News

“A Ring and a Credit Card” – Can You Use Your Girlfriend’s Card to Pay for Her Ring? | LynksDrivers Productions

Olu LynksDrivers - A Ring And A Credit Card - BellaNaija

How far into debt can you go for a proposal?! Will you make your girlfriend pay for an engagement ring?

We got this video from Olu of LynksDrivers Productions, who makes wedding videos for Nigerian couples in the US. See his BN Weddings Videos HERE!

Today he’s brought us something different which we think will be a great way to start a conversation about money before marriage. We think the acting and script in the video could have been better, but the message really got us thinking.

Synopsis: Deola and Lanre have been dating for a while and Lanre felt it was time to take things to the next level – the proposal! Things go awry when Deola found out Lanre bought her engagement ring with her credit card.

So let’s talk about it!

• Is it okay to buy an engagement ring with a credit card i.e. going into debt because of a ring?
  • Is it proper for a guy to propose with an engagement ring purchased with the funds of the lady?
  • Is it okay for a partners to use each other’s credit cards without permission? At what point will it be considered fraud?

Watch!

Videographer: Olu Adewunmi | lynksdrivers.com | instagram.com/lynksdrivers | admin (at) lynksdrivers.com

We love weddings as much as you do – get in touch for inquiries, inspiration & more!

E-mail: weddings (at) bellanaija.com | E-mail for #AsoEbiBella: asoebibella (at) gmail.com

Instagram: BellaNaijaWeddings  | Instagram for #AsoEbiBella: AsoEbiBella
Twitter: BellaNaijaWed
Pinterest: BellaNaijaWed

1. Esquiress

March 21, 2014 at 12:04 pm

No to all 3 answers, I’d rather he saved up to buy me a ring. I wouldn’t even want him to put it on his own credit card.
    He wants to propose, He buys the ring with His own money.
    I don’t think you should use anybody’s anything without permission. phone, money, credit card. be it boo’s or bestie’s.
    El fin

2. Blessmyheart

March 21, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Hahaha. Interesting topic. I don’t believe in going into debt because of engagement ring. Buy what you can afford. Rings can be changed later. I also think it’s the proposal that counts, the ring is not that important – it’s just a symbol. What if there’s no ring, does that mean you’re not engaged? We put ourselves into unnecessary trouble because we want to conform with society’s expectation.

• Mary Claret

March 23, 2014 at 2:06 am

Amen to all you’ve just said….Serious unnecessary wahala…

3. Tru

March 21, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Firstly, your bf – BF o – has your credit card details???
    Nextly, ( 😀 ) Say what??? Buy me an engagement ring with MY OWN card??? I might as well propose to myself and marry myself while I’m at it

4. Fa

March 21, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Story! Pls not money, instead keep ur ring

5. Vanessa

March 21, 2014 at 12:13 pm

To all the questions, no, it is NOT OKAY. Buying me a ring with my money also means I bought the ring myself,= I engaged myself. Hell no, you cant use my card without my knowledge and permission;except you were stuck in Bermuda Triangle and there is a machine there. But why will you be with my card anyway? If you don’t have money for a ring, engage her with a Bible or Koran; tell her the ring will come later.

6. Fountain of Paper

March 21, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Look at the idiotic friend too saying she’s jealous of her sey dem tiff her card buy her ring , sey e mean sey proposal dey come. Such shallow thinking. Is marriage the Be All and End All of Life?

• kizzle

March 21, 2014 at 2:40 pm

As in..talking about how bbz go wan die for ring..haba, make she relax nao!it aint that serz..like say make I woze the babe from here..desperado.

7. Dee

March 21, 2014 at 12:35 pm

if you cannot afford an expensive ring, you can get a less a expensive metal. I have been wearing my silver wedding band for three year, I love my Husband, I am enjoying my marriage, hopefully i will change to Gold or other expensive metals soon. cut coat according to size

8. Dame

March 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Well well well bella! Dare I say!! With continuous pressure from the society it is expected for issues like this to occur. Often times it’s not always the individuals fault. With thousands of people attending singles crusade and the ever increasing desire for a family, SOME women and men would be happy to have a piece of metal around their finger. The original source used to purchase the ring then becomes a secondary factor. For SOMEwomen, the overidding feeling of knowing you are getting married comes primarily from the ring. Some may chose to purchase it just so they can say I’m engaged . Nowadays if you say you are engaged, you better have your ring! No one is ready to listen to long epistle! Once u declare that you are engage the side eye crosses straight to the engagement t finger! So to some women or men wether it’s on credit or loan oh or whatever it doesn’t concern them! Personally I wouldn’t accept a proposal on borrowed money(ring) . Not shexy! But oh well to each their own

9. Yinka.

March 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Horrible acting and accents. That’s all I’ve got.

