News

Klassy Kinks: Why #TeamNatural is Necessary in Nigeria

Klassy Kinks - Bellanaija - January 2014003
I had just returned from a three week visit to Nigeria, spending most of my time in Umuahia, and the rest in Lagos, Nigeria and had a chance to meet a few naturals at an event in Victoria Island, sponsored by The Kinky Apothecary. It wasn’t my first time in Nigeria since I’d stopped relaxing my hair, but my hair was now significantly longer than the mini fro it had previously been; which could have (and was) more or less dismissed as a grown out version of the low cut that many Nigerian girls wear to school. In fact, it was so large – partly due to length, my preferred styling and to the humidity – that my hair stood out among the sea of braids, weaves and straight hairstyles adorned by my fellow countrywomen.

After the event and visiting Bellanaija.com, I was surprised that they had few articles specifically related to natural hair. But what surprised me even more was that the commentary on some of the articles were all quite negative.

Here’s a quick summary of one of the comments;

Btw dis #TeamNatural tag is foolish. This term natural hair annoys me. This whole “going natural” movement gets really annoying when its forced down people’s throats. The so called sister movement can stop! I don’t get the natural nazi’s at all.”

Ah ah?! How is natural hair being forced down your throat? How is the #TeamNatural any different than any other hashtag, such as #TeamOrobo, #TeamD’banj, or #TeamEgusi? How is the proliferation of articles on natural hair in recent years any different from the increased number of articles on reality TV or the African brain drain? What makes you automatically assume that women with natural hair do not wear weaves and go out their way to preach against relaxers like church vans equipped with megaphones at 4AM? More importantly, how can the mere existence of the maximum 10% of adult women who wear their kinky hair while parading the streets in Nigeria now be vexing you? Abeg, my relaxed and weaved sisters, who is oppressing you? Does your grandmother tell you that your hairstyle – which you spent a lot of time to do – makes you look like an onye ara (a mad person)? Does the woman who you are paying 3,000 Naira to braid or fix your hair ask you every 10 minutes why you’ve chosen to wear your hair the way you do? When you go to the market, can you feel curious eyes on your back as you pass by the stands? Do you have to mix things up in your kitchen because you cannot find hair products that work for your hair? Are you reminded by concerned aunts, cousins, and “friends” that men like long, straight hair, and that you are blocking God’s blessing of a husband for you?

I think not.

The #TeamNatural conversation is necessary in Nigeria because there is little space outside of the internet for women who choose to wear their hair in its kinky state to feel comfortable. Yes, at the present it is a movement because it is so new, but it is not a fad, and some of us have made this a lifestyle choice. We are often scrutinized by our families, our “friends”, our places of work, and most of all the standards of Nigerian society for our hair choices. Thus, we have to turn to each other for information, advice and support, and the internet is the best, if not only option that we currently have. Don’t try to take that away from us.

If the “anti-natural” argument was that there is now increased attention to educating women on natural hair care, without equal information on proper relaxed or weave hair care, then yes I agree, you should feel left out of the party. But instead of attacking us in the only space where we can speak without judgment, please direct your energy elsewhere – maybe by writing your own article on how to moisturize your hair underneath your weave and throwing in a #TeamFabulousWeave. I’d actually like to know, since I’m planning on getting one in a few months.

Now, before you discredit me as being unable to comment on the state of natural hair in Nigeria, simply because I’m an “Americanah”, let me assure you that I am very much a Naija babe. I was born in Port Harcourt, I speak and understand Igbo, and I can make eba and soup. More importantly, I am qualified to talk about natural hair in Nigeria as an “outsider” specifically for that reason – I’ve seen the different ways natural hair is discussed, viewed and accepted in the United States. Conversations about the “divisiveness” of natural vs. relaxed hair are very few and far between. In fact, the willingness of those with relaxed hair to read natural hair articles with an open mind have led to some women opting to use more “natural-hair friendly” products on their relaxed hair, such as coconut oil, which has led to overall healthier hair for all parties involved. Likewise, there is a growing excitement about the rise of weaves that resemble kinkier hair textures, so the idea that naturals are anti-weave is unfounded. We can all learn from each other.

