News

Samuel Okopi: Learning To Speak Like The Brits & Americans

I love British and American accents.

Yeah, I do. I love the way many Brits omit the ‘t’ from ‘forget’ as if to challenge their ancestors about what they feel is an unnecessary inclusion of that letter at the end of that word.

I like to listen to Americans talk. A black American stressing his words as his hands speak a visual language of their own, is a spectacle I always find exciting to watch. His dramatic sentences can begin first as words jogging on a plain, and then sharply shooting up to the mountains where one word—just one word—becomes a sustained marathon of music that suddenly dives into the calm sea of normal speech.

I love British and American accents. Seriously.

What I don’t like is the imitation (and subsequent corruption) of these lovely ways of speaking the English language. It is amusing to listen to Nigerians, who have never crossed the borders of the motherland, talking to their fellow citizens with a foreign accent. I find it disturbing to have television and radio hosts feed me (and their esteemed NIGERIAN audience) information flavoured with what could be any strange mix of American, British, French, Australian, Jamaican or Italian accents.

Ha!

I can’t help laughing when I ask myself some questions: how does he speak to the mechanic he takes his car to? How does she communicate with the tomato seller in the market? How does he talk with the average guy on the street speaking with a naija accent, without feeling weird? Is this all an act put up on television and radio? Is this act necessary?

Please, let’s not even visit Nollywood.

I wonder, because I believe many of these television and radio personalities have never crossed the borders of this country or stayed out for a period that justifies acquiring a foreign accent. I wonder, because each time I listen to our Coordinating Minister of the Economy speak, I hear the English language served unashamedly with a Nigerian accent even though she has spent many years abroad.

Or is this a problem with our generation?

Everyone has the right to the important freedom of self-expression but this matter is really not about that right but about the broader issue of what it means to be a Nigerian and to inspire fellow citizens to be truly and proudly Nigerian. It’s about a strong inferiority complex currently pervading our social landscape, one that hides under a superficial air of superiority that expresses itself through counterfeit customs. It’s about our society becoming blind to the value of our indigenous languages and the cultures they carry, all because of an obsessive longing for foreign culture.

It’s about the pressure to not be yourself.

Because, it’s truly a sad thing to be judged by your natural accent and not by the weight of the words issuing from your mouth. It’s sad to have a well-educated lady somewhat ostracised because she has what we have gleefully termed ‘the H factor’. I have made interesting and brilliant friends online who, several months later as we had our first voice conversation by phone, spoke with indigenous accents that were quite heavy. It didn’t change my respect for them and I have always enjoyed these conversations.

When I was much younger, my reaction would have been markedly different. Maybe I would have distanced myself from these friends on account of their accents which I might have found to be disgusting. But things changed. My mindset evolved. These friends I have made, when I speak with them, I not only enjoy the weight of their words but also the music in the inflections that come with them.

It’s a good thing we have begun to accept the value of some of our indigenous ways of speaking the English language. Comedy is one accepted value and we know how our three major languages and two others in the South-south have thrilled us in this regard. We now celebrate the Warri way of speaking English. But moving past the stereotypes and stain of inferiority this comedic value still embodies, we must understand one thing: the accents each Nigerian language flavours our official language with, is a window into appreciating the culture carried by that language.

A number of our popular artists have infused the musical quality of indigenous accents into their songs to immensely pleasurable effects. Think of Asa. Hit songs like ‘360,’ ‘Maybe,’ and ‘Be my man’ have this distinctive appeal that owes to the Yoruba accent Asa’s amazing voice is coated with. Should we also talk of fabulous Igbo rapper Mr Raw, whose fluid code switching and Igbo accent make his rap songs so so desirable? The praise and worship albums by many Igbo gospel artists give an entirely different yet beautiful feel to popular English songs that originated from the West.

Whenever I visit my village and listen to the church choir thrill my ears with a beautiful, accent-heavy number, I can’t help but think that our craze for foreign culture has done us a lot of harm. I can’t help but really wonder if we aren’t losing a great opportunity to tap into our rich heritage through the various windows our indigenous languages provide.

I love British and American accents. French and Italian accents, too. I really do. And if a Nigerian who has probably spent many years abroad serves me an authentic delivery of any of these accents, I will still enjoy listening to it. Notwithstanding, I am not ashamed to speak like a Nigerian among white folks. I am not ashamed to identify with Nigerians speaking with the standard Nigerian accent or the accent of their mother tongue.

Photo Credit: dukannooficial.foroactivo.com

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Samuel Okopi has a Masters degree in Architecture from A.B.U, Zaria. He loves poetry and engages with architecture, nature and culture on his website www.samuelokopi.com where he takes readers, every week, on an exciting journey round the world. Subscribe to his newsletter and follow him on Facebook and Twitter.

1. Hurperyearmie

March 12, 2014 at 10:06 am

God bless you samuel, in fact i am PROUDLY YORUBA and when i say ohh it comes as hohhh some of my friends are always laughing at me but i do tell them to hug a nearby transformer or unfriend me if they dont like it ‘cos this is me and i dont have any reason to be fake i wish Nigerians can be themselves and stop faking

• whocares

March 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm

lmaoooooooo. That happens to me sometimes, and I sometimes drop my “h” but I always try to caution myself, except when I am angry.. forget it. OHHs , ates (hate), “th” pronunciations get dropped in the gutter. lool.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 12, 2014 at 1:42 pm

And thanks to “Jennifa” some of us non- Yorubas are happily dropping our ‘H’s to also feel among 🙂

Seriously though, if a European or Chinese person is readily accepted by us in spite of their sometimes challenging accents, I don’t see why anyone with a clear Nigerian accent should be discriminated against. And sometimes, the terrible “shelling” inflicted by some Nigerians as they try to impress you with an acquired accent just makes me feel like begging them to stop. Focus on the primary problem of figuring out the right language before compounding that problem with another…

• nike

March 12, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I love you. Something we have in common. Im very pleased cos ur comments always makes sense. Goes to show that ur accent does not define ur intelligence. I work in a school and the kids would be like is it he or e. Lol. I try to drop the h aswell but when im rushing nobody got time for that. Im more conscious of it now though. Thats what i get for not mixing when i got to the uk. Lol

• Ronette

August 7, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Can an amerian pick up nigeria accent in 10 years

2. Esther

March 12, 2014 at 10:08 am

Very well written Samuel. Hear ye, hear ye my people. On a serious note, there are few things I find as off putting as a fake accent especially when the person can’t seem to decide if it’s the American or British accent he wants to imitate.

