News

“I Ended My Marriage Because It Wasn’t Working” | Nollywood Actress Chika Ike Dishes on Fame, her Career & Marriage on Rubbin’ Minds with Ebuka Obi-Uchendu

Chika Ike - June 2013 - BellaNaija

Chika Ike has become a household name over the years and most recently, was on the tip of our tongues because of her drastic haircut for a movie role. In this new episode of “Rubbin’ Minds” with Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, the Nollywood heartthrob talks about relationships, her career, her fears and what to expect from her soon.

Did You Know?

• Chika Ike starred in her first movie role as an extra in 2005.
  • She used to cry when she read rumors, stories and critique about her online.
  • She plans to grow back her hair as soon as possible.
  • She admits that she prefers the ‘Asaba’ straight-to-DVD movies because they are more commercially successful than those that go straight to cinema.

To find out more, check on it!

Photo Credit: Instagram – ChikaIke

1. hmm

June 11, 2013 at 11:51 am

yh right…..her eye opened and she wanted to be a bigs girl…hubby is a slacker so girl left….lol…all the best to her

• bidibang

June 12, 2013 at 5:33 am

wow…u people that are pro FREEDOM need to be careful…we are Africans and we are not Caucasians…this new found freedom it working great for americans! NOT!!! please we must not experience everything we can easily learn from people who lived such lifestyles and say a big no no to it…Chika ike, I am sorry you are not that attractive and as a woman we a like flowers…theres no such thing as the grass being green on the other side…I wonder what life will be like if God divorced us at the slightest mistake we make…you have married took a vow for better for worse…him being lame is also part of for worse…I guess you jokers just love walking down the isle for show…but sweetie pie mark my words, you will regret this decision of yours. happiness can never come to you, you create IT!

• magh

June 12, 2013 at 3:37 pm

shut up..she chose to walk the path of divorce.. all this your sermon take it somewhere else..peace

• Jia

June 15, 2013 at 6:33 pm

bidibang- You can chose to expire if you want. Whoever said that shit about women being like flowers hates women. My issue is not with that statement but with women believing it. That is why you women get depressed and intimidated of younger women as you get older meanwhile men enjoy their lives until they die. Is Iman, an African woman, not 60 yrs old? She looks better than many 20/30 somethings. If you take care of yourself internally and externally and love yourself why worry about “deteriorating”?

I support a woman who knows what she wants , speaks with God, and goes for it. Her decision to leave her marriage is her business and should be that way. Develop a personal relationship with God instead of giving this generic sermon your minister probably tells everyone. What matters is that she’s happy with her decisions. Your lecture is invalid.

I wouldn’t take any advice trying to hinder my freedom from an African..especially a Nigerian. We are famous for suffering & smiling.

• JACKIE

January 18, 2014 at 7:13 pm

DONT FORGET HE WAS BEATING HER – he deserves the disgrace
      he got*

2. Mma

June 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I really hope she didn’t say it like that.
    africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk

3. lily

June 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm

the presenter should improve more, she is far fluent and expressive than him

• Andie

June 11, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I don’t think we watched the same interview

• iba

June 11, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I’m afraid i have to agree with you. I didnt get that uhmnp factor during this interview and sort of expected so much from Ebuka.
      Chika i dont know you, neither have i watched your film. well articulated young lady. u go girl but i feel bad taste to have posed in court during a divorce proceeding.LOL all the best in live love

• Royalty

June 11, 2013 at 6:05 pm

EBUKA def needs to improve. Hez not a gud and well spoken interviewer! iv said it b4..imma keep saying it. any1 dat disagrees probly aint herd beta interviews. the boy tries, but he can do beta.

4. Eat, pray, love

June 11, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Hmmm, lamp light kwa.

• bobo

June 12, 2013 at 2:49 am

i think say na only me hear am ohh..aunty talk lamp light

5. Mee

June 11, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Obi uchendu…so na only fine boy u sabi do. Poor presentation and interviewing skills

6. Kenny

June 11, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I am sorry to say this but from what I have seen from that interview, he is not a good presenter. Very surprised and shocked by what I saw. So I guess all the noise is only about him being an “EYE CANDY”. Don’t know him, but he appears a very good guy with a likeable personality and look going for him. He should stick to other forms of journalism and not a TV presenter. He reminds me of Kelly Brook. No bad belle, just a candid, honest view and opinion.

7. Partyrider

June 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I agree,Ebuka needs to do better..Chika on the other had was more expressive and in fact fluent.
    She’s not a great actress in my opinion,but I can’t knock her hustle..all the best.

8. zaq

June 11, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Am confused. What are you guys saying about the presenter? Seems like a great interview to me. Had to watch twice to be sure I hadn’t missed something

9. zaq

June 11, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Anyway I just wonder how old child is that she’s already been through a divorce

10. That Girl

June 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

What kind of nonsense name is Rubbin’ Minds?? Signs of a career going downhill

11. Bella

June 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

So she left her marriage abi?

• BabyDee

June 11, 2013 at 2:41 pm

**chewing stick in mouth and asking if “You need a glass of ice water to push that realization down?”

-BabyDee

• martha

June 27, 2013 at 7:17 pm

do u want 2 go there

12. Just saying...

June 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

• chichi

June 11, 2013 at 2:36 pm

lmao..ebuka is that you??…Dont mind them jare..

• goldfinch

June 11, 2013 at 9:23 pm

lmao……he sure is.

13. Dearie

June 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Ebuka needs thorough schooling as regards interviewing guests. I’m quite disappointed. And to think his friends on twitter say he’s a mini Piers Morgan – gosh! This is appalling.
    Then Channels TV, how about you guys get better cameras? You make a lot of money don’t you? How can you be giving us this kind of picture quality in this Jesus age? Get modern equipments and not these tear-inducing ones. Too painful to watch.

