Music

When a Woman’s in Love! American Music Star Keri Hilson Cooks Fufu for her boyfriend – NBA Star Serge Ibaka

Onos

Keri Hilson

American Music star Keri Hilson‘s NBA star boyfriend, Serge Ibaka is of Congolese-Spanish descent {click here}. And, we all know that when you date an African man, he has certain expectations of you in the kitchen.

Keri Hilson

The “Pretty Girl Rock” songstress definitely didn’t shy away from those expectations when she ‘put her back into it’ to make her man some fufu. So, this makes me wonder how far in culinary expertise other women would go for their own man.

Would you go out of your way to learn how to cook your boyfriend’s native food? Or, if any of his favourite delicacies are native to Russia or Japan, would you go that extra mile to cook it for him?

Photo Credit: Instagram

"What do you really do for a living any way?", "Your face looks familiar. Was it on TV?" These questions follow me around everyday. Why don't you join them. Instagram | Twitter: @Onos_

1. [email protected]

May 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm

God bless u Keri for trying..may Sage love you and appreciate you amen…Bcos some women from Africa don’t even try these days! Enjoy it girl and burn some calories in d process hahaha.

2. TINNU

May 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm

LOVE IN TOKYO

3. observer

May 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm

i wonder who and who ate all that ”fufu” ooo lol that’s a whole heap, man!

4. Just-saying

May 5, 2013 at 8:13 pm

To all you “I will never cook for my boyfriend” girls, take note. She’s successful, beautiful, American, and she still enters the kitchen. #NotTheEndOfTheWorld

• Dlapikin

May 5, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Preach!!! So many african girls walking around these days can’t even bil rice in the name of modernity…

• Mo'blezzing

May 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

modernity!!!!!
      pishaun pishaun…..yeeee! you haff shoot me…..haa, I haff die!

• Sophia

May 6, 2013 at 2:38 am

There’s a reason why people don’t cook for their boyfriend. Keri is beautiful, american, successful (if that’s what you want to call it) but she’s still just a ‘girlfriend’.

• bidibang

May 6, 2013 at 4:51 am

as in AMEN!!! cause she aint no holla back girl!!! she not stupid…men are hard to come by these days….marriage material men o!!! men are everywhere but a man to marry? you gots to hold on real tight. she has done her check and balancing and she smart!!!

• Bliss

May 7, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Bidibang, there’s a loophole in that mentality of holding on real tight. Good men are yet to come by, yet people you know are marrying men who are certainly not Ogres at chapels every saturday.
      It’s okay that she cooked for her man, if that is her style. However, when you go above, beyond and around the world(working over time) to get that ring. You had better keep up the charade all through the marriage, else problem dey. Start like you want to finish. I think the most important thing a woman can do is to live a life that in line with her beliefs. When she does so, she will be confident enough to know that she is a one in a million type of woman and anyone who gets her would be the luckiest man on earth. When you make a man better than you, he knows. When you fuss over him, you deny him the chance of showing you how precious you are to him. I’m not saying don’t reciprocate his gestures, but always move at his own pace. . . After all like my pops says ” you can’t tell a man you are my husband.” I believe wisdom comes in knowing when to push and pull. . . Lastly the golden rule: going super slow is ALWAYS better than rushing things. Be out putting your fabulous life together, your soulmate *cough* Jango….When Jango realizes he cannot live without you, he will come crawling, then you’ll choose between him and superman 😉 haha

• Tolani

May 6, 2013 at 6:42 am

en-en-en-enh.. don’t bring that -ish here! that lifestyle never too mature for this side.
      if u want it, put a ring on it!

• Teris

May 6, 2013 at 7:19 am

en-en-en-enh! don’t bring that -ish here

• Teris

May 6, 2013 at 7:20 am

en-en-en-enh! don’t bring that -ish here!
      that lifestyle never too mature for this side. if u want it, put a ring onnit!

• anonymous

May 6, 2013 at 8:11 am

i will cook for my husband but boyfriend….. my answer is hell no. if you want me to cook for you it means it’s time to marry me. period

• D

May 6, 2013 at 5:43 pm

How many women cook and bend their backs for their men while these men mistreat them ? The man has to be deserving of it. My man cooked for me first (he wasn’t cooking and couldn’t do it until we started dating) and I did the same. It wasn’t intentional but I have to be passionate about someone to cook for them.. I understand its importance and because of that I’m not reckless with it.

