News

Must Read! Sadiq Abacha’s Open Letter to Wole Soyinka

BellaNaija.com

Sadiq Abacha & Wole Soyinka - March 2014 - BellaNaija

Sadiq Abacha, the son of former President of Nigeria Sani Abacha has supposedly written an open letter to Wole Soyinka.

The letter was posted on the Facebook page of his sister Gumsu Sani Abacha. Sadiq’s letter was in response to the Nigerian writer article on the centenary celebration. (click here to read)

Read it below;
If you want to think, speak and act logically then you should know all three.

1. The law of identity

2. The law of excluded middle

3. The law of non contradiction.

Now let’s look at each one of these and see what they mean in practice.

1.The law of identity

The law of identity means that things are what they are, which at first doesn’t seem very illuminating, but wait; it implies also the following, that things are what they are, whether you like them or not, it implies that things are what they are whether you know them or not, it implies that things are what they are whether you agree with them or not.

*Sadiq Abacha, Wole Soyinka

*Sadiq Abacha, Wole Soyinka

However, if you don’t like the facts as they are you are going to have to put up with them, because facts are what they are, if it’s raining on your golf day, get used to it! Because the facts are what they are and are often not what you want them to be, like if the traffic lights turn red when you approach, stop complaining! The law of identity means that you must adapt yourself to the facts and start your work from there, it implies that the facts will not bend to meet your expectations. You must first adapt yourself to what life is and then get to work changing and improving things in your life, be brave to meet reality as it really is and not how you would wish it to be.

2. The law of excluded middle.

The law of excluded middle means that you should give a straight yes or no answer always and there is no middle ground. The law means that there is no kinda yes and kinda no, there is no ‘sort of’ being married because you are either married or you are not, you are either a thief or you are not, you are either on time or not, you are either living in Nigeria or you are not. The law is the idea that you should not try to keep all of your options open by staying in the middle or hedging, when it suits you, like when you accepted an appointment during IBB’s regime as chairman of FRSC. I bet that was a military regime you partook in. Please pick one wife and state your claim 100% to her, pick one idea and go for it 100%! Decide and commit Sir! There you might find great power and self satisfaction in the doctrine of decide and commit. No half way measures, no middle ground, exclude the middle! Here! The law of excluded middle Sir.

3. The law of non contradiction.

The law of non contradiction says don’t contradict yourself simple. If you say you will be there then be there. If you say you will do it then do it. Don’t say or fight for one thing and then do the opposite. Don’t say one thing and then later deny that you said it. Don’t say one thing and then later contradict it. Be consistent in your thoughts and actions. Observing someone who was a socialist in the morning but then became a capitalist in the evening is a textbook on contradiction, these are two polar opposites, such a person is clearly inconsistent and is therefore considered a flip flop, confused, easily led or misled or at best a lunatic who has no clear understanding of the basis of either doctrine.

Apply these three logics to others with consistency and then you can ask for the same or expect the same from others, and then you can also ask for others to deal with facts not fantasy, which is the law of identity. Ask others to make up their mind to decide and commit. The law of excluded middle.Then ask others to follow through on the things that they say they would do. The law of non contradiction.

Sir, I believe brilliance is not perfection. I have grown and watched you criticize regime after regime and at that young and naive age I was thinking why wouldn’t this man just contest to be president so that Nigeria can be saved, I would have defiantly voted for Mr Soyinka if it would have brought an end to Nigeria’s woes. To my utter surprise, I heard about your FRSC leadership and how funds were misused and a great deal of it unaccounted for. “Oh my God! In the end he turned out to be just the same as everybody else” were my next thoughts. My hopes for you, all ended up in great disappointment.

Here I find myself defending my father 15 years after his death because some of you have no one else to pounce on, or rather, you have chosen a dead person to keep pouncing on over and over again when you have more than an array of contestants. A coward’s act I believe. “A common writer” is what I have heard you being referred to lately, and I believe a mature mind would now agree to such referrals. With all due respect, there is a great challenge that faces the country, we have to put our heads together, rather than clashing, our collective ships must sail in the same direction, let us leave the ghosts of past contention and face the future bravely as one, criticizing the past does not help the present or define a path to the future.

You say, with the weight of your sense of history and the authority you possess on national issues that ” a vicious usurper under whose authority the lives of an elected president and his wife were snuffed out” referring to my late father, you must be growing old, or you would rightly recall that that president elect you refer to did not die while my father was alive. Did you slyly change your facts to fit a history that would better serve your narrative, or are you just plain forgetful? Either way, it shows you are losing your grasp of reality.

Comparing my father’s leadership to Boko Haram’s current reign of terror, is a rather cheap shot, you are in no position to examine, judge and sentence an entire regime based on the information you think you have, you are privy to almost none of the true facts, what is at your disposal is at best, hearsay, or were you ever minister of defence? did you ever sit in during security meetings, evaluate the facts and subtleties of national security? You remind me of Obama criticizing the Republicans before he became a sitting president himself, vouching to put an end to all American occupation, this all came to an abrupt end once he had access to the briefs and security issues, economic and political, facing his nation. Surely he did what he could, and history will judge him. To lead is not to be a rock star, and to be a Nobel laureate is not to be a an antagonist of this countries legacy..We are Africa’s leaders, whether we like it or not, we cannot trivialize the centenary celebration, it happens only once, let us come together, if only for this one occasion and agree to disagree.

Open rebellion against the current government at this time, on the manner of the centenary celebrations, for whatever reason, is tactless, it is not about you, it is about our nation, our beloved country. There is a time and place for everything. My late father was a Nigerian, lived in Nigeria and died protecting our interests to the best of his ability, critiquing placing him on the honor roll, along with many deserving dignitaries is your right, you have the right to your own opinions, but you do not have the right to your own facts. Facts stand alone, regardless of who espouses them, let posterity judge, but you are clearly politicizing a dead issue, how could you not be? Having an issue with the naming of a hospital after the late General and leader? really ? Now ?

It almost seems as if you want to turn back the hands of time, what else would you like to undo besides the naming of the hospital, would you like to unmake Bayelsa state, Zamfara state or the others? What about the advances we made in commerce, reducing the inflation rate, what about security and welfare, how many projects, hospitals and schools were created? inflation went from 54% to 8.5%! my father oversaw an increase in our foreign currency reserves from 494 million dollars in 1993 to 9.6 billion dollars by the middle of 1997, that is unprecedented , 15 years after the PTF the benefits are still being reaped today in Nigeria, What of peace keeping and nation building, not just in West Africa but the entire continent, restoring democracy in Liberia and Sierra Leone, all these under my father’s leadership, are all these not laudable? Or would you like to undo them all. All this on 8$ per barrel of oil! You have to be kidding me.

You are a learned man, you would have to undo all your learning to knowingly wish to undo all these achievements! I will be the first to proclaim that my fathers leadership was not pitch perfect or spot free, that does not exist, maybe in utopia but not here on this earth, so let us keep our discourse set in the sphere of reality please, he deserves the award, and he did not campaign for it, let it go, Sir…and allow Nigeria to at least bask in our survival and endurance in our growing prosperity and development in these trying times. I have been accused of being an optimist, hence, I am optimistic that you will come around and accept that we can all come together and face the future together, forgive each other our wrongs while celebrating our rights, I am still an admirer of your works after all, however, I cannot and will not attempt to answer your every charge, this is not the time or place, this is a time for solidarity, if only you were wise enough to grasp this.