3. Amh

March 12, 2014 at 10:11 am

Beautiful write up. Love it.

4. iyke

March 12, 2014 at 10:14 am

The scary ones are the ones who form AmeriYoruba / Britigbo accent as soon as they visit Dubai and back. I honestly don’t know why Nigerians do this.
    Well, I have discovered through the well regarded process of living life…the importance of creating clarity in pursuit of a life uncluttered and harassed by rude influences…and distractions.

• memebaby

March 12, 2014 at 10:32 am

lolllll.. you killed me ..you are right though

• O

March 12, 2014 at 12:43 pm

lollllzzz…..as in some ppl dont need to go to UK or US to form accent. Ghana or Dubai is enough….some only need a visit to the airport and for some its when their friends based abroad visit, they quickly grab the person’s accent…

• Berry Dakara

March 12, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Hahahahahaha!

• Ruth Nandi

March 12, 2014 at 2:19 pm

LOL…nicely put. I honestly had this conversation in the morning before reading this article now. I asked my friend, “how can one come back from schooling in Malaysia or Cyprus with American or British accent”. I love the “AmeriYoruba/Britigbo” description.

5. Funmi

March 12, 2014 at 10:21 am

Hellooooo English is not our language remember…..British thought us to speak English so we have every right to copy, imitate and anticipate to speak like them and for your information even the British people when talking to foreigners also try to sound like them so they could understand. So my communication with an Indian bus driver will be different from the way I will talk to a Jamaican shop assistance

• Esquiress

March 12, 2014 at 11:14 am

I think the British also taught you to spell… A British person would speak slower to a foreigner to be better understood not change their accent

• Non professional opinion

March 12, 2014 at 12:02 pm

All the British people I know attempt to develop the “local” accent of where they are. It’s human nature to want to fit in and be understood.

• AA

March 12, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Taaa!!! Which British people try to speak like foreigners in order to be understood? I know for a fact that you just made that up. British people are proud of their accents, as proud as Americans are of theirs. It is foreigners with low-self esteem that try to imitate them. I have lived in NY for 15years and I love speaking with my Nigerian accent. It shows that I have a story to tell. Be proud of yourself dammit!!!

• Non professional opinion

March 12, 2014 at 9:06 pm

You know for a fact that I just made that up. How do people even develop your type of mentality. I won’t argue with you, as all your “facts” are clearly in place.
      TL:DR version, drop the complex and grow up.

• PurpleiciousBabe

May 24, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I agree with Non professional opinion that to an extent, some people with strong accents do tend to eliminate it in order to be easily understood.

Topics like this gets me to write an essay because it has many views to it.
      Having occupied various customer service roles, I tend to alter my tone, put on an accent to an extent to communicate or try to eliminate my watered down Nigerian accents. I feel much more comfortable, easily understood and better explained when I speak in such manner.
      Can you tell that am Nigerian or African? It depends, the underlyining tone is somewhat present depending on the pronunciation etc.
      I am proud of my watered down Nigerian/British accent(SouthEast to be precise).
      I can happily tone down the acquired accent when am with my own niaja pple and pick it up as I move into a different world. Sometimes am stuck in the middle, sometimes am stuck in Niaja but most times I mentally try to stay acquired.

I can accept someone that opts to speak differently as long as it sounds authentic enough(that itself is subjective).
      Speaking eloquently is far more important. Thanks to Mum certain words we pronounced whilst in Niaj then was different because Mum was ‘posh’ the madam of Enlgish lol..

There are people that opts to speak differently, I have nothing against them be it radio, TV presenters etc. What we fail to understand that such people do have a responsibility to speak in such tone I guess to come across differently and appeal to a wider audience. I am certain its part of the job description lol. In the UK, News casters/readers sound much more posh than the average person. So, it is OK for Nigerians News readers etc to speak with an acquired accent.

I will stop here. x

6. Vanessa

March 12, 2014 at 10:24 am

Samuel Okopi, I am officially in love with you. I can’t wait for you to woo me in whatever accent you have. Back to business now, I love foreign accents from foreigners. I think the black person is constantly trying to impress the White. They imitate them in everything. Whenever I want to listen to the radio, and the blacky starts with “wanna gonna”, I simply change station. One of our company lawyers stayed abroad for four years and came back with this thick American accent. He even raps his own dialect. One day, he was rapping that thing for my boss, and my boss told him, “You are embarrassing me with this your accent”. I laughed very hard. The accent issue is a stupid way of showing off. Speak the foreign language well but don’t grab the accent, especially when there is no need for it. Why will a black Naija-based, Naija-lived person speak like that to a fellow Nigerian living in the same town with you? Rap to the foreigners. I refuse to be colonized a second time.

7. sigh

March 12, 2014 at 10:29 am

love this article….
    Nigerians struggle in the pool of low self esteem… When a person has h-factor from Yoruba accent, they’re admonished, but from French accent, you are admired. Shame.

8. Changing Faces

March 12, 2014 at 10:31 am

My dear you can’t blame them. Our tv and radio obviously require some sort of accent to work with them; as long as it’s not Nigerian. Have u watched ELTV or listened to the beat 99.9? Don’t get me started on one Maria that hosts a morning show with Olisa.

I always wonder why brits and Americans who live in nigeria for many years do not pick up our accent, but it’s so easy for Nigerians who get their degrees abroad to pick up the accent and keep it forever.

• Jane Public

March 12, 2014 at 11:16 am

You pick up accents from interactions with people where you live. Many people can’t place my accent because I literally grew up everywhere, plus speaking different languages. Half the time, I don’t even think in English. The Brits and Americans don’t pick up the Nigerian accent because the people they interact with in Nigeria fake accents when speaking to them.

• yardie

March 12, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Seriously, Maria’s accent is way too much, its a tad embarrassing, i find myself tuning to another station when i hear her..

• Fashionista

March 12, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Beat 99.9fm is the absolute WORST!!!!! Between Maria in the morning, Toolz in the afternoon and Fade on the weekend abi whenever, I get a headache outright! I have essentially stopped tuning it. Toolz is even still manageable, the rest, hian!