I have been a proud member of #TeamNatural for almost 4 years. I also straighten my hair once a year. I’ve worn wigs and gotten waist length braids, and I color it whenever my heart desires. Most of us naturals – even hair bloggers like myself – could care less what anyone chooses to do with their hair. I don’t attack or even question your freedom to express yourself through your hair; so please don’t attack mine.
___________________________________________________________________________
Ijeoma Eboh is the Founder and Editor of www.Klassy-Kinks.com. She is on a mission to change the perceptions of kinky textured hair around the world. You can find her  on social media: Twitter: @klassykinks | Instagram: @klassykinks | Youtube: ije1023

1. Tish

January 20, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Okayyyyy!

2. damndi

January 20, 2014 at 4:05 pm

hmm… nice article for discussion. For me this whole team natural thing is becoming too much.. i went natural hair because i hated the way my re;axed hair, damaged and all that.. and now 2 Years natural. whilst i love my new natural hair.. sometimes i have a love-hate relationship with my hair(misses my relaxed straight hair)… what i am trying to say is that, people have started carrying this natural hair thing on their head like, if you are not natural then you aint cool or the “i went natural before you” or trying to make people who have decided not have it natural as outcasts.. its becoming annoying.. i think the main message should be about HEALTHY hair… i have friends and have seen people with healthy relaxed hair. I mean just because you are natural does not automatically mean good hair or vice versa.. just take care of your hair relaxed or natural…I know plenty naija girls may be addicted to fixing Brazilian hair without letting the hair breathe.. people should learn to accepts their hair “whether its in a relaxed or natural state and also accept peoples hair decisions.. from the relaxed people, dont be like “babes this your hair is bad oh–wetin be this” and naturalistas shouldn’t be like “hmm shes not natural so shes not cool or her hair is bad”.. to each their own sha…

• Nadz

January 20, 2014 at 7:30 pm

wow, I have never heard of that ‘I went natural before you’ everyone was born with natural hair so I think that’s quite silly for people to say :s

• Tamar

January 20, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Natural hair can be unhealthy if not looked after. But
      relaxed hair is unhealthy.

• lollyb

January 21, 2014 at 5:43 pm

my hair is natural. i cut my relaxed hair because it didnt look good. next thing i hear its “in vogue”. Nonsense. I dont belong to team natural, i just have hair on my head, I will put chemical on it if i feel like. Rubbish!!

• NeverBald

January 21, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Actually my RELAXED tresses are mid-back length and healthier than an organic vegan dinner. #girlbye

3. Nuna

January 20, 2014 at 4:06 pm

OMG are we doing this again?? smh

• Mzlyrics

January 20, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Exactly my thoughts when I saw this! A whole article
      dedicated to this hair matter again! Trust BN to sha want to press
      our buttons! I sense a truckload of comments soon. BN biko stop
      adding fuel to this already sensitive issue! It amazes me the way
      we girls are prone to make a mountain out of a molehill! We always
      have to be in some form of competition and put each other down
      whilst hiding behind hashtags!!! Let it rest already jor!

• Ib

January 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm

My dear….here we go again….sigh

• Jo!

January 20, 2014 at 6:37 pm

As in! ENough already

4. bNigerian

January 20, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Not again! Please let’s let it rest. BN, all this for traffic? Really? That’s how I see it, no offence.*sigh*

• Ib

January 20, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I know right? The things BN does for traffic.hmmm,
      hopefully, no Toke story anytime soon.

5. navida

January 20, 2014 at 4:14 pm

God I hate it when Nigerians choose to discuss issues that are literally and logically extremely stupid. What is team natural is necessary in Nigeria. I’m 17 and in primary school some of my friends had natural hair and that was like late 90’s and early 2000’s. I’m in my fourth year in med.school now and this issue is killing people. Seriously? Nigerians….The way you choose to wear your hair is your biz. Those who wear red, green and blonde is their biz. Those who wear afro, silky straight,…is their biz. BN you guys need more logical thinkers as reporters as to know what to report and what not.

• idoublecrossmyheart

January 20, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Logical is relative….you are not the only one BN caters to so logically choose the articles you want to read or not read on BN….na force?

• navida

January 20, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Did I ever say I was the only one BN caters to or are you one of BN’s reporters or one of those that go about ranting natural this and that? So logically pick your replies. Besides the term logical is relative is not brilliant at all; do your research.

• Newbie

January 20, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Excuse me miss, did you say you were 17 and in your 4th year of Med school – meaning you got in at 13-14? Extremely impressive.

• navida

January 20, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Yes, thank you.