5. GreenDiamond

May 5, 2013 at 8:19 pm

is dia a question sigh

6. I hate people that say "thank me later"

May 5, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I’m waiting for folks to turn this into a women’s liberation debate…hahaha!
    Because this singular act will encourage all the maids sorry girlfriends that slave away washing, cleaning and cooking every weekend, say if keri dey do am, why can’t they do it…as for me and my household o until my BF starts playing in the NBA, premiership or even Eyimba…na hin mama or mamaput go supply hin fufu.
    However, Keri Hilson go-on-sohun jere!!!…a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do to keep her man, superstar or no superstar.

7. slice

May 5, 2013 at 8:37 pm

good job girl. don’t make that much at once and it won’t seem so difficult

8. Teddy Bear

May 5, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Yes, if he were my husband! 🙂 Ps, I love them as a couple! He is gorgeous and she is beautiful!

9. Oaken

May 5, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Oshi o daa….2 yrs tops. Her career is over so anything to be in the news. Not exactly sure why this is Instagram worthy

10. Koloko

May 5, 2013 at 9:12 pm

This is so romantic,for a superstar like Keri Hilson to go all the way to cook “fufu” for her man…all you ladys that say never to the kitchen you better bockle up.

11. marian

May 5, 2013 at 9:18 pm

She is a real woman

12. Rio

May 5, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Why won’t Kerry make fufu. Sh has been -matized.
    Once you go Congolese, na awilo you would be dancing. Those dudes have the biggest penis in the whole world.

• Eziokwu :)

May 7, 2013 at 5:28 am

Who is dis #honeymustard Lol talking about P**** Hian!!! Biko call ya boo na pele hahahaha

13. Ngum

May 5, 2013 at 10:00 pm

After seeing the guy, I totally understand why she’s making the fufu. LOL!

14. whocares

May 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm

lool. is anyone else wondering what type of soup she made to go with it though? this is sweet.

15. nene

May 5, 2013 at 10:47 pm

it’s not by force to cook. i only cook when i’m eating, and i don’t send food to my boyfriend unless he asks for it (and he better have a valid reason). i try not to do the “wife” things before marriage because boyfriends take it for granted. so i only do what my heart tells me to do, not what my boyfriend wants me to do. so for me, it’s mutual sexual pleasure, love, care, support, and then i’m back at home with my parents caring and cooking for them, until my husband comes. too many girls cook and treat their boyfriends like husbands, even small girls of 16 doing love.

• baby

May 6, 2013 at 10:18 am

u took the words outta my mouth, why stress urself over a bf who myt end up nt being ur hubby,the sex is enough for him,infact sometimes i wish i could collect money after we make luv ,

• Just me

May 6, 2013 at 11:07 am

And you both don’t think SEX is a WIFELY’ duty.. He shouldn’t put the ring on it to have sex with you but he should put the ring on it to eat your food..WOW…

• Omo1

May 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm

@Just Me…U took the words right outta my mouth,,like seriously??? what more wifely role can they be than sex?! if you can as much as play the sex game, then you sure should be playing the cooking game as well!

• jcsgrl

May 6, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Omo1 and justme chop knuckle jare! Why pay for the cow when you can get the milk for free? While people think sex before marriage liberates them, they don’t know it entangles them. May God help us to open our eyes!

• nene

May 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm

the key words u should take from my comment is “mutual” and “freewill” if i’m eating with him i cook. i have sex with him because i want to. i’m not having sex because i want him to marry me, but because i enjoy it, and sex is only one aspect of being a wife, but when u cook for a man, that is more wifely than anything.

• Solomon's daughter

May 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm

nene, you are quite pitiable…cooking is a wifey duty but sex isn’t??? u must b sleeping on bicycle!

16. tunji

May 5, 2013 at 11:15 pm

This fufu plenty die. she try o

17. cicimileko

May 5, 2013 at 11:34 pm

good job girl, hope he appreciates his good fortune.

18. 'Mide

May 5, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Age is a number, I guess. At 6′ 10″ , his physical endowment in the bedroom dwarfs all that matters outside of it , notwithstanding a 7 year age difference. Great catch for Keri. Fufu-ing should keep Serge locked down.

19. Godslove22

May 6, 2013 at 12:10 am

wowww I’m proud of Keri……YOU GO GURL..Lolll

20. chiquita

May 6, 2013 at 12:17 am

I am lost, where in this tweet did she mention anything about cooking for her boyfriend…and bella naija made a whole story out of it, odikwa serious, i guess this is a slow news day.

• Jiddah

May 6, 2013 at 9:01 am

Help me ask abeg.

Where did she mention that she was cooking for her boyfriend?

