News

Nollywood Director Charles Novia names the Best 5 Nollywood Actors of 2013

BellaNaija.com

OC Ukeje - December 2013 - BellaNaija

And it is here.

Last week, Nollywood director/producer Charles Novia released his list of the “Best 5 Nollywood Actress of 2013” (click here to read), now he has presented us with the “Best 5 Nollywood Actors of 2013″.

OC Ukeje, who stars in Charles Novia’s latest movie Alan Poza tops the list. Ramsey Nouah and Odunlade Adekola also make the list, but the surprising names on the list include comedians Bovi and Seyi Law.

Check it out!

1. OC Ukeje

“No apologies to anyone. My Number One Actor for 2013 would be OC Ukeje. In arriving at this conclusion, I had the uncomfortable task of distancing his acting in my movie “Alan Poza” from the list of other movies he was assessed with. But one cannot ignore that in 2013 alone, OC has won the “Best Actor” diadem FOUR TIMES at the AMVCA, NEA, BON and NMA awards. He has also been nominated for ‘ Best Actor’ a record EIGHT TIMES in a single year. Now, that is enough to make heads turn and so they should. This is a feat even the older acts in Nollywood cannot boast of.

Watching OC Ukeje in three movies in the past year was a stunning experience. Since 2006 when OC won the top prize in the “Amstel Malta Box Office” (AMBO), the young man had been relatively quiet and picky with his scripts, preferring to feature more in stage productions and promising scripts. That sense of purpose paid off in the long run. Like the Bible says, you can’t hide a light under a bushel. OC’s illumination in the acting space can be seen in “Confusion Na Wa”, “The Awakening” and “Hoodrush”. In these movies, the power of his art can be seen. He has an unusual intensity as an actor and a peculiar propensity to project his characterisation which would leave many with gaping mouths.

This young man has a lot to give to us in the nearest future. All we have to do is to receive.”

Ramsey Nouah - December 2013 - BellaNaija

2. Ramsey Nouah

“It was tough putting Ramsey in the Number 2 spot because he is a damned good actor. Very good. Having worked with him in eight of my movies in the past, I know his abilities but I am yet to know his acting limitations. Over the years, Ramsey has explored his inner depths as an actor and tries to push the envelope. He comes across as one who takes his roles seriously and so he should.”

Odunlade Adekola - December 2013 - BellaNaija

3. Odunlade Adekola

“I don’t judge actors on whether they are in Nollywood or in “Yoruwood” or any other ethnic coinage. There are certain qualities an actor in any category of the industry must have in assessing him. Personally, I think the Yoruba movies as well as the other ethnic movies have an advantage over the English movies in the areas of acting because the acting comes naturally to them unlike the English movies where more is needed to compete with the global parameters.”

BN-Red-Carpet-Fab-2013-AFRIFF-Gala-Night-November-2013-BellaNaija-079-400x600

4. Blossom Chuks Chukwujekwu

“Somehow, in 2013, Blossom came into the scene and perhaps asserted himself as one we all must take notice of. I watched him in ‘Flower Girl’ in February 2013 at the cinemas and apart from an obvious on-screen charm, I could see that the young man put in a lot of work in his role. There was a certain energy he exuded in that movie which wasn’t lost on many. He isn’t just good looks.”

Bovi

5. Seyi Law, Bovi Ugboma & Kelechi Udegbe

“Bovi Ugboma is a popular and lovable stand-up comic who has a television series, “The Bovi Ugboma Show”. His body of work in 2013 is quite impressive and amongst many of such, I particularly judged him on the Rhythm Unplugged promo currently shown on Silverbird Television.”

Seyi Law - August 2013 - BellaNaija

“Seyi Law, though known as a stand-up comic, moved steps furthed in 2013 with some commendable acting in the the ‘Orijin in Ibadan’ sketch on youtube. Seyi was adept as the effusive and garulous Yoruba mogul who gets more than he bargained for in a restaurant.”