• tbaby

March 21, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Thank you sir/mam we will work on it…but like they always say. If you don’t have anything good to say, its better you don’t say anything at all.

• Jo!

March 22, 2014 at 12:14 pm

And who are you? Their publicist? You realize you’re doing more harm than good yea?
      And yea, the acting and accents are terrible. Nice effort sha
      And loooooord that song?????? Waddahell were u thinking?

10. Thatgidigirl

March 21, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Abeg tie rope around the finger instead. shuooo!!!

• kenturky

March 21, 2014 at 1:48 pm

hahahahahahhahaahah!!!

11. Ibinabo

March 21, 2014 at 1:27 pm

1. No
    2. No
    3. No

12. Babytohcute

March 21, 2014 at 1:37 pm

She’s a little bit calm. If I catch that man….. You go vomit the money plus interest and I’m keeping the ring and kicking your sorry ass out

• kiki

March 21, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Same thing i thot oh… even after i find out it was u, i ll pretend like i reported to b bank about fraud b4 i found out. police n efcc ll come n play oga with you small. ogini. its from clap people dey enter dance oh. next thing una marry he will use ur card n pay 4 d bet he lost while gambling. personally i can pay for d wedding band oh.. im really fine with that. but Uncle shld engage me with the ring he bought with his own money. not any credit card nonsense

13. iyke

March 21, 2014 at 1:46 pm

This is what happens when juveniles rush into marriage and fail to live in the REAL world!Be true to yourself always!

• kenturky

March 21, 2014 at 1:55 pm

my dear these days not just juveniles even iya arugbos’ and agadi nwanyis'(old women) do it.the point is that some women do not have patience in their dictionaries any more.

14. Ikido

March 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm

But come…what happened to all this Gender equality propaganda that is being seriously preached day & night? What a man can do, a woman can do better init?!
    As a sharp guy; in addition to the engagement ring…i would have even bought the 2 wedding rings…to show that indeed the woman can do it better!!.

15. omada

March 21, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Her friend was soooooo annoying. “Do you know how many women will die for a ring right now?’. Typical.

• kizzle

March 21, 2014 at 2:48 pm

As in!! Like say make I should just woze the babe anyhow. .see shallow thinking oo.

16. omada

March 21, 2014 at 2:11 pm

But why does her bobo have her credit card details tho…See rough play. He should have used the ring to propose to another girl, that would have made it more interesting…

17. Bunmi

March 21, 2014 at 2:19 pm

NO! to all the three questions above….

18. Miss_Flygerian

March 21, 2014 at 2:49 pm

NO NO NO!! That is just all sorts of wrong. Use my money to buy engagement ring? Which kain play be that? Dem never born the person who go try that kain nonsense with me.

Since when did engagement ring even become compulsory? The marriage proposal is all that matters. After all, many couples in our parents’ generation got married without engagement rings. Today’s generation just places so much emphasis on the ring. It is really not that important.

19. Nikki

March 21, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Hmmm, no words no boyfriend will have my card details tho so it can’t happen, endtimes

20. Uc

March 21, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Ha! No to all question…….I hear this is happening this days.Lord have mercy beacuse i dont trust my self in such a situation why will i call him first whats d police there for?he will be d one to call me from the police cell and dats me being nice

21. BabyDee

March 21, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Okay, well my ex-father-inlaw paid for my engagement and wedding rings. What do you say about that? Cos till date, It’s hard remembering that, with an “That was okay” right behind it.

-BabyDee

22. BabyDee

March 21, 2014 at 3:36 pm

*a

23. Insightful

March 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm

with the kind of men we keep in this lagos ehnnnn…. she should just thank her stars that he bought the ring for her in the first place. because these men have become soo callous they would use ur credit card to buy an engagement ring for their second girlfriend. Awon oloriburuku.
    Anyways i’m not saying he did the right thing by using her credit card tho.

24. chi-e-z

March 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm

oh Hell nauw this onye’ oshi right here did not just pay for her engagement ring with her own credit card. If that was ehn, I’d be like Ain’t nobody marrying your broke a** theiving self. shoot it would have been better if he got a $50 fake ring and switched it after he got enough money, not like that’s good either but least better.
    No igbo girl would tk that nonsense. am’ gasi I si gini..ego’m.. ishi gi a di gi ma.