I applaud the patience of President Goodluck Jonathan and his composure and restraint in not having a knee jerk reaction at such a pivotal moment in our nations history, but you would mar the occasion, Sir, in the future, please pick your battles, and do better to safeguard your relevance, Enough Sir!

Sadiq Abacha.

1. Iris

March 5, 2014 at 2:13 pm

So the Abachas can still talk? You see the kind of country we live in? If Wole Soyinka has been selective in his criticism they should address a private letter to him and stop trying to defend that man in front of Nigerians he terrorized. People threw parties when that man died.

• whocares

March 5, 2014 at 2:25 pm

My thoughts exactly…Mmy father’s leadership was not pitch perfect, or spot free”. LOOOOOL. Ooh this is the mother of all understatements. To think he can hold his head up and come up with this (pardon my French) FUCKERY! Your father oversaw an increase in our foreign currency reserves, where are the profits please? He then had the temerity to congratulate Goodluck Jonathan for not having a knee jerk reaction.. I cant, I really cant cope.
      I hope he gets to read the responses on BN or someone feeds back to him, because I want him to honestly ask himself if his father DESERVED that honour that Goodluck bestowed on him.. If the people (and family of those) his father killed, tortured and stole from deserve to see a villain glorified.

• sandyy

March 5, 2014 at 2:34 pm

very foolish guy called sadiq…. ur father was a disgrace, we threw parties , we rejoiced when ur father died even though we wished we suffered a slow agonizing death … u berra go hide ur head in shame

2. Ginika

March 5, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I have mixed reactions. I must applaud him for defending his father but in the same breathe the memories of that regime gone by cannot be justified.

• Okechukwu Ofili

March 5, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Applaud him for defending his father? Give me a break Ginika. There is no applause needed. His father as sad as it was was a dictator and usurper of justice and someone who took Nigeria backwards. When GEJ gives out awards to dictators it starts giving them mouth to talk.

• X- Factor

March 5, 2014 at 3:22 pm

The dumbest episode in …..’Seasons of Open Letter’
      Written, Produced and Directed by Alh Silly Sadiq Godforsaken Abacha

• Noble

March 5, 2014 at 3:37 pm

God bless you Okechuwu for your comment. What we hear in this country can make the deaf hear again.

• Ginika

March 5, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Okechukwu, I applaud for the courage he has to defend his father. Whether we like it or not, it is somewhat courageous to stand up and defend a person you love, even though you know they were evil to the rest of the world. He know a side of Abacha the rest of us, never knew. For example, if your Father was a military dictator, ruling the country with an iron fist but the side of your father you knew was a Father; it would be somewhat courageous for you to try justify your father’s actions to the rest of the world. So I applaud him for his courage but that being said, if you took the time to read carefully, I wasnt justifying his father’s actions. #Read

• NINA

March 5, 2014 at 3:52 pm

BELLANAIJA WHY IS THIS A MUST READ???? WHY??? THIS MAN SINGLE HANDEDLY SENT NIGERIA TO THE BRINK OF WAR, MAYHEM AND UNTOLD POVERTY…HAVE U PPL FORGOTTEN ABACHA STOVE?? WHEREIN PPL HAD TO USE HURRICANE LIKE LAMPS AND WOOD SHAVINGS AND WHAT NOT TO COOK…EVEN WEALTHY FOLKS COULD NOT EVEN BUY FUEL…NIGERIA WAS MISERABLE, SAD, AND AUSTERITY WAS AT ITS PEAK…THESE MISGUIDED CHILDREN OF A HIDEOUS DICTATOR SHOULD NOT EVEN BE ENTERTAINED…IT IS TOTALLY UNTOWARD THAT HE IS BEING GIVEN AN AWARD IN THE FIRST PLACE WHAT A TRAVESTY??? SO SAD AND MISGUIDED…A MAN WHO BEDDED PROSTITUTES AND DIED IN THE BEDROOM WITH A STRANGE WOMAN!!!! ONLY IN NIJA!!!!

• Shake my head for Nigeria

March 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I thought the level of IQ on Bella Naija readers was higher than Linda Ikeji. How dare you make such a comment? Applaud him for having the effrontery to utter such nonsense. Keep you mixed reactions to your self!

• Miss_Flygerian

March 5, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I swear. I feel like lately a lot of LIB and Nairaland readers have invaded BN. Idiotic comments everywhere.

I can’t even believe the girl is talking about how courageous Sadiq was to defend his father. You know what true courage is, Ginika? Calling your father out for the monster he truly was. It takes immense bravery to point out the fundamental and inhumane flaws of the man who birthed you. That is courage, not the opata you are yarning.

• Coded1

March 5, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I’m sorry but how old are U? Are U old enough to remember ppl dancing in the streets after his father died. The lot of them need to shut it and take whatever abuse come their way. What if the families of Ken Saro-Wiwa or Kudirat Abiola had written this? What would Sadiq and his sister have said? It’s insulting that these ppl feel that ppl owe them or their father any kind of respect *tueh – spitting in their faces and proud of it*… LoL, I sound like an online gangsta. Apologies

• Mo

March 5, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I understand your mixed feelings, and i am by no means an Abacha fan. He did make some valid points here and there.

• Jane Public

March 5, 2014 at 5:42 pm

oh he did? I am sure if the children of Stalin, Hitler and Schneider wrote an open letter to the Jews, I am sure you will also say they made valid points. Gosh, I don’t know which Darwin award I should confer on you. That of Stupidity or Naivety.

• Bleed Blue

March 5, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Where and where abeg? Plix indicate

• Jane Public

March 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Child, you obviously don’t know what courage means. I am very sure you must have picked up the meaning of courage from Nollywood movies because I still don’t get why you came back to defend yourself. Read more dear, read more. No be only courage, you for add bravery to it. MSchew

• Jelly

March 6, 2014 at 6:44 am

Applaud what?????

• Bummite

March 6, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Only an unintelligent person who has no respect for history can sit on the fence regarding such a sensitive issue. Please stand for something so you don’t fall for any crap.

• anonymous

March 27, 2014 at 8:08 pm

According to your logic any remaining relative of Hitler must be applauded for defending Hitler; after all, despite killing 6 million Jews by gassing them with Zyklon B, he had tender love and affection for his ‘wife’ Eva Braun; so let’s all give Hitler a big hand for his love for Eva Braun. The concept of profit and loss I think should be applied here: it makes no difference if you have revenues of several billions if your costs exceed those several billions by several billions i.e you’ve made a loss of several billions. Cost/Benefit is a simple but effective method of analysis for this issue. My husband beat the living daylights out of me and cracked my ribs and smashed my jaw but, oh, he made breakfast for me this morning.

