News

Toke Makinwa Signs On for Maggi Campaign

Toke Makinwa - December 2013 - BellaNaija 06

A sweet new deal for Toke Makinwa.

The Nigerian media personality has signed on to be the new face of a campaign for Nestle Nigeria‘s stock cube brand Maggi. According to Nestle PR reps, Toke will front a campaign for Maggi for a duration of 3 months.

Although the company is yet to make an official statement, sources confirm to BellaNaija that it is indeed true. We are told it is quite lucrative.

In 2013, Toke was named one of the faces of Lipton Tea in 2013 and had a short gig with Chicken Republic.

Update
Reps for Maggi have clarified that Toke will be the face of a new Maggi campaign, however, she is not the brand ambassador for the flagship brand. There is speculation that Toke will be the brand ambassador for one of Maggi’s sub-brands i.e Maggi Chicken.

Media outlets reported that Tiwa Savage and Toolz were approached by the brand, however, reps for both stars emphatically denied the reports.

Photo Credit: Toke Makinwa Blog

1. Temi

April 7, 2014 at 1:52 am

She lost out to Toolz cuz Toolz hasn’t got the married woman status which the brand is associated with. That was the main reason.

• Stephanie

April 8, 2014 at 3:54 am

hmmmm…true sha
      blogsvila.blogspot.com

2. Omo Benue

April 7, 2014 at 2:18 am

But seriously tho….

3. Asgrl

April 7, 2014 at 2:27 am

But can they both actually cook?

4. LOLO

April 7, 2014 at 2:51 am

Toke is winning!!! So nice to see.

5. JT

April 7, 2014 at 4:15 am

o ga oooo…. these two?!?

6. Lobatan

April 7, 2014 at 4:54 am

toke is doing suck belle, lol. she looks crisp though

7. Fabulicious

April 7, 2014 at 7:20 am

Ding Ding Ding…congrats to them both.Critics,best believe Toke is going places.While you are busy buying the maggi and giving them reason to stay in the market.

8. Kaylah

April 7, 2014 at 8:19 am

Isn’t it morning in Jupiter? ed DREAMZ is not here yet. I’ll check back in a moment.

9. Hurperyearmie

April 7, 2014 at 8:49 am

congrats to them

10. Non professional opinion

April 7, 2014 at 8:52 am

It’s an odd choice because I wouldn’t associate either of them with cooking, but hustle na hustle so good for them I suppose.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

April 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Copy that.

11. Chi chi

April 7, 2014 at 9:33 am

@lolo,winning? maggi ambassador looool,what about Glo or MTN endorsement?

• Hannah

April 8, 2014 at 11:20 am

Chi chi , don’t be a dummy. you are laughing at maggi , DO u know maggi is from Nestle. Nestle is not a small company. the Kit kat that u eat, the milo, the nescafe, the nido, hot pockets pizza , …. i cant mention all. so don’t think nestle is one small thing. maggi is one of the biggest brands internationally ever. so shut up . its people like u that if they get a job in nestle, they will be rolling on the floor, or do you think they are paying Toke beans? you beta think well. dummy.

• Olulu

April 10, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Kai, true talk, but u harsh o!!!!

• Fashionista

April 16, 2014 at 1:56 pm

You have made excellent sense, but how far with calling her a “dummy” so many times na?!

12. Bee

April 7, 2014 at 9:43 am

This is pushed by money hungry managers. Can’t see any sensible brand manager sourcing these two to front their brand with the prodding of their agents. Certainly aren’t the most homely girls, always out on town eating food they didn’t cook.
    Such an odd choice, like getting a married Kim to front OXO cubes.

• Non professional opinion

April 7, 2014 at 10:32 am

This is what I’m talking about. It seems lazy on the part of the brand manager. “These girls are in the public eye…use them”. I can see someone like omotola being a better fit because she looks like she cooks, but I’m assuming they are trying to appeal to a younger demographic. Consumers aren’t stupid though, and beyond the hype of the launch, I doubt these campaigns are ever tested for effectiveness, and it’s not like maggi is suddenly going to stop selling so the girls might as well chop and clean mouth.