25. tbaby

March 21, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Thank you every1 for your comments will surely send it over to the big boss and the casts……

26. Narnia

March 21, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Thats not even funny,looooool wth, how cheeky
    Eh ko si problem il use his credit card to buy his bday/Xmas presents and co!
    But damn…..nigga b broke! Lmao

27. Opeyemi

March 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm

No! NO!! NO!!!

28. Ogungbola Mayokun

March 21, 2014 at 7:32 pm

NO!!! But her accent sef, it is something

29. MiszPha

March 21, 2014 at 7:36 pm

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo…………………………………………….

• truetalk

March 21, 2014 at 7:57 pm

cosign…might as well marry myself…pls its not by force to have accent ehn we know ur nigerian its OK to speak with that accent uggh…the singer needs to stop and not quit his day job #fail

30. Que

March 21, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Why exactly is an engagement ring on credit, nna tie rope on d hand n find d nearest priest/registrar/imam/babalawo -as u believe in- to join u together…. What’s all this nonsense?

31. Big Pikin

March 21, 2014 at 8:29 pm

This happened to my gf. She called the company only for them to tell her. hahahha, she still didnt break up with him at that point. She finally left his cheating ass tho after wedding invitation has been printed and stuff.Shes happily married to someone else now

32. bolaji

March 21, 2014 at 11:58 pm

”at least you’ve paid for your ring” BUAHAHAHAHAHA! What manner of shade is this?!

33. Daaaiiiizzi

March 22, 2014 at 11:01 am

hahahahhahahahaha, is the world that desperate, just to please the crowd… Use my money , credit card to buy an engagement ring..haaaaa! dude is a trip… No! no! no!.. if it was me, that will be it… it doesn’t even make sense at all. from using her credit card to buy engagement ring, to her credit card to buy his own car or some stupid stunt and who is this mumu friend of hers. at least you have a ring…. i don’t like girls like this.. His friend gave him the best advice….

34. delilah

March 22, 2014 at 4:32 pm

lwkmd, wait oh my credit card to buy me ring??? have they used pc pipe to rearrange ur bone structure? and see the good for nothing friend, they haven’t pulled out your wig before. the girl herself needs slap, she is still speaking English and gesticulating like she is a choir mistress!!

35. Nollywood Reinvented

March 22, 2014 at 10:30 pm

This is 50 shades of stupid!

36. aunty

March 23, 2014 at 7:38 am

you guys realize that this isnt “real” right?

37. zoit

March 24, 2014 at 10:40 am

Too bad. To me, its a big no no. Real Men don’t do that. And it is even worse these days. He uses your money to buy a real ring for his real girlfriend and presents the counterfeit to you. Yea!!!! It happens

38. Selfish Set of Human beings

March 25, 2014 at 3:20 pm

All i can say is that majority of these ladies/women are selfish, self-centred, stingy, ungenerous, self-loving and inconsiderate.
    They can spend all a guy has but to release theirs is a problem. The guy will never do that in a normal state (all things being equal)

leaving the topic, a lady who is not supportive in nature will remain single all her life. If you are meant to be an helper, and you cant assist hubby when he’s broke, to take care of the house for the benefit of both of you, you are not ready for God’s blessings!

They cant sacrifice anything, even if its intended for both parties. You can have his own pin but he cant have yours right? Thought you were all shouting for equality and empowerment? When it comes to releasing resources, you see the beast in them

I am grateful to God i never met this kind of beings!

39. Teni

March 25, 2014 at 5:25 pm

NO! NO!! NO!!!

40. Mis P

March 25, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Everyones going off about how the guy used the girls money. Newsflash people! The money on the credit card is not yours. He used her card cuz he didnt have enough limit, plus he did say he was gonna pay it back before she saw it. If he used her debit card then sure, by all means let all hell break loose. The guys ready to propose to you, meaning he should know you to an extent before considering spending the rest of his life with you, but you call foul because he used your card without permission in an attempt to surprise you. How can you say your bf commited fraud by using your card. He wants to be a part of you. Omg… What the hell do people do in relationships these days. Why so shallow… I bet the ladies won’t bat an eyelash if it was the other way round. That lady doesn’t deserve a ring. So many things wrong with this video. Ladies please try to be supportive. Please.

41. itsjustme

March 27, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Yes, No, No…..everyone is in debt anyway

42. OmoMakun

March 28, 2014 at 7:45 pm

No one should ever go into debt over a ring. Just like a car it depreciates in value as soon as you walk out the store doors. Buy what you can afford..shikena!