News

Nigerian Senate proposes Bill Seeking 7-Year Jail Term for Government Critics

Nigerian Senate - December 2013 - BellaNaija

Critics watch out, the government is coming for you

BBC Africa is reporting that the Nigerian Senate has proposed a bill seeking a 7-year jail term for social media critics who are found guilty of inciting the public against the Nigerian government.

It simply means an activist may be arrested and set to jail for 7 years if he/she turns the people against the federal government.

BN will keep you updated as the story unfolds.

1. U.B.I

December 4, 2013 at 2:16 pm

issorai,make evry1 siddon look while they loot govt funds..9ja we hail thee..anytin goes!

2. Simi

December 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm

What an idiotic idea.

3. Funmi

December 4, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Who is going to help us in this country…….Oluwa gbawa ninu aanu re.

4. chinco

December 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Is this a dictatorship? Rubbish!!! How do u improve urself when u can’t take criticisms, it just goes to show the spineless irresponsible cowards we have as lawmakers and leaders

5. zelda

December 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm

wht happend to freedom of speech rights? hisss

• nana

December 4, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Freedom of speech, i can guarantee but freedom after speech i cannot guarantee .
      Says Idi Amin

• jcsgrl

December 4, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Lol @ the afterward bit…the ish is real

6. Modella

December 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Blogs and facebook critics too?

7. Ady

December 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm

we are back to military era then so no freedom of speech

8. Mz Socially Awkward...

December 4, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Idiots. Why don’t they start with their stooge, Reuben Abati and move things on from there? I’m sure we can find plenty evidence from his former life that you morons can convict him with.

I dare you band of robbers to tamper with existing constitutional rights by passing this into law – the citizens who put you there are your employers, they have every right allowed by a democracy to criticize your shoddy non-performance. And Nigerians, come 2015, will vote in the same caliber of dimwits into power and we’ll all be wondering why the country is heading downhill so quickly.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm

In fact, anyone who even opened their mouth to contemplate this foolishness as a possibility, I give you 5-finger “WAKA”. Ndi oshi with no shame. Oya, use my IP address to come and arrest me…

• Non professional opinion

December 4, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I’m glad people like you still have fire, because apathy is really starting to take over for me where Nigeria is concerned. The nonsense is never ending.

• whocares

December 4, 2013 at 3:17 pm

you took the words from my fingertips, and saved my keyboard from some furious typing. I think the Nigerian government is a JOKE. ever since I heard a senator saying the main reason behind the 15years jail term for homosexuals was because it went against tradition, I lost all hope. I am not surprised someone came up with this bs. it was a matter of time. you think its ok to jail people for who they decide to be with, with no concrete justification but we cry fowl when they attempt to pass these laws? a sese bere ni (we just started)

• Ready

December 4, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Heheheh. Dem bishes. Wasn’t one senator just crying because he voted for child marriage? Let them try to pass this one! Bet you’ll see a rebuttal from them in tomorrow’s headlines. God punish whomever, whichever of them does it. Let’s see who’ll sponsor the bill sef. If you take away online social media activism, what’s left? Begging God to touch their hearts?

9. Pynk

December 4, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Seriously do these people understand that we run a democracy and part of the benefits of that is freedom of speech. Even if a country is inhabited by foolish people, a decent leader can make proper decision. Nigeria we are continuously led by visionless borderline illiterates who bring their personal lackluster idiotic ideas to the forefront. They need to concern themselves with proper governance, then people wont complain on social media.

10. BIMBY

December 4, 2013 at 3:03 pm

This is the JOKE of the year. In a democratic dispensation? I laugh in Chinese. Bunch of retards!

11. M.h

December 4, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Why pass freedom of speech bill then?

• Hian!

December 5, 2013 at 2:14 am

Honey. It’s FOI bill. freedom of INFORMATION.

12. Iris

December 4, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Finally the truth has come out. They are tired of pretending that their rule is democratic so that they don’t look like power-hungry dictators to the rest of the world. Meanwhile they’ve forgotten about the citizenship bill their Reps were supposed to review again so that an under-age married girl is not qualified as an adult. Politicians don’t understand what an elected representative is. For them it is still an issue of being “elders” while our generation are the children. I’m just tired.

13. Ayana

December 4, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I wonder what’s in the water that these ‘special people’ aka Nigerian Government officials /lawmakers/politicians drink? We clearly don’t drink from the same well.