3. Abdul Kuku

March 5, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I think we should stop entertaining the ABACHAS. A dictator that ruled Nigeria with an iron fist. Abeg, they should park well and enjoy their father’s loot. There’s no way a sane man can justify Abacha’s regime.. NO WAY.. I repeat NO WAY.

4. Emi

March 5, 2014 at 2:20 pm

To Sadiq Sani Abacha, here’s a response to your letter. ayosogunro.com/2014/03/05/to-sadiq-abacha-on-behalf-of-soyinka-by-ayo-sogunro/
    I hope you read this and learn to shut up your mouth and bury your head in shame anytime your father’s name is mentioned in public.

• whocares

March 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Thank you for that link.. That is a much needed balm to my enraged soul.

Atoke

March 5, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Lol Pele.

• Que

March 5, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Enraged soul captures d mood perfectly!

• Shake my head for Nigeria

March 5, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for this link. Everyone here should read it. Imagine these spawns of the devil.

5. nahmeoh

March 5, 2014 at 2:20 pm

who really cares what the abachas have to say? make e go siddon jor

• I was gonna write a long ass comment on this, but ur comment sums it up real nice. WE DONT CARE. Shikena. Pls keep your letters to yourself. Make we hear word.

• Lagos is my home

March 5, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Same reason why i pass on leaving a comment ……..The Abacha are not worth any energy

6. NaijaPikin

March 5, 2014 at 2:24 pm

There’s nothing we won’t see. That the Abachas can open their mouth to say anything…..issorait.

Bellanaija na you cause am. As you don post 2 Abacha wedding for here, and you most likely screened out all the negative comments (like you always do), the Abachas now believe naija pple don forget the sins of their family on naija. God dey sha

• Blessmyheart

March 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm

It is only in Nigeria that we will see this kind of thing. If not for the culture that celebrates wealth, however gotten, how will the children of that man even show their faces around the country instead of burying their heads in shame. I’m actually angry and their audacity. How dare you try to defend your father? Are you not ashamed of how he ruled the country? How many billions he stole, which you are now using to live big while Nigerians are suffering? Killing people anyhow? Or wait, have you forgotten he died shamefully? Only in Nigeria. Really

• Jane Public

March 5, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Exactly. Now they call it a MUST READ. One thing I am sure of the the sweeping arm of His Justice. All perpetuators an enablers, you will have your day don’t worry. You will have your day.

• Iris

March 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm

THEY SCREENED OUT MY OWN NEGATIVE COMMENT O. I came back here to make sure I wasn’t the only mad one who thought this man a joker for writing this letter and I had to respond to this (you may notice that my first sentence in this comment came from a place of deep pain). I even added small positive to the comment but alas it was not enough to make the cut. However, I don’t blame BN. I was more astounded by the people who were able to separate son’s expensive wedding from tyrannical father. I wasn’t sure whether to be envious of that kind of objectivity or afraid of it.

• Que

March 5, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Be very afraid dear Iris…be afraid!

7. Nosey

March 5, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I cant believe the likes of Bella and co are giving these children of a tyrant, dictator and murderer a platform to talk and to taunt us!!! Their father was a disaster to this country and yet they have the audacity to talk!! I mean the man died on top of a prostitute for goodness sake! And yet they think they have the audacity to address nigerians??!!! Pls stop giving them a platform! They need to bury their heads in shame and return all their ill gotten wealth!!

8. mouth mouth

March 5, 2014 at 2:27 pm

HMMM WHAT IF THERE S NO IF? WHEN WE ACT RIGHT FROM ANY POSITION IN OUR LIFE . LET TRUTHFULNESS IN OUR THOUGHT OVER RULE .

9. Wale

March 5, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I read this on LI earlier. BN should post his sister’s original twit to the esteemed Professor. These children of a despotic bastard deserve all the vitriol that is being posted on other sites. Gumsu was a dafty in school it was common knowledge. There is nothing this aboki, her brother, can pay someone to write, that will change the fact of his father’s records. The whole family should hide their faces in shame. They should be happy that we have not banished them from that country, or even slaughtered them ala sadaam or ghadafi. fcuking murdering oles. BN you see what happens when we celebrate children of the so-called pilfering g elites. Ban zas!

• Thatgidigirl

March 5, 2014 at 2:46 pm

True talk Wale. Perhaps if they had given them “the special ghadafi family treatment” none of them would have the effrontery to assault the ears and eyes of Nigerian citizens who are still hurting from their father’s barbaric regime.

• Iris

March 5, 2014 at 3:43 pm

If he didn’t write it himself he even needs to take some money back. It’s filled with punctuation errors. There is no need to abuse commas just because they are free. That’s just cruel.

• Laide

March 5, 2014 at 4:40 pm

In these really sad times, your comment made me laugh

• Miss_Flygerian

March 5, 2014 at 4:43 pm

After perusing through Sadiq’s facebook page, I can safely say that he paid somebody to write this irritating piece of shit. His page is filled with strings of grammatical errors (not typos, but straight up gbagauns). It is very shameful.

• Que

March 5, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Lmaooooo you rily did make me laugh!

• baybee

March 6, 2014 at 11:51 am

LOOOOL. You actually made me laugh, thankks.

10. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Wait, wait, wait. Just wait, somebody just explain what I’m reading above. Has the world turned upside down? Is black now white? Or is Nigeria just simply doomed?

“My late father was a Nigerian, lived in Nigeria and died protecting our interests to the best of his ability, critiquing placing him on the honor roll, along with many deserving dignitaries is your right”. How is the name of all righteousness does Sani Abacha’s son have the very balls to put this on social media? Is somebody pranking us?

Your father was a monster and I know you called him “dad” but he was a brutal fiend who was also a murderer (I refer you to Ken Saro Wiwa’s death, among others). Where is the money he stole, OUR MONEY that he stole? What in the world, Nigeria, what in the damn heck?????

• Abdul Kuku

March 5, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Imagine that statement “protecting Nigeria”… One name “Sgt Rogers”, Head of the killer squad. Well documented KILLERS.

• whocares

March 5, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I am starting to feel like we are being punked… Maybe this is an early Fools day joke. Maybe someone else wrote it. I keep staring at my screen with an open mouth and my hands are visibly shaking as I type. I refuse to think a sane man would write this.

• 1 + The One

March 5, 2014 at 3:32 pm

LOL.. Perhaps it IS a bad April Fools’ joke

• Jelly

March 6, 2014 at 6:58 am

That’s eeeeh,real April fool.

• Warri Babe

March 5, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Those exact lines got me really upset, the Abacha I knew didn’t die protecting any rights and doesn’t deserve any honour. I remember the day he died, it was a day of celebration(na pounded yam i chop with fanta). I must commend Ayo Sogunro’s replyand The entire Abacha household should expect more humiliation if they don’t respect themselves. Because we no talk, all the money wey dey swiss account neva do una #Rubbish

• Blessmyheart

March 5, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I seriously could not believe that the children of Sani Abacha could raise up their heads in this country talk less of ranting and talking rubbish. Is it their fault though? We have been content to allow them display their show of stolen wealth. I can’t believe this.