• VV

August 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Siddown jor, we all know that she will not eat that. shebi you know how much calorific content fufu has? let alone the heaviness it gives to the belly. I’m sure she wants to keep herself looking fine fine gal for her man.

• Purpleicious Babe

May 6, 2013 at 6:15 pm

yH… MAN @ Chiquite… my sentiments exactly. Someone prolly pounded it and she thought to model with it o ..but i might be wrong.

I would go the extra mile to learn to cook what isn’t my traditional food but perhaps his cos I dont mind trying new food as long as I am watching whilst he is cooking or we are both doing it.
      Aint nobody got time for wify roles….

Cooking is fun if we both do it together.PERE.

21. Hiss

May 6, 2013 at 12:50 am

Y r Nigerians making this a big deal, will Americans make dbanj news if he makes macaroni and cheese , come on people this is just sad sad sad

• VV

August 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm

lol too true. Nigerians will go crazy over anything, and the guy is not even Nigerian himself hahaha. See how Nigeria even paid Kim Kardashian oil worth money just for her to make an appearance. mchewww….shame for me since I too am Nigerian.

22. Sel

May 6, 2013 at 12:51 am

Errrrm she obviously didn’t cook it herself.if you look closely at the first pic she’s using one hand to stir and the other hand is not supporting the pan. There’s no way you can turn the fufu with only one hand like that. Nice try tho

• slice

May 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm

you realize she could have made it and then just posed for the picture

23. Anon

May 6, 2013 at 2:22 am

I hope Italians also make a full spread when we Nigerians make pasta…how this is news I’m still wondering

24. aya ilorin

May 6, 2013 at 3:49 am

I have never attempted to make my husbands native food. I am an Ibadan gal and Amala is all we gonna eat.

25. Bushgirl

May 6, 2013 at 4:52 am

I’m sorry did I miss something? Did she say she made for her boyfriend? lol.

26. funke

May 6, 2013 at 6:35 am

This is a WOW.I pray the relationship lasts

27. Fashionbabe

May 6, 2013 at 7:51 am

No Big Deal (NBD)!

28. Nonso

May 6, 2013 at 8:16 am

I don’t mind learning any kind of food to make my boyfriend or husband happy… I know how guys love girls who can cook, so am more than willing to go the extra mile. btw my boyfriend loves food soo much and I give him varieties

29. Temizzy

May 6, 2013 at 8:38 am

Nice

30. Hurperyermie

May 6, 2013 at 9:07 am

it is well jare

31. temitope

May 6, 2013 at 9:11 am

Something tells me she ddnt make dat fufu her self, so some people can like to chill….but then I don’t think we should be encouraging ladies to cook for their boyfriends, at least don’t let them get too used to it because after all the cooking, and some girls will actually wash n sweep, the guy might not even marry you, abi no be my naija guys…its only a real man dat will appreciate his girlfriend cooking and cleaning for him without taking her for granted

32. meme.

May 6, 2013 at 9:20 am

For me the key is being urself, if you like cooking then cook away, holding urself back from cooking cos you want to reserve the cooking skills for marriage is funny and ironic when you are having sex with him.
    I cooked for my ex and I cooked for my husband when we were dating because I like cooking not cos I wanted to look wifely.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 6, 2013 at 10:59 am

Preach.

• slice

May 6, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Bless you for saying that.just be your authentic self. I don’t cook all the time but I don’t mind cleaning. So yes, we can order food but I can clean his house all day if I want. As long as I’m not doing it and thinking that will get me a ring. Cause that’s why ladies get mad. you cooked and cooked hoping it will bring a ring and it didn’t

• A

May 6, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Looool…. homegirl said: ‘you cooked and cooked hoping it will bring a ring and it didn’t’ pahahahahaha! #jokes…..PREACH! 🙂 Men aren’t as complicated as they lead us females to believe, if a guy’s hell-bent on putting a ring on it, nothing will stop him and on the flip side if he ain’t that into you, if you like gaan turn yourself into fufu, for your pocket! lol

33. Vanessa

May 6, 2013 at 11:10 am

who do people always say ‘men are hard to find’? does it mean girls are easy to find? anyway, i will cook for my man because we want to eat, not because i want to show him that i am a wife material. Of course, i would cook his local dishes if that will please him,not because i want to project myself and my ‘mission’. I also have things done in my native way i would want him to do to please me. After all, compromise is a two-way thing.

34. Esther Amicable

May 6, 2013 at 11:11 am

D babe dey show say she don redi 2 setle down n she so min it,bt oo pesin fit jux chop dat fufu 4 real?

35. comment awaiting moderation!

