News

“You’re an Utter Disgrace” – Femi Fani-Kayode to Stella Oduah | Should Igbos be Offended by his Statement?

BellaNaija.com

Femi Fani-Kayode & Stella Oduah - January 2014 - BellaNaija

Nigeria’s former Minister of Aviation Femi Fani-Kayode is known to speak out on issues concerning the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

And when the news of the present Minister of Aviation Stella Oduah Ogiemwonyi falsifying her resume was reported, it didn’t take long for him to air his views. He responded via his official Facebook page.

Although calling Stella as well as President Goodluck Jonathan and the government “an utter disgrace to Nigeria”, may be taken as an act of freedom of speech, Femi made a startling statement against the Igbos.

Check it out!

Femi Fani-Kayode - January 2014 - BellaNaija

I wonder if our Igbo brothers and sisters will allege that all those that condemn Stella Oduah’s shameless lies and false declarations, under oath, before the Nigerian Senate that she acquired a masters degree from some second rate American university are nothing but “igbo haters” who have a hidden agenda?

Honestly, this woman, this government, this President and all those that support them are an utter disgrace to Nigeria and to Africa. Even with all this I assure you that our President will not be able to muster the courage and decency to be firm and decisive and to fire this vampire Minister. And we all know why though we dare not say it.

We are a nation that is being governed by a bunch of scammers, cheats, liars, rogues, 419ner’s, adulterers and ritualists. May God rid us of this evil and shameless government with it’s inner circle and tiny cabal of desperate, heartless and greedy Jezebels.

The statement has sparked a lot of debate on Facebook as to why culture had to be brought into the mix.

Do you think Igbos should be offended?!

1. Adebola83

January 8, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Hennn! Ghen! Ghen!! comments will flow now.

• Bamzi

January 8, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Why don’t we do a thorough background check on anyone who has ever held a position or is currently holding a position in Nigeria. I bet you, a lot of the credentials they claim to have earned will be nowhere to be found. I bet you. and of cos first up should be the retarded ffk.

• Mimi

January 9, 2014 at 3:32 pm

That’s the EXACT same thinking I have. Although Stella is wrong for what she did, obviously blame should be placed on the Nigerian gov’t and whoever handles the HR. I meaan, how can a whole government place someone in power WITHOUT thoroughly checking their background, getting references, validating education. That’s nonsense!
      As for Mr. Kayode, I don’t think that igbos SHOULD be offended by his statement. But because he pointed the finger at igbos, tribal distinctions will arise. He could’ve simply just called Stella, Goodluck and their supporters (who may mostly be igbos) an “utter disgrace” and left it there, no mention of any tribe.

2. St Catherine the Great

January 8, 2014 at 2:21 pm

They look alike!
    Culture always comes into the mix in Nigeria. It only takes little for people to identify tribal and cultural sentiments.

3. Mademoiselle

January 8, 2014 at 2:24 pm

LOL! Why is this man like this?? Why did he have to lose focus? If you want to call an individual out, do so and move on!! There’s no need to involve ‘igbo brothers’! It’s not everyday controversy abeg! We are in 2014. At the least, respect your age!

4. corolla

January 8, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Tribalistic sentiments will never ever go away in Nigeria.

• Carliforniabawlar

January 8, 2014 at 5:03 pm

There was nothing sentimental or tribalistic about his statements. Whoever put up this post either has reading and comprehensiom issues &/or was just trying to sensationalize this news. And you guys sure did catch the bait hook, line and sinker……
      All he said was with regards to the Igbo people was the fact that he might be tagged and igbo-hater for speaking against woman (this must have happen before). How that could or would be offensive to Igbos is what i don’t get. BN una try ganni oh! I don’t get how the Nigerian youth can effect change when we can’t even read simple english without bias.

• whocares

January 8, 2014 at 7:24 pm

It is easy to read the statement as tribalistic if you did not understand the context it was said in. I did not get it as well until Mia explained below about people protesting when she was criticized for getting armoured cars etc for me to get it. The point is he knows there is a problem in Nigeria with people being overtly conscious about culture so why fuel that fire. Say what you want to say as an “educated pulzon” and leave it at that. What is your business with what your ibo brothers and sisters are saying or calling you? Why bring that up, when you know it is a contentious issue already. It is possible to criticise the sycophants that support her without mentioning culture.. It wont be only ibo people hating. Im sure some Yoruba, or hausa people whose palms she has greased well will also be supporting her. Bad is bad. shikena!