Kelechi Udegbe - December 2013 - BellaNaija

“Kelechi Udegbe, may not be well known to many of you. In fact, I never knew him from Adam before I stumbled on his comedy skit on youtube and I was completely blown away. His role as the corrupt Officer Titus, a parody of some of our staple traffic enforcement officers, is as funny as it is as formidable.”

To read the full review, click here

1. NC

December 10, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Picture for OC Ukeje culled from the new edition of ‘the nubian”. Read the interview and other articles here: nubiancloset.com/nov1
    Well done OC!

• JACKIE

December 11, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Will he qualify as 1 of the 5 TOP PRODUCERS?

2. Busarni

December 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm

yimu, charles abeg rest. Ramsey i know but the rest ……

3. Genny's # 1 Fan!!!!

December 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Frank Donga nko? Since Seyi Law qualifies…

• ccc

December 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Exactly!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 10, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Gbam! Abeg somebori needs to give that Frank his own show, I’m missing his skits already…

4. Miss_Flygerian

December 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm

OC Ukeje…frosh!!!

5. Felinda1

December 10, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Seems to me when it comes to vest actors for 2013, Novia really struggled really hard to come up with a list cos frankly there arent any (I am only referring to English movies). For nollywood great english actors they are always few and far between. Ramsey is good but mr novia, name which movie in 2013 u are referring to that he did great, and please dont say weekend getaway cos that will just piss me off. That movie was just rubbish and highly overrated. Only a blind bat will say it was good. OC is good but definitely definitely far far from great. We telling the world this is THE BEST WR GOT IN A COUNTRY AS LARGE AS NIGERIA, This is extremely sad, very very sad. In the whole nollywood, my only top 3 I describe as great and worth watching is veterans like RMD, ZACH ORJI, and younger ones like Jim Iyke. Thats it. Every one else is struggling hard

• I Rock

December 10, 2013 at 6:43 pm

You are right about Jim Iyke, I may not like his antics in
      the media but he is a damn good actor. If you really wanna see his
      acting prowess, check him out in “non-rich boy/non-bad
      boy/non-American returnee” roles.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 10, 2013 at 7:19 pm

*chewing plantain chips as I’m pondering* Was Ramsey in that “Weekend Getaway” of a movie? I’m seriously trying to remember what his role was… which means it was very forgettable, which is a problem since I clearly remember the characters Uti & Alex played… Ramsey should maybe start screening his scripts in 2014.

• Lizzie

December 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Lol, he was the philandering doctor who later proposed to
      his best friend. Took me a while to remember too, the entire movie
      was forgettable.

• D'Mamma

December 10, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Blame it on the movie not on the actors coz the whole movie was just a hot mess!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 11, 2013 at 11:52 am

@ Lizzie, thanks for the prompt. I remember now, he played
      Uru Eke’s love interest (& I also forgot she was in that
      movie. Not good) @D’Mamma, the movie was complete rubbish, agreed.
      However, Ramsey is held up to a higher standard because he’s an
      A-list actor. Good actors should avoid bad scripts or else it could
      hurt their brand. And this criticism is not specific to Nollywood,
      I’m still mad at Brad Pitt for making me think “The Counselor”
      would be a good movie to watch (it wasn’t, I walked out before
      Cameron Diaz could destroy my psyche by having sex with that car
      windscreen… don’t ask)

• nene

December 10, 2013 at 8:37 pm

gbam!

6. Obiz

December 10, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Rita Dominic was right. Charles Novia needs to go drown
    himself. OC that’s alright, Ramsey and the Yoruba actor abeg who
    are the rest?

7. Madman

December 10, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Odunlade is a GENIUS. Brilliant actor. Brilliant.

• xoxo

December 10, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I agree with you, Odunlade is a fantastic actor

• kind anon

December 10, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I agree

• Person

December 11, 2013 at 9:51 am

He is a GENIUS. Like I can’t. love him!

• Ewi

December 11, 2013 at 11:49 am

I so agree with you,He’s the reason why I watch yoruba films.