• Ola ola

March 5, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Eewo

11. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 5, 2014 at 2:36 pm

But, seriously, are we being pranked? I’m not even sure half the shit I read lately isn’t just being cooked up for us to joke about. Move back to which Nigeria? This very one?? In 2014 Abacha’s son can proudly pontificate about the virtues of his dad (while cradling the national award given to honour said father’s contributions… I laugh in many languages… to Nigeria) and una say Nigeria go better??? When, na? Dead on arrival oh. The country is dead on arrival.

• Emi

March 5, 2014 at 2:49 pm

my sister the thing tire me. It is only in Nigeria that the son of a depot whose record is so terrible not only in the sheer mgnitude of funds looted but also in the sheer magnitude of people killed

• Jane Public

March 5, 2014 at 3:31 pm

No vex Biko. No vex. Join my Amusement club. I have passed the stage of being angry tei tei. You guys don’t worry. The next Abacha wedding will be posted on BN with glee. To rub it in y’all’s faces. Join my amusement tea party. One less thing to worry about

12. Thatgidigirl

March 5, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Rubbish!!!

13. slice

March 5, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I’m sorry ur father left u such a bad legacy to deal with. Nothing u say will make historjudge him better. There”s a reason we rejoiced in the streets when he died. U mention all these economic gains that he made which he then shared with the so called evil pple that helped him stay in power and he allowed some crumbs fall to a few not so wealthy folks. While he was doing that, he killed pple and kept nigeria under a dictatorship for years when he had the chance to move us forward. Urfather was an evil evil failure of. Aman. In some ways, I’m happy that u r like this. It wld have seemed an injustice from the gods for such an evil man to spurn good seed. U can be ur own person and a better person at that, but ur father will never be remembered for good except by those whose eyes are blinded by what he did for them…and u are one of those pple.

14. Just saying

March 5, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Nigerians economy was stable during abachas regime, that’s as much as I can remember. He was not completely a monster. If you ask me, I’ll say that the so called ‘democracy’ In Nigeria is turning out to be a nightmare. So many voices are unheard, and we still can’t get the basic things right such as: electricity, good roads and a stable system.

• slice

March 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm

he was a monster. A complete monster. A few things are going well during GEJ’s time but that doesn’t change the fact the guy is a complete failure of a president. Same way with abacha. The world was in a time of surplus during his reign and be enjoyed that but he’s still a monster with blood on his decayed hands

• Jane Public

March 5, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I am sure Hitler did some good for Ze Germans. I am sure of it. Mschew

• anonymous

March 27, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Stable economy under Abacha? I severely doubt that. And even if we do assume it was stable it was nevertheless gravely poverty riddled. If you like I could supply you with stable but low current that can’t power your computer. I’m sure you’ll be very grateful for the stability.

15. MoD

March 5, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I’m speechless!!!!! @ Mz SA you said it all… Nigeria is DOA!!

16. @edDREAMZ

March 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Seeking of attention is the nxt big thing, is obvious that what he is doing……
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Bide

March 5, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Please remain in the jupiter

17. Ib

March 5, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Crux of the matter …Why did Jonathan see it fit to bestow this award on Sani Abacha? Abi he lived in a different Nigeria when Sani Abacha was president? After all, if he didnt do that, would Sadiq come here and be blowing unneccessary grammar for us? You people should check your president oh. We are screaming fuel scarcity, billions disappearing and he is there dashing out awards.

• Billy

April 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Pls tell them Crux. They shld examine n call their current messiah , GEJ, names too for gvg Abacha the award. Nonsense!!! Pple a too sentimental. Hw will u feel if u dead father’s soul is tormented? Let’s think with our heads and not asses pls. Nobody is perfect pls!!!

18. Emi

March 5, 2014 at 3:02 pm

It is only in Nigeria that the son of a depot whose record is so terrible not only in the sheer magnitude of funds looted but also in the sheer magnitude of people killed and the manner in which they were killed ( apart from ken saro wiwa, so many journalists disappeared at that time some killed some jailed), will have the audacity to speak out and defend his father in public. In saner climes, generations of Abacha’s would be made to carry the awful guilt of their father’s guilt families of members of the nazi party and even more recently Bernie Madoff’s son who committed suicide (and his own father only scammed people o). This is not so in this Nigeria where the concept of honor is alien to us. The sheer audacity of this dishonorable human being and his equally dishonorable sister is mind boggling. These scum of the earth who shouldn’t be allowed to speak or even mingle in polite company, if not for our moronic leaders who gave awards to their despotic fathers.

• lawry

March 7, 2014 at 11:14 am

When an elderly man speaks in saner climes in Africa, the young ones listen and learn. The young man obviously gave an emotive and thoughtless response to a critical argument. Thank God we do not have to shiver writing this in fear of being jailed or maimed.

19. SweetLikeShuga

March 5, 2014 at 3:04 pm

In normal countries Gsparking and Sadiq would be have sought political asylum overseas and not be in Nigeria for at least 10/20 years out of fear for their safety but because we worship money and holders of money, these kids still have the extremely brazen audacity and liver to be exercising the freedom of expression that their father supressed by any means necessary and that was killing other people’s mother’s, father’s and children. Your Father, Sadiq, Gumba abi whatever will never no peace even when he is supposed to rest and you his children
    Its not just the Abacha’s – Its the elitist system and their children, people beg friend with them instead of taunting them that their father/mother/grandfather was a theiving theiver of life and death sef!!!

• hauwa

March 6, 2014 at 6:53 pm

This is exactly my gripe…. I love BN and what she has done…. but the promotion of the elistist crowd and their spawn flaunting their wealth – milked from resources belonging to millions of nigerians, and claiming ‘hard work’ really makes me sick. I am so vexed that my eyes are stinging from tears. When i read success stories about pple who did not go to elitist schools or have rich dads/mums on BN, but worked hard from scratch, THEN I will celebrate. I like BN for what it is, a blog version of HELLO Magazine showcasing/advertising the lifestyle that many of us can only dream about, and fuelling our hunger, making it tangible by allowing us to comment. One day there will be A FRENCH REVOLUTION type, where a display of reckless wealth will become a suicide mission. FIX OUR COUNTRY, we are sick of this!

20. john22

March 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm

OBJ, IBB and Abacha was same type of people why did Soyinka singled out Abacha? he defended his father and who wouldnt do more

21. Miss_Flygerian

March 5, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Sadiq Abacha is mad. End of!!!

22. chinwe

March 5, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I can’t, I just can’t deal at the moment. seriously WTH!!!

23. UB40

March 5, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Hiaaan, nothing wey person no go hear on social media, its not your fault you hear Mr. Abacha , I blame that yeye Jonathan that deemed it fit to give your yeye father an ward, that is what gave you the guts to open your gutters and pen down that rubbish, Monkey.

24. tammy

March 5, 2014 at 3:14 pm

STFU!! Your father was the devil!

25. Ibukun

March 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I honestly wanna believe we are being pranked, like this can’t be for real! this is ABACHA’s SON in 2014, the audacity! egbami! it’s sickening

26. nique

March 5, 2014 at 3:16 pm

See me see wahala oh! This guy shamelessly has mouth to talk instead of burying his head for his Father’s name ever coming up again. im just tired!

