News

Watch Lupita Nyong’o’s Emotional Speech on Black Beauty at Essence Magazine’s Luncheon

DuJour Magazine Lupita Nyong'o December 2013 Cover - BellaNaija - December 2013005

You all loved Lupita Nyong’o‘s speech at Essence Magazine‘s 7th Annual Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon. You missed that? Hell no, click here

The African-American publication released the video yesterday and it is still giving us goosebumps.

Watch!

Photo Credit: DuJour Magazine

1. eve

March 4, 2014 at 10:39 am

snif… snif

2. kim

March 4, 2014 at 10:51 am

Amazing! SPEAK OF INTELLIGENCE

3. precious ngwenduna

March 4, 2014 at 11:13 am

Woow very power Lupita, i myself is dark skin too growing up pple used to call m names n that really brought my self esteem down bt i thank God growing so many pple used to tel m how beautiful i was. Later I started learning how to love myself for who i am. Growing up so many tyms I would wish i was like my younger sis who is light skin cos wen ever i would walk with her pple who say she is beautiful n am ugly cos of e color of my skin. In my teenage i was tempted to bleach my skin, i thank God i didn’t. These days it does not move me what pple sae about my complexion i am beautifully n wonderfully made. Thanks to you Lupita hope so many pple in Africa will Learn to love themselves for whom they r.

4. omada

March 4, 2014 at 11:35 am

Queen Lupita! Gosh….. I have no words. Everytime I hear her speak I am sufficiently slayed…

5. Eudora

March 4, 2014 at 11:44 am

We def can’t rely on how we look to sustain us

6. nonye

March 4, 2014 at 11:44 am

Dencia have you now seen that she didnt “come for you” (as you eloquently put it? The issue was on black beauty. Why Dencia would wake up and think that she is so important that a speech at an Essence event (where an audience that included the likes notable African and African American women like Oprah, Angela Basset et al) was focused on her throws me for a loop. She sells cream that lightens the skin – and seems to be making money from it and is happy – that’s it. No need to become a twitter thug when we all know she cant even “burst a grape”.

Lovely speech, the primary lesson to take being is that true beauty comes from inner compassion; less fuss should be made about shade or complexion.

• JT

March 4, 2014 at 7:37 pm

LMAOOOOOOO to burst a grape. You have me in stitches!!! ROLLLLLLLLINGGGGG

7. Sexxie

March 4, 2014 at 11:58 am

Still trying to figure out what magic Lupita’s hairstylist performs with her hair.

8. no heart to hate

March 4, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Her Hair-do is sometin else

9. @edDREAMZ

March 4, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Ok i luv this one speech…… But she is still…… (BN will not post my comment if i write what i want to write nw)…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Emirates

March 4, 2014 at 1:41 pm

You are one bitter, envious human being. Get a life seriously. No matter how she looks, you can never achieve what she has done in a zillion life times, cos you will still remain a bitter, non-progressive, empty person

10. iyke

March 4, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Not to digress from this wonderful, thought provoking, intelligent and inspiring speech from Lupita. However, I have been wondering,
    *Would she had won an OSCAR if 12 yrs a slave wasn’t a black themed mainstream movie that depicts Blacks as victims instead of Heroes?
    Will appreciate an objective answer.

• nonye

March 4, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Raging question since Sunday Iyke … but the thing is “the story of the victimized black man” is a part of history. Sad but true. The question regarding Lupita’s win I think should be “was her depiction of Patsey passionate and was it adequately conveyed”? And I think the answer is yes. She did a phenomenal job she evoked a strong response from everyone that watched it even though the story of the black slave is not a new one. Infact for that reason alone I think she deserves the award. Its a commonly told story but she still brought something fresh and new.

Its almost like saying that inspite of stellar performance at work you don’t deserve a performance bonus because your job has been executed by other people before you or because your job description is typical/nothing new

• iyke

March 4, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I have no doubt that her depiction/portrayal of her role was beyond doubt, excellent, to say the least…not questioning that to be honest. My question however bothers on the theme. Struggle and victimization as part of our history, sells a black story no doubt, but could she have won an Oscar if the theme was different from the thematic struggles and victimization of the black race?
      Ever wondered why most of the Oscars won by blacks were based on Black themed mainstream movies?
      I want to see Black Actor win an Oscar based on a contemporary theme and not one that tells a Black story.#Justsaying#

• Teni

March 4, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Denzel won an Oscar for Training Day. Halle won for Monster’s Ball which isn’t a black movie. Cuba for Jerry Maguire. Whopoie for Ghost… and there are others.

11. iyke

March 4, 2014 at 12:46 pm

And to Lupita, regardless of the obvious…with everything said… Your speech means the world to me…in spite of yourself…and others…or everyone else….

12. nonye

March 4, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Iyke – Denzel Washington for Training Day; Jamie Foxx for Ray; Forest Whitaker for Last King of Scotland; Cuba Gooding for Jerry McGuire, Morgan Freeman for Million Dollar Baby come to mind

• iyke

March 4, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Thanks Nonye on the OSCAR winners. That still hasn’t convinced me on the thematic issue in question.

• nonye

March 4, 2014 at 4:22 pm

LOL! You are just a “die-hard”

13. tobiloba

March 4, 2014 at 2:42 pm

thanks Lupita, the World needed to hear that speech.

14. www.plushstyles.co.uk

March 4, 2014 at 4:50 pm

LUPITA! what they said about her: plushstyles.co.uk/2014/02/style-icon-lupita-nyongo.html

15. Felinda1

March 4, 2014 at 5:26 pm

She makes us fall in love with her more and more and more and more and more. Gosh, even as a dark adult, I have learnt so much from this lady in the past few months than i have learnt in my entire life. So imagine what that lil girl somwhere is learning. To say i love lupita is an understatement. Shes God sent.

16. JT

March 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm

The girlll has depth abeg! As the saying goes… some people go to university and let education pass thru them. This one right here went thru school indeed, and didn’t just pass thru it. (hehehe… you will get this later if you have an IQ. :-p)

17. Voila

March 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm

@Felinda1….what you wrote gave me goose bumps…wow!!! I love Lupita …………..she is a breath of fresh air! God bless you Lupita!!!

18. NNENNE

March 5, 2014 at 1:32 am

Good to know. Thank God I never had issues with my brown skin.

19. Truth Teller

March 5, 2014 at 10:50 am

My goodness, I am one of her greatest fans! Love this woman.

20. Anne

March 12, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Black Beauty INDEED! I love her! Learn to appreciate what you are and what you have and be grateful for it! God bless you more Lupita!