News

What Are Your Thoughts on the Practice of African Traditional Religion? Watch the Documentary by Matthew Ojoduma

Atoke

The issue of religion and our practice of it as Nigerians has always been fascinating to me. This was brought to the fore recently as I read the divergent opinions on the history of Halloween and how it was a construct of the ‘West’ and something that we were quick to imbibe. Then, I thought about the origin of Christianity and Islam in Nigeria and I wondered if those were also not ‘bestowed’ upon us.  So why are we so eager to embrace these religions? Someone said ‘they have better packaging’. Imagine if an Ogun shrine/temple had a nice building and a well-paved parking lot; with air conditioning and nice seats. Would people be more open to accepting it as their own?

It is interesting how we think dressing up as Thor, Loki or other Marvel comic super heroes is cool but it is abhorrent to consider dressing up as a Dibia because it is ‘simply evil’. How did our traditional gods get such bad PR? A friend of mine attributed it to the first translation of the Bible into Yoruba.  He said that Bishop Ajayi Crowther did a loose translation of the word ‘Satan’ into ‘Esu’ and from there, the deity called ‘Esu’ got stuck with a negative vibe.

Ever so often, we find that when people find themselves in extremely difficult situations, they run back to where they believe they can get help. Last year, I wrote a  piece titled ‘Are You the New Age Traditional Nigerian?’ {Please find the link here} and a number of people admitted to having adopted western religion but they duly acknowledged the role of the native deities when they were in dire straits.

Then, I watched  a short film by Matthew Ojoduma, about the worship of Ayelala in certain parts of Nigeria. Ayelala is said to be the goddess of truth and justice. People brought their issues for dispute before the chief and the priests of Ayelala. It was quite intriguing to note that this documentary was shot in modern day Nigeria, where a lot of people would not openly admit to resorting to such means for conflict.

One of the guys being interviewed had this to say:
Our forefathers, without knowing that there was a God in heaven, served our traditional African gods. But when religion came, when God was introduced, we were supposed to do away with it… because it’s not helping us

So, this man was saying that prior to the advent of the Europeans and the Arabs who gave us mirrors, education and nice buildings to worship in, we were waddling in the dark.
There were some other people who were interviewed who acknowledged the current practice of traditional religions and some noted that perhaps if more people practiced openly, we’d be more receptive to the idea that this is who we truly are intrinsically. The question of whether the African deities are being used to perpetuate evil begs the question of whether bad things don’t also happen under the watch of the deities handed down to us by the West and the Arabs.

Please watch the video of this documentary and share your thoughts. I would like us to look at this objectively and not emotionally. Let us try not to descend to the level of bashing other people’s religions. We should look at it from the point of what is traditional and what we have adapted.

Watch the video of Matthew’s documentary on Ayelala and the practice of African Traditional religion.

Please share your thoughts on the different issues raised in the short documentary above.

1. BC

November 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I believe in Christ and His doctrine however I want to understand traditional african religion better. Our forefathers couldn’t have been so wrong. There is something about the movements, singing, rituals, and spirituality in T.A.R that is authentically African and kinda draws me to it. There has to be a positive side to it.

2. Nneks

November 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Personally I dont believe in it but I would not criticize those that practice it…only when it exceeds common sense that i dont like…..we have to preserve some of our identity somehow…everyone has something that keeps them going, let them be

3. Gorgeous

November 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Na wah oooo. This ayelala be like witches coven for day light. See wahala…

4. nwanyi na aga aga

November 7, 2013 at 4:09 pm

“So, this man was saying that prior to the advent of the Europeans and the Arabs who gave us mirrors, education and nice buildings to worship in, we were waddling in the dark?” My answer is ‘YES”… My father lost 4 brothers 2 sets of twins to our ‘dear’ African religion. I can give you a whole lot of examples that my dad gave me of women who were drowned cos they did not produce blood on marriage hence not virgins, What if they were not born with hymen?.. there are litany of examples. I will tell you that our people were quick to embrace the religion from the west Christianity precisely cos it granted them liberty in a lot of things.. Some ppl are likening Halloween to our masquerade cult and all I can say is that these ppl know nothing of our own masquerades.. How dare a woman be found miles near their gathering? Can a woman ever be in the cult? the Ans is Never… The Liberty of mind and soul the Christian religion propagated was their best selling point. It was what drew people and kept them. Imagine now if you need something from God all you need do is pray, fast and believe compare it to them when all manner of sacrifices will be heaped on your head, some of which you cannot afford, again compare the forgiveness of sins- All you need do is confess in ur room and everything will be washed away, How dare just ur confession and sacrifice wash away capital sin during the days of our fore fathers?

