News

Sad! Female Student of University of Ibadan Drinks Bleach after Boyfriend Jilted Her

It is being reported that a 100 Level female student of University of Ibadan drank a poisonous substance called Hypo Bleach after her boyfriend jilted her. The student was reported to have drank the bleach after her boyfriend, a student of the same University, ended the relationship between them.

Here is how Tribune is reporting it:

Dumped by her boyfriend, a student of the University of Ibadan (UI),  drank bleach in anger.

The 100- Level student in the Faculty of Arts was said to have taken the solution, a product called Hypo, on Sunday when her lover, a student of the same university, told her it was over between them.

Students of the university are currently writing their second semester examination which began about two weeks ago and will be concluded by the end of this month.

Nigerian Tribune gathered from campus source that the lady was rushed to the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, to save her from dying.

It was learnt further that the news of a serious damage to her kidney had spread on the campus.

A singing sensation on campus was said to have quickly waxed a hip hop lyric entitled “Hypo Love” to teach other students, especially ladies, the morals of the incident.

A source within the university said the lady is now fit and back in school after the poison was flushed out of her system at the institution’s Jaja Clinic.

However, he could not confirm why the lady decided to take the bleach as investigation into the matter was still ongoing as of press time.

We are thankful that she didn’t die as a result of her action and we hope this serves as a lesson to other young ladies not to make decisions which might have deadly consequences in such situations.

Photo Credit: www.madamenoire.com

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Faderol

November 9, 2012 at 10:44 am

Thank God she made it through, please i don’t think there is any man out there worth drinking bleach for.I think as a Jambite she should concentrate more on passing General studies first than relationship palaver#just saying#

2. lilian

November 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

she just so stupid to have thought of doing that. what on earth is a year 1 student looking that she can not focus on her studies.

3. Onyinye

November 9, 2012 at 11:26 am

She get tym ooo.., Drink bleach for a man….For what? For a MAN? I am better than dat…….Period…Mtchew!!! If she had died, wat wud she ve told God? just wasted ur destiny for one riffraff…..Mtchew again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lol

4. person pikin

November 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Lmao! She’s still a freshie in this “man business”….. No man is worth that shiiiii. with time she go get sense.

5. bukkie

November 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm

she is stupid

6. Gimmer

November 9, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I give her till graduation…by thn she should have figured men are sooooo not worth it. They come and go….and have clue what they want

7. Zee

November 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Rubbish! If I knew her, I would have used koboko to give her some lashes. People are looking for how to make the world better, she’s trying to kill herself over a boyfriend! Boyfriend!

8. Nems

November 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Very SAD story, it is easy for people to say she is STUPID, she should focus on her studies or whatever. People handle pain and break-ups in different ways and though her reaction to the break up was extreme it is not shocking, people have jumped off bridges for losing their JOB! People tend to play down the pain of breakups especially in young people, but it hurts the same no matter what age you are.
    I hope her friends and family help and support her instead of critising and abusing her.

9. jumjum

November 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm

this girl is soooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid. Hw on earth will you kill yourself bcos of a man(SMH). She needs to go for deliverance ooo,cos from what she has heard and read from different people’s experiences, she still hasnt grown. SO SAD. Mtchewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

10. ola

November 9, 2012 at 12:47 pm

hmmm wat a love story.. get latest gist and news here at http://www.gistyinka.com

11. Gbemi

November 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I emphasize with her. What she went through is not trivial at all and honestly all of us go through heart-breaks. I pray she realizes God loves her UNCONDITIONALLY!!!!

• Tomi

March 1, 2015 at 7:03 pm

That’s just the truth she needs to know. God must be first because if you wrap your entire life around another human being that person becomes your everything so if he hurts you, life because hopeless, graduates to misery and feelings of suicide. If only you know how God cares for you and wants your destiny fulfilled. I have been through a heartache Initially, the fact that you wasted time annoys you. Secondly, the fear that you may not find a better person taunts you and that’s tough. In my own case, I cried, shouted and even insulted only to find myself asking God to forgive me 2years later. I prayed to God and He gave me a better person not just in my eyes but in the eyes of those that know me. The difference is so highly clear spiritually physically, socially, financially, God perfected it so much that my husband is over 6 and my ex in the 5’s( try to understand where I am coming from height is not the be all and end all) so I told myself, God if only you had shown me this future, I would have just kept quiet, please forgive me for shouting like a local woman and saying unnecessary terrible things just to hurt my ex in fact I cursed him. As per this girl, I can understand but you went to far, just in your first year kilode. I was in my late twenties. Please my dear girl, be careful o and don’t do any blood covenant or have sex with a man you are not married to because such things cause the pain of a break up to go deeper. God loves you. Get to know him.