27. Ajamu

March 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Abacha was the only man I know that died and there joyous celebration of his untimely death. Nigerians were over joyed when the killer called Abacha died . He left a very BAD LEGACY for you his children. No point defending him , he was Evil he was a Bad Man. In a sane nation , he deserves nothing close to a national award and his family members will live in obscurity. The name Abacha is synonimous to Hiltler , Pol Pot, Idi Amin etc ; the very definition of Evil in modern world. Saddiq deserves an award for having the audacity and courage to defend such a man even if the man is his father.

28. tee

March 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I never post an opinion because it will be tautology @Mzsociallyakward always speaks my mind. If this was an era of pen pals, i’ll pick you. LOL

29. Jane Public

March 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Please people, why are you getting angry. Please, someone explain to me. When his wedding was featured on here for all to see. What comments were we seeing. Oooohing and aaaaahing, all over the place. I know BN must have censored many comments (which was too obvious), but it begs the question, why the weddingw as published in the first place. We have willingly accepted them back into “polite society”, so we cannot now turn around and complain about their audacity. If they were shunned, as they should have, we will not be here discussing what not. We worship money as a people, and these are the proceeds of such behaviour. Brother Jona conferred him that award as a political tool to win over Northerners. He may come across as someone who has the light out upstairs but he is not entirely dumb. I am not even angry about this letter. More amused really. I have gone through all the stages of grief with Nigeria, even past Acceptance, I have now created my own stage called Amusement. Nothing can shock me anymore, I just go dey sitdon look. Yeah, yeah, be an agent for change, carry your preaching and run along please. For those who still have the audacity of hope, I salute you. As for me, I will be sitting, stirring my cup of tea and watch as “Rome burns”. Insert evil laughter. Okay, I didn’t mean that but you get my drift.

• Que

March 5, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Jane, I thank you for recalling that wedding! But as a victim of BN’s massive censoring of readers’ comments on that article, I beg you to direct that this comment to BN, I was waiting to see how many they will sensor today! Of course these pple have supporters, cos d ooohs and aahss were surely real, but don’t take those comments as a reflection of general public feeling about this family. Only BN can take the blame for that misconception…. I almost wondered why d hell they bothered putting this up today!

• Jane Public

March 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm

As much as you are trying to instill some hope in me about Nigerian people, I’m afraid, it is not working. I love your optimism, but those oohs and aaaahs did not come entirely from their supporters. You know how I know? Because those people are the same people that ooooh and aaaaah over Odili’s daughters wedding and the weddings of the numerous children of *cough* *cough* that BN publishes. So, it is a collective mentality thing and not just a BN thing. We have very short memories and as long as money is involved, it is okay to glorify it. BN obviously doesn’t have a moral compass, they never did. As long as it is glittery, shiny and will bring traffic, they will probably post the wedding of the son of the leader of the KKK clan if he was Nigerian. That is why I am here stirring my cup of tea (oops, it has finished, off to make another pot) and sit in amusement.

• Energy bill

March 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm

@ Jane Public and Que, I swear BN censored comments on the wedding, mine included. I saw the oohs and aahs in the comments section and couldn’t decide if it was a case of selective amnesia or looking back on history through rose tinted glasses.

• Jane Public

March 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I’m afraid is the case of the first and much more. They have slowly wormed their way back to society. Notice how we didn’t hear about them for years and suddenly the devil spawns are back running their mouths with entitlement and arrogance like they own the place. Don’t be surprised if one of them now runs for public office for 2015. I shall be sitting here and waiting too. Sodom and Gomorrah had nothing on Nigeria. Like Zilch. Blood money is the currency with which we operate, whether rivers of blood are flowing right across our homes is immaterial. We will cross over that river and go grab our own. My father always said one thing to his children. When a person loses the sense of shame, they have lost it all. Shame should be your moral compass Janey. Guard that sense of shame well, it is the key to your humanity. Obviously many people need that lesson too because the madness that is now the new normal these days is beyond scary.

30. Luqman

March 5, 2014 at 3:22 pm

This is what you gets when you started celebrating failure in Nigeria, i don’t want to blame Abacha’s family for using centenary to air their voices that had been muted for so long, i would rather blame the FG that gives you an avenue to start blowing a trumpet. Upon all the evil deeds your father perpetrated which most Nigerians could not fathom out, He still denied us the bond of unity that brings us together by cancelling the Nigeria participation in African Cup of Nations as a defending champion which was hosted by South Africa in 1996 . It was your father’s regime that we were sanctioned by Commonwealth, UN and most foreign Embassies left Nigeria.

There is no difference between the Boko Haram and Abacha in my honest opinion

31. Anonymous

March 5, 2014 at 3:24 pm

To lead is not to be a rock star, and to be a Nobel laureate is not to be “a” an antagonist of this “countries” legacy.

32. Concerned_Boyfriend

March 5, 2014 at 3:27 pm

What -y!!!… *eagerly awaits Soyinka’s rebuttal*. This boy wan hear hin papa history/narratives.

33. Concerned_Boyfriend

March 5, 2014 at 3:29 pm

What -!!!… *eagerly awaits Soyinka’s rebuttal*. This boy wan hear hin papa history/narratives. This boy just bit more than he can ever chew…

• I send small

March 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I pray he does not dignify it with a response

• Ola ola

March 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm

O yes o

• Ola ola

March 5, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Gba be! Waiting for the grand finale…… Can assure you it’s gon be a WRAP!!!!

34. Hurperyearmie

March 5, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Nigeria is dead on arrival truly SMH

35. Que

March 5, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Kai kai kai…..BN if you know you want to moderate comments today, then I will really be questioning your judgement in posting this letter at all……
    Only in Nigeria will this cursed son of a tyrant and rogue be quoting grammar imbibed in him by his crime funded education! Does he really beileve that all these dead laws he went to dig up exclude his father’s goverment from Nigeria’s darkest time in recent history??

You’re talking of dealing with the harsh reality that gen abacba created for many families…..who’s reality do you want to start with?…..the saro wiwa’s, or soyinka’s exile, or mko’s jailing for treason? Which reality?…. what is d point of a dictator sending troops to restore democracy in foreign lands while at the same time shitting on democratic ideals in his own land? Isn’t that the height of contradiction which you’re now accusing soyinka of?? If we indeed choose to exclude middles, on what side would you say your father sat more often?? You come and write about achievements that are his sworn duty to a country he was so bent on forcefully ruling foreva as if anyone forced him into that office….. thats like a mother bragging about breastfeeding ! Isn’t that madness!

While we cannot pretend that we have every last detail of the devices of every government, experiences cannot lie.. your father’s s government was real, his witchcraft was also real…. I cant remember a time b4 or after that regime that I was genuinely scared of being a nigerian, as a teenager I honestly had made peace with the fact that we would all just blow up one day n the daily dread would end…. it is one thing to deal with clear enemies from within and outside one’s state, but when the enemy is your national leader, hope truly goes out the window…. if you followed the news weekly/newswatch etc of the day, disheartened can’t even describe how you’d feel…. people will never forget that. Even if you turn a blind eye to the monetary impact of that administration….you cannot ignore spilled blood! They will speak, and you will be taunted forever! Oloshi, you’re not ashamed to be reminding d public of how such a mighty general fell at the hands of cheap whores….