• Ready

January 21, 2014 at 5:01 pm

@Navida, med school in Ukraine or Cyprus?

• Tamar

January 20, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Lol. Your response appears to be a typical, run of the mill diluted answer. If you did your research,you’d know hair is a HUGE issue. #byefelicia

• Omalicha

January 21, 2014 at 4:51 pm

U’re 17 in 4th yr med school?Do u mind me asking which med school this is? I find this very hard to believe especially if you are in the US/UK because u have to fulfill a 2-4yr pre-med prerequisite. Are u saying u started pre-med at 10 yrs old? Even if u somehow skipped pre-med are u saying u started high school/secondary school at 8 yrs old?? Where they do that at biko?

• Errr

January 22, 2014 at 9:29 am

Navida please reply o. Me sef I dey wait… 4th yr in med school @ 17? O_o

• Blessmyheart

January 22, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I just thought I should mention that I actually got into secondary at 8 in Nigeria. It happens

• Blessmyheart

January 22, 2014 at 4:26 pm

It’s possible, I mean.

• Blessmyheart

January 22, 2014 at 4:38 pm

It’s possible, I mean. Especially if she’s in a private university in Nigeria with no delays.

• navida

January 24, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Everyone knows in naija there is no age barrier especially when it comes to entering sec. school the only thing is you need to pass major exams. I’m not the only one three of my friends as at when I was in sec.school were within 12-13 (hey girls in case they are here) in SS3 . By now one of them should have graduated if actually law or accounting is four years I don’t know. So yes it is possible and right now in my school there is a boy that’s twelve in 2nd year. And we all know how that is everyone will be looking at you and asking you if you don’t want to see your mom and dad. Not until you pass into the next year. At least that’s what they asked me in my first year and part of my second. So yes it is possible.

6. Tokunbo

January 20, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I often wonder what the beef is about going Natural? Its not a cult of sorts everyone has a reason for going natural, personally my natural journey happened after a bad colour job left my hair falling out like i had caught something. I went for the BIG CHOP 6mths later and haven’t looked back. On my recent trip to the USA i went wild in a hair shop in Santa Monica, i was like a kid in a candy store. Buying products for natural hair is fun, there are books and other resources. Yes some people may say: abeg that’s too much work on hair jare. But it’s worth especially in Nigeria with our weather which makes everything dry and brittle.You can keep you hair moist and looking healthy. Remember, when we used to look at black American kids and wonder: Aren’t they as black as i am? why wont my hair curl like this? THAT MYTH is broken we can also enjoy healthy NATURAL hair in NIGERIA. pls follow @penndpaper i have questions to ask you.

7. Tokunbo

January 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm

@damndi you don’t have to join any #teamnatural union, group, body or cult. That to me, just puts pressure on you. enjoy your hair, fix your weaves if you want, carry dreads etc. hair is hair natural or relaxed just keep it healthy. shikena

• Mzlyrics

January 20, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Thank you Tokunbo! “Hair is hair, natural or relaxed. Just
      keep it healthy” and I would add “If you like don’t keep it healthy
      sef, daris your own”!

8. darkchildlovethyhair

January 20, 2014 at 4:21 pm

There is space for everyone on this planet, do what suits you but dont put others down.Naturals and non naturals this cut both ways. Be happy as you are.

9. She formerly known as Knut

January 20, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I know this babe, she went to Harvard. Pretty girl

• Ijeoma Eboh

January 21, 2014 at 12:10 am

Lol sorta cryptic but how do you know me? Thank you though!

• She formerly known as Knut

January 26, 2014 at 4:09 am

Pentecostal Tabernacle 😉

10. nana

January 20, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Ugh. Lord. To each man his own please. We get it already. Biko its okay. The #teamnatural hair thing is getting bothersome. And yes im a #teamnaturalhair sister but it just seems like everywhere you turn, the movement is there defending their cause and practically putting it in everyone’s face. It should not be that way.
    I get the whole thing but can we calm down already? Like a bn reader rightfully said, what matters is keeping your hair healthy and good looking. If weaves makes you confident, and attractive, then go for it and vice-versa. This topic is becoming old already. Keep it moving.

