News

“It was My Worst Nightmare”! Read Nse Ikpe-Etim’s “Sickening” Story on Jungle Justice

Nse-Ikpe-Etims-Birthday-1-Nse-Ikpe-Etim

The ALUU 4 Jungle Justice incident still remains fresh in the memories of many. And although we live in a civilized society with laws, lynching of people is still going on a daily basis.

Nollywood star Nse Ikpe-Etim took to her Twitter page to shares a “sickening and sad” experience of jungle justice.

Read
“I’ll tell you my experience #JungleJustice.

I took a night bus to Aba some years ago from Abuja to the fabric market…After I had walked around and seen for myself, I went back to the park and decided to have a beer.

I brought out my laptop and started writing…trying to blend in so I don’t look out of place. I was scared but knew that in a few hours, I would be back home. As I took a swig from my bottle and turned to my laptop, in a flash…someone had lifted the bottle in pursuit of a young man.

I heard screams of ‘onye oshi’ ‘thief’…that’s when I realized that the woman screaming had been robbed of her purse…The woman claimed she had only N200 and an umbrella in the purse. They pursued him, caught him and put a tire on his neck.

They poured fuel on him and all I could do was beg the officers there to help him. They looked at me funny and struck the match. My journey to the nation’s capital was no longer the adventure I hoped it would be, it was my worst nightmare.

This isn’t a movie…I’m talking about Jungle Justice in Nigeria. I think it’s sickening and sad. We cannot lose our humanity. If a man does wrong, please seek the hands of the law.

Taking the law into your hands is barbaric and that’s not what we should be. What’s your take on Jungle Justice? Let’s talk!”

So BellaNaijarians, let’s talk about it?

1. Tayo

February 19, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Asin eh how can u kill a fellow human? soooo sickening. the least animal i can kill is cockroach, may God save my country Nigeria. *junglejustice* is evil.

• FreeNaijaLyrics

February 20, 2014 at 2:05 am

I agree….jungle justice is ridiculous and the people that make up the so-called law enforcement team in Nigerian aid the barbaric act.

The worst part about all these is that you don’t even need to steal. All that needs to be done is have one person yell “ole”, “thief” or “barawo” etc and the ever so ready enforcers of jungle justice will come to render their services.

It’s very very sad. May God help us all.

2. Hurperyearmie

February 19, 2014 at 2:45 pm

In fact am tired of this country things are not just working and to make things worse we don’t even have leaders. Make God just help us

3. Lady G

February 19, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I had a nightmare once that a loved one of mine had been wrongly accused and subjected to this. It tore me apart, and that was only a dream. Imagine the reality of it? It’s completely wrong. and the worst part about it is that a lot of times the victims are innocent. Some days I feel like the people can not help it because we have lost so much hope in the justice system that they are frustrated and need a way to maintain there own idea of “justice”. But it is still no reason to take matters as extreme as burning a fellow human being alive.

4. Buki

February 19, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I’m not over #Aluu4 yet. This jungle justice has gone on for far too long and Nigerians need to be sensitized on how it is a crime worse than the initial assumed crime of theft. It is MURDER, plain and simple. I remember how eager and excited mobs used to get back in the days when a suspected thief was apprehended. It isn’t any less appalling now. It must END. It is wrong, regardless.

5. Marc Francis of Chelsea

February 19, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Darling, it is a process of dehumanisation. The word “thief,” like faggot, invokes a sense that the accused is no longer a human being. By doing this, people see nothing wrong in setting the person on fire, beating them to death, or watching all these things happening and doing nothing. The commandment “thou shall not kill” no longer applies to/protects them, and like rams, they can be slain.

6. Omo1

February 19, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Once when I was much younger, I went with my mum to one of these popular busy markets in Lagos. While we were still at it, all of a sudden we heard some scuffles, we turned to see a cloth seller accosting a girl and asking to pay for the cloth she put in her bag, they had a confrontation which led to the girl raining abuses on the trader guy, after which the bag was forcefully taken from her..and behold the girl actually had some clothing item in her bag..before you could say Bel.., what followed was slaps and punches..and in the next instant her clothes where all gone..sadly enough not even the female traders could beg on her behalf as they urged the mob to deal with her and not even one person intervened to stop them as everyone tended t “mind their business”

I watched in shock as this young lady was dragged into the bush with all sorts of things done to her body..till date I still wonder what eventually befell her..

7. F.I.F

February 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Truly sickening, to stand and roast a fellow human. it creeps me out to think about it

8. diane

February 19, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Its all about priorities. We have are so deeply stuck in the consumer culture that we hold our belongings dearer than the life of the next human. Maybe if we manufactured shit, we will realize there’s no object worth taking another’s life for. Barbarians in a tech./industrial world.

9. jcsgrl

February 19, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Sorry personally I believe some acts deserve jungle justice. See prime example of the girl who was raped, gutted and murdered in her father’s house because she refused the sexual advances of cultists. As soon as they are caught, put the tires on and light the flame. Like those guys who killed Cynthia, JUNGLE JUSTICE. For petty crimes like theft and the rest, let the law deal with them. But if you rape or kill someone, nah OFF with your head dammit!

