News

Watch the Trailer Now! Genevieve Nnaji, Stephanie Okereke-Linus, Jimmy Jean-Louis, Isaiah Washington & Vivica .A. Fox star in Tony Abulu’s “Doctor Bello”

Ok, this definitely makes 2012’s Must-Watch-List!

The trailer for Tony Abulu‘s Hollywood-Meets-Nollywood flick  “Doctor Bello” is finally here. In April 2012, the top director gathered some of the biggest names in the movie world including Jimmy Jean-Louis, Genevieve Nnaji, Isaiah Washington, Stephanie Okereke-Linus, Vivica .A. Fox, Femi Brainard, Rachael Oniga, Bern Cohen, Victor Browne, Andrea Leigh, Ebbe Bassey, Linda Perhach and Christina Starbuck , to star in his latest movie centered around a Cancer specialist who after the loss of his 10 year old daughter to Cancer, tries everything possible to help find a cure of a 7 year old boy dying of cancer.

Doctor Bello Synopsis

Brilliant Cancer specialist Dr. Michael Durant is emotionally troubled, wrestling with the traumatic loss of his 10 year old daughter from Cancer. Immersing himself in his work in the hospital, away from his wife who blames him for their child’s death, he forms an unlikely bond with a sick, loving, but rambunctious seven year old boy Sam, the son of a rich Jewish couple who are major contributors to the Hospital’s Cancer Research Fund.

Unfortunately, Sam’s health deteriorates drastically, and soon, he slips into a coma, with only a few days to live. Dr. Durant becomes desperate, willing to risk anything to save the child’s life. A surreptitious Nigerian Nurse convinces him to seek the help of Dr. Bello, an uncertified Nigerian Doctor, known in the Brooklyn-African underground as a miracle worker. Dr. Bello, an introvert with a controversial past, secretly visits the child at night and administers a strange African potion, replete with incantations and by the next morning, miraculously, the child begins to recover, the Cancer speeding into remission.

The Hospital Medical Board immediately orders an investigation and soon the secret is revealed and Dr. Durant is suspended. Dr. Bello is arrested and charged with medical malpractice. Dr. Durant soon falls into depression after his wife leaves him. Meanwhile, Dr. Bello has fallen critically ill in jail and can only be saved by the ingestion of the same potion that can only be found in the mysterious “Garden of Life,” nestled on the peak of Nigeria’s sky mountains.

The world premiere of the movie will be held on Thursday 27th September 2012 at The Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, 2700 F St NW, Washington, DC 20566, USA. Will the cure for cancer really be found in the sky Mountains of Africa? Watch the Trailer and find out!

Credits: www.Doctor Bello.com

1. kem

September 3, 2012 at 11:01 am

hmmmm a must watch, ghen ghen…….

2. huh?

September 3, 2012 at 11:08 am

Go genny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. cathy

September 3, 2012 at 11:23 am

this movie is gonna be dope i know

4. izzie

September 3, 2012 at 11:43 am

Really? Am I missing something?. What is the message here? That Nigerians have juju high in idanre hills that cures cancer? Seriously??? It only further portrays us as ‘still’ wallowing in the highest levels of ignorance… am hoping there is more cos it will be sad if this is all about the long awaited Dr bello. Smh..

• Chi-ka

September 3, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Na wa ohhhhhh, calm down please! My sister/brother, it is pure fiction na, same way oyinbo people tell us in their movies that Spiderman can fly…fiction lol!

September 3, 2012 at 3:27 pm

hahaha, good response.

There might be some element of suspense (eg. how Figurine/ Araromire threw us off on that goddess ish)

• Tiki

September 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm

You are missing something, in fact, you are missing everything. Funnily enough, you can’t recognize ignorance when it pours out of your mouth.

• 'Nero

September 5, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I get where you’re coming from but you can choose to see the movie as ‘exploring’ more traditional avenues for cancer treatment. I don’t think we should continue to attach a negative connotation to our ‘African traditional practices’ (AKA Juju). Just my two cents.
      Disclaimer: I’m not a Jazz Practitioner. I’m actually an MD. The irony right… lol.

• Rainbow

September 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I completely agree with you. I don’t understand why Africans have to see their own culture as negative. Anyway as a Caribbean person, I can’t wait to see this. I just adore Genevieve….

• Tolu

September 17, 2012 at 8:53 am

Sorry but yis juju in idanre the highest level of ignorance?
      U africans sha…

• Halima

September 28, 2012 at 7:34 am

Izzie it’s not that complicated.

5. csrchic

September 3, 2012 at 11:59 am

I hope we get a chance to watch it in the UK.

6. SIERRA

September 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm

omooooo i cant wait o…noiceee

7. Miriam

September 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Cnt wayt to watch lt

8. Peaches

September 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Isnt it funny that Isaiah is always playing a doctor. LOL First Grey’s Anatomy and now in Doctor Bello. I think first and foremost we have to appreciate our culture and heritage, its not about juju or no juju, people believe in the supernatural, but i think its great for a film to use references like this in modern day films. It truly depicts good storytelling, nevertheless the contexts of the film. We have our own beliefs, so lets just appreciate filmmakers doing their thing. And in case you were wondering… I love Jesus…. So its just a film……….. same as Araromie and also the oldies such as kotoorun, and all those freaky dramas we used to watch when we were young….. LOL.