• Gorgeous

November 7, 2013 at 4:20 pm

You have some serious points here. I never looked a it in this angle. I always attributed it to Africans and their over enthusiasm to think foregin things are superior. But this is a very plausible point of view. However, i will point out that Yoruba traditional religion and customs recognized womens rights, women were in these cults. They were politicians and even one was a powerful Oba at a point. Women also belonged to Ogboni and twins were accepted. Only the king could order the death of anyone, and an overzealous or crazy king would have been killed. It was also an eye for an eye, you kill you will be killed. I guess i was looking at it from a cultural aspect, not thinking of other cultures. When i think of it the Yoruba traditional religion was not that bad really. I think they actually had a better life than now. Leaders were accountable for their actions, a bad king was expected to even commit suicide in the event of failure in his reign. It was a very democratic system.

• bahcrumbles

November 5, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Yes, there are powerful women in the oral histories of Yoruba tradition, but women are certainly not empowered by Yoruba men in practice. There is definitely fear of woman’s power and many patriarchal and downright misogynistic abuses have and do still occur. The Yoruba traditionalists love to tell the story of how the Orisa Osun was favored by Olodumare, the Creator when the male Orisas disrespected her. But the disrespect they practice in their relationships with women seems to indicate the story is simply entertainment.

• Okechukwu Ofili

November 7, 2013 at 6:16 pm

(please bella try and post without removing my paragraphs
      biko) nwanyi na aga aga: I bet you forget that Christianity was the
      same religion that the colonial masters used to justify slavery.
      That in the very same compound that Africans were being brutalized
      and dehumanized that Europeans were worshiping in their Churches. I
      bet you forget that the catholic church has numerous cases of child
      sexual abuse and homosexuality that no one wants to talk about. I
      bet you forget that in Saudi Arabia women cannot drive a car
      because it is against their religion. I bet you forget that the
      Catholics and Protestants in Ireland fought a bloody war for years,
      including suicide bombing and mass killings all in the name of
      whose Christianity was better. My point is that no religion is
      perfect. Not Christianity, Not Islam and not Traditional religion.
      I am not asking that we should go all Shango and Amadiorah on
      people, but my question is why can’t our gods be recognized the
      same way as the greek gods. The Apoolo’s and Poseidon’s…but no we
      put them as black…as dark…as evil. Did you know that Ekwensu
      was never really the devil in Igbo mythology, but the colonialist
      interpreted Ekwensu as the Chrisitan equivalent of the Devil and so
      that is why till today we regard Ekwensu as the Devil in the Igbo
      language. But o welll…I am ranting. Need to fly back to work.
      Just remember no religion is perfect. If you check the back history
      of Christianity you will see its evolution…the good and the
      bad.

• LL

November 7, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Mr. Ofili GBAM!!!! I do tell people it is what is inside YOU that is religion. Your character, attitude and disposition. All these religions (Christianity, Islam, African Traditional Religion, Buddhism etc) ALL had/has their crinkum-crankum .

• Qongpo

November 7, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Exactly my train of thoughts. You couldn’t have said it any better.

• ms lala

November 7, 2013 at 8:35 pm

lol…am slowly moon walking back to you…after i ran away…tell em why u mad son lol…ps..I heard oooo EKWENSU AINT REALLY THE DEVIL IN IGBO thought my oldman was pulling my legs…mehn you will fear colonlist mofos..lets not mention the spanish inquisition…or Salem witch trial all in the name of God smh…