11. Miss d

January 20, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Who cares?! Going natural isnt a movement its just a choice to heow healthy hair free of relaxer just the same way people decide to live healthy and eat various healthy diets

12. ContessaVlad

January 20, 2014 at 4:44 pm

E don do na! Why is it necessary? So when you had relaxed hair you did not have ‘konfidence’ ‘kharisma’ and ‘kourage’? abeg go sidon. It’s just a trend like one million braids, then chinese weaves and brazilian weaves. How about my natural haired bleached up neighbour? Where on the natural spectrum do I place her or my relaxed hair dark skinned sister? One thing is common to them, they are beautiful women who have decided to live their lives and they deem fit! Abeg BN do a post on the 65 y/o man who married a 15 y/o girl in SA jor. Me I want to discuss that one cos it’s paining me that a pedophile is allowed to roam free amongst we humans while two consenting adults are jailed 15 years for nacking. Thanks in advance.

• ContessaVlad

January 20, 2014 at 4:45 pm

sorry 14 years

13. eve

January 20, 2014 at 4:54 pm

sigh

14. Iris

January 20, 2014 at 5:00 pm

This comment is to the writer. I agree that the increased love for natural hair is a good thing because people have begun to appreciate their own. However, there is something elitist (for lack of a better word) that is happening with SOME natural hair carriers. Almost all my close friends have gone natural and I’m happy for them. Thankfully they do not force it down my throat but others do! I constantly hear things like “you are ashamed of your heritage if your hair is not natural.” When they say that, it is natural to assume that they do not plan on wearing weaves over their natural hair, so when I see girls that do I judge them sharply. If you can judge my relaxed hair I can sure as hell judge your weave. I also know a few people who went natural to grow their hair and kept shouting “team natural baby”. Then when it got long enough they suddenly “couldn’t manage it” and relaxed it (facebook status:” finally surrendered to creamy crack” mtchew). I feel like it has become an obsession for some people and they don’t even realise it. A friend of mine talked someone she knew who said the tap water was too hard on her natural hair so she used bottled water to wash it. Hopefully this chick is an extreme case. If the same amount of time and terminology spent on natural hair with all your fancy terms like “co-wash” and “TWO” (teeny weeny fro) was spent on things like makeup and skin and weaves, all of those people would be called shallow or materialistic. At the end of the day, it’s just hair. If it looks like people are hating on people with natural hair online, it’s probably because of all the annoying stuff regarding people with natural hair that happens OFFLINE.

• Ijeoma Eboh

January 21, 2014 at 12:07 am

Thanks for your comment. I agree that some naturals are too serious with the whole thing, but I don’t think it is any different from weave wearers who judge others (or each other) because someone doesn’t spend 10,000N on hair. In general, I feel like the percentage of annoying naturals is dwarfed by the percentage of comments that we regularly get about our hair. But more importantly, what happens offline should not dictate what happens online, and the point of my article is that we should be allowed to freely discuss our hair online without being attacked, because this is the only space we have.

15. nene

January 20, 2014 at 5:33 pm

lol. argument because of hair. going natural is not for me.
    been there, done that. my natural hair started breaking after 3
    years, and by the fourth year my 12 inch hair (which grows
    extremely slow by the way) became seven inches long, and 3 inches
    in some parts!. you can imagine my anger. blending my natural hair
    with a weave in this lagos heat, leaves me looking like a mad woman
    when it frizzes up, so i went back to my dear friend, the
    relaxer.

• lollyb

January 21, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Good bless you.

16. chi-e-z

January 20, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I don’t know why blacks hate their hair,their complexion,
    their culture. I can’t stand that at young I thought I had to
    actively tell myself I am beautiful everyday because I heard that
    light skin girl with oyinbo hair look so beautiful from my own dad
    and friends.It’s not even like I was hideous cause guys always
    checked for me (funny enough light-skinned guys more often).
    Everyone is beautiful and I guess we all crave what we don’t have
    but I’ve won my battle and I know no amount of physical appearance
    replaces a great character.

17. Newbie

January 20, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Yawn…..I predict that BN will feature like 10 more
    ‘Natural Hair’ articles, and then it will finally rest. And then we
    can settle right back into our favourite topic – finding and
    keeping a man, wedding this and that…oh wait, that somehow finds
    its way into the hair topics, doesn’t it? Okay then, carry go!
    Somebody should wake me when y’all are done.