• Omo1

February 19, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I totally agree to this one! No apologies

• sisi eko

February 19, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Where then do we draw the line, no matter how gruesome or petty the crime we should never result to jungle justice. Who are you to say a petty theft doesn’t affect me just as a gruesome crime. The law has been set in place to deal with these crimes and give punishments based on the gravity of the crime. I understand how gruesome crimes evoke emotions and we want to rain as much wrath on the perpetrator but we should still remember they are human beings as well who have loved ones. The system has failed them hence how they turned out, am sure no child when young would say ” when i grow up I want to be a rapist/murderer/cult member. Life circumstances turned them into these barbaric acts. Mental health is taken lightly in this country and it has to change, our mental state affect out behavior to extent that we don’t really understand sometimes. Jungle justice is NEVER the answer!!!

• Iris

February 19, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I want to interject here. Sometimes it is not just the system. In the case of men raping a girl for not responding to your advances, it could be in the values they have been exposed to growing up and being shown to not have respect for other people. I want to hear what these loved ones have to say about what they taught their children, about why they should not be treated the way they have treated others. We know jungle justice is bad, but in a case like rape I need to hear something other than “please forgive and forget. It was the devil’s work. Don’t kill my son and make me a grieving mother even though he has done the same thing to you”

• Iris

February 19, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I agree with you. The only problem with that is that it cannot be controlled the way we would like it to be. In an ideal world the law would deal with some crimes and jungle justice would be reserved for some, especially since there’s barely any justice in our legal system, but how do we decide where to draw the line? Plus in some cases people use it as an avenue to manifest their secret demonic selves in full glory. I once read a story of a girl in Ghana who was stripped naked and fingered for stealing phones and laptops. What in the name of heaven did her thievery have to do with her genitalia? That said, accepting or rejecting jungle justice is something I struggle with because there are many shades of grey.

• Bleed Blue

February 19, 2014 at 5:56 pm

@jcsgrl…you know you’re my chic and I cyber-love you die BUT, this your comment right here, I cannot comprehend.

I’m not saying the barbaric goons that raped Opeyemi do not deserve death…it’s just that I don’t think jungle justice in ANY circumstance is okay. I say this because of the possibility of mistaken identity as so often happens, plus the fact that I can just decide I hate someone enough to set the person up for the jungle justice fate…and get away with it clean. All I need to do is shout “thief thief” or “rapist rapist” and then the person is toast…literally 🙁

If someone must be sentenced to death at all, let it be after guilt has been proven to the furthest extent possible, otherwise you and I are just one vindictive person away from that tyre.

R.I.P. Aluu4…I still cry…

• Abana

February 19, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Some acts deserve jungle justice, fine. You do realise that in most situations its one person’s word against the other. What stops me from shouting ole ole at someone I don’t like or even hate knowing fully well miscreants would lynch him? That is the reason people shouldn’t take laws into their hands! So many innocent people go for no reason at all. I heard the story of a woman who was lynched because she stole a baby (apparently she was going to sell the baby to ritualists), not OK but lets say its fine. I also heard the story of the female robber who was caught in traffic and lynched, also not OK but lets excuse it. But there are numerous other situations where innocent people who don’t even understand whats going on fall victim to jungle justice. And that is nowhere near OK. For the sake of such people and I believe it can be anyone, Jungle Justice is a NO NO!

• NaijaPikin

February 19, 2014 at 7:50 pm

They can have death sentence issued through a court of law if found guilty. No reason to take matters into our own hands.

• jcsgrl

February 21, 2014 at 8:38 pm

I hear what everyone is saying but in the case where you are found guilty, the person should be dragged to their village or city gates and lynched! Sorry some people are just evil.

10. nene

February 19, 2014 at 6:32 pm

jungle justice is bad and it happens in many countries in the world, and Aba is the centre of jungle justice, of course that was/is BAKASSI’s headquarters. however, jungle justice in nigeria won’t stop because people are angry and frustrated, so they take their anger out on a scapegoat, and of course our police force is nothing to write home about, so you protect yourself and community in the best way you can.

11. Love me Love me

February 19, 2014 at 6:46 pm

True true. Let the law do its job.

12. serious truth

February 19, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Am not over Aluu 4 yet, I dont know what has become of our consciences. No matter what, no one has a right to take another mans life. Please oooo ! Lets respect lives. Hmmmmmm

13. Temmy

February 20, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I totally disagree with Jungle justice, it’s not just the best. Although it is sickening when criminals are discharged on bail after they had been handed over to the law enforcement, even without putting the victims into consideration. And, if we decide to take Law into our own hands, what about mistaken identities?

14. Inem

May 9, 2014 at 12:50 pm

A very close friend was going back home from school one night (we were in part time together). There was serious crowd at Mile 2 that nite because, it was late and there were no vehicles. While waiting, a trailer without container came and stopped to help and everybody of course wanted to climb at the same time. In that process, a guy’s wallet was removed from his pocket and when he turned around, it was my friend he came face-to-face with. A very hot argument started btw them, trust Lagosians, the remaining crowd gathered around them; while some were saying, “oga shebi him say no be him, leave am na”, others were saying, “No let am go o! him don give the money to him partners”. An army officer came in the name of settling the dispute, but ended up disappearing with the last N150 and mobile phone my friend had on him. To the glory of God and to cut the long story short, it was the agberos at the bus stop who I believe actually know who the real culprits were, that yanked the bag my friend was carrying from his accuser and stopped a bike for him which took him straight to his mother’s shop.

After that experience, he immediately went to barb his afro hair and started dressing responsibly. Sometimes, our appearance matters a lot too.