14. Ali

December 4, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I see that the senate is littered with IDIOTS. There’s no need commenting on this cos we the masses are waiting for them to pass that smelling bill into law. Aswear we’ll know if they put themselves there or we put them there…mtchewwww

15. Idak

December 4, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Since l learnt to ignore these barbarians who have been moved their trading from the street corner to the city center, my health has been the better for it. They might be plundering our commonwealth but I have decided not to develop high BP because of them.
    Nothing they do or say surprises me. I long gave up on this contraption called Nigeria.

16. shollz

December 4, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I actually not the trype that just drops comment,i often prefer to read, laugh, digest and wonder, but i cant help but comment about this jokers in the house that call themselves senators, if for something as saying the truth you would get jailed for seven years , i think they should be jailed for life for being liars, theives,and the jokers they are, of all the issues we have at hand see what matters to the, no one needs to incite anyone against them , they are already well known fools, i so feel for them cos one day bush meet go catch the hunter for real.

17. lakelizzy

December 4, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I thought we’ve passed this stage years back. Nawah o ..

18. Carlifornibawlar

December 4, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Stupidity and joblessness gbaaaa!! They have not done anything with boko haram…its online critics they are addressing…..msscheww!! Just adding vexation to my already one kain morning!

19. mama mia!!!

December 4, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Mtcheew, God will surely show himself soon! How can you tie down a country you do not own? Is the Senate Abacha? So, that was why they intended on killing elrufai… God is never asleep!!!

20. Afrik Lounge Show

December 4, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Interesting!!

21. Fancy Babe

December 4, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Absolutely disgusting. I mean…. what sort of power drunkeness is this?
    What a country. Smh.

22. jcsgrl

December 4, 2013 at 5:10 pm

How about every single nigerian on twitter and fb take to their pages and lambast them one by one. Let me see where they will come and catch all of us. Aint no amount of threat from these bafoons can keep us away from their ashy asses!!! Mcheeeww

23. Product of public Education

December 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Ribena Abatin and Reno Okwra really……I trust una. Mr presido will veto the bill cough! Cough!!

24. Miss_Flygerian

December 4, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Are those idiots joking or what? Well, they can start by sentencing that lap dog with mouth diarrhea called Reuben Abati.

25. koks

December 4, 2013 at 9:06 pm

We should jail them for wasting the peoples money

26. ao

December 4, 2013 at 9:41 pm

What does one expect from those that passed a bill allowing grown men to marry little girls. This so-called senate is composed of illiterates.

27. laureen

December 4, 2013 at 9:59 pm

They must be sipping from the same STUPID juice…me ebot useme

28. Kenny

December 4, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I see people commenting and saying God will do something. It is up to Nigerians to start taking action and making things better. All this talk about God and complaining about the leaders isn’t going to fix anything. Start working together for the betterment of the people.

29. Kenny

December 4, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I’m not saying that God doesn’t answer prayers. But it’s about prime time people start working together to take action.

30. nene

December 4, 2013 at 11:31 pm

see these idiots. these senators are soo useless. why don’t they start with a death sentence for any govt official who embezzles federal funds. may God judge them. animals!

31. oyin

December 5, 2013 at 1:08 am

This better be a joke. So, Nigeria is a communist or is it dictatorship country. I pray, the God of the bible will pass judgement on each one of these old stupid morons who want to turn the country into shambles. For them to gather together on such bill, it says that they want to continue their corruption. Nigerians don’t speak up enough against the evil, lawless leaders they have and now they want to shut them up more. No way,!is this going to happen. I’m waiting for these wicked to die one by one.

32. KOOL OLA

December 5, 2013 at 1:19 am

This stupid bill not scale through by God grace. They did not pass d bill to build good hospital, good schools, good roads. they will not pass d bill to improve security of live and properties. No bill to create jobs, renovate and build a better infrastructure, science and technology. What a failed government! The only thing (freedom of speech) Nigerians have left will now be taken away? This is so sad…really sad indeed!!

33. Canadathingz

December 5, 2013 at 2:39 am

34. NNENNE

December 5, 2013 at 2:40 am

K!

35. Canadathingz

December 5, 2013 at 2:45 am

We will criticize from Canada.. Which kin jail term. Is it not a free world again? I can’t believe what is really worry them. With the lack of power and jobs in that country. Nonsense. What happened to democracy? Are we in a dictatorship

36. eni

December 5, 2013 at 7:22 am

Dis is funny n not funny….who tot of dis? We need 2 test mental capacity. Of those who represent us…

37. Gabriel Shaze ™

December 5, 2013 at 11:07 am

Smh. Ish just got real. Dont we have more pressing issues to deal with?