18. Meanwhile...

January 20, 2014 at 6:18 pm

All of I have to say is… K! We haff hear. Nansense

19. silvabubbles

January 20, 2014 at 6:24 pm

@chi_e_z!…i’m sorry but did you read what u wrote? biko its not English…..meanwhile the natural thing i believe should be a style not necessarily a lifestyle, for those who have the luxury of time pls by all means, but for those who cant afford to wake up in the morning after a previously long day at work, start moisturising, combing and catering to the hair, for heavens sakes pls can we be real…..that i’m not joining the band wagon doesnt make me feel any less an african or ashamed of my culture either, so pls nip it in d bud already ‘cult natural’…… e don do

• Lisa

January 20, 2014 at 8:16 pm

i’m natural but i must say, you took the words right out of my mouth……..being natural is frustrating and time consuming, i’m waiting for my hair to get to a certain length then its back to relaxers baby!!!

• Ijeoma Eboh

January 21, 2014 at 12:12 am

I encourage you to watch some of my videos or follow me on Instagram. There are naturals who are not consumed by their hair and have low maintenance lifestyles. I definitely don’t do my hair every day or even every other day and I only wash it once a month.

20. Oyin

January 20, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Keep preaching natural hair until these naija women’s ears
    falls off. Yes, get tired of it as you want I will never get tired
    of it. Nigerian women will love to hear how u can wear ur 14inches
    Brazilian weave, how to style it, etc but they are tired of people
    telling them to accept, embrace their own hair. Nonsense. You look
    hideous with all the Brazilian, Malaysian, etc hair u wear. Other
    women wear weaves, but it’s close to their hair texture. I ‘m still
    impressed with the black women here in the U.S especially
    California who are part of the natural hair movement. I went to an
    and all the women and natural hairstyles. From their own long and
    short natural hair, to braids, twists and locks, it was too
    beautiful. But in Africa where white standard of beauty shouldn’t
    be that popular, it is. And Africans, Nigerians should be ashamed
    of themselves for getting tired of hearing “team natural”. They
    font get tired of team weave or teamkardashian.

• Nadz

January 20, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I agree! when I was younger I was constantly asked why I didn’t relax my hair, now people with relaxed hair are getting asked that question and everyone on BN is attributing the fact that an article is even being posted on the website to a need for traffic to the blog. EVERY LAST ARTICLE ON THIS BLOG HAS BEEN PUT UP TO ATTRACT TRAFFIC. There, now we’ve cleared that up. I guess people will say anything to avoid having an intelligent conversation about this issue. As in! if it were an article on how to care for indian hair noone would suggest that it was put up to get more readers. I just don’t get why people are annoyed that this is being discussed. What other race on this earth hides their real hair more than blacks? I am talking about relaxers AND weaves/wigs? And before anyone says that white people wear extensions I wonder how many times you have seen a white woman doing a full weave with a lace closure, they only do tracks! and guess what, the tracks actually resemble the structure/texture of their God-given hair. How many times have you seen a white woman buying afro textured weave and trying to chemically manipulate her own hair to blend in with it? Relaxer and Weave is BIG business my fellow BN readers, and it just seems that for a third world country we are pouring a whole lot of our resources into buying hair from foreigners to stick onto our own heads. I would ask every one to try to remove yourself from your cultural context and look at this as objectively as possible. Isn’t it bizarre that it is only among black people that wearing your hair the way it grows out of your scalp is considered making a statement? By the way I don’t agree with Oyin that the weave always looks hideous. wear your hair the way you like, just do not behave as if the situation is not a strange one.

• Miss_Flygerian

January 20, 2014 at 8:14 pm

From one natural haired sister to another, you nazis need to take a chill pill. Yes, they love to fix Brazilian weaves and whatnot? How is that your problem? Why is it pinching your skin? It’s their hair, not yours and as such, they have the prerogative to do whatever they want to do with their hair.

Perhaps, if you nazis stopped the strong and overbearing approach, people would take your cause serious. Live and let live and your life will get considerably easier.

And any body who braids her hair with extensions is in no position to write off those who fix weaves. Fake hair is fake hair. Also, not everyone has the time to invest in natural hair. I spend a lot of time on wash days detangling my hair alone. Not everyone wants to spend that much time on hair when there are other pressing things to be done. There are relaxed haired women out there with long and healthy hair so you guys really need to stop passing around the fake message that relaxer destroys the hair. To each his own abeg. After all, hair is not an indicator of how successful an individual is.