• Amy

March 12, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Toolz was born and raised in the UK. She moved to Nigeria 4 yrs ago so I am not sure about your claim on her faking accent.

• Ikr. Maria was AWFUL as DJ Foxy in Shuga.

• Mrs Nwoke C

March 12, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Oh my goodness. U know I just spoke about this Maria lady 2 days ago. She makes me change d station in d morning. The FAKE accent just grates on my nerve and i feel like slapping d shit out of her mouth thru d radio. It is pure toture listening to her speak. At a point i thought she had some form of speech disability

9. Esquiress

March 12, 2014 at 10:34 am

OMG! So glad this has been brought up on BN.
    I mean it shocks and bothers me. Why can’t we just sound like us with our own accents?
    Bottom line is everyone has an accent especially in a foreign country. I work for an international bank and on my floor alone – the different accents is just beautiful and glittering example of the globalized world we live in. French, Italian, Greek, German, Zimbabwean? (spelling), then of course British and American amongst others.
    No pressure on anyone to mimic someone else.
    I am tired of hearing Nigerians in Nigeria who have never left the country speak in a terrible mix of accents – which they can’t keep consistent for obvious reasons.
    I had a Nigerian roommate during an internship year in NY who had done her Masters in Scotland speaking with an American accent. Naturally, the other roommates who were British came to me to ask how come the newbie had an American accent – I had to explain that I was as surprised and confused as they are.
    The mind truly boggles.
    I left Nigeria as a teenager and to be told my Igbo isn’t authentic sounding crushes my soul because I am proud of being able to speak my native tongue.
    Who cares what anyone sounds like as long as we understand each other – there is no reason for fake accents abeg.

10. MeMe

March 12, 2014 at 10:39 am

Great article. Funny thing is I have a British accent cos I’ve lived in the UK since I was 11, but I LOVE the Nigerian accent.. To me it has more character and expression and I don’t know why a lot of people don’t seem to carry it proudly. It is frustrating when I visit Nigeria and people try to speak to me in that made up foreign accent cos they assume I will understand them better… Which isn’t so… I’m usually just left confused and frustrated.

11. no heart to hate

March 12, 2014 at 10:40 am

hmmmmmm

12. Honestly

March 12, 2014 at 10:47 am

And then there are those who have lived in non-english speaking countries like Belgium, Holland Germany Spain etc and when they come home they start speaking with these American accents. I get so confused, angry and finally sad cos I just don’t get it.

• AA

March 12, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I know right!!! You lived in France but yet, all I hear is ” I wanna, gonna, gonna”. As in, where did that come from???

13. idoma chick

March 12, 2014 at 10:50 am

d most annoying ones r the tv n radio presenters speaking like aliens.its as if d criteria for getting d job is u must hv a foriegn accent.pls wat name can be given to mixture of american,british,italian,french,south african etc cos they switch frm one accent to anoda

14. Swiss

March 12, 2014 at 10:52 am

I had a friend who would say “fink” when he meant to say “think” and will turn right around and say “Je-nu-wary’ (january) in the thickest igbo accent; it was laughable. Then the other day someone typed “nuffink” (nothing) to me in a text, I was at a proper loss. We’ve all heard Brits like Adele (in particular) say think and it comes out as “fink” but if you ask her to spell the word I’m pretty sure it’ll be a TH not an F.
    If you’ve lived in England/US, its common to modify SOME of your pronunciations just so you can be understood in your common social circle (because that’s what communication is about) but to nearly chew your tongue even when its not necessary just reeks of insecurity. Then you have to wonder about the ones that come back from a stint in say Cambodia with an American accent. Can we as a nation collectively relax please?

15. Jane Public

March 12, 2014 at 11:02 am

The one that scares me the most and finds me pinching myself and quickly looking out of the window to remind myself if I am still in Nigeria or maybe “aliens” have transported me somewhere without my knowing is listening to the radio, watching Tv in Nigeria or even conversing with people, I find myself asking Janey, where are you again? I am well travelled for lots of reasons and also speak a multitude of languages. I smile when I am in Paris and hear that sophisticated parisien accent on the streets, or turn the TV on and hear that oh so distinct French accent, even on the rare English speaking stations. You go further North of Paris and the accent changes slightly. Wonderful. Totally love The English accent too, you go to England and you hear it on TV, radio, on the streets, you know you are in England. Go to South Africa, same, go to Australia, same. Can I mention I love the way Aussies speak. To Italy, you can hear that inflection in their accent. In the good ol’ US of A, you know you are in America. I worked in South East Asia for 2 years and I couldn’t get enough of that musical jumpy accent. Loads of countries to type, but you guys get the general gist. All that stops when you go to Nigeria and you wonder WHAT!!! On Tv, radio stations, amongst your friends that you left behind, who you know fully well have never stayed up to 6months outside of Nigeria, even the ones that lived there just for 1 or 2 year Masters degree, you think huh? What do you think you sound like. Even in Nigeria too, you can’t sound Nigerian? Gives me the creeps, espcially on the Island. The fakery there needs its own Zipcode. You only hear the Nigerian accent amongst the every day man on the street and I actually find conversing with them very interesting. The genuiness of the Nigerian inflection in their spoken tongue is so refreshing, even when you hear the odd grammatical error or mispronunciation of words, you are not even bugged by it. You understand each other, you guys are communicating, that’s what counts. My last trip home, I had such a huge laugh and very interesting convo with a roasted corn seller at the side of the road, while I was waiting for my corn. The people around her were just looking at us and probably wondering what this “ajebutter” was talking about with this woman. It was so heart warming to speak to a “normal” person without any airs or graces. I recanted my experience to some of my friends and they were looking at me like I had grown two heads. Jane, what would you and a “market woman” have to be talking about? I gave up. If you thought the British class system is bad, it has got nothing on the one in Nigeria.

• Bella

March 12, 2014 at 11:22 am

Oh Jane, you just made my day with that statement, the fakery there needs its own zipcode. Only in naija can we be so original and colourful. Personally I have given up on my people and the mixture of Jamican, British and American accents. Are we that unhappy and so judgemental of our own people that we have to imitate others? Since when did originality get out of style. Proudly Green and white any day.

