News

Oluweri Mabo’ojo! How Much Do You Know About the Osun Osogbo Festival? Watch The Battabox Coverage

BellaNaija.com

Dear BellaNaija readers, how much do you know about the Osun Osogbo festival?

The Osun Osogbo festival is a sacred festival which takes place in Osogbo, Osun State. According to cultural lore, the goddess, Osun, was a healer and when she became a river her healing powers were transferred therein.

For two weeks every year, people flock to the river Osun in search of healing.

The guys at Battabox have covered the festival and it’s really an insightful and educating one. Watch to find out about the gods of the land, their peculiarities and the history behind them.

Check it out!

Part I

Part II

Photo Credit: naijatreks

1. dami

March 21, 2014 at 11:39 am

Thanks batterbox

2. mizzy

March 21, 2014 at 11:58 am

Na wa oo….see as we de celebrate idol worshiping ni

3. Great Portland Street

March 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Blood of Jesus!

4. ron

March 21, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Hmmmm! Thank God for Salvation.

• Fountain of Paper

March 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Brought to you by Colonial Masters the ‘producers’ of Telephones, Light Bulbs and the recognition of Fundamental Human Rights (a.k.a freedom to shag in your bedroom without being jailed)

• paloma

March 21, 2014 at 3:21 pm

SO???? u continue serving lifeless objects??? idols???? Thank God for Salvation!!!!

5. whocares

March 21, 2014 at 12:26 pm

This is really interesting. Every time the lady threw the baby about I was flinching…I have to watch it properly at home. These things have always interested me, and not just because I am Yoruba. I would definitely attend the festival to get a true feel of the atmosphere. That said, I am glad some people still practise these things. It is not for me, but it is an important part of the Yoruba culture and it would be a shame for it to disappear.. That bit about the gods drinking blood, so long as they restrict it to the blood of an animal, and then fry ’em up (where is the sense in wasting good meat?) its kib.

6. Bimpe

March 21, 2014 at 12:27 pm

very interesting!!!

7. Bimpe

March 21, 2014 at 12:28 pm

good to know that some ppl still recognise history.

8. sassycassie

March 21, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I don not practice orisha, codomblé or any other traditional religion but this is interesting

9. Amh

March 21, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Watched a documentary on it on it, lots of foreigners actually come from their country to witness the festival especially the white. I reckon that was how Adunni olorisa the white priestess was hooked. Heard her daughter has taken over as the preiestess. Mind you she was german. Christianity the real one not the thieving and adulterous one most of our socalled men of God do this days. Its the colonial masters religion. But God is real and alive, never seen him but hes powerful and the name jesus works. I reckon, diffrent religion worshippers believe in his or her God, just like the muslims, hindus, native, rat worshipper snake orisirisi and the esu worshipper. Not one to condemn but mine works

10. larakingz

March 21, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Wow… glad I wasn’t born then.. expensive gods if you ask me, he goat, snail et al aint cheap mehn.

Thanks battabox for this more grease.. In another news the wood carver reminds me of Frank Donga.. *runs away*

11. Thatgidigirl

March 21, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hmmm! seeing that young lady in white at the shrine got me thinking. Imagine offending or dumping her as a guy, ur own don finish be that oh! she would invoke all the gods and goddesses to avenge her cause.

12. Anonymous

March 21, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Interesting I must say.

13. badddoleila

March 21, 2014 at 1:46 pm

@larakingz- hahahahahahahahaahaha, poor Frank!!

But really, who is Frank Donga? What’s his real name? Can someone please interview him. Those doleful eyes , bless.

14. beacon

March 21, 2014 at 3:12 pm

that guy sounded more like someone that collected insanity…or curses…rather than blessings

15. missprim&proper

March 21, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Ignorance on rampage. #justsaying…..

16. Author Unknown

March 22, 2014 at 2:08 am

I couldn’t even watch it through. Confirmation that colonial brainwashing has really worked….for better or for worse. All the Nigerians here shouting ‘blood of Jesus”. This is what their families do in the closet O.

17. Crofty

March 22, 2014 at 3:05 am

The folly of idolatry

Isaiah 44:9-20

New International Version (NIV)

9 All who make idols are nothing,
    and the things they treasure are worthless.
    Those who would speak up for them are blind;
    they are ignorant, to their own shame.
    10 Who shapes a god and casts an idol,
    which can profit nothing?
    11 People who do that will be put to shame;
    such craftsmen are only human beings.
    Let them all come together and take their stand;
    they will be brought down to terror and shame.

12 The blacksmith takes a tool
    and works with it in the coals;
    he shapes an idol with hammers,
    he forges it with the might of his arm.
    He gets hungry and loses his strength;
    he drinks no water and grows faint.
    13 The carpenter measures with a line
    and makes an outline with a marker;
    he roughs it out with chisels
    and marks it with compasses.
    He shapes it in human form,
    human form in all its glory,
    that it may dwell in a shrine.
    14 He cut down cedars,
    or perhaps took a cypress or oak.
    He let it grow among the trees of the forest,
    or planted a pine, and the rain made it grow.
    15 It is used as fuel for burning;
    some of it he takes and warms himself,
    he kindles a fire and bakes bread.
    But he also fashions a god and worships it;
    he makes an idol and bows down to it.
    16 Half of the wood he burns in the fire;
    over it he prepares his meal,
    he roasts his meat and eats his fill.
    He also warms himself and says,
    “Ah! I am warm; I see the fire.”
    17 From the rest he makes a god, his idol;
    he bows down to it and worships.
    He prays to it and says,
    “Save me! You are my god!”
    18 They know nothing, they understand nothing;
    their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see,
    and their minds closed so they cannot understand.
    19 No one stops to think,
    no one has the knowledge or understanding to say,
    “Half of it I used for fuel;
    I even baked bread over its coals,
    I roasted meat and I ate.
    Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left?
    Shall I bow down to a block of wood?”
    20 Such a person feeds on ashes; a deluded heart misleads him;
    he cannot save himself, or say,
    “Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?”

There is only one true living God and none to be compared to him. No one can save like the Lord God almighty!!

18. Fatosin

March 22, 2014 at 11:02 am

If only this was an accurate depiction of the festival instead of depictions and interviews with people who are non-olorisa.