• nwanyi na aga aga

November 8, 2013 at 8:43 am

Ofili if you read my reply very well you will understand that it was an ans to a question of whether they were in the dark, And I retain my ans that yes they were in the dark. The examples you have given here were not tenets of a religion apart from the Saudi Arabia example which I cannot speak much on as I have little or no knowledge of the religion.
      On Slavery: Our TAR recognized slavery, slaves were captives from war. I will ask you a questions Did our Obis of Onitsha, Obas of Benin, OOnis of Ife and Saruduanas not have slaves. even in Igbo Land a particular group of ppl who had ‘Ifite’ or ‘ihite’ depending on the dialects before their town names were known to be settlers who escaped and camped on other lands after their original towns were ravaged by war. Slavery was not a Tenet of Christian Faith, it was a fad at the time. It was never a practice of religion, it was a political role, that even Christianity helped to abolish. The white man came politically to conquer Africa just like the Oba of Benin once conquered Asaba and Onitsha environs, it didn’t have anything to do with what gods they worship it was a political move. My take is that Christianity did not introduce slavery to Africa, we Africans already had slaves amongst us, they simply came and just like the modus operandi of every war in every part of the world, you conquered the ppl and took them captives to work in your farms and homes. So mentioning that Christianity brought slavery to Africa is as false as it is wrong.
      On Child abuse and Homosexuality these has also been existing in our Africa and in Nigeria here, girls were known to be given out in marriage as soon as they developed breast, now how about a child that had fast growth who developed the so called breast at 8 or 10? Is that not child abuse? but then it is neither a tenet of the TAR nor a Christian Tenet, it was a cultural thing like I have said before its a manifestation of evil in ppl irrespective of their religion. Christianity didn’t bring these to us, we had it already, we just simply started talking about it openly aided by the freedom Christianity offered us.
      You talk about the protestant\catholic war. If you take time to study that particular history, you will notice the political nature of it all.
      I am yet to get an example like the one I gave killing of twins was not a fad nor a tradition from the side of Igbo land I come from it was a religious requirement, it was desecration to the land, the gods were angry with you hence they treated you as an animal by splitting the seed in your womb. The cleansing of non-virgins and their subsequent burials was also a religious requirement, the sacrifices, the isolation all were moderated by the Chief priest. You didn’t have a choice, you did it cos the gods required it of you.
      I will still say it if whether we like it or not most of us are angry with the Christian faith yet I still see those same ppl fill out forms in Nigeria calling ourselves Christian. At least there is freedom of worship now and I will like ppl to walk the talk, if you think the white ppl just rubbished our good gods very simple convert to our original TAR and pls remember to evangelize to us and let us know how it goes. I for one I am very inquisitive and will really like too know.

• 5'5

November 8, 2013 at 8:58 am

HI Ofili,

Women dont drive in Saudi because the Saudi Government/Monarch says so not because it is against the Religion.
      Thank you.

• one person

November 13, 2013 at 8:22 am

@ nwanyi na aga aga! I just love you. You will never be accused of arguing blindly. Chop knuckle abeg!

• slice

November 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm

i agree with you. in many cases, the oppressed were the
      first to accept christianity because at least on paper, it says we
      are all equal. any mother would be happy with a religion that says
      it’s ok for her to keep her twins that the other religion said she
      had to throw away. I’ve also always wondered whether christianity
      and islam were accepted in Naija because the other gods were there
      when the oyibos and muslims were able to overthrow the chiefs etc
      that were serving them. it’s easy to move to the “winning
      god.”

• Tincan

November 7, 2013 at 6:54 pm

The liberty of mind and soul… *Standing ovation*

• Sola

September 7, 2015 at 9:13 am

Christianity and Islam brought the promise of the most brutal form of slavery. They preach that African people are inferior and subhuman to, and the property of paleskinned people, to be butchered, raped, tortured, lynched, mutilated, worked to death, slaughtered for no reason, their skins used for shoes and purses and their flesh eaten. So I do not associate these religions with freedom WHATSOEVER. The complete opposite. Yoruba spirituality has female deities, where are females in the foreign religions???????????? Yoruba spirituality teaches that the creator gave women have Aje = The most power, that must not be used indiscriminately. The other religions are mysogynistic and discriminate on skin colour. They are definitely not for me. We must remember slavery and colonisation and corrupt individuals have distorted much of our spirituality. We are here to practice Iwa Pele: good character. It is very simple, as long as what you are doing is with love and good intention our spiritual system is very beautiful. May Eledumare continue to guide us. Ase