• Oluwaferanmi

March 12, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I was trying to listen to newspaper review programme the other day on radio and all they had about three guys who were making all the effort to sound more American than the guys on CNN. Incidentally, the people who make the best contributions were the ones who talked with their normal Nigerian accent. I think its just a generation that was raised by American Pop culture and are too insecure about their Nigerianess. Don’t be surprised that they are the same people who force themselves to live in Lekki and they brag about how they don’t even go over the bridge, except when they are going to the airport.

16. Lolade

March 12, 2014 at 11:05 am

This is quite an intersting topic actually as i came to Nigeria for the first time in Dec i was born and bred in London, I stayed on the island and i frequently heard people talking in american/british accents its actually quite funny and embarassing pls stop it just makes people look silly be proud of Nigeria and its accent.

17. thatibigal

March 12, 2014 at 11:06 am

omg BN I love u soo much for bringing up this topic..the worse is our radio host especially toke..I have lived in uk for iover 5yrs and I still have my Nigerian accent but she came here just a year and speacks in what I will call fake british accent..why are nigerains like this? my fellow Africans still have their local accent yet igerians wana speak britico the moment they come here.

• Non professional opinion

March 12, 2014 at 12:00 pm

My “fake” accent is my nigerian accent. I put it on when I’m speaking to people in the market or people with a complex. When I speak to people in the market in what I believe to be a nigerian accent, they call me Oyinbo, but when I speak to people with a complex they tell me that I’m being ” real”. Our people are too funny!

18. Dr. N

March 12, 2014 at 11:11 am

You went there, lol. My cousin was in London for about 3 years. The girl he was ‘toasting’ was not impressed by his igbotic accent. Shortly after, an acquaintance came to squat with him, fresh from Naija, with a British accent. The girl was so enthralled! She couldn’t get enough of the squatter. Ended up breaking my dear cousin’s heart but not for the squatter.
    I truly love to hear foreign accents, they are so musical. But just make 1 grammatical error and I consign u to d league of pretenders! He that is down needs fear no fall. Really good article, quite balanced. drnsmusings.wordpress.com

• nike

March 12, 2014 at 2:13 pm

But Dr N. Anyone could make grammatic errors now. Even white people error. Thats got nothing to do with accents. another problem i have is people judging your intelligence by ur grammar. There are some intelligent people that cant speak good english.

• Dr. N

March 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I hope in their intelligence they try to improve their grammar. Not referring to the uneducated man on the street o! His intelligence has nothing to do with grammar. But u live in Naija, u have 3 accents and u keep telling me u just got back??? I expect d world of u

19. Motun

March 12, 2014 at 11:16 am

My question is, Do we Nigerians have an accent?

• Jane Public

March 12, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Yes there is a Nigerian accent, but it varies from region to region just like you have everywhere in the world. Coincidentally I just spoke to an American colleague now and she said she is from Boston. Immediately I said you don’t have a New England accent and she said yeah, she was very migratory during her early years (i can relate), so even though she is from Boston, she doesn’t have a Bostonian accent. Fair enough, but she still sounds American. Same with the English, Welsh, Geordie, Scouser, Scottish, Irish accent in GB. In France, the French accent varies by region, but when you are speaking to a French person you know he is French. Same with Indians too.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 12, 2014 at 1:25 pm

We do, you never really realize it until you live with foreigners. We also have very particular pronunciations of words (and that right there’s a prime example, hearing how we pronounce the word “pronunciation”) which often identifies us as Nigerians. I’ll always remember the story a friend shared about how she was talking to a colleague about “fuel” which she kept pronouncing as “fi-yu-el” and how the colleague kept looking confused and asking her what that was, until he sussed out she was talking about “fee-yool” (both words spelt to capture their separate meanings). She said she felt so ashamed and I said “for what? Ask him to pronounce ‘Ogbomosho’ “.

So, yes we have an indigenous accent and pattern of speech which announces our heritage and speaking personally (pun happily intended) I see nothing wrong with changing accents for different occasions. It’s common to go to Naija markets and switch to almost guttural pidgin because you’re trying to get a good deal but you polish it up when you’re talking to a snooty receptionist at an office in Regent Park because you want to keep her attitude in check (& truly, this matter of receptionists feeling like demi-gods is really a global phenomenon, no be only Naija wey dey suffer am).

I’m in love with musical accents which interestingly doesn’t include English or broad American accents, which I find quite bland. If you’re an English speaker, I pay attention if your accent is from North Britain – Liverpool, Newcastle, Scotland – or if you’re Irish or Aussie (ah mean, there’s a reason why Colin Farrell, Mel Gibson and Hugh Jackman are quite hot…).

If you’re not British, Irish or Scot and you’re a desirable male, then please woo me with the language of love in Ibibio, Dutch, Yoruba, Igala, French, Swiss, Twi, Senegalese, Bantu, Italian, Norwegian, etc. etc. etc. You get the picture. Saying that, I don’t have any liking for Asian accents but I probably haven’t heard them all…

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 12, 2014 at 1:47 pm

In that last paragraph, delete “Scot” and replace with “Aussie”. Typing error as Scots are Brits (for now, anyway)….

Atoke

March 12, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Welsh men can apply too yes?

Meanwhile, ask a Nigerian to pronounce ‘Omniscience’.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 12, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I used to attend a church in Parkview, Ikoyi when i was in school. There was this service where there was an interaction with the congregation and the mike was passed around. So the church is a mix of of a lot of political bigwigs, eminent judges, academics some Nollywood flavor, TV presenters and your usual posh families. Now the mike is passed to a very dark complexioned man with shiny gorimapa head who had raised his hand to make a comment. The first string of words that came out of his mouth caused some tittering/snickering and in some cases full blown laughter. The man spoke English with a distinct indigenous yoruba accent. Deep rich baritone with a mellifluous flow of honied tones. Chei! I fell in love. Ask me what he said till today, i have no idea, but tell me to describe how that voice made me feel i can tell you in a 100 different accents.

I noticed however that he receieved the loudest ovation after he finished speaking. It was probably overly enthusiastic to compensate for deriding who him because he did not speak Queen’s English with a foreign accent.

• Mrs Nwosu

March 12, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Mz socially akward you are so right youmkjow. Of course we have an accent. Like my brothers from calabar will say Abuya for Abuja as along as you understand what he or she is talking about, its all what commu ication is all about.