• Nnenna

April 7, 2014 at 10:59 am

I beg of you, please educate me on that “she cooks look”!-____- Does being a mother or being married automatically mean that you cook? I’m neither but I cook! Your name should be ” Ridiculous opinion” *palms face*

• Non professional opinion

April 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

I’m not judging by her face even if my comment gave you that impression. Both Toke and Tiwa live lives that might make it difficult to make cooking a priority. Let’s use toke as an example. If she is working on the radio, she has to leave early for a morning show, who is going to start pounding yam at 4am. She spends hours a day in hair and make up and meetings, tweeting, instagram etc. in the evening there is more hair and makeup to attend events. Her life is very fast paced so I imagine she is grabbing what’s convenient. Also on her social media feed she doesn’t share recipes or pictures of dishes she made, or even mention food (though I’m sure she will start now). In the social media age we live in, it’s easy to get an idea of a persons interest from what they share. Of course it doesn’t tell the full story, but when attaching a name to a brand it helps if that name has some connection to the product. Cooking is not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd thing that comes to mind when I think of Toke. I watched a few episodes of Omotolas reality show and when she was at home she always seemed to doing something in the kitchen hence “she LOOKS like she cooks”
      I’ve tried to “educate you”, but you came out of the gate being rude, so maybe you should get your manners in order, and then you can work on the rest of the stuff you don’t know.

• solucha

April 7, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Still not sure I get what you are trying to say @Non professional opinion. One does not have to be that interested in cooking to cook. I for example find cooking a chore. It doesnt mean I dont do it. How else am I going to feed myself especially if I want to remain healthy and not feast on junk food? It is a necessity for me rather than a hobby.
      Also, how are the lives of these girls more fast paced than the average working woman? say a banker with kids for example? I work 12 hour days with a three hour commute (round trip). I still find the time to cook for me. So like I said, still not sure how someone can look like they cook. I hope this was not an assumption that because these girls are ambitious and career driven they cannot be ‘homely’ as well. The two are not mutually exclusive as both fulfill and meet very different needs and i get rather fed up with people trying to fit people into one box or the other. I am not saying that this is what you are trying to do/say but it would make sense if you further clarified your position.

• mira

April 7, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I know what you mean. I think the people misunderstanding you don’t really understand branding. Nobody is saying Toke cannot cook definitively, but that’s not the first thing anyone associates her with bc it’s not her brand.
      If lolavita hair now said they wanted to use her, en-hen, you can use her. It’s not coz she is ambitious. Waje and Omawunmi are ambitious too and in the same media industry, but they would make a more likely fit.

• Zii

April 7, 2014 at 5:45 pm

My interpretation of ” she looks like she can cook” she is fat so she can cook. I never knew looks can tell of someone’s coooking skills. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

• Que.....glad to have my avatar back!

April 7, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Pls people, u can slice/dice the ‘looks n cooking’ sentence anyway u choose but quit trying to make d commenter seem like she was being judgemental…. this is a branding exercise for crying out loud….its about PERCEPTION….. of course looks might differ frm reality, but d fact is Kitchen does NOT come to mind when u think of these ladies! It is on dis same site pple ran Toke down over discussing ‘Relationship’ related issues, of course d wide PERCEPTION was that ‘…A woman who cant lock a man down after 11yrs cant give valid relationship advice…’ fastforward few months down, game’s changed n we’re here debating what looks have got to do with anything….. My dear that is d heart n soul of branding- what people see and believe they are getting by buying into your brand-and when I see Toke, cooking isnt on d list of top 10 things dat spring to mind! Shikena.

• slice

April 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm

it depends on what maggi wants them to sell. it may be a product that helps with fast cooking. I would think busy working women would be ideal for that representation. A “mummy” looking person or real serious cook may give the impression that the product is for real cooks. this product may be for those who don’t want to spend forevr in the kitchen

13. I see Toke and Tiwa as the kitchen type tho.
    mytestimonys.blogspot.com/

14. divame

April 7, 2014 at 10:46 am

go girls….busy doesn’t mean they don’t cook….ok bye

• Non professional opinion

April 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm

The question isn’t really “do they cook”. Let’s assume everyone does because everyone eats. It’s more a case of do I associate this persona with that.
      Toke for Lipton was a great idea, because you can imagine that early in the mornings while doing her radio show, she would need a nice pick me up, or winding down after a long night, soothing tea before bed. Even chicken republic was good because once again it’s convenient for a girl living a fast paced life.
      Kim and kortney kardashion just launched a kids line and despite the fact they BOTH have kids, Kourtneyis doing most of the publicity because mothering is what the public associates her with.
      I’m speaking about branding and public personas, but I suspect this is going to devolve into a conversation about married/unmarried/mothers/childless and the ability to cook in louboutins, full makeup and a wig.