12. @ajiriavae

November 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I remember the pain of loosing love at that age. It feels like the end of the world, doesn’t it? We all know that 5 years from now, she will almost die from embarrasment whenever she remembers how she almost killed herself because of some looser. I bet you that she will be left wondering what she ever saw in him. But for now, she needs understanding. Because the truth is that we do understand.

13. BrownSugah

November 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm

hey! hey! hey! I guess she is still a teenagerand probably her first love which is always the strongest. Thank God she didn’t die. Now she has faces one challenge, she will grow up knowing people will come into your life and they will go. Those worth it, will stay. No one more person is more important than you so you have to love yourself first! I hope someone tells her that instead of scolding her.

• destinychy

December 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm

my dear she is stupid to have done that silly act, i cant do that. what she came to school to do is to read and not to make boy friends cos they cant be trusted at all. this is a lesson to we women we should not allow man to destroy us at all, there is nothing good the have to offer us . so lets concentrate on our studies and look forward to what the future has for us. anyway thank God she didn’t die but such any act should not be repeated

• owabumoye pelumi

August 6, 2015 at 7:52 am

she needs orientation

14. ima

November 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm

@nems…i concur.that was ow that guy that climbed a transformer wanting to commit suicide,later committed the suicide after a failed attempt initially.shebi pple begged him to come down which he did but was beaten and scolded.bottom line is try to help and support these pple or better still refer them to see a therapist.

15. Sommie™

November 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Sad? Really? More like ‘funny’. I̶’̶l̶l̶ ̶c̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶n̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ I’ll drink hypo bleach for you. *In bruno mars’ voice*

16. LOLO

November 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm

She should cocentrate on her studies. why kill yourself over a chewing gum boyfriend. He is not worth it .

17. honeymix

November 9, 2012 at 3:33 pm

@Nems,I’m so in love with you.Damn,pls tell all this pple o.She needs pple with a positive attitude at this time of her life,and she should be advised that when she has made it,well to do guys would approach her for marriage.D guy should probably be her first love and maybe deflowered her so that’s why she is so much into him.Buh she should also learn that when Life deals u this kinda blow,you just have to pick up yourself,move on and aim higher.Wish her all the best.Moreso,she has better things to do,like gettn good grades,building a very good GP and yourself generally,graduating,getting additional degrees,a well to do job and finally settling with the man of your dreams who would love and adore you so much 4 all you are.*winking.

18. Joan

November 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Heartbreaks can be hard, especially at that age. But they haff not born the man that I will drink bleach because of o.

19. thowlu

November 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm

D geh be mumu joh. Smh…

20. gid

November 10, 2012 at 7:36 am

yeye dey smelll!!!!

21. demola

November 11, 2012 at 12:56 am

http://t.co/7QU2WQ3i heres d link to the song HYPO LOVE and the singing sensation is called SURELY here in the university of ibadan

• Kenny

January 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm

For all those of u that tinz shes crazy & stupid,wait until some who u love most and cant do with out does same to u den u wil knw hw it fils 2 b in love.u may tink shes crazy bt 1 question u neva asked ur self is “why could she do that”.u may hv neva falen in luv dats y u tink shes stupid.like i said wait until u find ur self in ha shoes den u wil undastnd wat it fils lyk.i realy sympathise wit ha,i wish i culd gt 2 c ha 2 giv ha al d courage she need.realy a sad story.

22. Kenny

January 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm

23. lucky ohiorenuan

January 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm

she must be a boko haram sect. for her to think of commenting a sucide, please she is a threat to her fellow student.i think she should be rosticated. JAMBITE…….

24. showley

January 19, 2013 at 3:10 pm

its sumhw 4nni, bt i cnt blame her 4 wat she did. she want 2 play her part of juliet since her did nt play his part romio, juliet want 2 die 4 luv,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, fank God she’s alive . halleluyah
    ………………………………………………………..