• Carliforniabawlar

January 9, 2014 at 3:09 pm

“It is easy to read the statement as tribalistic if you did not understand the context it was said in.”
      Your response reiterates my reply….at least IMO. Paying attention while reading and making logical conclusions was the bane of the reading and comprehension section in our basic WAEC exams my dear.
      But I do understand your stance…Mr Former Minister shoulda keep the word Igbo out of his statement knowing that he actually has the precedence of showing tribalistic sentiments and Nigerians are also known to be sensitive once a tribe is pointed out….however that doesn’t relieve us as supposedly educated folks of our basic comprehension sensibilities sha ….

• whocares

January 9, 2014 at 4:12 pm

True say. I for one I consistently failed that bit of the English exam that asked you to correct the mistakes in the sentence they gave you.. I always automatically corrected the mistakes in the sentences as i read them, and so failed to answer the right question.. I still do that now. lol

5. WomantoWomanCry

January 8, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Igbo or not, it has nothing to do here..

it only shows that you get a job in Nigeria by knowing the oga at the top, degree or no degree..

i have so many friends who have left UK for nigeria with Masters, MBA and PHDs with no job yet. they have started business of their own.. so pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

• Geane Chukwuma

January 8, 2014 at 3:48 pm

It has nothing to do with her being igbo, the fact is she should be kicked out of office and shamed. I also think that reporters should dig into other people’s qualification and find out others who lied.as for fani’s rant , we all know how much he hates igbos and every chance he gets to smear dirt on the igbos face he takes. Just like a racist can never change what he was thought fani’s not change and let him not claim his not tribalistic by naming women he slept with, sex has nothing to do with racism or tribalism,you can sleep with some you hate and still hate them.

6. Chi

January 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm

It’s sad that in Africa, after the ignorance and discrimination we face abroad, we then return home to do the same to each other. Do you think the rest of the world view us as Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo? No, of course not. Instead of dividing ourselves, we should be working together to bring our failing country forward.

7. supremacydone

January 8, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I don’t understand this man any more! Latter he will come out as presidential Aspirant!

I don’t copy and paste my juicy gist.
    And comments are auto comment! No need to wait for approval

supremacydone.blogspot.com

• Prince

January 8, 2014 at 4:42 pm

How can you lol cos its about your failed sister… this tribe should pls go now!

• Bamzi

January 8, 2014 at 6:18 pm

You are asking the tribe to pls go now on a platform owned by someone from the tribe..

8. John de Beloved

January 8, 2014 at 2:43 pm

This guy is a Jobless Nit twit…

9. http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

January 8, 2014 at 2:48 pm

This really isn’t an Igbo thing. I just wish Nigerians would act rather than spend all their energy talking as always.

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk

10. Lasisi Amadu

January 8, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Tribal sentiments should not come to fore here, rather the accusation should be directed towards the perpetrator of this scandalous and shameful act.

11. mia

January 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm

He said so because some so called igbo youths came out protesting that their sister should be left alone during the BMW saga, despite the evidences against her. So yes, one has to ask if she’s a sacred cow that cannot be challenged because she’s an igbo princess.

Btw, I’m not a fan of FFK, but his question is not out of place.

• whocares

January 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I suppose in the context you explained it then it makes sense. If he wrote the statement in reply to those people, then he should be explicit in stating that. This statement is a sweeping condemnation of the government and its “Igbo clique”(that is my analysis of it) . Criticise the government if you must heavens know they deserve it.. But what does the culture of anyone have to do with the fact that they are incompetent, ineffectual liars? He should know better.

• chydee

January 8, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Dear mia, he could still have made his point without tribal sentiments.

• mrs chidukane

January 8, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Nope,those were women protesting.They were paid to protest and everyone condemned them.Get your facts right

• mrs chidukane

January 8, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Oops,some people from her state actually protested. Don’t take iit seriously though, all na rented crowd.