• TA

March 12, 2014 at 5:39 pm

@ Atoke,Lol! I agree with the Welsh thing… 🙂
      @ MzSA, To your list I will add,Spanish and South African accent (esp the Boers) but my personal favourite is still the Igbo accent! I am not from the Eastern part of Nigeria but i love all things Igbo. By the way,am still searching for an intelligent,hardworking,tall and muscular Igbo man complete with the ”nna’ accent… and when I say this,some folks go ‘babe your razness knows no bounds’.Ask them to define razz,*roll my eyes* Lol! I still dey find the Igbo man ooo! 🙂

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 12, 2014 at 10:27 pm

@TA & B&LB, it’s all about confidently deploying that accent whilst holding out himself as a self-assured intelligent “somebori”. Am I right or am I right? Yessir, a man (or woman’s) accent can’t be a barrier to love or career/social progress if you’re owning it with pride.

@Mrs Nwosu, hahaha, you wan make Calabar people vex? I no dey oh, we’re one Nigeria 🙂

@Atoke, can’t say I’ve had the pleasure… just yet. Why, does your recommendation come from personal experience? “Plix” share….

• Berry Dakara

March 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Yes we do. Igbos sound different, as do Yorubas, Deltans, Hausas, etc. I can even distinctly recognize an Ogoni accent.

• TA

March 12, 2014 at 5:16 pm

All humans who SPEAK in any language or languages,have an accent. Simply put an accent is a unique way of speaking. So,regardless of the language you speak or where you are from,you will speak with an accent. Even some persons who use sign language speak with an accent,yes its possible.
      PS: No accent is superior or inferior to another.

• MoD

March 12, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Exactly! There isn’t a Nigerian accent anymore…. I’ve lived most of my life in North London and when I come to naija I look forward to gisting and picking up a few naija slangs, especially pidgin but alas! All my friends are ‘spreeing’ Amerijandish!!

20. ceetoo

March 12, 2014 at 11:16 am

The worse one now is i see this happen in the work places, people that are able to make up these accents or speak with these accents are given more opportunities even when they are yam heads… vendors that have a phone speaking consultants with them are listened to more than those without. The “fing” just tire me. That might be what is driving some people really to pick up the accents so as to look good at work. Oh well… this too will pass (I hope)

21. pynk

March 12, 2014 at 11:37 am

My mom is American and has refused to listen to Nigerian radio because they confuse her.

Nigerians are one of the few people in the world who try to sound anything but Nigerian. I always smile when they interview many people’s from other countries and they are heavily accented and I find it beautiful.

22. wanday

March 12, 2014 at 11:51 am

There is no point forming fake accents. It irks me when folks put up phony accents in a bid to impress others. You will never hear a south african man trying to change the way he speaks so why aren’t nigerians proud of their accent. What’s important is to speak proper english eloquently. You will be amazed at the number of folks that know big words but murder these words by using them out of context. It’s always pleasant to hear a nigerian speak good english without forming and pronouncing words as they should be pronounced

23. Sweetiepie

March 12, 2014 at 11:55 am

Greaaaat article! I came to the US at 11 and even now in my mid-20s, i still have a Nigerian accent. It amuses the heck out of me when i see naija people who have been here for a yr or so forming up and down trying to impress. Or telling you that their accent changed because they live in the states, when i have friends who came here around the same age as me or much younger who still retained their accents. Then again, its always the ones that didn’t have much in the first place who always feel the need to overcompensate in order to feel worthy. I remember toke once getting mad when question about her accent, and then retorting; “am i supposed to sound like a savage”? I couldn’t shake that statement off, and everytime i see her, that comment rings loud in my ears. I truly felt bad for her and her need to be who she is not just to belong and feel “polished”. It is indeed a generational problem…especially this Nigerian generation. Anybody can watch American movies all damn day and practice and master the accent….but then what?? Does that fix ur glaring self-esteem issues? O di very unfortunate that we would rather bust our butts imitating other people who don’t even give two hoots about u, and constantly put down your own self.

• Jane Public

March 12, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Oh that statement rubbed me the wrong way. Am I supposed to sound like a savage. Talk about putting your entire foot in your mouth. That is what inferiority complex will do to you

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 12, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I was listening to radio show some years ago on 93.7fm around 11:00pm; it had Omalicha, Browney and one other lady. This third lady had a foreign accent, safe to restrict to the UK. In the course of a heated discussion, a fourth Nigerian accent came on and kept interrupting to give one opinion or the other. I thought it was an ad hoc guest come in, only for Toke Makinwa to realize that she had lost her accent and fumbled to get it back. To say that i was mortified is putting it mildly. That was the last time i ever listened to anything she was on.

• Jane Public

March 13, 2014 at 11:53 am

24. wanday

March 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm

@ motun, every nationality has a unique accent. Even within a country, different tribes have different accents. The hausa accent is quite distinct from the yoruba or igbo accent. It’s just that some accents are more pronounced than others

25. @edDREAMZ

March 12, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Checkout my best line “””””I am not ashamed to speak like a Nigerian among white folks.””””” this dude really hit the nail on the head….. So the british never say some words completely, never knew untill nw but after naija accent thats my best accent though.. I wish many of our nigerian celebrities could read this bcos most of them fake accent and failing to embrace our own and thats really degrading one’s self, well for me and me alone, naija accent for life…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

26. mo

March 12, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Seriously,I’m tired of this issues. I have a little sis in JSS3 who has never been out of this country and now she’s speaking some funny accent. I hear her insert Rs in words that have no R and I pull her ears and tell her to spell the word so I can know if their own dictionary spellings are different from the ones I learned in school. Is that what my family’s paying over a million naira per session on? Kai! I love my simple nigerian accent and the pronunciations I learned from our indegenous presenters on NTA and radio nigeria back then. God bless my teachers for not making us think fake accents were a good thing. I hardly listen to the radio again and I don’t watch most programs on tv because the female presenters keep speaking different accents. I’ll rather listen to programs presented in pidgin.

