News

“Chimamanda, I Thought You Were Running Away From Me!” Prize-Winning Novelist, Chimamanda Adichie Speaks on CNN’s African Voices

BellaNaija.com

Orange Prize winning novelist, Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie was on CNN‘s African Voices to talk about her new book Americanah.  African Voices is a show which highlights the diversity of Africans and their culture.

Chimamanda is one of Nigeria’s most prolific writers and she has made a name for herself in the literary world. In this chat with Zain Verjee Chimanada talks about what inspires her to write, her mother’s influence, the thoughts on the foray into politics as well as her meeting with legendary Chinua Achebe.

Chimamanda is real, bold and quite candid and we LOVE her.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

1. Tongryang Pantu

May 22, 2013 at 8:39 am

Brilliant, bold and beautiful… Love this woman and her brain. You go girl!

2. Godslove22

May 22, 2013 at 8:55 am

This women is an inspiration to a lot of women…..I was moved by her interview on CNN and I’m proud of her work that she has done. Chimamanda is a intelligent women breaking grounds and stereotypes in Naija/Africa……God Bless her 🙂

3. nike

May 22, 2013 at 9:02 am

It’s great and refreshing to have someone like this being a face for Nigeria. I like that she is very frank without being snobbish. It’s also good that she is encouraging people to learn more, read more, find out more about other people and other places so that people dont thing their individual world is ‘the world’

4. Chuchusweets

May 22, 2013 at 9:23 am

i have to say i am in awe of this woman, ive read all her books so far and presently reading “Americanah”. She is a fantastic stroyteller, she makes feel like i should be in the books, i should know the characters, she makes me love the IBO culture, the language. SHE is an inspiration. One day i hope i meet her, i wonder how id feel!!!? Thank you Ma’am..your books bring joy. laughter, sadness, pain, hope and light to me.

• salsera

May 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

My thoughts exactly , reading her books i honestly thot I was IBO hehe – in my thots i was right there. She’s very inspirational and speaks so well.

5. COOL

May 22, 2013 at 9:28 am

I just love her!!! Am soooo inspired. She is a role model.

6. Ready

May 22, 2013 at 9:55 am

Lord knows I love this woman as much as you can love a stranger who you know through books. I made sure I got to see her at one of her book tours in Lagos, and even though she was late (which she apologized for), it was so worth it. I love that it’s a natural haired woman who looks good and is smart who is one of the most visible faces for our country right now versus the vapid materialistic people who litter this country. Americanah was a great read, and I plan to support her every venture.

7. Peaches

May 22, 2013 at 10:04 am

After hearing this, I should start reading more, research more and in all be more knowledgeable about my country Nigeria. Thank you Chimamanda, May God bless your heart. You are loved…I am soooo inspired,i really do not care what my network provider has billed me for streaming this video…

8. Spotter

May 22, 2013 at 10:32 am

Chimamanda u rock Kai. . . The way she speaks and all that. Role model no be small! Well done girl

9. EMI

May 22, 2013 at 10:45 am

awesomeness right here

10. mike

May 22, 2013 at 11:36 am

You can tell the interviewer had fun doing this interview. She looks like an interesting person to have around.

11. Someone

May 22, 2013 at 11:36 am

Great woman, hope many women and young girls see her as a role model than these nollywood celebrities.

12. Mel

May 22, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I just love me some Chimamanda…u dont need to slur/ have a UK/Americana accent to be able to speak well…she is so good to listen to…and very intelligent to. All her answers make sense and well meaning…i just love her….i see myself picking every trait from her….

13. kenny

May 22, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I’m still in love, I’ve fallen for her since the first day I came across her.

14. Cee

May 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm

In a refreshingly candour manner, Chimamanda answered all posed questions with the right choice of words! This is an informed mind. Salut’ to a worthy Nigerian Writer!

15. Teddy Bear

May 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm

She has such pretty eyes!

• P.

May 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I know right! I love this woman, I must read her books soon!

• Tosin

May 25, 2013 at 6:54 am

you better. you may want to start with the collection of short stories.

16. obsd

May 22, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I Love you Chimamanda

17. abimboladare

May 22, 2013 at 8:34 pm

A woman who inspires me. Inspired.

18. Ngum

May 22, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Excellent interview! I love the warmth between her and the journalist.

19. NNENNE

May 23, 2013 at 3:50 am

My fellow bloggers have said it all. I have read all her books. Americanah will be my next commuter book.” I always read to and fro work.

20. Bunmi

May 24, 2013 at 2:25 am

I admire this babe.
    The wedding and red carpet commenters have disappeared from this post.

21. Just saying...

May 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm

BN darlyn,
    please can we have more of this ie african voices that features nigerians esp women,
    so that youngsters like me who dont have time for CNN can get inspired.
    Thank you!

22. Joshua

May 24, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Hmm…respect for one more woman that nails so many good thing a woman should have…duff my hat Chima

23. Tosin

May 25, 2013 at 6:53 am

I put off watching this interview, worried that it might awaken the haterr within. But I’ve got to say, from what I’ve seen so far: c’mon, this babe is full of grace. Rock on.