12. Iris

January 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Nope. We shouldn’t be offended because it is FFK who said it and we all know how he has lost all his marbles in the River Niger.This is someone who, if he got punched in the face and lost a tooth, would probably call the tooth that fell out “the Igbo tooth”. He could say “all Nigerians are ignoramuses going to hell” and he would still not be worth getting offended over. In fact, after this I’m going to do penance for taking my time to talk about something that FFK has said.

13. na me again

January 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

misguided statements, femi should never have concluded on the Igbos, after all some other tribes have done worse… I think you should have criticized the individuals according to their actions dubiousness. Bottom line is there are also good people, in fact nearly perfect people Amongst the Igbos.

14. ola

January 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm

He is not being sentimental or tribalistic – he is asking a simple and honest question. He is not calling out any ethnic group either per-se. But there are some people who will react to this by saying the news is only because she is ibo – thats all he is saying. And it is to those specific people he is talking about

15. Olive

January 8, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I am not offended as an Igbo person. The action of one Igbo individual is not a representation of the whole community (although others might say otherwise) – Stella Oduah is just a symbol of the deception that revolves amongst Nigeria’s leaders. This man Femi has a very divisive attitude and if every time one fails, he connects it to their ethnicity or tribe, then he is just a small minded person.

16. mrs chidukane

January 8, 2014 at 3:10 pm

When the car controversy broke out,everyone unanimously condemned her act.I didn’t hear Ibos saying leave her she’s our daughter. I think hell hath no fury like a woman and also man scorned. This guy should just own up the igbo woman that jilted him and made him this bitter.

• Chi

January 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

LOL, best comment EVER! Whoever that woman was, she needs to be congratulated.

17. Miss Kiki

January 8, 2014 at 3:14 pm

He shld not have mention the Igbos. Stella Oduah is no relative of mine even if she was I see no reason y I shld be offended. He shld hv just made his point n left it @ dat. Abeg they shld all go n roast 4 all I care (˘̯˘ )

18. nene

January 8, 2014 at 3:19 pm

nothing to dowith tribe. a thief is a thief. though my igbo peeps can chop and clean mouth.

19. Chigbo

January 8, 2014 at 3:25 pm

This woman, this government and this president are an utter disgrace !

Quote and unquote
    Gbam! The man speaks the truth

I am not offended.

20. Tobe

January 8, 2014 at 3:29 pm

The Phrase- Igbo brothers and sisters doesn’t portray bad sentiment…FFK has his History of always been criticized by Igbo people…even when the facts are clear that that Woman is a Thief and a scammer!!! Even when receipts of her Armoured BMW Cars leaked to the media…my brothers and sisters still defended her without any shame…but an educated mind is different…i am different! 🙂
    I am Igbo and what she did is not a true representation of the Igbo clan…as a matter of fact, I don’t see in terms of wazobia…I am truly Nigerian and I have the entire country at heart…

• wendu

January 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Tobi, I totally agree with you and am also Igbo. I don’t see any tribalism statement from what Femi has said …he just stated the obvious

21. Tiki

January 8, 2014 at 3:36 pm

All it takes is a bit of interpretation of grammar, and not an act of God, to realise that he is reacting to a precedent. From reading what he said and without prior knowledge of any other controversies, I can tell that some allegations made involving Oduah may have been dismissed on the count of their being racist or tribalistic. What Kayode is saying is, before jumping to defend someone because he/she is from our tribe, we should actually consider the reality of the situation/the truth of whatever claims are being made. Granted, he may have worded it differently, but that is the predominant underlying message I got.

22. 'Midé

January 8, 2014 at 3:42 pm

We thank God, at least he said ” our Igbo brothers and sisters. ” Yet, this Oduah business is very complicated. Some criticize because na Igbo woman and some can’t handle it. And some criticize because they are not impressed with her stewardship. The motives are buried below the criticisms and Oduah is not making things any easier.

23. Aibee

January 8, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I think I have a different take on it. At the time the BMW Oduahgate scandal broke out, some Pan-Igbo associations, whose names I can’t immediately recall, had alleged that their “sister” and “daughter” was being witch-hunted simply because she was Igbo. They alleged that Nigerians made no noise when Borishade and Fani-Kayode were aviation ministers and planes were dropping out of the sky, especially during Borishade’s time.
    I think that formed the background of the opening statement by FFK wondering whether anyone who condems Madam Oduah for falsifying her qualifications will also be termed an “Igbo-hater”.
    That said, I’m not a fan of FFK and wonder why he feels the need to comment on every issue in the news.