• Autoprincess

June 11, 2013 at 3:23 pm

lmao @ in this Jesus age

• TRUTH

June 11, 2013 at 9:42 pm

THANK YOU!! I LEFT NAIJA MORE THAN 2 YEARS AGO, WATCHING THIS SORT OF QUALITY NOW I’M LIKE – JESUS!! IS CHANNELS STILL LIVING IN THE STONE AGE? HOW CHEAP CAN THEY BE TO NOT HAVE MADE ANY SLIGHT UPGRADE ATALL! GADDEM.

14. ClaireN

June 11, 2013 at 2:36 pm

LOL, what’s funny is the people here who commented about Ebuka being a bad presenter, have horrible diction. Ebuka is a stellar presenter. Chika Ike, on the other hand, needs grade level English classes. She seems pleasant, though

• TRUTH

June 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm

OH HI EBUKA….NICE TO READ YOUR CRITIC OF YOURSELF ON HERE! BYE EBUKA.

• goldfinch

June 11, 2013 at 10:03 pm

please why are you shouting all over BN? Do you dislike Channels TV and Ebuka that much.

15. Kenny

June 11, 2013 at 3:01 pm

ClaireN, what planet are you from?. I can’t believe what you are saying in this day and age. The main thing wasn’t his diction, but presentation and interviewing skills. It goes to show that we are really suffering in Nigeria from “poverty of the Mind”. Some of us have grown to the stage that we can’t differentiate left from right. Is this how backward some of us are in this country?. Giant of Africa. Such an embarrassment. Oh Gosh! You are worthy, Oh Lord. Blessed be your holy name.

16. Jia

June 11, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Oh hooo ooo.. Chike is talking about coming to terms with your own person, knowing the truth, and true happiness. Nigerian women have little or no knowledge of these things because it is normal to remain in bad situations (bad relationships/ bad marriages). The Nigerian culture does not help women become better people for themselves. Nigerian women are pressured to be the best for other people and ignore their sense of being. I may be wrong but Nigerian women may be the unhappiest group of people in Nigeria. So many weddings but not many marriages. If you are not happy in a marriage and your husband is no longer the man you married why are you still there. Another issue I have with Nigerian women is accepting advice from people who don’t feel the hurt as much as you do.

17. Dearie

June 11, 2013 at 5:59 pm

@ClaireN did you just type “Ebuka is a stellar presenter?” That’s blasphemy right there dearie! Even Ebuka will disagree with you. Besides, do you watch proper interviews though? If you do, you won’t put Ebuka and ‘stellar presenter’ in the same sentence. Besides, did you LISTEN to those critiquing him on BN to know they’ve got bad DICTION? And Ebuka’s horrible interviewing skill isn’t about his diction but his lack of interviewing skill, listen to the way he asked all his questions and come back to tell me he’s ‘a stellar presenter’.
    *walks away muttering “Ebuka is a stellar presenter” and shaking my head*

18. Pace

June 11, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Ebuka was ill prepared for this interview cos I have seen him do better. This chick is boring as hell and cannot act. Ebuka you should have told the senator she was sleeping with

19. Onyi

June 11, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Sen Ned Nwoko!

20. chizzy

June 11, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Hmmmmmmm!

21. goldfinch

June 11, 2013 at 9:52 pm

After watching the interview, I’m beginning to love Chika Ike.
    Maybe because this is the first time I’m hearing her speak.
    She seems to me as a very likeable person.

22. milly

June 11, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Chika you are out of the marriage! Good for you we are tired of your raves about your marriage not working! Your Ex is chilling ! You too take a chill pill and move on to something new.
    At least we saw you court taking pictures in court as if it a good thing to be divorced this young, you entertainers in Nigeria set the wrong prescedent for the younger generation and please I believe you are a very pretty lady, you do not need those heavy make up on your face like “ojuju calabar”.

23. Curious

June 12, 2013 at 2:00 am

This Ebuka dude is annoying!

24. NNENNE

June 12, 2013 at 2:36 am

Chika, this is definitely better than those weave-on you wore.

25. Chick

June 12, 2013 at 9:24 am

We Nigerians should learn to be more constructive in our criticism…fine, Ebuka could have done better but there are better ways of passing the message across! Chika is indeed a brave lady, all d best to her..

26. charles

June 13, 2013 at 1:00 am

chika you shouldnt have drop your mariage that way all eye was on you bcos of your performance,life gose on..

27. Gwen. Ovono

June 13, 2013 at 2:11 am

It was all a pleasure to watch your interview. For sure,you’re one of the best naija actresses.Keep doing your best and live your passion of acting to the fullest.No matter the negative criticisms,remember you’re the only one who knows who you really are.I wish you all the best.Kiss

28. pet

June 13, 2013 at 1:12 pm

now your single what your next plan.cos am available 07060668793

29. Akpeno

June 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

So Ebuka just fine eh? Too bad he should watch jara for tips….

30. juliet

June 13, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Well’ guys allow her, if relationship does’nt work out it does not mean one has to force his or her self because if they should have kids. Those kids will be the ones to suffer their lack of love.soi think she did what is best for her.

31. holiest

June 14, 2013 at 12:07 am

Wish u all d best in ur adventure jewwwww.

32. akuba bartholomew

June 25, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Fello Nigerians, we should try to be constructive during situations like this, it couuld happen to any body,after all perfection belongs to God alone. My brother carry go! Nothing do you.

33. Huraira

July 6, 2013 at 12:09 pm

If she want divorce is ok.

34. Freshkid