8. Gistyinka Blog

December 10, 2013 at 6:18 pm

For putting Odulade Adekola, in your this time around,
    Kudos Bosa..

9. gbemisola

December 10, 2013 at 6:52 pm

no need to say , its just the opinion of ONE MAN,anyone can
    come up with his or her own top 3 ,10 or 50

10. lyn

December 10, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I agree with Novia, the comedians are better actors than the actors themselves and it’s about time someone give them the recognition. OC deserves that #1 spot. Ramsey…hmm…jury’s still out on that. I don’t find him that good an actor. he’s on the same plane as Genevieve but he has more variety

11. Leye

December 10, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Who are these no names (except Ramsey Nouah).

12. Emy

December 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Hmm! I rarely watch nollywood movies so i cnt really say.
    For me Bovi is very ok. Before he started as a full time comedian,
    he already started acting in ‘Extended Family’. He acts very well.
    That one charles try bt Ramsey in Weekend Getaway? Hell no! I
    manage watch d film reach half i sleep. Ramsey shd go to d museum
    already! The rest, i nor kno.

13. Naveah

December 10, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Guys, everybody has their list of favorites. It would be
    hard to find 5 people who will come up with the exact same list of
    favorite actors, actresses, songs, food etc. Instead of virtually
    fighting Mr. Novia about his PERSONAL LIST of favorites, go and
    look at the films of the actors he has mentioned that you don’t
    know about to see WHY he picked them which would give you a better
    understanding of his choice. Ramsey Tokunbo Nouah has NOT been good
    in a long time, he like Genevieve started buying the hype himself
    and his ability. He refuses to grow as an actor and wants to
    persistently play posh boys with BritAmerican accents even when the
    role calls for Agege bread eating Ajegunle gra-gra. I have only
    seen OC Ukeje in one movie and that was Water Falls (2007), I
    thought he was good and held his own against Rita Dominic and Joke
    Silva. I know Seyi and Bovi to be comedians, IF his choice of those
    two is based on their comedic talents then it isn’t fair. In
    comedies, they are simply playing themselves. I want to see them do
    a dramatic scene then we go see wetin dem dey carry come. I would
    need to see them do a Jim Carey/Jamie Foxx/Eddie Murphy type
    transformation. I don’t watch Yoruba films so I can’t speak for the
    other actor.

• anonymous

June 18, 2014 at 3:28 am

@ Naveah, I totally agree with you. People don’t know how good an actor Oc Ukeje is. He knows how to apply himself in whatever role he plays and that is what makes him very impressive. I also agree with Blossom chukwujekwu though he is relatively new, the few movies I have seen him in, I was impressed unlike the list of “fine boiz without talent” they are shoving down our throats. No need to call names cos we all know them. I advice people watch these two guys. Another actress that we should all watch out for is the upcoming Adesuwa Etomi, she is gradually winning my hear.

14. Chei

December 10, 2013 at 9:00 pm

i bet Uti and Alex are reading this wondering why their name were not mention. I literally cringed watching Uti as well as Alex and Chinchinga in Weekend Getaway. There are some acting which makes you want to go hide under a bed considering these people are a representation of your country. Cringe worthy acting performance. Chei.

For Your information, Fine boy no pimples dont equal to the fact that you can act, i see a lot of nollywood gals and guys always think they can get away with it. and honestly some times they do because of the mumu eyes village champion fans with bad taste who praise them.