I believe he was murdered and maybe if he spent his time wisely instituting a worthy justice system, and letting others be served justly, he in turn might have gotten justice upon his death.

What do you expect, songs of praise n red carpets rolling out at every mention of your father’s name- better embrace d reality….that he might have been daddy to u, but he was responsible for taking away some daddies too….when u finish quoting laws, go pray for his soul n d souls he took too! Oloshi omo! An Abacha talking of bad leadership has to be d irony of d decade!

36. Coded1

March 5, 2014 at 3:31 pm

The Abachas are the most insensitive set of human beings on the planet. If they want to start rebuilding their family name they should’ve respectfully turned down the award (which GEJ’s govt. shldn’t have given) and recommended that the Ogoni ppl who where hung be recognized. They did more to develop Nigeria than the Abachas. Anyone over 30 will remember how tense out country was in the 90s or even that period when one of the daughters imported foul smelling petrol into the country. Lagos smelt like rotten bananas for wks. These are the same idiots that feel they shldn’t be put down. They shld be sent back to niger Republic. Animals

37. Mo

March 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I blame the current leadership for given him the platform. I remember where exactly i was when news came that Abacha had died.
    Bella, you will do us a good service to post Ayo Sogunro’s response. His write up mirrored my thoughts.

• pd

March 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I was on adeniran ogunsanya.., walking home from school and I saw people bringing out crates of soft drinks and biscuit… Giving people …hugging strangers oh! Throw bangers def! For daytime…hmmm! God is faithful!

38. Ade

March 5, 2014 at 3:34 pm

ds guy is totally clueless, who are you to talk at all sef. common, we all kno ur father died shamelessly in d hands of a prostitute… ofcourse u can’t describe his regime as spotless na.

39. abi

March 5, 2014 at 3:34 pm

In OBJ speak: I dey laff o! Can you imagine such blatant revisionism of our collective history by the Abacha kids? I am not surprised at their misguided delusion of their father’s sainthood. Afterall, Nigerians did not treat them to the full measure of the angst and pain their father’s regime inflicted on us. Even BN screened out scathing remarks about the source of all that opulence exhibited on the last Abacha wedding post it put up here. They must have thought their father was the best thing that happened to us since sliced bread!! Psschewww!

40. STV

March 5, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Lots of u guys are just going viral with all kinds of abuses in response to the write up. Can’t we all think positive for once? Where is our human faces? The country needs all of us at this time so that we can overcome our current challenges, and a good way to start is by honoring Nigeria through the collection of the award. It ain’t nice to be firing abuses at times like this.

• L'afrique

March 6, 2014 at 5:19 am

yimu… Joker like you.

41. omada

March 5, 2014 at 3:40 pm

BN please post Ayo Sogunro’s response to Sadiq. HEre’s the link: networkedblogs.com/UrXRd

42. Praise

March 5, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Prof. Soyinka does not need to respond to this shameless Sadiq Abacha, I think Nigerians have spoken their mind. The Abachas should go hide their faces in shame. I pray they read all these comments and know how disgusted Nigerians are. mtcheeew.

43. omada

March 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Sani Abacha was a demonised megalomaniac who belongs in the same category as Idi Amin, Adolf Hitler and other tyrants. Nonsense!

44. Emi

March 5, 2014 at 3:42 pm

45. http://www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com/

March 5, 2014 at 3:46 pm

This is what caught my attention the most, because in spite of all the big words being thrown around this is Nigeria’s biggest problem at the moment, and that’s his response to the Boko Haram issue; “you are in no position to examine, judge and sentence an entire regime based on the information you think you have, you are privy to almost none of the true facts, what is at your disposal is at best, hearsay, ”
    So there are indeed “true facts” that some certain people are privy to? Do tell. And while at it please help me plead with them, the innocent do not have to be caught in the crossfire. Innocent blood has been spilled enough.
    It is only normal that you would defend your father, but to also enjoin us to all forge ahead as “one”? Coming from an Abacha, that’s laughable.

46. I send small

March 5, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I’m sorry but who are the some that are cowards? And at reading that sentence I kind of lost interest and all the other words started dwindling down into unimportance coz that’s what this is–it is unimportant. Mr S. Achaba, stop seeking relevance, my dear. And it is you that needs the naughty corner for wasting our time. By the way, where’s our oil money oooooo

47. Ibinabo

March 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

This Sadiq has got some guts o! they are supposed to hid their faces in shame.. It’s like the letter is written defending someone else and not the same “ABACHA”…

48. Otunba

March 5, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Na wa o. Abeg who we dey talk about here? I am confused oooooooo. Is this Abacha’s children talking? The same Abacha? General Sani Abacha?. I guess the Centenary award sent a wrong message to the family. Please note that the award was for “Outstanding” Nigerians: either Negative or Positive. Its not an award of Excellence of Achievements ooooooooooooo. Abacha’s make una note ooooooooooooooooo. I was in the University when abacha died and the instant celebration and jubilation was mind blowing.

49. Miss_Flygerian

March 5, 2014 at 4:11 pm

BN won’t post my earlier comment where I said Sadiq Abacha is mad. I have said it severally–BN, una yeye too dey smell.

Anyway to the topic, I can’t even believe Sadiq had the balls to write this verbose piece of bunkum. This has gone beyond delusion. His defense is a brazen insult to Nigerians, particularly the families and memories of those his father had murdered. Imagine the audacity of this pseudo-intelligent fellow. I don’t blame the yeye son of a yeye father, I blame GEJ for handing out awards to dictators, the same people that led to the downfall of our country. That’s why their children can open the cesspits they call mouths to misyarn. In saner climes, na who go dash them mouth to talk? Nonsense. Umu anuofia na enwero ifele. Nonsense.

50. ify

March 5, 2014 at 4:13 pm

It goes to show how invaluable these awards are and the criteria used in granting same. Perhaps during the Abacha regime, GEJ enjoyed some personal benefits which he now has to repay or perhaps he is receiving some form of support currently from the Abachas. It is highly nonsensitive and an affront to grant a national award to a man who terrified the whole populace and whose death brought so much joy, and jubilation in the lives of Nigerians. If we where living in a punitive society and not a corrupt one, Sadiq and the entire Abachas would have been stripped of their wealth and hide their heads in shame in public, he would not have the audacity to defend his terrorist of a father or criticize our very own Nobel laureate.

51. Luola

March 5, 2014 at 4:18 pm

The sense of entitlement in this letter is disgusting to say the least! First of all can somebody ask this young man where he was when his father was ruling this country? If he was in Nigeria I bet he was safely tucked away living in a world so different from what the average Nigerian experienced under his father’s administration otherwise he would not be saying this. To ever say that his father deserves an award is an insult to all Nigerians! The fact that we are silent is not an indication that we have forgotten. It is an indication that we have decided to rise above the wickedness and hatred that ravaged our country for 5 years. We are quiet but we have not forgotten. Respect our silence and do the same…keep quiet! Thank you.