• mo

March 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm

These*

27. genevieve

March 12, 2014 at 12:20 pm

omg, i have been thinking of this accent issue too? why do people say a french /italian man speaking english with a french /italian accent sound sexy, but a yoruba or igbo etc doesn’t? the most thing for me is understanding the message being passed across. i don’t care about the accent. its more of a self-esteem / inferiority complex issue. oh lord how i suffered in secondary school(nigeria) because i apparently didn’t have a posh accent. smh infact let me send this post to some people (who bullied me because of my accent). i’m glad those dark days are over.

28. whocares

March 12, 2014 at 12:28 pm

The other day my friend and I were discussing nollywood movies, and I was making a joke about the BriticoAmericanh accents that they have going on for them.. They will tell you Chike travelled to the U.K for his education, and Chike will come back with an American accent. LOOL. I think it is normal for your accent to change if you have lived in a place for long enough, but that does not mean you don’t retain your initial accent from a place you spent the vast number of your growing years. Whenever I speak to people, they are usually aware that my accent is not quite British and I am proud of that. It is a good starting point for conversations and schooling them on my Nigerian origins.
    When I was in college and people tried to make fun of my accent (silly kids) I was quick to point out that my accent is a sign that I speak one more language better than they do, and have lived a fuller life than they have (and naturally that makes me more knowledgeable than they were :p) That shut them up.
    My cousin’s kid were born and raised in the UK, but they go to Nigeria for vacation. They have both Nigerian and British accent, and it is an unspoken rule between them that when they are at home, no one tries to speak “English” to the other. The amount of times I have heard “Mummy, Mariam is speaking English to me” yelled out by my very frustrated 5 year old baby cousin I cannot quantify. lool. The English they refer to is the British English that they break out when they go to school or “try to impress”. At home, it is proper Nigerian English.. The moral of this story? Even kids are aware, and kids that are usually so impressionable are picking up how to play the accent games. They know when their mummy is talking to an “Oyinbo” she puts on the accent, and that is what they copy now… Its the cycle.
    On the other side of things, you have people who wont accept that you don’t have a fully blown Nigerian accent, and will always think you are faking it. If you spend half of your life in one place, and the other half in another, is it not reasonable that your accent is just a confused juxtaposition of both places? For their benefit, I always pepper my statements with lots of Yoruba and exaggerations *sigh* navigating the waves of communication in this new world is a PAIN!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 12, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I’m laughing @ “Mummy, Mariam is speaking English to me”. Funny kids.

As per this transglobal communications issue, my sister, na continuous mental shift. Sometimes, I get to work and resolve mentally, “Right! I’m speaking in a Nigerian accent all day, if these oyibo people like make dem ask me ‘ehn? Sorry?’ ” but you automatically keep finding your accent changes as you continue communicating to a (mainly) European audience. Maybe “accent” isn’t really the term I’m going for, maybe I mean to say that inflections in how you pronounce certain words or make certain statements will become modified.

But then your phone rings and it’s a Naija pal on the other end and right there and then, your workmates hear you gisting in a completely different accent which makes you seem like a bit of a chameleon. Dem no go understand say na for the sake of avoiding the numerous “I’m sorry, what was that?” na im make you no fit use the same speaking style at work.

So, I think our switching between different modes of speech is to help us engage better with the majority of our given audience. Which makes it quite odd that OAP’s in Nigeria seem to be doing the opposite and alienating the majority of the public by speaking with an accent which only a minority of Nigerians can truly identify with.

• iyke

March 12, 2014 at 2:45 pm

lol @ “Mummy, Mariam is speaking English to me”.
      That expression is even better…two Nigerian kids returning from school last week, passed a white girl (same AGE) talking to her mom ….Confused at what she was saying, the little naija girl asked her sister what the white girl was saying….Elder sister, paused, not also understanding what the white girl was saying, just turned to her kid sister and said: ‘Don’t mind her, She (White Girl) IS SPEAKING OYIBO!
      I froze!

• whocares

March 12, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Inflection.. Yes, that is the right word for it. Certain pronunciations change. I am used to the “excuse me, what did you say” now.. It still irritates me sometimes especially when I know the person is trying to take the piss. I am terrible with accents so I don’t even bother with changing or conforming anymore, it is too much trouble. I once prank called my friend faking an Indian accent, it was a disaster.
      @speaking Oyinbo. LMAOOO.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 12, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Yepa!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 12, 2014 at 4:25 pm

@Iyke, but of course, na “Oyinbo” them suppose call wetin that l’il gal dey talk… Unless you want them to go fully Naija in their description and say that she was speaking “spree-spree” 😀

@whocares, my dear, na real taking the piss. Especially when you’re surrounded by people who have really thick accents themselves. I’ve come up with a tried and tested answer for the days when I’m in full-blown “PH conversational voice” mode and if I say something and someone claims not to have heard me properly, I just smile sweetly and answer “I’m sorry, I realize my accent may be a problem”. And it’s funny how they seem not to have heard the previous statement because of said accent but they have no problem hearing this particular statement and promptly shut it.

However, it’s an adversarial card and I try not to play it too often, especially in the workplace (let’s not ignite the “aggressive black female” stereotype, shall we?) and so instead try to compromise by pronouncing my words with particular emphasis, moderating my tone and slowing my speech.

The accent which ensues cannot be categorize as British by any stretch of the wildest imagination but if I use am gist with Naija folk, I’ll be asked why I’m speaking foneh. You simply can’t please everyone 🙂

• spicy

March 12, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Lol this also happens to me at work. My team members are a mixture of oyinbos and Asians, so when my fellow naija guy/girl happens to stop by my desk and I break out in my “naija” accent, as soon as they walk away, my team members turn to me like ” your African side just came out”….I actually lol at that all the time. So with me it’s a thing of switching back and forth depending on who my audience is.

• Non professional opinion

March 12, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Not only Nigerians do this. I overheard some Australian women speaking on the bus, when one of their kids piped up in pure britico to say ” mummy, why are you talking funny”. The mother answered in a BRITISH accent say “this is how people speak in Australia where mummy was born”.
      When I speak french, people initially think I’m francophone because I put effort into the accent as well as the vocabulary. I attempt to get the accent right in Yoruba but that is still a work in progress. At prep school we were taught Received Pronunciation, so no matter what part of the world you came from everyone had the same plummy accent.
      People are talking as if by virtue of nigerian blood it’s impossible to have an authentic foreign accent.
      Do you think Chiwetel is faking it. What about Seal or Tinie Tempah?
      When I was younger, and would visit, I was DESPERATE for a nigerian accent because the British one would invite hostility. I’m over that now, if my accent makes you cry, I will tune it all the way to balmoral.
      I’m not saying that there are no fake accents out there (hi Toks) , but some of the ire from the accent police is fueled by something less than kosher. Let’s address that.