5. bobo

November 7, 2013 at 4:20 pm

“Our forefathers, without knowing that there was a God in heaven, served our traditional African gods.” I disagree! There’s always been one divine God, the creator. Islam, Christianity, Traditional religions all believe in the same one God but via Mohammed, Jesus Christ and the entities (gods) respectively. All religions teach moral values. There is good and there is evil. There is heaven and there is hell. You do good you go to heaven..you do evil you go to hell. Years before the introduction of Christianity and Islam, we were an existing civilization and we had our own ways of life and our traditional religions. Good and evil had existed and didn’t start when Christianity and Islam were introduced. Everybody claims his or her religion is the best. Your belief is based on your enlightenment and personal experience. At the end of the day, the best religion is the one that leads you to the divine God and heaven. By the way, I’m proudly Christian and believe in Jesus Christ (thru personal experience) :)

6. madman

November 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I believe people should be free to explore any kinds of religions that they use… I would to learn more about the Yoruba religion Ifa… that thing is so powerful. But many babalawos these days are fake and very into money.

I think it’s better for people to practice this religion and do it all the way. Than try to worship two (2) gods which many people in Nigeria do. They go to church on Sundays and then go to the Ifa shrine, Ayelala shrine, Ogboni Shrine…. if you are going to stand for something. Stand for it boldly. But I would imagine people hide that they belong to these other religions because if you say you are Ogboni, Ifa, or Ayelala publicly, no one will want to do business with you. Hence many people are forced hide by going to shrine and going to church.

7. July

November 7, 2013 at 4:42 pm

@ nwanyi na aga aga: You make very valid points about the negative aspects of Traditional African Religion but could the same not be said of Christianity? For example the Catholic doctrine which does not advocate birth control and hence poor Catholic countries like Brazil are overrun with swelling families who cannot afford to keep having children but have them and sink further into poverty and such like due to following this doctrine.

Or what about the churches cover up of the sexual abuse that priests have perpetrated on young boys? Or even the fact that whilst I do agree that women are not as harshly treated in Christianity as with TAR, the patriarchal systems are still deeply rooted within in, just take the bible for example which is written predominately from a male point of view and in some instances views women as less than?

Every religion and belief system has both its negative and positive aspects and it is for one to decide what speaks to their soul and sense of wellbeing. My soul is made happy following my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ but I don’t think we should take away from someone elses happiness and contentment in what they believe especially when no one system is perfect (at least from human eyes).

• nwanyi na aga aga

November 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I understand what you are trying to say but the difference with what I am saying and what you are saying is that with the Traditional African Religion values you have no choice, you are mandated, if you flaunt it voluntarily or involuntarily you will be punished excessively. Let me use your examples the birth control issues you raised Who forces these ppl not to use the birth control measures? No one its in the mind, its what they believe. They have a freedom of that. Will you tell me that some ppl in Brazil do not use the birth control measures? So you are allowed to chose hence the freedom I talked about. They ve an option of other denominations who preach otherwise but they chose what they wanted. Can you say that for my Grandmum who lost 4boys after 6yrs of ritual cleansing she passed through? Did she have a choice? Could she have saved her kids even if she wanted? Could she had refused to be cleansed?
      Now going to the sexual abuse its purely out of context here, you are attributing the sexual molestation of those kids to Christianity. Are you saying those priests molested those kids cos they were xtians? The ans is still No…They molested those kids cos that’s who they became, it had nothing to do with their faith, the faith they profess even preaches otherwise..Let us even view it in your contest, you know the Chief priests could take your wife if they wanted and there was nothing you could do in the days cos they will tell you the gods mandated it. Now did the gods of those days mandate such? No
      I am not against African religion, I studied the similarities of the African and Western Religion a lot with my father, the truth is that while they are similar in a lot of ways, the freedom, glamor and simplicity the western religion offered was the greatest appealing factors. same thing with the democracy we all preach, the freedom to chose who you want, when you want and how you want, is the appealing factor if not our original ruling modus operandi was monarchical why then do we all want democracy? Cos of the freedom it offers, that’s why its still hard for a lot of African countries to practice.

• AA

November 8, 2013 at 2:05 pm

All of you keep on bringing up the Catholic church and its atrocities, what about the atrocities of the Pentecostal Church? Oh, have you forgotten about the Salem witch trials that saw many women burned? What about Helen Ukpabio?

8. Chi

November 7, 2013 at 4:45 pm

@nwanyi na aga aga GOD bless you.