52. Energy bill

March 5, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Iru isokuso wo ni eleyi nso? I am on the verge of tears reading this. This is no different to the story of a girl who wrote yesterday about being raped and then jeered at and taunted by the rapist and his friends.

• jay

March 5, 2014 at 5:10 pm

preach!!!

53. Osie

March 5, 2014 at 4:48 pm

“…What about the advances WE made in commerce, reducing the inflation rate, what about security and welfare, how many projects, hospitals and schools were created? inflation went from 54% to 8.5%!…”
    Did this Sadiq character just say ‘WE’? Doesn’t that in itself give us enough insight into how deluded this Abacha family was (and still is)? It was a military dictatorship for crying out loud, not a monarchy!! Your poor excuse for a man father was supposed to be a head of State. not with you, with your mom, nor with any of your sorry ass siblings! What then the heck is WE? Little wonder your brother Moh’d did very well planning and facilitating the deaths of all those innocents who fell under your evil father’s sword, the apples(in this case) do not fall very far from the tree now obviously. FACT: You can’t choose the family you’re born into. FACT: You can choose how you carry on.

• jay

March 5, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Preach!

• Nosey

March 5, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Thank you jare! Deluded family of ar** wipes!

54. jay

March 5, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I still don’t see usefulness of the three laws he quoted, but hey thanks for the brief education. He was clearly educated abroad, and wasn’t or rather didn’t feel the effect of his dad regime. And indirectly calling Soyinka a common writer? please. I do believe that history must be kept whether bad or good. Quoting 15 years like it’s a long time to undo the effects of his regime. I was only 7 when he died, and i still felt the hype from my surrounding so I joined in (lol), but now i know what the hype was all about. Maybe instead of asking Soyinka to pick his battle, he should take that advice.

• OMA

March 6, 2014 at 1:05 am

I thought I was the only one confused and trying desperately to grasp what exactly his point was. The first was the worst of course!

55. jay

March 5, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I don’t know the reaction he hoped to get while writing this letter? Surely he wasn’t expecting to get a positive feedback? cos I’m confused.

56. seggyt

March 5, 2014 at 5:19 pm

P.s ur dad died on prostitutes, a far cry from savjng nigeria

57. Anna

March 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm

This letter dey pain me because am just soo sick of all these African leaders or dictators…am not Nigerian but I remember back then about the famous dictator SAni Abach who was feared by soo many if not all Nigerians. His death was a celebration…how can the son now have the effrontery and guts to spit out such bunkum? He is clearly clueless and needs to be brought back to his senses.

58. Ashton Kutcher

March 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I just stopped by to tell y’all I wrote this. You have all been punked!!!!

• omada

March 5, 2014 at 5:49 pm

LMAOOOOOO

• Jelly

March 6, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Rotflmao

59. OgeAdiro

March 5, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Bellanaija, you need to warn people before they read things like this. It’s like Hitler’s son coming to Hitler’s defense. This entire post is just nauseating.

60. Loverly

March 5, 2014 at 8:41 pm

O di egwu! As in Nigeria is really scary…when children remember the pervasive fear we lived in during Abachas reign- this was a period in which I lost all faith in the Nigerian political system and understood that to stand up for any values left one vulnerable to disappearing or publicly and shamelessly being murdered. Im not shocked at his response but Im disgusted that Nigeria is still a country where money reign supreme and such rubbish is tolerated and sometimes even celebrated.

61. ivie

March 6, 2014 at 1:50 am

Na wa oo…shey na like dis we go dey dey*amusement of the highest order! I no blame Sadiq..na our govt I blame. Very soon monkey go market e no go return#Smh

62. Gbadebo

March 6, 2014 at 2:24 am

A day after our very own goodluck choses to honour him

Department of Justice
    Office of Public Affairs
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014
    U.S. Freezes More Than $458 Million Stolen by Former Nigerian Dictator in Largest Kleptocracy Forfeiture Action Ever Brought in the U.S.

The Department of Justice has frozen more than $458 million in corruption proceeds hidden in bank accounts around the world by former Nigerian dictator Sani Abacha and conspirators. A civil forfeiture complaint unsealed today in the United States District Court in the District of Columbia seeks recovery of more than $550 million in connection with the largest kleptocracy forfeiture action brought in the department’s history.

The restraint of funds announced today includes approximately $313 million in two bank accounts in the Bailiwick of Jersey and $145 million in two bank accounts in France. In addition, four investment portfolios and three bank accounts in the United Kingdom with an expected value of at least $100 million have also been restrained, but the exact amounts in the accounts will be determined at a later date.

Acting Assistant Attorney General Mythili Raman of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division and Assistant Director in Charge Valerie Parlave of the FBI’s Washington Field Office made the announcement.

justice.gov/opa/pr/2014/March/14-crm-230.html

63. chuchu

March 6, 2014 at 3:28 am

Everything is going wrong with the WORLD, Nigeria and those who lead it, I agree that Soyinka is just as corrupt as they come and yes why won’t that come up, if only he had rejected that uncomely position from another kinda tyrant this open letter won’t have seen the light of day. That said, I want Mr Sadiq to act like a matured person and please desist from opening wounds that seem to have a false covering appearing as a sign of healing. PLEASE DO not make comments and remarks because we don’t want to hear it, we NIGERIAN ARE Suffering because of a marriage that is so foul and unholy and yet we cannot leave. PLEASE do not bring your big philosophies from your overpriced foreign schooling. We don’t want to know, Soyinka may not be right but please no more words from the ABACHAS’ no need to defend publicly you can do that in your palaces, enough said sir. Let us continue to suffer and see where all this will end except there is no GOD, this madness will end.

64. Decoded

March 6, 2014 at 4:10 am

Reading this letter just completely shames me. My aunt, who was a journalist, was put in jail for speaking the truth about Abacha’s regimen My family among many other families were tourtered during this regimen. In any other country a family like this would be in exile it is only in Nigeria they are still able to hold their hands high. But we as citizens are part of the blame, we attend their parties and functions. We allow them to speak without much backlash. If we are so disgusted the change starts with us. We can no longer allow people like this to feel comfortable to speak lies.

• seki

March 6, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Wow! I pray for your family. I couldn’t read ot I felt shame and disgust reading the first paragraph.

65. neola

March 6, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Hmmm.. Sadiq, this is my open letter to you….by now you should have changed your surname, however Nigeria celebrates tyrants, hence the guts you have to insult Wole Soyinka and defend your father. The memories i have of your father is akin to how i think of the devil. Believe what you may, but the sins of the father shall fall upon the children. So do not be in a hurry to start writing english and celebrating… iF I were you, i will utterly cover my head in shame and mind my business from today. You have no platforms to speak about anything, since your father denied people freedom of speech…i blame Jonathan !Failed State

66. pd

March 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm

GEJ just because of reelection you go give his man father award! Birds of same feather na! We shall see oh!

