News

BlackBerry to Stop Making Mobile Phones?

Blackberry to leave mobile phone market - Bella Naija

We may be saying farewell to BlackBerry phones soon.

“If I cannot make money on handsets, I will not be in the handset business,” said John Chen, CEO of BlackBerry Ltd.

In March, the company experienced a quarterly net loss of $423 million and a 64% drop on revenues, TIME reports. Shen says if BlackBerry does not start making adequate revenue soon, the company will consider exiting the mobile phone market.

In preparation for its potential departure from the handset industry, the company is increasingly starting to diversify its operations – focusing more on providing high-level security communications services as well as legal and financial services to regulated industries and governments around the world.

Hopefully, the company will start making money soon. It would be sad to see BlackBerry phones vanish forever.

Update:

CEO of BlackBerry Ltd John Chen, has released a statement refuting the report that the company may stop making mobile phones due to low revenue. Here’s what he said:

Yesterday, Reuters published an article  that said I would consider selling our Devices business. My comments were taken out of context.

I want to assure you that I have no intention of selling off or abandoning this business any time soon.‎ I know you still love your BlackBerry devices. I love them too and I know they created the foundation of this company. Our focus today is on finding a way to make this business profitable.

BlackBerry is not a handset-only company. We offer an end-to-end solution and devices are an important part of that equation. That’s why we’re complementing our Devices business with other revenue streams from enterprise services and software, to messaging. We’re also investing in emerging solutions such as Machine to Machine technologies that will help to power the backbone of the Internet of Things.

We will do everything in our power to continue to rebuild this business and deliver devices with the iconic keyboard and other features that you have come to expect from this brand.‎

Rest assured, we continue to fight. We have not given up and we are not leaving the Devices business.

Photo Credit: www.gizbot.com

1. mrs chidukane

April 10, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Please they should not stop oh!Their phones are so easy to use and browse with. Can’t let go of my blackberry

2. LISA

April 10, 2014 at 2:03 pm

***

3. itsbeenGod

April 10, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I saw this coming, same thing happened to simens,sonyerricsson but you enjoyed it why it lasted….techo and co spoilt market….

• Anon

April 10, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Siemens got swallowed up by Nokia and is now NSN while Sony is still very much around. The xperia phones and tablets are doing very well.

4. Fabulicious

April 10, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I knew it wasn’t long before this happens. Samsung is oppressing big time.

5. MartinJDub

April 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Sadly, John Chen was misquoted blogs.blackberry.com/2014/04/not-leaving-handsets/

6. @edDREAMZ

April 10, 2014 at 3:22 pm

This is a clear indication that everyone is time to shine… Sorry black berry….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

7. Nolan

April 28, 2014 at 2:22 am

I really hope that blackberry is able to recover even if they don’t recover completely. I myself didn’t think that blackberry was any good anymore and had been using iPhone for a number of years. However when my plan was over I decided to take the chance and switch back to blackberry and try out their new blackberry 10 phones. And I must say I was blown away by the level of polish and number if advancements made in this os. Personally I believe that blackberry 10 is easily the most advanced operating system on the market. I think that if people just gave bb10 a chance that they would be very impressed. And if you want a larger selection of apps than the blackberry world offers then download 1 mobile market from the Internet. It has all the android apps most of which are fully compatible with bb10. And if you don’t know how to allow sidloaddd apps go to settings, app manager, installing apps, and turn on allow apps from other sources.