Music

RIP… Musician Zara Gretti Passes On at 28

BellaNaija.com

Zara Gretti - March 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija 01

Nigerian-American singer Zara Gretti is dead.

Zara whose real name is  Margaret-Mary Joseph is known for her hit songs including “The Flyest” and “Teno”.

In the past, she was open about her battle with multiple sclerosis. The Mayo Clinic defines Multiple sclerosis (MS) as “a potentially debilitating disease in which your body’s immune system eats away at the protective sheath (myelin) that covers your nerves. Damage to myelin causes interference in the communication between your brain, spinal cord and other areas of your body. This condition may result in deterioration of the nerves themselves, a process that’s not reversible.”

Zara is believed to have died today. The family isn’t releasing a statement on her death yet but her former manager confirms the tragic news.

Over the last 2 years, Zara had chronicled her painful MS journey via social media pages including instagram and twitter. She recently shared that she could no longer walk and could barely sleep. It is clear that the talented young musician was in a lot of anguish yet she maintained a positive disposition.

Her last tweet was yesterday Thursday 27th March 2014.

Celebs including Davido and Weird MC have started tweeting about her death.

Rest in Peace Zara.

1. wendy

March 28, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Wow!!! Resp In peace!! She was a very vibrant chick! May God give your family the strength to pass through this tough phase..

• Berry Dakara

March 28, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Vibrant is the word!!! I literally just told my friend that Zara was such a VIBRANT, fun-loving girl. Knew her from NR, although we never met in person.

This is just sad. May she RIP and her family be given the grace and comfort to get through this time.

2. Hurperyearmie

March 28, 2014 at 5:34 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t believe this Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is terrible Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Sommie

March 28, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Oh no!!After every thing,Lord why???…She was so strong and always said she would survive this..this is so sad.RIP.

4. MaryClaret

March 28, 2014 at 5:36 pm

OMG May her soul rest in peace! I remember when there was some sort of campaign about raising funds for her to have some procedure done abroad…o may her family find strength to bear the loss!… Sad!

5. Concerned_Boyfriend

March 28, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Jesus!.. This is one hits too close to home. She was like a lil sister to me. OMG!

6. nene

March 28, 2014 at 5:39 pm

oh my God..Jesus Christ! i didn’t know she would die. Soo young, and this girl was very full of life before her illness and even after. I am very sad, this is too bad.

7. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 28, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Her last tweet takes on a completely new meaning with this news … This is really sad and I pray she’s resting now.

8. Aphrodite

March 28, 2014 at 5:50 pm

This is f******g depressing. I knew her. Why? After everything, why?? She went through so much

9. Jane

March 28, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Damn! Can’t believe this RIP Sarah *sad*

10. shannaro

March 28, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I recently ended up on her instagram after randomly clicking through rest in perfect peace.

11. Concerned_Boyfriend

March 28, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Why did she go to Nigeria for God’s sake ?. She would still be alive if she had stayed in America.

• Sommie

March 28, 2014 at 6:02 pm

That is not true.I remember she was on Wana’s show on IFM late last year and she said something about it not having a cure or so but she can only be assited medically to live longer.Besides,she was not based in Nigeria permanently,she shuffled between Naija and America.

• D

March 28, 2014 at 7:42 pm

There is no cure for MS…you are slowly watching yourself die. So unfortunately this time around location is not to blame. And knowing your own body is working against you makes it even “suckier” But that age is pretty young

• lalaroses

March 28, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Death is no respecter of geographical location my dear. just pray for comfort for the family

12. El patron medellin cartel

March 28, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Sad! R.I.P!

13. BabyDee

March 28, 2014 at 6:13 pm

OHHHH my fellow naijaryder!! Zara, I truly hope you have found the rest and peace you so much desired! Rest in perfect peace darling!

-BabyDee

14. Serene

March 28, 2014 at 6:20 pm

OMG! Z-baby! So so sad!

15. Aibee

March 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Wow! I thought she was getting better oh. Rest in Peace Zara and may God grant her loved ones the fortitude to bear the loss.