• Nadz

January 20, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I am not talking about someone who has relaxed hair and is ready to accommodate people discussing natural hair on the internet, everyone obviously has the right to do what they want with their own hair, I am only addressing the fact that the comments aren’t even about people’s personal preferences for their hair, most of the comments are saying that the conversation should not even take place. No one forced me to go natural and I would not force anyone to, all I am saying is that as far as topics go, this is an interesting one because there is no parallel with any other race, the behaviour is unique to people with African ancestry. 🙂

• oj

January 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm

i dont think it’s nice to refer to people who are expressing their opinions as nazis.

• Oyinkan

January 24, 2014 at 3:51 pm

God bless you my name sake, lol. I agree that they should keep posting this stuff. Self-hatred is indeed a curse. Natural hair is not a style, it is who you are as a black woman. If you do not understand that, then it should be beaten into your head until you do.

21. chi-e-z

January 20, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I just realized why klassy kinks sounded familiar.I didn’t even know she was nigerian *mind blown*

22. AW

January 20, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I support 2 teams; #team dowhateverworksforyou and #team therearemorepressingissuestodiscussinNigeria!

23. ForeverYoung

January 20, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Truth be told, successfully managing the African hair is a big deal. Heck if I could get my hair to look half as good as this lady’s , I’d be all over the internet posting articles and writing on blogs…e easy? Unless we are fooling ourselves , relaxers and weaves are the easy way out for the nappy-headed-chick, and ain’t nothing wrong with that. I think these “naturalistas” have earned their bragging rights. They should be allowed to happily brag and rub it in our faces, after all the same happens in the weave and relaxer kingdoms. The Brazilian-weave wearing chicks feel superior to the synthetic- weave wearing chicks , and so does the full-headed silky relaxed hair wearing chicks when compared to their no-edges-downtown-Lagos relaxed hair chicks. Abeg it’s refreshing to see the beauty of non-chemical manipulated hair, it’s their time let them be. All you can do is wait till they fade like others before them.

• Ijeoma Eboh

January 21, 2014 at 12:15 am

Haha I laughed tire at this comment!

• atm

January 21, 2014 at 2:13 am

somewhere along the line y’all have forgotten the deeper lifers and the mountain of fires and classical redeems and apostolic etc who have always carried unrelaxed hair. Team no earring, team no relaxer, team no trousers, team gbogbo e. There will always be something that will try to cause division sha.

24. Simsi

January 20, 2014 at 10:18 pm

This topic is really annoying now. Pls let us rest and do what works for us. If you want to stay natural, stay natural! If u want to relax your hair, relax it! We all have our lives to live. Nd what d women in carlifonia do to their hair is none of my business. Its my hair afterall nd my business. Don’t shove it down people’s throats.

25. frances

January 20, 2014 at 10:22 pm

okay.

26. Omotè

January 20, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I recently had my hair cut to just a little above an
    inch….it had been breaking badly n notin seemed to b working. I
    held a mirror over my head n with anoda mirror in front of me
    examined my hair, I almost passed out! I had gone bald in some
    places, not 1 not 2 spots, i counted 8, 2 50kobo sized spots n 6
    tiny button sized spots. I got angry, took out my husband’s
    clippers n cut all my hair off. I got a better look at my scalp,
    not only had relaxers and so much tension from weaves and braids
    damaged my hair it had rendered me permanently bald in some areas.
    I got wigs for going out and tie a scarf when I’m in the house. I’m
    going natural because I have to, don’t wanna be bald before I’m
    30!

27. thankyou

January 21, 2014 at 4:58 am

Thank you for this article! I wonder why people think afros are being pushed down their throat. In this world of brazilians weave oppression? OMG people need to leave natural girls alone . We’re not oppressing anybody. Next the yellow girls will be claiming that dark skinned girls are oppressing them. MSCHEWWWW

28. Shamsiyya Garba

January 21, 2014 at 10:37 am

Natural hair is the way forward. There’s nothing healthy about relaxed hair.

Thanx Ijeoma for sharing

29. fun

January 21, 2014 at 10:54 am

Lol, some folks need to leave the natural hair gals alone. Tired of some Nigerians telling me wear a weave cuz they know nothing about d different things one can do to her fro. I get irritated with comments like “wo bi Irun e Se Jo ti dada.” Not a fan of d horrible weaves folks put on their heads.