• Dolapo

November 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm

As in, He really will. Cos the babe has spoken up in defence of the faith against the likes of misinformed Ofili and co

9. GreenDiamond

November 7, 2013 at 6:44 pm

lmmmmaaooo my guy don preach go!!! looooooool… by d way there is only one true GOD my personal person my daddy aye!!!! JESUS!! Oshe!!

10. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 7, 2013 at 7:16 pm

May I say shortly before I get vilified, we seem to be focusing on the overzealous application of these religions by its believers than on the substantive religions themselves.

And while we are at it, most of us did not choose our religion, we were born into it.

• culturebedamned

November 8, 2013 at 10:27 am

You are very right. Most of the comments here are focusing
      on overzealous application of these religions by its believers. The
      same can be said for the points @ nwanyi na aga aga made. A good
      example is the point you made about a priest taking your wife and
      you dare not challenge it. Moreover those points are certainly more
      to do with the culture of the day than the religion. Doesn’t
      similar and more happen today in modern religions? Why does this
      happen? Because priests in those days and pastors and imams of
      today are revered as next to God or the gods they serve. So
      whatever they say goes. Of course most of us now know that these
      people are also human and therefore they are fallible. If you
      devote yourself to the study and practices of whatever religion you
      choose, you will attain the so called higher level of spirituality
      of its leaders and no one can pull the wool over your eyes. I mean
      once upon a time when Roman Catholicism was the only christian
      denomination, the common man couldn’t touch let alone read the
      bible for himself before the Protestants protested against this and
      broke away. Only bishops and the pope could touch and read the
      bible. Also the bible was written in Latin and was a language only
      the elites spoke. So it was whatever they read and translated to
      you that you accepted. Also if the truth was mixed with a lie you
      are hardly likely to spot it and even if you do, the truth it was
      mixed with would most likely make you accept it. I’m sure I don’t
      need to tell you all the evils this was used to perpetrate then and
      now. It might interest you to know that a form of divination akin
      to Ifa divination was practiced in the bible. Yes both old and new
      testaments. Leviticus 16:8, Joshua 7, Joshua 18:6, Jonah 1:7,
      Proverbs 16:33, Acts of the Apostles 1:23-26. I think we owe it to
      ourselves as individuals that whatever religion we may choose to
      follow, to study its origins, the contexts in which its doctrines
      were developed so no pastor or imam or priest or whatever can piss
      on your trainers and tell you it is raining!

11. Yeye Oshun Miwa. Iyanifa

November 7, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Alafia good people:
    I have been reading these posts and feel the need to share an update with my African kindred. Are you all aware that Orisha worship is alive and well in Brazil, Venezuela, Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago, Haiti, and across the United States? Are you aware that Orisha worshippers are educated people with Ph.D’s from Universities such as Harvard, Yale, and Stanford? Please be informed that Orisha worship has been declared a legitimate religion by the U.S. Supreme Court due to the efforts of millions of citizens. Also know that the Oshun shrine in Oshogbo has been declared a sacred site by UNESCO due to the efforts of Wande Abimbola. Go to Amazon.com and put in the word Orisha so you can see the massive amounts of literature on the subject. Then google the word so you can see the schools, community centers, healing centers, performing arts groups etc. named for Orisha. Perhaps you will want to connect with the World Orisa Congress so you can know that we have temple members in Israel,India, Austria, London and all over the world.
    Speaking as an African-American woman, priestess of Oshun and Ifa, I bless this conversation because it invites us to examine the effects of colonialism and internalized oppression so that we can heal from it. To understand our challenges I invite you to read Trans-generational Slave Syndrome and Healing by Dr. Joy DeGuy.
    Further the requirements, the liabilities, and the blessings named in this discussion are evident in every tradition in the world, throughout time. What is important now is that a new paradigm must be found where there is cooperation between the traditions, where there is respect between the races, where men, women and children are safe, where our science has enough spirituality in it to preserve the Earth we share, and where we create cultures of consequence for our children.
    Thank you for listening.

• Sem

November 8, 2013 at 5:45 am

Well said…

12. Loveis my religion.

November 7, 2013 at 11:54 pm

My people are mixing culture up with traditional religions.It was in certain culture that women be drowned if they werent virgins on their wedding days.Same as burying kids alive if they werent boys etc. African religion never thought these and would never.
    We all claim to be christians and muslims because we are all born into it and we’ve been brainwashed by our parents.Most of these pastors and imams do consult traditional worshippers in one way or the other.I can go on and on but i wont bore you with my rants.
    The only religion acceptable should be LOVE!