May 6, 2013 at 11:35 am

Talking about “they having big penis *whisperinginsilence*

36. ginaunn

May 6, 2013 at 11:46 am

people have reasons for cooking for their bf or not…

unn.edu.ng/

37. Warri Pickin

May 6, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Nice overture from a humble babe lets hope Serge will reciprocate this by being a nice guy all through their relationship

38. whocares

May 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm

oooh now I have to jump on the women liberation debate 🙂 I think people should do whatever they want to do.. sex, cook, heck even move in together.. and as for cooking for le bf, its all about equality as far as im concerned.. I am not a very great cook, and for that reason i LOVE cooking for people (lol. its sometimes my twisted idea of a punishment) that said, if i cook for someone, then that person will have to do the dishes, and not only that he will reciprocate by cooking for me as well at some point… its the way I have always expected these things to work, and its the way it has always worked. once you let it be known what you expect, which is equality, then I see no reason why you shouldnt get it.. for the men screaming about women and cooking.. we all dont have to cook biko, we were not born to be slaving away in the kitchen.. if you can throw down in the kitchen as well as you can in the bedroom, then maybe you deserve a wife who can cook. if you cant, but will be relying solely on your woman for nutrition, then you deserve an “indomie” woman.. daz all.

39. Omo1

May 6, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Well I could cook for my bf..he does same for me!

40. SASSYCASSIE

May 6, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Maybe if Naija guys looked half as good and fit Serge “his royal sexiness”…
    Lol. *runs away*

41. POSHILLA!

May 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm

abeg where is the segre ibaka from?

• Naveah

May 6, 2013 at 5:32 pm

• Jennifer

September 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm

congo

42. Naveah

May 6, 2013 at 3:23 pm

@ Nene – my dear no make I laff die for here o! Cooking is more of a “wifely duty” than Sex? Are you serious? You can cook for family, friends etc do you have sex with everyone? And did God say “Go Forth And Cook” or “Go Forth and Multiply”? And that multiply means getting down with the get down. Having sex, opening yourself to receiving a man is the deepest spiritual exchange that you can have with a person physically in a relationship which is why it is sad that people do it so casually. Cook is communal thing but sex is not! I had boyfriends I cooked for and didn’t get a ring put on it and I cooked for my now husband when he was a boyfriend then subsequently a fiance and he put a ring on it. If man go marry you, whether you dey bend back for kitchen or dey dial Mr. Bigs for phone, he go marry you if that was his intent.

It isn’t every woman’s goal in life to cook for a man to get a ring. If she wants to cook for man then that’s on her as long as she is doing it because she wants to do it and not because she has expectations attached to it. This is why women get disappointed.

43. Toyin

May 6, 2013 at 7:07 pm

News or no news. I will cook fufu even if it means doing it the traditional way, if I was dating Serge Ibaka. You go, Keri.

44. nwanyi na aga aga

May 6, 2013 at 7:42 pm

And i googled serge ibaka ….. then i looked for the hotness…..immediately i walked away…

• Omo1

May 7, 2013 at 3:32 pm

My dear..no be only you walk away o..#lipsealed!

• Bliss

May 8, 2013 at 12:26 am

youtube.com/watch?v=zGpYUa_QPcY
      You don’t find this guy attractive?. . .The lips, his demeanour. . Well I guess to each his own…Damn girl, your standards are high oh. I guess ur boo boo pretty much has to beat the ladies off with a stick 2 armed body guards.

45. jenny

May 6, 2013 at 8:21 pm

hmm

46. seyibabs

May 6, 2013 at 9:56 pm

LOBATAN! *coughs* well well, as 4 me seyibabs i cannot make fufu 4 any man. fufu ko tuwo ni, after makin fufu wit my energy he will still cheat pshewwww. moo sowi gannn.

47. Soonky

May 6, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Its funny 2 see all dem Ladies forming here..
    80% of them dont really mean what dey re saying. Trust me, many of dem will do anything 2 keep there bf.

48. Stella Kashmoney

May 7, 2013 at 11:27 am

Wow Serge is so young, just 23 years. Keri Hilson is a cougar, lol. I pray they last.

49. Lisa

May 20, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Speaking of him being a well-endowed Congolese man….bossip.com/749296/for-the-ladies-keri-hilsons-boo-and-okc-baller-serge-ibaka-43081/#.UZpW8LU3te8

50. Vintage

August 17, 2013 at 7:53 pm

lool Go you Kerii!! I’m always here making cultural food for my man, but I guess its easy since we’re from the same background. But different tribes….so I still have some dishes to learn. Hope they both continue to grow in love. Nothing as beautiful as an African man with his chocolate lady.