16. Demmy

March 28, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Wow, I remember reading somewhere that she was recovering. This is so sad. May her soul rest in perfect peace. xx

17. Dee

March 28, 2014 at 7:01 pm

So sad, RIP

18. Me Myself and I

March 28, 2014 at 7:04 pm

This is so bleeding sad……. RIP, may God grant her loved ones the fortitude to bear the losss

19. ozyy

March 28, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I just hope it isnt true. I remember seeing her @ the airport and walked up to her. She was lyk sheeshh, I dont want pple looking. She was just enjoying her meal with her hair covering her face..I just pray it isnt true. Amen.

20. kokie

March 28, 2014 at 7:14 pm

RIP

21. Naija Ryder Kami Kaze

March 28, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Z was family to us. Such an international free spirit. Rest now love, you will always be loved.
    Your music lives forever! Ooh, I need some sunshine from the rain….

22. ONAKACHI

March 28, 2014 at 7:38 pm

It breaks my heart to hear this. No way…may her soul rest in peace. May God help her family at this time…*sigh*

23. Aj

March 28, 2014 at 7:54 pm

May her soul rest in peace, she was such a talent, this allows me to put things in perspective, very sad.

24. Dee Lami

March 28, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Wow, what a tragedy…. No more pain, Lord knows best, May her soul rest in the bosom of our lord Jesus Christ, i pray that her family and friends find solace in God art this hour…

25. lizzey

March 28, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Rip Zara,May ur soul find peace

26. Damilola

March 28, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Very sad passing. Wish the Nigerian music industry could have come together to help her more like they did OJB. With all the wealth we have from the likes of Don J, Wizzy, Davido, the twins P-Square, not many donated and that’s the flipping truth. Why aren’t our artists unified? Why is it every man for himself? We need to boycott there shows abeg because this is BS. No unity in this country. I am sad. I met her once that’s it but I am sad not only because she is gone but because we are not unified in this country. Now people will attack me thinking my words are wrong but deep down ask yourself “Are we unified?” Are our musicians unified? Is there truly love in this country called Nigeria? Our problems are too deep.

• Leila

March 29, 2014 at 12:24 am

@Damilola I agree with you 100% they only give if they will get publicity mileage and pretencious RIP messages that will be picked up by the blogs from either twitter or Instagram. This young woman has been asking for help on her Instagram page for a long time but it wasn’t news worthy and celebrities didn’t talk about it now she is dead they are all showing and posting insincere RIP messages. Shameful. Bella post ooo cos its my own observations.

27. Miss_Flygerian

March 28, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Omg!!! RIP Zara, rest in the bosom of the Lord.

28. Sheri berri

March 28, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Bella Naija…Please try and help your own next time. It may not have saved her but at least she would have felt huge support from large media platforms. I know Linda get her own wahala but she was one of those who reached out to the public when Zara was struggling with her condition. Let this be a lesson. Thank you. Sleep on baby girl…

29. iyke

March 28, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I am indeed happy that the pain is NOW over. May you be at peace with the angels, Zara Gretti. I can imagine the state of worry and uncertainties that you lived with, considering the very high level of unpredictability of multiple sclerosis.It must have been indeed, intolerable.
    The pain is over now sweetheart. I take comfort in knowing that death isn’t the end.
    Ka chi fo.

30. fancy

March 28, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I only met her once but she left a good taste in my mouth about her. she was sweet and full of life. i was hoping that this is not true. my heart hurts. i thought she was getting stronger. May our good Lord give her family and close friends strength to carry on. RIP Zara

31. Naija ryder Oderah

March 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Wow, Zbaby is gone! May she rest in peace!!!

32. lalaroses

March 28, 2014 at 9:36 pm

this life.. RIP sweetie

33. Anonymous

March 28, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Heard this news about 5 to 6 hours ago and the 1st place I came to was here to confirm but since it wasn’t on here then, I thought surely it must be a lie. But oh God, it’s true and it’s sinking in. RIP Toyin. No more pain for you. God knows best.
    U are missed MMJ Aka Zara Gretti.

34. KAYYOUNG

March 28, 2014 at 9:59 pm

May her soul Rest in perfect peace……….