30. cheasterike

January 21, 2014 at 11:47 am

woah! such a nice one i would say, the problem with nigerians is that we fail to see ourselves as beautiful in every way, been natural is like taking some time to breath and relax from the so called westernization that is creeping deep into our brains, i am speaking not from hurts but from the real and distinct facts, i recently moved to south africa and have seen how people embrace their God given beauty with their hair( short, bald, natural, afro, kinky, dreads) not to mention a few, challenged by this i dropped my weaves and opted to try the oh natural movement. and woah i most say, its a good experience, not only is it refreshing its healthy and a way to ease the pockets while thinking of better ways to improve whats more important YOUR BRAINS>>>> Well all said , no hurts, lets face it girl friends it doesnt matter if you want a new resolution, a new erica badu’s song or a good time on the net, what works is been true to yourself, afford to wear what you can and remain as confident in what ever option you trend, dont hate, just grown and groom yourselves to be like the classy chick with a voice that you should be. we are not defined by the colour of our skin nor the hair type we carry.

31. Nonye

January 21, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Well I’m used to the way my country hypes & celebrate lil’ things that have been in existence before as if was just created today (if u recall aloe vera plant, iodised salt, etc). Don’t worry peeps the tempo will soon die down. I like the Kinky Apothecary page on facebook but funny most of the pictures they post are not natural hair per say though they look natural like the one on this article actually looks like this kinky weave-on & there’s this pic of one twin model which I’ve seen before wearing locks that lock is not natural it was fixed. So the question is are u promoting weaves that are kinky & locks? Or the real natural (SU hair)?

32. Papimooray

January 21, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I have tried to go natural everytime i tried i hear comments like. Is something wrong? I just succumb to the friendly relaxer. seriously combing my natural hair hurts. I wish I could go natural.

• Purpleicious Babe

January 22, 2014 at 3:51 am

You can babes…Education is key.
      Just do what makes you happy after all we all have our opinions.
      I went natural about 7 months ago, it wasn’t becos of relaxed hair cos I had a lovely relaxed hair. I simply just was in awe at the versatility of the “natural hair”.
      Lets just say despite all opinions mine stood out the most because I am simply in love with my hair and its texture. The relationship is super amazing.
      I did a post on it. Link below.x

lifeinstagesdoz.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=loving+natural

33. Mrs Lynxxx

January 21, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Nigerians always act like they are victims in situations. Biko, aside from insecurity, why would this issue bother you so much to the extent that you would call people nazis? If this were to be an article on how to maintain your Peruvian weave, you won’t see naturals hopping on the post, but turn the topic around and they are all screaming as if you’re been oppressed. Please if your hair is relaxed, in a weave or braid ride on. Don’t go around claiming to be a victim when you’re not being victimized.

My ten kobo

34. Kay Squared

January 21, 2014 at 3:12 pm

oh ho….. not again Bellanaija!!!!! aaba

35. Yinka Ogunbajo

January 21, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Actually when you think about it, most women with relaxed hair tend to have hair that is over processed, thin. Combine this with the constant weaves, glues, etc and you really have hair that is damaged most of the time. The main thing is to know how to take care of your hair: natural /relaxed/ semi-natural or other. It shouldn’t be about competition or beating each other down. Ladies, please use such articles to educate yourself IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. 🙂

36. Janet Songonuga

January 22, 2014 at 2:30 am

YES OH #TeamDeeperlife all day everyday!!!! God made us perfectly beautiful the way we are and can help us maintain it. Beautifully written article Ijeoma! <3

37. Amma Mama

January 22, 2014 at 2:43 am

Great article, thank you for sharing your perspective and experiences. I look forward to more articles from Klassy Kinks on Bella Naija !

38. mio

January 22, 2014 at 6:21 am

Team natural people,I hope u go about your daily activities with your natural Face?

• Ibinabo

January 22, 2014 at 12:32 pm

comment of the day!! lol

• Oyinkan

January 24, 2014 at 4:15 pm

How is that the comment of the day. How superficial. You are equating rejecting your hair texture with wearing makeup? How are they even remotely related? Not wearing makeup does not denote a racial inferiority complex.

• ilaugh

January 22, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I agree comment of the day

39. ilaugh

January 22, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I am not my hair.

• Oyinkan

January 24, 2014 at 4:13 pm

You are your hair if you need a poor Indian woman’s sacrificial hair to feel good about yourself. You are your hair if you can’t step out with the texture God gave you, and you need to soak your hair in toxic chemicals before you feel presentable.