67. The Truth

March 6, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Forget about Sani Abacha, Sadiq is not Sani Abacha, Yeah He feels so sorry and apologized. Are you going to be judging Sadiq coz of what his dad did to the country? How do you feel been treated same way. If we have to think about anything..Forget, Sani Abacha is dead and gone so what ? The only issue is that Mr.President shouldn’t have Awarded him. So forget about Sadiq and face the Dead Sanni Abacha.

• neola

March 6, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Sadiq get out of this place!

68. dma

March 6, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Mr Sadiq e-tel I really don’t blame you for playing on the collective intelligence of Nigerians.
    I blame the successive failed Nigerian presidents after your father who couldn’t bring the Abacha clan to justice for the pain and hardship he brought to Nigeria. You father stole enough money to feed the whole of Africa for the next one hundred years and you have access to the money.
    Your life is secure you will never see or know what it’s like to be poor! But I tell you this if you think the name Abacha is worthy to be in the “GOOD” books of Nigeria’s history then go ahead start a political party and contest for the post of president in Nigeria without the election rigging machine in place and see who will vote for you.
    Left to me people like you will not be walking the surface of this earth because I will give the entire Abacha clan and generation a test of the Abacha medicine summary execution!

69. DORF

March 6, 2014 at 2:50 pm

If what this animal called Sediq said is anything to go by then Sons of Adi-Amin, Mobutu Seseko, Stalin and others also have the moral duty to come to public glare and defend their fathers against any dissenting opinion, not his fault its a reflection of the society we live in where wickedness is rewarded with national honor.

70. LEWIS EUGENE O

March 6, 2014 at 2:53 pm

MR. WOLE SOYINKA IS ALWAYS IN MAKING A CONFLICTING STATEMENT IN NIGERIA.

71. Fashionista

March 6, 2014 at 6:18 pm

In fact, i CANT!

72. Oluwanifemi Bakrin

March 6, 2014 at 9:55 pm

For my money, I suggest all and sundry-comprising both the wealthy and the poor,the physically disabled and visually impared-should put a stop to these swipes they have been taking at themselves.Do you see it as unconscious or blurred to carefully see the possible imminent state of shambles that would soon consume the country-ranging from unimaginable attacks Boko Haram and daily excessive stories of public officers exhibiting attitudes of ‘Prima Donna’ and having kleptomaniac fingers on the national treasury-this so ludicrous?!I tag it as rhetorical to say if talking without any act of revolution or resistance or renaissance concerning the future of our beloved nation could suffice for a new Nigeria the youths and aged citizens of this country dream of.In one word, actually Latin,Obliti privatorium publica curate(forget private matters,deal with public ones).However,sometimes we are just like these leaders of ours, we are suffering from misplaced priorities-For Pete’ sake,what’s your beeswax in this whole issue between Whole Soyinka and Sadiq?…Would you all take to the streets instead,to protest against the current situations of the country.God bless.

• Billy

April 22, 2014 at 9:31 pm

@Oluwanifemi Bakri, u are a true Nigerian. God bless u! How I wish Nigerians will start to think dt way. Dear Nigerians,we should learn to think and act positively pls, put d past behind, face the present and plan for the future.

73. shina

March 6, 2014 at 11:34 pm

i remember we used to cook using charcoal.

74. kevwemykl

March 7, 2014 at 3:18 pm

No man is totally evil and no man is totally good. Sadiq talked about forgiveness and moving forward. As good as Soyinka was, he was actually given a portfolio to manage which was actually mismanaged as Sadiq stated. So, i would say they both don’t deserve this award! But, i believe in the power of forgiveness. Mandela is remembered for that… smiles

• anonymous

March 27, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Yes. The man who murdered your child and ate her liver was very kind to his dog because he fed it some too. Let’s commend him for his love of animals.

75. Jamie

March 8, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Too sad to read something like this in my lifetime.

76. Mondris

March 9, 2014 at 1:59 am

I have a very big respect for this guy ”Sadiq” . We all should wake up and stop talking about the dead. Abacha is dead and gone and we should not be attributing blames on the children. What has abacha done if l may ask? let assumed he made a mistake during his regime but what about this present politicians? are they still making this same mistake now? looting and killing.COME ON. let leave abacha family alone.

• anonymous

March 27, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Well, if the present politicians are just as bad as Abacha (which I don’t think they are) it still doesn’t mean that they, or Abacha, should be commended.

• a

April 14, 2014 at 2:10 pm

NO We will not leave Abacha alone.

Has hitler been left alone?
      Has the KKK been left alone?

No we must remember the evils done to us. So we do not forget the sorrows of yesterday and make the same mistakes! We must remember the wickedness of one man. and How his useless family can still stand up to defend a ruthless dictator. MSSCHEW.

If we don’t, won’t we all start giving Abacha awards like this useless man- GEJ?

Nonsense. Nigeria- FAILED STATE!

• Mike

April 18, 2015 at 12:46 pm

@ a,

You are absolutely correct

• Mike

April 18, 2015 at 12:38 pm

You are very s….d…

77. goodtosay

March 10, 2014 at 7:53 pm

This is what u see when u give education to a fool and affluence to an Idiot. Mr Sadiq Abacha your father is a shame to Nigeria. Pls dig your head in shame .

78. S.M Mohammed

March 13, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Gen Abacha was truly a great man, may his soul rest in perfect peace!

79. Prince

March 17, 2014 at 7:40 am

Lol @ X factor. Hmmm….. @ just saying.

80. Prince

March 17, 2014 at 7:51 am

Lol @ X factor. Hmmm…. @just saying

81. Val

April 15, 2014 at 11:11 am

fair response from a living Abacha, not the dead. I believe we can only start from where we are today, never from the past. So, we bring all necessary pasts into now and reason out (considering the pasts) how to go where we intend to be.

Thanks 4 all your responses. God will still reward each time/effort.

82. Jerry

May 30, 2014 at 1:43 am

Sadiq made alot of valid points about the Abacha regime, inflation rate, foriegn reserve…. have any of you even cared to check the facts? General Abacha was a military dictator just like OBJ, Buhari, IBB, Gowon and co. He did his best as a military dictator afterall Nigeria did not disintegrate did it? Since Abacha’s death we have had leaders who have ordered Mass Genocide (Odi/Zaki Biam), we have heard of $20 billion(still) missining and far more worse things…my people make una easy with the abuse.

And if the man wants to defend his fathers honor, I applaud him.

• Mike

April 18, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Mr Jerry,

I am sure you will not be honouring him if your mother was Mrs Kudirat Abiola

83. mike

April 18, 2015 at 1:34 pm

@ goodtosay,

Don’t be fooled! He probably paid someone to construct the grammar for him.

Juts Imagine; using our stolen money to insult us…

@ the Abacha’s, shameless bigots..

84. Malcom x

April 26, 2016 at 7:27 am

The like of Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini were the senior traitors, while Abacha is a traitor of our generation. He never thought of death at all. Look at that fool called Sadiq. You were saying Abiola did not die during your father: what of Abiola’s position that was denied? What of June 12 lost of lives where innocents people were ordered to be fired by your cruel father? Soyinka too nearly executed but fled for his life. Please park well, the shame is much for your family.