Upgrade yall quality joh, stop praising mediocrity. This should be the new movement 2014. #No more mediocrity. We are suffocating ohhh, chei. Personally i do not have a favourite actor in Nollywood, none whatsoever, the actresses a handful (and i do mean handful, which is 5 or less) are good but the actors, HELL NO!! allllllll mediocre

15. Donald-Landon

December 10, 2013 at 9:02 pm

As far as acting goes — I personally think the Ethnic/Traditional Movie actors do a far better job than the English ones. Their acting comes out so natural. There is no fakeness, denseness, or gra gra like you see in the English ones. Just watch any Yoruba, Ibo or Edo movies and you would see what I am talking about. I have even added twi movies to my collection because the English Ghanaian movies are not any different. There is nothing spectacular or exceptional about the English Nigerian or Ghanaian movies churned out lately. It’s the same old gra gra acting and repeated lame story lines. The older generation English Nigerian actors continue to do a far better job than the younger generation. Back in the days I used to be able to watch an RMD movie over and over again but lately I can’t manage to watch 1. The younger generation let little fame and past glory get to their head to the point of not seeing the need to continually improve themselves.

16. Chei

December 10, 2013 at 9:04 pm

there is a lot of yorubas on the list so maybe i should now start watching those, maybe i am missing out. I have never watch any but i guess i will now, if only it is subtitled since I am igbo so i dont understand yoruba. Some one give me some good yoruba titles so me too i can search on line to watch too (please recommend subtitle ones only)

17. isaiditmyopnion

December 10, 2013 at 9:27 pm

i am nt a niger peson bt i watch a lota them movies and i have to say you have a lot of talented pipo ,Ramsey is a very good actor and i wounder why pipo do not like to give honor wher its due i have owez loved how he looks very high class in terms of physical appearance but put him a village role he drops it and translates the role very well even to the extent of speaking that niger kinda english because i have heard him speak his english is very clean and over the years i have seen him play a whole range of different roles ….before nigerian movies were popular that guy was there and i think he has contributed a lot in the growth of nollywood its good to have new faces but that doesnt mean we forget the ones that once upon a time kept us glued to our screens am not looking at his 2013 performances which is what this is about but basing on some of the comments posted here. i think over the years he has grown as an actor ans should be a name to mention when it comes to nollywood…………am just saying

• Akos

December 11, 2013 at 4:00 am

i cringe when i see adults write like you have. Like seriously, you can not spell at all? Cant understand anything you wrote. WTF is pipo?

18. isaiditmyopnion

December 10, 2013 at 9:29 pm

i think it shud ne naija…..opps my bad NAIJA

19. Emeka

December 10, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Mr Charles abeg awards dont mean a damn thing in nollywood, most of the awards shows are absolutely useless considering the kind of people and movies they award, so if you want to praise OC just praise him and stop using his awards as some bragging, As some one said, yes OC is good, just good – i rate him a “B'” for performance, he is no “A” nor B+. Apart from Ramsey i dont really know the rest on the list.

20. trufactoid

December 11, 2013 at 5:22 am

LeLe Why you people take this failed director seriously. Charles Novia is a complete moron especially since I had to pay money to watch Alan Poza the most useless Nollywood film I have seen in 2 years. Anybody that can serve up that film to the public does not qualify to say piiim bout movies HOHA. Bella Naija please post

21. Modella

December 11, 2013 at 8:14 am

My top five actor..Pete Edochie,Sam Loco,Ramsey,Jim iyke and one slim guy who always play the role of being drunk/Klint da drunk!

• ms lala

December 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

thats your top five…really..Pa Esiri, Enebeli Elebuwa, Kenneth Okonkwo circa 90’s,Olu Jacobs, Chiwetalu Agu, Saint Obi (blushes aint great but he’s better than the new bunch) Keppy Ekpeyong, Nobert Young, Francis Agu, Francis Duru, Charles Okafor (can cry lol but he was good damn it) RMD, SOLA FOSODU FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WAS A GIFT TO US….the list..hell any actor was the 80’s 90’s was in my top book. Ramsey should’nt be called in any top five of anything..his accent always confuses me..your an armed robbery with american/british accent chooooi na so dey dey take rob person.. Jim Iyke can crack you up but i wanna see more. UTI AND ALEX shud stick to modeling be seen and not heard.

22. ms lala

December 11, 2013 at 10:38 am

from the 80’s*

23. merci

December 11, 2013 at 10:55 am

nobody mentioned Desmond Elliot or Benjamin Joseph they are both good actors too.