40. Ij

January 22, 2014 at 11:43 pm

@mio, I am not team natural but yeah a good number of us don’t feel the need to paint our faces,so yeah We go about with our “natural faces”. I take a shower though…….occasionally. Where does it end self? The battle for self esteem boosting, fake hair,fake face, fake every lol.

41. Karma

January 23, 2014 at 7:10 am

Everyone has the right to an opinion. We have the right to
    choose what to consume. Just as we are not expected to devour or
    buy any new book that is published, same way people are not forced
    to read articles that do not target them. The title is not
    misleading it says what’s it about. So why read it if you know you
    are sick of hearing about natural hair. It’s not by force you can
    bypass the article. The bella blog police would not issue you a
    ticket for not reading it. I found this article
    enlightening.

42. Deee

January 23, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Thank you o, I have relaxed hair and I constantly wear weaves but I admire people who are able to go the. At urial way. Why the beef? If you’re happy with your hair choice you would never feel bad about someone else’s so if it’s disturbing you to hear about team natural you should ask yourself some home truths and also if you think an article has been done to death why click on it. It is the same way you’ll complain about certain people that you claim are everywhere yet you can never resist commenting on them! There are many topics here, so if this one doesn’t interest you please keep it moving!

43. Grrrrrrrrrtttttfg

January 23, 2014 at 10:26 pm

In conclusion god was sleeping when he was create acting black peoples hai or did he not see the Peruvian and Brazilian hair in? Mchhheeww off to buy weave jare

44. Oyinkan

January 24, 2014 at 4:11 pm

If you go natural and your hair does not look the way you want it to, understand that YOU are the problem, not your hair. It is your inability to care for your hair that is causing it to break, not grow, or feel hard. EDUCATE yourself on black hair care. You are a black woman. Stop hiding behind another woman’s hair. This is not an extreme concept, it should come naturally.

45. tomi

January 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm

This argument is so unnecessary. Health hair is GOOD hair according to Alex Elle, for those who have relaxed hair, you can visit justgrowalready.com, naijahaircangrow.blogspot.com. These two ladies are all about health hair period! Relaxed o, colored o, short o, long o all join. When my hair was relaxed it was suuuuper healthy, I took care of it and was careful to not let it break. I’ve been natural for a year and I went natural because unfortunately I had some damage from a dye job and because I was honestly just bored. I love my natural hair and I take care of it just the same way that I did my relaxed hair. it was SOOOO frustrating when i started hearing the “you too you’re natural too abi, its in vogue” comments. I was like where the hell did that come from??? I am supportive of there being a natural hair community in Lagos just so there are more people to share tips with and learn. This should not even be an argument about this abeg. let’s all calm down, treat your hair like you would your body, it’s a temple so if youre relaxed or natural or bald or bla bla bla, healthy hair is good hair.

46. obitalk

February 14, 2014 at 11:15 am

love this article, I m natural by the way, four years plus

47. Mariah

February 19, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I don’t think we as a people need another reason like hair to divide us. We are one regardless. We should be who we were born to be and not masquerade as another who was born unlike us. Im from the USA and men over here preferr a woman with natural hair that they can touch.

48. Adeola @ TheManeCaptain

April 7, 2014 at 6:41 pm

gbam! that’s it. Infact, I just read an article from a #teamrelaxed woman. I mean unless you have a low self esteem, I don’t see how you can be affected by articles online. You can simply choose to read or listen to what you want to listen to. Even if a #teamnatural is saying mean stuff to you, you can choose to walk away. I think people who find the whole movement annoying are those with a negative self esteem about themselves and/or hair. It seems like the natural hair community is huge, from the number of articles and businesses that we see online. But the truth is, we are only a TINY community. as a matter of fact, there are many relaxed haircare blogs. I recommend “Naija hair can grow”, shes a Nigerian with beautiful, long relaxed hair. you #teamrelaxed should check her out.
    themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

49. Chinasa

April 8, 2014 at 2:37 am

I have been on both sides of the aisle and I agree with those that say education is key. I had thinning hair when relaxed and it was not till i started losing hair from the middle of my head that I had to revert to being natural and the difference is clear. I have learnt through my four years of being natural that we have different types of kinky hair and knowing what your hair likes (and dislikes) is key. Just like some of us react differently to medication we take, the same goes with our hair. Some people have hair that can thrive when relaxed, braided etc whilst others will find that their hair grows better when natural. In summary, know your hair.