News

Olusegun Obasanjo: “I Don’t Have a Record of My Birthday”

Olusegun Obasanjo - Africa Progress Panel - World Economic Forum

Olusegun Obasanjo, the former President of Nigeria, who turned 77 on Wednesday 5th March 2014, revealed he has no record of his date of birth.

At his 77th birthday ceremony held at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) in Abeokuta, Ogun, he stated on his “official birthday” that it was the inability of his parents to document it.

OBJ Birthday - March 2014 - BellaNaija
“There are those of us like me who have no real record of birth. I want to thank God once again for what He has done in my life. Whether I know the exact date of my birth or not, I think God has made my path glorious.

I was actually born on Ifo market day because according to my mother, she had prepared to go to the Ifo Market and Ifo market was every five days. And then she was in labour, before those who went to Ifo market could come back, I was born.

I know and she knew I was born on Ifo market day. Don’t ask me what year or month.”, the former head of states said.

The statement was in reply to Oba Olusanya Dosunmu‘s declaration that OBJ is older than 77.

He also thanked President Jonathan for congratulating him on his birthday. Present at the event were Governor Ibikunle Amosun, Segun Oni and Sunday Ehindero.

Punch was first to report the news.

1. http://www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com/

March 6, 2014 at 8:59 am

Lol @ ifo market day.
    Them cakes are ugly though. Green and brown? Gross.
    Some people just don’t know. Our former domestic help kept insisting she was 22 when she’s nothing less than 35. Initially we thought it was her “football age” but at some point I realized she really doesn’t know her age. I guess someone told her to just say 22 if she’s asked.

thelmathinks.blogspot.com

• Geebabe

March 6, 2014 at 11:39 am

The cake depicts a farm. Farms are green and brown.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 6, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I must say the picture did not do the cakes any justice at all. There were actually about 8 cakes if you don’t count the tiers. The one you referred to as ugly was done on a green board depicting a field and on it were 4 huge cakes. The brown you noted were the wooden fence of each cake. There was a pig farm on the first, a fish pond on the second, a Holstein cows on the third and a tractor on the fourth. The creativity and mastery of the baker is to be respected.

And no I did not bake it neither do I know the baker.

2. So true! Neither of my grandparents know theirs. All they knw is, it was after amalgamation.

3. DocDeola

March 6, 2014 at 9:21 am

A lot of older generation don’t have an exact record of their birth date. My grandmother went to record office a year after my mum was born! I guess to do with proximity of government offices and knowledge about doing so in those days!!!

4. yinka

March 6, 2014 at 9:27 am

baba well done

5. lolo

March 6, 2014 at 9:35 am

Happy birthday sir!

6. no heart to hate

March 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Happy 77 Sir

7. deb

March 6, 2014 at 2:17 pm

My househelp too just knew the year nd date she was born ealry this year. She is 35

8. Obi Chiemerie