported wheat.

What do you think about the increase on the price of imported wheat in a bid to encourage the use of cassava flour in making bread? Has the price of bread risen in your neighbourhood? How much do you buy bread now?

Photo Credit: Vanguard

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Fulani hair

August 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Then we buy cassava bread. If we want to grow the sector and create job opportunities, we better start eating.

Why are we even encouraging importation of wheat?

The MadeinNaija movement should not be limited to fashion only. 😀

• AC

August 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Why can’t we grow wheat since we no longer want to import it? Must we be forced to eat cassava bread? Anyways, na una sabi. Luckily I am not in Nigeria so good luck with your cassave bread eating policy.

• AC

August 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm

*cassava*

• Fulani hair

August 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

Its just 20% cassava cotent in the bread. So its still 80% wheat bread.

Nigeria harvests the most Cassava in the world. That’s our competitive advantage (versus us growing wheat even though we should).

Clap for yourself for not being in Nigeria.

• BellaYankee

August 8, 2012 at 2:26 am

The reason people eat wheat is because it is fibre and not starch like cassava. Bush man Jonah can like to show us a healthier alternative? The fibrous back of root plants perhaps?

2. gurly

August 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I remember some cassava bread i had to eat sometime ago in villa. It was damn stinky n heavy. I hope with better technology now it will at least smell better (cos i cant imagine the ooze from the bread when it ferments). I guess this is being allowed bcos prez ate cassava bread growing up. Next thing u know we’ll all be shoeless since he didnt have shoes at some point..Lol. j/k

3. Jennifer

August 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Why are you importing wheat in the first place, my man? Nigeria – a nation filled with brilliant, innovative people who are run by a pack of fools. For the most part.

4. Nigerian

August 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm

We need serious prayers in this country.
    Mr President what are your priorities? The country is facing serious security problems and all you can think of is cassava bread? Shame!

• Fulani hair

August 7, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Mr President’s job is not to focus on one single issue. His priorities are VERY many.

The security situation has been worsened by unemployment rate (if BH members were on the farm planting cassava they won’t have time or energy to be planting bombs).

5. babe

August 7, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Gej’s brain is not functioning well.

6. tbn

August 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Casava bread? common! why force people to eat what they dont wanna eat for crying out loud. Well i guess people will continue to pay for the higher priced wheat bread and jettison their smelly bread. kit

7. molarah

August 8, 2012 at 12:35 am

Abeg don’t insult the president na? The cassava bread move is one that has lots of benefits for our economy in the long run and should be supported. No one has even answered the question posed – I can’t myself, have not bought bread in a while.

8. Me2me

August 8, 2012 at 12:50 am

yes mine has

9. Me2me

August 8, 2012 at 12:54 am

Well if the cassava floor ain’t nice ill either but the 250 one or stop eatn bread sef. Not like its the most healthy food.

10. Princess of Zion