• Naomi

December 11, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Yep! I agree with you on Desmond Elliot, I don’t really feel he’s presentation, but he’s one of the good actors we’ve got…

• anonymous

June 18, 2014 at 3:33 am

umm am sorry oh, I know it’s your opinion but are you joking..Joseph Benjamin KE!!! The day Joseph benjamin delivers in a movie the trumpet would blow and our Lord would come again the 2nd time.. Like seriously, the guy couldn’t act even if he had assassins holding a gun to his head and begging him to act well to save his family. They would murder them all. That is how horrible an actor he is. He reminds me of stage “DRAMA” not even worthy to be called “PLAYS” in my primary school. Example of the “Fine face without talent” we are suffering in the country

24. DAMMY

December 11, 2013 at 10:55 am

Thanks for including Adekola Odunlade…dat guy is crazy

25. Elle

December 11, 2013 at 11:42 am

Nkem Owoh is hilarious, surprised no one mentioned him. Ramsey Noah? Big no. A scene he did in Emotional Crack has stuck ever since…and not for a good reason. Not sure who he was accusing in the scene, Dakore or Stephanie; he said ‘I trusted you WITH my life’. Not of fan of his accent too. He like Stephanie Okereke Linus don’t know when and how to use dental sounds (th). It’s confusing and very embarrassing to hear them speak.

26. myopnion

December 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm

my Good God, is it english tha his peoples problem or what?
    the subject reads Best Actors in 2013, how manuy movies has
    Enebeli, Esiri, Jim, RMD, Zack Orji featured in this year? simple
    English Friends Best actors in 2013

• ms lala

December 11, 2013 at 12:58 pm

THEY ARE’NT ANY AND SO THEREFORE WE RECALL THE GOOD ACTORS THAT HAVE BEEN GOOD THROUGH THE DECADES…PERIOD….go kiss a naked wire

27. Chum chum

December 11, 2013 at 1:34 pm

O C Ukeje yes but this other people, i don’t know.

28. Bimbom

December 11, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Me, I enjoyed Weekend Getaway. It wasn’t the best but it was better than a lot I used my hard earned money to see. Not every movie shld be abt VVF abeg or one African cringing poverty> Ramsey didn’t do much but he’s a great actor. If Charles Novia thinks that winning awards in Nollywood is a yardstick, then he needs a head check IMO, they shld stop nominating OC so he can get better, all these awards my even be working against him. He is okay but that’s all. I won’t watch a movie just cos of him. He needs to up his game abeg. Wait, did I just reply to a Charles Novia post, then I too, need help. The cinemas owe me a refund for Alan poza. Charles would do well to go learn how to make movies instead of yarning dust all over the place.

29. wunmi

December 11, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Thanks @ isaiditmyopnion, I agree with you that Ramsey has done his bit in the movie industry & and should be acknowledged. He is a Great actor and he has grown in his skills. It breaks my heart to read the negative comments about him. Also I think there’s no need for rude remarks about Mr. Novia: these are “HIS” best 2013 actors and he is entitled to his opinion. He hasn’t written on behalf of any body or association. so why the badmouthing. I also think that Desmond Elliot and Joseph Benjamin are good actors. I don’t think Uti & Alex Ekubo are that bad. maybe they need some polishing but they are not altogether terrible. We should encourage constructive criticism yes not sugar coat but be gentle in our assessment.

30. jinkelele

December 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Some these nominations were alright but charles should have put the movies for them all. Chuks and OC at least the movies are there but Charles you for mention the movie for Odunlade(who is a great actor though) as well as Kelechi Udegbe nah cos d guy dey act wella for tv series for years. At least that way we can all appreciate their works

31. Modella

December 12, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Ooops,I meant Ukwa not Samloco,both are good anyway!

32. navida

December 14, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Looooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Ramsey to death. Wonder why he’s in the same category with those …I guess others. Thought he was bigger than that. Ramsey I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!