• onut

September 4, 2012 at 2:17 am

Grey’s anatomy and Doctor Bello become ‘always’? Aunty, go easy on the generalizations na

9. couture by makioba

September 3, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Well said, peaches

10. Zizi

September 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Ooooops! Genny and all these great actors…. The movie’s gonna be great i know, a must watch!

11. Confused

September 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Am I missing something here or are we still talking charms when Nollywood meets Hollywood? Lawd, have mercy.

12. Mz Socially Awkward...

September 3, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I have to agree with izzie’s comment above because the plot looks hella sketchy… However, I’m hoping it proves a good international platform for the Nigerian actors/actresses involved.

13. Peaches

September 3, 2012 at 1:40 pm

so izzie calm down hun. (LOL) just a film. Lets appreciate and embrace the film industry. And by the way… Good for all the nigerian cast in the film. Cant wait to see the film.

14. Yve

September 3, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I know Vivica Fox career is kinda comatose but seriously tryina figure out why Isaiah Washington was in this movie :s

• British Naija/Ghanaian

September 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm

“Same thing i thought of when i saw him feature in this movie!!…wondering how much he got paid to do this”….

• gf

September 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

The guy lost his career after the whole “faggot” incident on Grey’s Anatomy,he lost his house too… and since dude gotta feed his family, I guess he’ll take any movie script given to him even if na yollywood, im go take am

15. nickyminaj

September 3, 2012 at 2:03 pm

A must watch. Am only surprised its not premiering in nigeria first.

16. Chinazar

September 3, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Story get as e be, walahi.

17. nich

September 3, 2012 at 3:24 pm

this is what hollywood is like……………………genevieve has positioned herself as the number one in nollywood…………..gradually she is breaking through………….the good thing about this movie is that it would be shown in cinema’s around the world……………..ije, tango with me, dr bello………….i wish that they can just release this movies in the us market so soon so people like us can buy and have them at home…………………..congrats to genevieve though………….it is not a joke to be positioned as number one in nollywood………..i think that genevieve’s life seems to be about favor…………………..omotola looks to be the closest to genevieve though and she is also doing very well……………..

18. Lolan

September 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

This is crap warmed over heated and served. The only reason I would watch this is because Gene and Steph are in it. The trailer is so weak. I can’t even hear them

• david

September 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Lolan u r quite right, the trailer is dull In my opinion a trailer should make u anticipate for the movie but this was dull, in the trailer I could see vivica doing her best, I think genny should pull from from this kind of movies, she has played almost the same character in her last movies, wife, rich woman, nothing is special again jor, I will only watch this movie bcos of genny, vivica and of course stephanie.

19. Blackknight

September 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Look at how Nigerians are tripping over this Boring and dull Trailer! What is there anticipate?

20. NNENNE

September 3, 2012 at 6:45 pm

He who has no past will have no future. Lets celebrate our past.The rest of the world do.
    A must watch movie!!!

• JJ

September 3, 2012 at 11:48 pm

The quality of the movie suddenly looked better as they started showing scenes shot in Nigeria. I’m happy for Genevieve and Steph.. This is a good start. Hopefully they start working in big budget movies very soon.

21. Anonymous

September 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm

My people sha, so quick to throw out the baby with the bath water. So we complained about Nollywood’s over emphasis on “jazz”, does that mean that a well shot movie that touches on supernatural powers from Naija should never be made? If it were a mainstream Hollywood movie with references to Brazillian ‘Yemanja’ that would be ok right? I think it’s an original story, looks like it was well shot, it’s undoubtedly a good cast. I’d love to see it. Let’s give it a chance, Biko.

22. alexgute

September 3, 2012 at 7:23 pm

A good pedestal fr nigeria’s finest acts to ride  ,hop it leaves up 2 its billings,thumbs up 2 our naija’s own anywys.anoda plus

23. L.A Chick

September 3, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Niiiiiiceeee!!! I am so ready for this movie! Genny I love uuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

24. Concerned Citizen

September 3, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I’m sorry but this trailer does nothing for me, absolutely nothing……..

25. ktemi

September 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm

this is to add to my list of naija movies to watch :O)

26. onut

September 4, 2012 at 2:14 am

Is it just me, or was this a very boring trailer? I am so not looking forward to the movie

27. wiklo

September 4, 2012 at 5:45 am

Fail!!! Genny ain’t going nowhere in Hollywood…..it ain’t about hating, her diction is too strong for Hollywood…curse me out all u want in response to this entry…wonder when this trailer starts playing on TV here in the US….just like the silly DBanj trying to break into the US mainstream with Kanye’s backing, it ain’t gonna happen!!!!