25. Norense

January 23, 2013 at 10:39 pm

she needs God’s word 2 hep her build a mindset dat can withstand any situatn.no physical event in life is wort diein 4,cos dat is d reason y jesus came

26. dami Awo Hall

February 5, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Well the girl is now a repentant sinner. She realized her mistake earnestly

27. RUKAYAT OSENI

February 25, 2013 at 8:22 am

may b she is despair but all did same that is not d solution…my kindly advice is too focus on ur studies and i pray u make it in lyf!

28. Dammy

March 28, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Seriously w ar in endtime. Ao on earth wil a man jilt m and i wl kill mysf.iv neva seen ao dt luv wl b.she must b a young girl wu has a experience breakage or disappointmnt in lyf.infact she needs a counsellor 2 counsel ha

29. TRACY

April 24, 2013 at 11:16 am

Tooh bad she need to know dat no man is worth dying for.please grow up little girl.

30. cyprain

April 25, 2013 at 11:39 am

she,s so stupid to av tot of sumtin lyk dat, u drink poison for sumbody dat can not contribut anytin in ur lyf, i dnt no y u evn surviv it u wud av die, fuck u y dnt u drink acid an let c if u wil surviv,

31. Niffy Fash

May 9, 2013 at 11:36 am

no one can blame her. People react differently to pain. Most likely it’s her first experience of pain. I tell her to get ready for more as humans are dynamic. She has to learn not to hold on too tight to people, I mean that she should give room for disappointment. But, haba, what happened to her priority list? Boys before books or the other way round? We all should learn from her

32. Opeyemi 'young ambassador'

August 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I think she is stupid, if nt she wouldn’t av try it…

33. Iberiwe

August 20, 2013 at 9:38 am

Those who tnk they ar in love, shd bware cos wtout God, love doesnt exist anywhere. An xcellent rship is one dat hav it rooted in God… It’s nt al abt age, it’s all abt God in us… Bt d God in us doesnt support youthful desires and pleasures outside him… He only comes in wen we seek a wife in him… Pls lets jst beware sooo we do not die for nothin… Inexpressible expressions fills d alchemy of my thoughts as it sounds shockin2me and jst pray dat God nourishes us wf freshness in ds decayn cosmos of drynes…

34. JUMMEX

January 16, 2014 at 11:55 am

well we don’t have to blame her every suffers heart break after all she has to thank God for saving her live, but first she is a year 1 student she don’t have to think of [email protected] for now.
    men don’t worth [email protected] stage u are goin up to

35. kate

January 17, 2014 at 5:42 pm

hmmm wat a life am so short of words bt i tank god am alive d story is so similar to mine it hapened on my birtday tank god there was no poison around bt i drank myself out dat i met myself in d hospital after two days dat i hd bein admited. my dear love is so strong bt somtimes we need to b strong

36. Chika

February 7, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Uhmmmmm d gal made a big mistake by drinking bleach,if she had died nothing wouild av changed abt wah d guy has said,even if she loves someone she’s nt meant to go to dt extend n besides she’s meant to concentrate on her studies (100 level),ds is nt even d ryt tym for goin into a relationship,u r lucky u r even alive.

37. DAMMY HAWEY

September 2, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I Fyk De Girl Is Not A Gud Christian Cos She Would’t Hv React In Dat Way But In Evry Tng Glory Be 2 God, She Must Now Rememba Wat D Bible Says Dat ‘if Any Man Be In Christ Old Tnx Hv Passed Away Behld All Becme New’. Give Ur Life 2 Christ Completely Now!!!!

38. EMMANCO CREATION

October 10, 2014 at 2:28 pm

ALL THE WORD A STAGE AND LOVE AN OCCAIN OF EMOTION. yes we all will make a comment about this girl.but have you in any way asked youerself this question AM I BETTER THAN SHE IS? I beleive that there are most of people here of which she ismuch more better than. to you young girl do not in any way try or make a move of taking your life becouse you are God hand made.

39. @pelumi

August 6, 2015 at 8:08 am

she needs orientation

40. rejoice

June 8, 2016 at 4:14 pm

ur nyash there, soo becus of just a bf 4 dat mata, beb dats too childish he dont deserve you, .

41. rejoice

June 8, 2016 at 4:16 pm

na love potion him give you babe? your family must be disappointed in you fool………. if dat hypo way u dey take finish cum collect more

42. MHIZ HOG

November 15, 2018 at 10:49 am

my dear ,mycandid advis 2 u ,u nid 2 tak fins izy,coz ova d yrs i av cum 2 raliz dat dey z no luv gr8ta dan d luv of JC