13. http://legonaija.blogspot.co.uk

November 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

BACKWARDNESS!!

14. AA

November 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Pentecostal Church has their own over zealousness, not just the Catholic Church. If you want to give examples, be fair!!!! Salem Witch Trials, Helen Ukpabio, can I go on with the Pentecostal Church’s over zealous interpretation of the bible??? Enough of this Catholic bashing!!!

15. Jumoke

November 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm

nwanyi na aga aga is the only one that has made me se things in a different light. Pls start a blog so I can follow your research and knowledge… Thanks

16. lucious

November 8, 2013 at 6:08 pm

oh nooo why did the video have to be in bini?! my husband wont stop teasing me, they should have gone to IJEBU!!!

Ayelala gbe wa! na wa sha o.

Only God knows the true heart of man.

17. NNENNE

November 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I was born , raised a Catholic. and remain a Catholic.
    My summary of religion is simply,”Love your neighbor as yourself and love whoever you call your God.”
    Let God be judge of which religion is better than the order. I respect all religions,as long as the worshipers love and respect others.

18. Matthew

November 9, 2013 at 8:50 am

I think it will be interesting to hear what Atheist have to say about this. Am of the belief that the creator of heaven and earth cannot be limited to any particular religious group. Rather religious groups are entities with (by my understanding) ancestors like Jesus Christ, people who distinguished themselves when they were alive. Now talking about the difficulties of African religion such as the wahala of often giving sacrifices to ogun. I think this applies to Christianity too. I mean imagine the inconvenience of having churches in residential buildings regularly doing all night service and prayer warfare everyday of the week, making a noise, disturbing peace of the neighborhood!! After that the church members go on fasting and the next Sunday they are encouraged to drop certain percentage of their hard earned petty income. When these monies have been gathered, a certain leader decides to buy Mercedes for his wife and a massive jet to fly him around. Meanwhile all roads leading to the church are begging for repairs and reconstruction. So therefore i think the imperfection of Christianity is as bad as African religious groups at their worst.

19. MsThomas

November 12, 2013 at 10:12 am

This is more than we can imagine…I watched the full length of Myth or Fiction on one of those online portals and trust me, I was scared for a minute… Watch here dobox.tv/magicbox/view/19343/Movie

20. Isu ati Epo

November 13, 2013 at 9:20 am

Ayelala is a Yoruba religion practiced by the Ilaje and Ikale areas of Ondo/Ekiti State before it was also taken to Benin and parts of other areas in Nigeria.It is still a part of Ikale/Ilaje and other reverine areas of Ondo State.That is my point of correction.

21. Isu ati Epo

November 13, 2013 at 9:26 am

Yoruba gods and goddesses are worshipped all over the world.It is more authentic in Cuba,Brazil ,USA,England,Caribbean,Latin America,including Mexico up till today.They also speak Yoruba very well with their own accents.

22. Isu ati Epo

November 13, 2013 at 9:44 am

Anyway ,the Yorubas and Benin people are related.Yorubas are related to most of the tribes in Nigeria.Even up in the northern part you find many tribes related to the Yorubas.I wont come to this blog anymore because I think most of the readers are not educated.Just read the comments.Its a shame.Go back and read your history guys.Especially THE RELIGION OF THE YORUBAS and HISTORY OF THE YORUBAS.

23. Isu ati Epo

November 13, 2013 at 9:51 am

THE HISTORY OF THE YORUBAS IS BY J>JOHNSON FROM SIERRA LEONE while THE RELIGION OF THE YORUBAS IS BY J.OLUMIDE LUCAS

24. Isu ati Epo

November 13, 2013 at 9:58 am

I am a whie American citizen that visited Nigeria in the early 80s.Lived and did my research all over Nigeria before coming back to the usa.Spent 15 years in Nigeria.I love isu ati epo every morning.I also fell in love with the Yorubas and their religions which they brought from lower part of Egypt(Nubia)coming through present day Sudan to Nigeria.My advise to Nigerians is “read your own history”and follow your own religions.Dont copy everything from the west.

• christy

November 19, 2013 at 12:19 pm

You have said it all ISU ati ……. We should “read your own history”and follow our own religions. We shouldn’t copy everything from the west.