• Prince

January 8, 2014 at 4:57 pm

He mentioned Igbo brothers because it is a culture in Igboland to defend your own, even when it will lead you to shame. If it was not so, BIAFRA 4notB.com

• replyingsenselesstalk

January 9, 2014 at 1:48 pm

And from whence did you “oh-expert-on-all-things-igbo” come about your “fact” that it is a culture in igboland to defend our own even when it will lead to shame. Your comment is very stupid and belies much about the commentator. Very very stupid.
      Bjork I have typed this comment again because it was conveniently not posted earlier after awaiting comment moderation for a decade. If it’s not posted then I can conclude you are in cahoots with the commentator above.

• replyingsenselesstalk

January 9, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I meant BN Not Bjork. #autocorrectatwork.

24. Crayfish

January 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm

LMAO @ vampire minister

25. Prince

January 8, 2014 at 4:54 pm

26. kiki

January 8, 2014 at 5:51 pm

y r we Yoruba’s too quick to attack Igbo’s…… @prince saying is a culture in Igboland to defend they own, tell me a tribe dat have not defended its own tribe. Me as a Yoruba gal have defended my fellow Yoruba’s. Attack Stella as an individual because she brought shame to Nigeria Period!!! not because of her tribe.

27. Aragon

January 8, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Well, trust the Yoruba handlers at Bellanaija to give a confirmed tribal champion and possibly sick individual such as this guy some avenue to continue feeling relevant. I have always observed that Yorubas are quick to go ethnic on fellow Nigerians. If not, tell me why this report should even be on this website which is supposedly being run by educated Yorubas.

• randommer

January 8, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I don’t even know what to say. Uche Pedro nee Eze na yoruba woman? BN has a diverse group of writers. Please go and learn some research methods before you start spouting nonsense.

As for FFK – he makes good points which I did not see as tribalistic but he has lost his credibility because he is a noise maker and rabble rouser!

28. haba

January 8, 2014 at 7:02 pm

I am sure jonathan is sleeping with this woman thats why he cant fire her. Adultery is what they are all committing up there. Make them remember say heaven and hell is real.

29. Richard

January 8, 2014 at 7:45 pm

The Senate is a total failure to Nigeria for not verifying Stella Oduah’s credentials properly. I cannot blame Stella Oduah, most of the senators, house of rep members and governor are holding a false certificate.

30. Bb

January 8, 2014 at 8:05 pm

My take on this is that FFK or whatever his name is not better than any of these people in government since he has a fraud case on his neck, his own degrees certificates might be questionable. My advice for Madam Oduah is this, Madam please resign honourably.To FFK shut up sir.

31. Bukky

January 8, 2014 at 8:08 pm

There is nothing sick about his statement although I feel he could have left out the tribal sentiments for a bigger cause of putting across his message, but then again sensationalism is what sells this days and I’m sure he knows that and did that so he’s message will go far!
    That’s the same thing ( sensationalism) and the need for ore comments that has made Bella put this up with such a caption. The question is is it not working on you as planned? Smh!
    People should learn to be less petty and face the issues… Stella Oduah whom most of you are not signing a petition to remove etc…

32. viva

January 8, 2014 at 8:15 pm

FFK NEEDS A JOB OR A WORTHWHILE BUSINESS. HE IS TOO PETTY! LIVE THE PEOPLE IN OFFICE IN HIS TIME WHAT MAGIC DID HE PERFORM? IGBO DO THIS IGBO DO DAT, WHEN ISSUE REACH YOU NO GO FIND AM ANYWHERE IN SIGHT!

33. NNENNE

January 8, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Am a proud Igbo woman who is not in anyway offended by this remark.
    He is entitled to his opinion. I have not and do not cheat.
    BTW the minister has to say something. If it is true, she sho6

34. NNENNE

January 8, 2014 at 10:51 pm

If it is true she should resign.

35. Angel

January 9, 2014 at 12:16 am

What did this so called femi or fani or whatever he calls
    himself do when he was the minister of Aviation, mtcheeeew. Pot
    kettle black …..