• alonge taiwo dammyy

March 29, 2014 at 7:48 am

Dis is a lesson 4 rest of us [email protected] ar still living, av u ever tot of it [email protected] 1day u will b absent permanently 4rm dis world. Wea do u think u ar goin 2??? Heaven or Hell??

35. Adaeze

March 28, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Eternal rest grant unto her Oh Lord and let perpetual light shine upon her. May the soul of Zara rest in the bosom of the Lord. AMEN. RIP Zara!

36. muanya

March 28, 2014 at 10:16 pm

RIP Hun dis life s jxt unfair………cnt stop watchin inyanya’s birthday video last year all cus of u,may God giv ur pple d fortitude 2 bear ur Loss….Amen!

37. TrueTalkCritique

March 28, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Words fail me…..such beauty and talent at such tender age…way too painful. sleep on Z..God be with those u left behind!
    Massive Fan

38. Saint Nelson

March 28, 2014 at 10:36 pm

DeatH is not from God .. I sure believe there is another life after this life …. I don’t know her much but I don’t wish no one to die young … My prayers to her well wishers and family members …

39. GladiatorInASuit

March 29, 2014 at 12:59 am

So sad. I loved her song abokoku. May she rest in peace. I didn’t know her but I feel awful. Man life is short.

40. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

March 29, 2014 at 1:03 am

RIP dear

41. dorcas

March 29, 2014 at 1:07 am

Rip my dear…………… The pain is over

42. Ariya

March 29, 2014 at 1:41 am

“Vibrant” is the perfect word to describe her. Anyone who was a regular on Naijaryders a few years ago would know that she was such a distinctive personality–always bubbly and positive. It’s an awful tragedy and my sincere condolences to her family.

43. Yemisi

March 29, 2014 at 1:53 am

Rest in peace Mary.God give your family and loved ones the fortitude to live with the pain of your death.

44. Choice

March 29, 2014 at 1:56 am

May her gentle soul rest in peace, you will be missed Zara.

45. Mayowalicious

March 29, 2014 at 2:11 am

Awwwww … RIP Zara!
    mayowalicious.blogspot.com

46. Okechukwu Ofili

March 29, 2014 at 4:12 am

love always

47. Obiageli from Naijaryders

March 29, 2014 at 8:03 am

This is just tooo sad!! I had hoped she would make a full recovery after the reports last year that she was getting better. I never knew her personally, but knew her from Naijaryders. always very vibrant, and always seemed like the centre of every party. she had so much life and potential. But the Good Lord knows best. May she rest in perfect peace. I pray for the peace and comfort of God to all her family and loved ones, in Jesus Name. Amen.

48. Guru

March 29, 2014 at 8:07 am

Wow, Z-bizzle. Everything in life is just for a while. My sweet baby sister, may your vibrant soul RIP!!

49. SmashingM

March 29, 2014 at 9:59 am

May her soul rest in perfect peace. Amen.

50. Spicy

March 29, 2014 at 10:46 am

I remember tweeting a family friend who knows Zara that i loved her song “aboko ku” (which will forever be my jam) and she tweeted me back!i was soo happy at that one tweet and thought what a humble girl. God bless you and rest in peace sweetheart, the pain is over now

51. Stephanie

March 29, 2014 at 11:41 am

very sad one….rest in peace

52. Bennie Errick

March 29, 2014 at 5:23 pm

RIP

53. Miss Mo

March 29, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Awwww never met you but knew you as Z-baby on Naija Ryders. Too sad, but no more pain for you dear. Go sing with the angel and Rest In Sweet Peace.

54. Mrs Nwosu

March 29, 2014 at 10:20 pm

God rest you darling

55. Stella Kashmoney

March 29, 2014 at 11:48 pm

RIP Zara. Life is too short.

56. Baby Giwa

March 30, 2014 at 12:23 am

RIP SWEET EJIRO

57. Tosin

March 30, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Don’t know her but I saw the photo and was like: this beautiful lady is dead? Wow, I hope she made a big lovely noise in her few years…it looks like she did.

58. no heart to hate