• Shawwy

September 4, 2012 at 7:34 am

Ok….I have now confirmed that when a commenter mentions being cursed out beforehand….the likelihood of them deserving it is very high, cos your comment IS about hating. Genny and Dbanj are doing their thing….if they break into mainstream American media fine..if they don’t, fine still because that doesn’t make them any less successful, you don’t need to knock their hustle!! A lot of African artists have tried and have been a little successful at it in the past…..Sunny Ade featured in a couple of movies and won grammies but did he really go “Mainstream”?? or have a “soft” diction??Hating is hating no matter how hard you try to mask it as being “blunt”….

• Nene

September 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm

And who made you a hustle advocate? She’s entitled to her opinion same way you’re entitled to yours. And I do agree with her, Genny is going nowhere with her thick accent, except there is a role for an African voodoo priestess in Hollywood.

• sassycassie

September 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

you must really worship hollywood. who cares whether they make it into hollywood or not! *loud hiss*

28. Mermaid

September 4, 2012 at 7:04 am

It seems a lot of us here share the same sentiments. The trailer doesn’t do Alice for me mehn. so drab on so many levels. Can’t be bothered really.

29. Shawwy

September 4, 2012 at 7:22 am

okay…so now I see why my dad had his hospital by the Idanre Hills….lmao! am so sharing this “joke” with my Family!!….

30. wiklo

September 4, 2012 at 1:38 pm

@ shawwy, so it’s hate then and???… sing praises of Ene Oloja who’s featured already in a box office hollywood movie (ooh bet u did not know that nor remember who she was in years past)

31. ada

September 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm

[email protected] isaiah on the sand forming convulsion, must watch this movie abeg

32. kaybee

September 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm

The “message” here is that mythology exists in every culture and ethnicity. Enjoy the movie for what it’s worth and stop looking for a “deep and profound” meaning to pure entertainment…

33. Richman

September 5, 2012 at 3:19 am

what do they mean…dat the doctors in Nigeria are so ignorant not to know about the treasures in Idanre mountains or that we are still backward in stone age and embedded in juju worship and folklore.Why did the other oyinbos not come to Nig. with Isaiah Washington and why did Genny and Stephnie not feature in yanke….my people shine your eyes,their insult has never stop and will never…..UNTIL WE WAKE UP…..remember,the sage Wole admonished us…..U MUST SET FORTH AT DAWN….NIGER PLEASE WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Naveah

September 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

@ Izzie – There is nothing ignorant about the use of herbs to cure a person, absolutely nothing wrong with alternative medicine which is what the film is promoting. There is no thing in the film that suggest calling on any babalawo doing bad juju on someone, heck for once the “juju” in a film is to CURE not to gain wealth or power or for revenge as is the norm in Nollywood films! People have been using Eastern medicine for ages in the Western hemisphere, there are many people who are proponents of Eastern medicine from China and other Asian countries for ages; I don’t hear Chinese people claiming that it is ignorance. People are using accupunture, green tea, yoga, St. John Wort, Yohimbe, Echinacea, Horny Goat Weed, Willow Tree Bark etc as sources of cure for all sorts of ailments. It is only a Nigerian who would think it is the “highest level of ignorance” to explore alternative medicine since we’ve all been so brain washed by the White Man to think that what we practiced for centuries before they even knew the way out of the dark is bad. Look at Egypt and all that the white man has only now perfected that began THERE such as tooth paste, embalming etc, left to people like you, it would be considered ignorance until a white man makes it acceptable, abi?

My great grand mother did not practice “juju”, she didn’t use incantations or call on ancestral spirits after spitting ogogoro in the air and throwing cowrie shells on the floor but she knew what leaves to use to make a boil disappear or to make tea to easy a woman’s labor. She didn’t go to medical school but she was a natural healer…my grandmother straighten my cousin’s bow legs with shea butter, she would tell me to use white chalk to cure my heat rash…what is juju about that? What is ignorant about that?

It is okay to be “enlightened” but to put down things because it is out of the realm of your understanding without knowing what it is about is of itself ignorance!

• sassycassie

September 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm

loving this response

• gift

July 14, 2016 at 9:16 am

Can I get ur contact or call me at 08102769921

35. wiklo

September 6, 2012 at 3:52 am

the more reason our seasoned producers should be making documentaries enlightening the white man about the prowess of our herbs and the beauty of our great culture rather than making lame/mockery-like movies that some feel is the greatest thing since slice bread because it has Isiah Washington and 50 cent’s former side kick featuring…..

36. funmi

September 6, 2012 at 11:24 am

We are just impossible: Jezz

37. biola

September 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm

@Naveh, true talk

38. matchmaker

September 11, 2012 at 6:32 pm

IF DBANJ IS STILL SEARCHIN, VIVICA A FOX IS AVAILABLE. THEY WILL MAKE A GREAT COUPLE

39. spanishtwang

September 12, 2012 at 10:33 am

m sorry….buh is he going on a quest to discover his destiny or a magic potion??? LOL!