36. Tee

January 9, 2014 at 12:54 am

We need ppl with the minds of Chigbo and Tobe to make up
    80% of the Nigeria population.The comments of people that disagreed
    with you guys are typical example of what FFK is talking
    about.Tribal war remains the silent killer and next to
    corruption.

37. maria

January 9, 2014 at 2:03 am

why must he state or include the ethnic group really i am
    yoruba and i am disappointed in him for that idiot

38. Kiks

January 9, 2014 at 7:06 am

Although fani kayode is generally known for his
    inappropriate remarks, I understand where he is coming from with
    this one. It was quite upsetting to see oduah being protected by
    some “Igbo” associations and persons despite the fact that she was
    obviously involved in some wrong doings. And judging by the way
    Jonathan runs this country, nothing will be done about this current
    allegation. It’s all just sooooo sad.!

39. Prince Kole Adedeji

January 9, 2014 at 9:56 am

Chief Femi Fani Fayode has said it all

40. replyingsenselesstalk

January 9, 2014 at 9:57 am

BN don’t think I didn’t notice the last time I made a comment and u did not post. Let see what you do this time.

41. replyingsenselesstalk

January 9, 2014 at 10:50 am

So my first comment is still awaiting moderation. Today is the day I know if Bn has a bias

42. GBADEBO

January 9, 2014 at 11:36 pm

FANI HAS SIGNED A CONTRACT WITH THE DEVIL. HIS FATHER WAS A HOUSEBOY OF ABUBAKAR TAFAWA BALEWA (THE SOKOTO CALIPHATE SERVANT), WHO SABOTAGED OBAFEMI AWOLOWO’S ELECTION BUT WAS OVERTHROWN BY AN IGBO COUP LED BY MAJOR ADEGBOYEGA(SELF CONFESSED LEADER-NOT NZOGWU).
    EVER SINCE THE 1966 COUP, FANI AND HIS FATHER HAS BEEN AN INSTRUMENT OF THE ISLAMIC NORTH AIMED AT FRUSTRATING THE IGBOS AND CONFUSING THE YORUBAS IN ORDER TO PROLONG THE NATIONAL POLITICAL DOMINANCE BY THE BOKO HARAM ISLAMIC-ARABIC PEOPLE.
    FANI IS UNDER SPELL BY HIS MASTERS AND CANNOT STOP UNTILL SOMETHING STOPS HIM.
    HE DOES NOT SERVE THE INTEREST OF THE YORUBA.
    HE IS NOT AN INDEGENE OF LAGOS AND CANNOT BE A SPOKESMAN FOR LAGOS STATE.
    STELLA HAS THE RIGHT TO SERVE HER COUNTRY, MBA OR NOT. IF THE MBA IS FAKE, THEN THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY WAS AWARE AND YET APPROVED HER APPOINTMENT, SO DOES SECURITY AGENCIES.
    FANI SHAME ON YOU. WHATEVER PROBLEM YOU CAUSE FOR NIGERIA WILL FOLLOW YOU TO HELL AND NO YORUBA MAN WILL DIE FOR YOUR SELFISHNESS.
    GBADEBO

• Blessmyheart

January 10, 2014 at 4:58 pm

OK!!!!!!!

43. Deegoosman

January 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Between Fanikayode and Stella Oduah who is better in terms of their achievements as public servants and as individuals? Stella Oduah is 150% better than the garulous Fanikayode. So, he should shut his smelly mouth up and never again open it against somebody who has been diligently doing the job he failed to do while he served as minister for aviation. Useless man.

44. Doris

February 5, 2014 at 6:26 am

There has been a lot said on credentials and it was wrong of her, I agree. However when I visit Nigeria I can SEE what she has done. I did not see what Femi did when he was a minister apart from employ a lot of people from his side of the country. How do I know this? I know this because when Stella took up her job. Yoruba people in the sector were complaining that she was trying to ensure that those employed by the sector was a cross section of the country and not just Yoruba people. Stella has done a lot, our airports look like international airport. So please make una softly softly criticise. If for Nigeria to progress we have to employ first degree holders or non degree holders, then I am all for it! By the way I am neither Yoruba nor Igbo