29. Hitchick

March 12, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I think this is a non- issue. Speak in the way that pleases you the most – you- not the rest of the world.
    We are increasingly judgmental of the way others live. Where you have some difficulty understanding a third party, please ask them nicely to repeat themselves.

• whocares

March 12, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Amen to that!

• olori Tari

March 12, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Like Amen..preach sister. Why is this even bothering anyone ? Why are people bothered about who is acquiring accent or not ? I know sometimes, some people talk and I try to place a finger to where the accent is coming from, but then again…I quickly get back to my senses by asking myself “what do I need to know that for”, when it’s not that I still can’t hear what the person is saying. Even this so called British people change their accents depending on where they are, because of course they all don’t talk the same way.

• Hannah

March 12, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Double Amen to that.

• Changing Faces

March 12, 2014 at 3:07 pm

People express their opinions and they’re labeled judgmental. Did anyone label you for considering the topic a non issue?

• L'afrique

March 12, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Amen to this!

30. Chinma Eke

March 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Only in Nigeria is being unnatural celebrated and the public insulted.
    I am Igbo and can speak both Igbo and Yoruba like a native, and can also speak with a Nigerian flavoured English and I’m proud of it.
    Back to my opening statement; in a developed society, where the accents we copy are native, Toke Makinwa would have lost her job for referring to the Nigerian accent as ‘savage’, or at the very least be made to issue a public apology.

31. Igbeyinadun

March 12, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Wow! This guy spoke my mind!

32. ifydodo

March 12, 2014 at 1:18 pm

like the writer…i love the british accent! But it doesnt mean i should go all d way imitating the accent. So i met this seemingly good guy recently. He just relocated to Lagos after spending five years in DC and he went all americana accent on me on the first date. I was quick to point out that i have uncles that have been in the USA for about 40yrs but still speak english the Nigerian way. I lost all interest in him immediately. To make matters worse, nigger can’t speak yoruba well and i’m like “Are you not a yoruba boy born and bred in Lagos?”.
    people see it as a sort of prestige and its just total bs. Its simply points out that such a person has inferiority complex.
    You are african! Talk the way an african would and donot bite your tongue in an attempt to “feel among”. Afterall, Nigerian languages are said to be among the top sexiest languages in the world *winks*

33. Impeccable

March 12, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Good write-up. Very good topic and it’s a shame it’s an undeniable fact. Almost everyone is at it!

34. SmashingM

March 12, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Its mostly annoying when it comes from the media personalities. WTH!!!. Sometimes i sit in church and listen to the youth fellowship choir sings and i’m like, “are you praising God or showing off with fake American/British accents?

35. ajay

March 12, 2014 at 1:41 pm

thank you okopi for this article. I wish Nigerians will be proud of the language we speak. they forget that when we lose our language we lose a major part of our identity. the amazing thing about Nigerians using british and American accent is the way they swap it. I work in a multinational office. once its an American all my colleagues switch to speaking funny. it amazes me because the English I was taught in school did not need accents to be understood. just speak clean and clear English and you will be heard.

36. NaijaPikin

March 12, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I still believe your accent is defined when you learn how to speak a language. To be gracious, i’ll extend the age to about 10 years (cos you are still learning new vocabulary).

After that, I believe you are faking. It’s amazing how people live in naija all their life, travel to yankee for 1 yr and pick up an accent, move back to naija for 10 more years but they don’t repick the naija accent back.

I always say insecurities is what causes this nonsense. I have lived out of naija for about 14 years and still have the same accent. Yes certain words i pronounce different (Toe-meh-Toe vs. Toe-Mah-Toe) but my accent remains the same.

Be who you are unapologetically. TRYING TO BE SOMEONE ELSE IS A WASTE OF THE PERSON YOU ARE.

• nike

March 12, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Thats your own personal experience don’t think it should be a universal law. To each their own.

37. *Real* Nice Anon

March 12, 2014 at 3:15 pm

The BIGGEST fake accent I’ve ever heard from a radio presenter in Nigeria has got to be this nkapi on Magic FM Aba. I don’t even know who hired him but the British accent he puts on sounds like someone is killing him and he’s getting choked! It is so appalling and I always shut off the tunein app whenever his segment comes on.

38. Tru

March 12, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Good write-up Samuel, I agree with you on the whole fake accent thing, particularly when we say “innit” and “warer”. I have a few words on this issue.
    I was born and bred in Naij and my parents brought us up on books and never allowed us speak pidgin while growing up. They also encouraged us to watch programmes like Sesame street. The result, my siblings and i pronounce English words accurately. However, this had its own backlash in the neighbourhood and public secondary school where i was teased mercilessly for being “fake” and trying to “force the oyibo” (but honestly it wasn’t an American/British accent o, just correct pronunciation). Result, i had to try and “Nigerianise” my accent to get accepted. Fortunately, in university (still Nigeria) I met folks like me, who simply speak well with correct pronunciations with no foreign accent whatsoever and i got my groove back 😀
    Now, in my career, I can honestly say that the way I speak (still without American/British accent) has opened doors tremendously for me. The oyibos I have associated with say I speak differently and clearly.
    That said, i am totally, completely and shamelessly in love with the way educated black Brits speak; it’s just too darned sexy. The few holidays i’ve had in the UK have been spent in the hopeless pursuit of twisting my mouth and nose till I speak like they do! :p

39. Ibukun

March 12, 2014 at 4:55 pm

*sigh* I don’t speak with my Yoruba accent when I am talking to a white person, because I know the stress I put them through whenever the lady at the till or customer service tries to go all thick-ghetto-british accent on me. I go huh? what? pardon? sorry? can you say that again? sorry i didn’t get that… like 100 times and i say it with an attitude till they relax and communicate with me properly. So i take it upon myself as well, to communicate at the level of the person I am speaking to. when I am in Ondo state talking to Iya oniru, I speak straight conc Akure and i enjoy it. doesn’t mean i have to speak with an Akure accent to my lecturer, why will I wanna do that? and not speaking with an akure accent to my lecturer does not in anyway make me less proud of my Akure dialect/accent. I think a person’s communication skills and accent and gestures can be as fluid as possible, infact to me it’s a sign of mental freedom, it shows they are not too conservative to not understand its all about communication. I honestly wish i could speak 20 languages and mimick 40 accents (but Alas!, Yoruba, Akure and English…that’s all i’ve got). I make fun of people who don’t make any effort to improve their diction/vocabulary/accent all in the name of embracing their culture. You can sound educated at a seminar and gist in the thickest oyo to iya alagbado on your way home,why not?! biko it’s got nothing to do with national pride, you wanna talk about national pride?! we can be here all day. Meanwhile that Malaysian plane is still missing fa.

40. Ibukun

March 12, 2014 at 4:57 pm

@Tru I love you!!!!!!

41. Dee

March 12, 2014 at 6:36 pm

@Tru, i love you too….
    theres a difference btwn faking accents and pronouncing correctly….. i undastand perfectly what Tru is saying..jst like Niyola…she speaks soooo clearly and she has never been out of the country.. but then the rich Nigeria accent is sooo sweet to the ears…

42. Lady

March 13, 2014 at 6:25 am

When u are surrounded with people from different parts of the world, u tend to pick up a few things, I have lived with people from india, tanzania, the netherlands, colombia and france. You just have to do ALOT of adjusting in the way u speak and they also try to make the same concession… Then i come back to naija and go to one of the malls and everybody has a british/american accent -_-

43. Kelechi

March 14, 2014 at 12:51 am

Loved the article not only because its so great but because my former school mate wrote it! 🙂 By the way, the pic attached to the article is not his…just had to note that 🙂

44. Geebabe

March 14, 2014 at 8:56 am

The Nigerian accent was ranked the 5th sexiest in the world. http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-sexiest-accents-130333

45. Adeola abolaji

March 14, 2014 at 9:20 am

I have been pronouncing words like “te-ree” (3), Ooh-mini-sahyen-si (omniscience) ROTFL! Reading the various comments really made my day. I remember the suprise on my cousins face when I visited them in lagos for the first time (from Ilorin) and they couldn’t believe their ears! That my english could be that good ( rite prouniciations & inflections) after conversing with them with thick Ilorin accent. Yes! Naija get plenty accents. I still remember how hard I tried learning d ijaw language wn I served in Bayelsa state. @tru, I agree, good command of English open doors; it did for me too.

46. Cosmopolitan

March 15, 2014 at 12:38 am

Abegi…all these sociocultural issues sef. Anyone that wants to form “phoneh” should form. Just make sure the person you are speaking to understands every word you say. Shikenan! The phoneh no concern me at all. That one na the speaker wahala!

47. Dearie

March 15, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Nice article. But I think we’re being too hard on the OAPs, how about our Nigerian artistes? Or Nollywood actors? The artistes are just worse – hello Iceprince and co. Watch their interviews and you just tune off.
    But truth be told, it’s hard to get a job on radio or TV these days without an accent – borrowed or stolen, just find one. And that’s why such presenters get endorsements and attention every now and then. And that’s why every Tom, manliness and Harry wants to be an OAP these days. 10yrs ago, radio wasn’t this attractive but hey, that’s life.
    Only that way back, we looked up to radio and TV presenters and really wanted to speak like they did but now? Well, we want to be as glamorous as they are. Reason na reason ba?

48. Natanailu

March 28, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Okay, i hear you all. Nice Piece okopi. But i am almost sure the author did not write this to encourage unforgivable Hausa versions of English the use ‘Za’ instead of ‘the’ and Yoruba ‘heg’ instead of egg. It is cool to speak and pronounce words correctly, but true, Nigerians should lose the foreign accents, “particularly the forced…accent.” That’s just about it folks…

49. jirla

April 2, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Thank you jare! this part was heartbreaking…” it’s truly a sad thing to be judged by your natural accent and not by the weight of the words issuing from your mouth. It’s sad to have a well-educated lady somewhat ostracised because she has what we have gleefully termed ‘the H factor’. “

50. J

April 10, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I Thought the same way until couple of years ago when i started working in the United states, i used to say i’m proud of my ” clear Nigerian accent” alas i was shocked to find out it was “clear Nigerian accent” in Nigerian but not to a non native. By the way Americans loooove british accents, there is even a commercial of an American selling a product and he says “if you dont believe me listen to this guy with a british accent tell you it works” ( i guess you caught the underlining humor).
    As for me i am working on myself, i have joined toast masters to work on my public speaking skills, i even plan to consult with an accent coach (yes most countries have accent coaches) even Americans with deep indigenous accents patronize them especially if they are into public speaking or TV. They focus on a lot syllable pronounciation because like the coach says, speaking english is much more than getting the grammer right.(she had to consult with an accent coach herself when she went to france and had to do some public speaking)
    So you may see me on TV speaking “proper” and say why is she ‘forming””? No i am not ‘forming’ i just need to convey my message properly and accurately to my audience. Thank you.

51. Dr.

May 2, 2014 at 3:56 am

I am happy Nigerians have finally realized how fake they are.The world saw it for a long time but i guess it takes the owner to own up to its problems in order to fix it.

52. The Beautiful Eagle

August 7, 2014 at 10:50 am

Hi SAM *in my fake american accent* lol

53. Simply me

October 20, 2015 at 1:56 am

i like to believe that anyone who learns a foreign language should try to do it right.. English is a foreign language to us and it makes good sense to learn to speak it riight. If in the process, you aquire an accent,then it’s alright. How would you sound ‘the same’ when you say CRAYon and not crayON.? As you continue to ‘polish’ your spoken English ,I can assure you that you would start to sound different from everyone around you, even though you don’t exactly sound like a native-speaker of the language.. I lived abroad briefly and I fell in love with the way the English language can be improved upon. I have since then worked on myself so much that I have achieved what is termed ‘International Intelligibility”. It would be great to know that Nigerians are working on their spoken English and even French.

54. Ronette

August 7, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Can an american pick up nigeria accent if they live there for 10 years

55. Gilbert Avuglah

April 2, 2017 at 3:50 pm

better. but kidly gv us some more ways to speak dem dan de plenty articulated words