• Jane Public

April 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Exactly, it is about image and what you associate with that person. Good example with the Omotola analogy, I am not even a fan of hers. This whole brand amabassador thing is now an industry joke. Same like Tiwa for a Petroleum company. I doubt they measure the effectiveness of these “ambassadorships” if that is even a word. They are just signing cheques. Someone like Dunni from Dooney’s Kitchen would probably cost less (no offence to Dunni) and would have more impact because that is what she is associated with. Maggi is missing the picture. I know many people who switched over to Knorr chicken cubes because of her. I bet Knorr isn’t paying her a dime. Now imagine her face on Maggi ads. I swear if that girl told me to sprinkle Maggi cubes over my bowl of cereal, I probably would do it. People will see you as a hater because that is the default answer if you say anything against Toke. I am surprised the word hasn’t come out. Her given this gig is somewhat laughable. What’s next, Banky W as the face of Pampers? Watch this space, it just might happen

• Non professional opinion

April 7, 2014 at 2:41 pm

@Janepublic “Bankyw as the face of Pampers” LMAO! You don crazst finish.
      I’m a Dooney fan too and I had someone like her in mind when I heard this. Maybe she doesn’t have the mass appeal of someone like Toke, but is Toke really famous with housewives outside lagos state.

• doll

April 7, 2014 at 2:59 pm

get a life already. oversabi. what is with the long epistle anyways? mscheww

• Jane Public

April 7, 2014 at 3:41 pm

It is true now. Nigeria is the one place the unimaginable is reality. Don’t say I didn’t tell you when you see the announcement. Dooney sure has mass appeal when it gets to food. Which other woman do you know that is influential food wise? Take a few minutes to think about it. The other two associated with Maggi and food are Toyin Lawani and the other woman who hosted the Maggi cooking show. Can’t remember her name now. Considering ads are now tailored towards the younger generation, as the older ones are now set in their ways and are rarely influenced, which young foodie person do you know who can influence you to buy a product – i thought that was what ads are all about. Toke has has mass appeal but in a totally different direction. Believe me, even the housewives in Lagos state will not buy Maggi because Toke is the new face. Same way they will not buy Koko garri. Whose genius idea was that anyway? Koko and garri don’t belong in the same sentence. It just conjurs the image of cheap, nasty garri served in Boarding School. They pay all these companies huge sums, I should know, my Uncle is a major player in the business and I wonder if it is not as tax rebate or something

• solucha

April 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Ok, I think I understand what you are trying to say a lot better now.

• slice

April 7, 2014 at 7:32 pm

JP, i like Dooney and appreciate her hustle. But mass appeal? don’t put the lady where she has not reached and subject her to slicing and dicing

• Non professional opinion

April 7, 2014 at 8:26 pm

@slice if it’s the angle you put forward, then yes it is very clever and a great match, so we will have to wait and see.
      @doll LMAO!!! Transparent ignoramus. Spend some time studying so that the intellect of others doesn’t intimidate you.

• J

April 8, 2014 at 6:14 am

+1 jare. Congrats to aunty Toke tho.
      This is just lazy marketing IMO. We use Knorr in my house and seeing aunt Toke as face of maggi won’t convince us to change that.

• Jane Public

April 9, 2014 at 10:32 am

@slice, i respect your comments but girl you are so off the mark with this one. Dunni doesn’t have mass appeal. Are you kidding? She’s young, she’s beautiful, she uber talented, she knows her stuff, many women way older cannot even cook like she does. When you think Nigerian food whose name comes out on top for most of us in our generation. Who makes Nigerian food exciting you will want to get into the kitchen and cook. Don’t be tripping dear. Like @Saint Tracy said below. Who will you buy Maggi from. Toke or Dooney.

15. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

April 7, 2014 at 10:48 am

hmmmm……dats all I’m going to say

16. Que.....glad to have my avatar back!

April 7, 2014 at 11:03 am

Ahn ahn, did Tiwa get dropped already??

17. Jo!

April 7, 2014 at 11:59 am

Tunde, shey you see what you’re causing? This babe is losing deals cos of you o

18. FunnyChick

April 7, 2014 at 3:41 pm

when i see black girls especially like Toke – it saddens me.
    Absolutely nothing natural about her looks
    The hair, the face, the pose with open mouth (what is that?sexy ko, sexy ni), I mean its so sad like She screaming “I want to look white”.
    Be your own self Toke, be a lil natural for once. You have a great personality, no need for doing the most. My goodness!!!

• Que.....glad to have my avatar back!

April 7, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Really??…..u brought this here?? Well while u’re at it, let me help u, there is nothing natural about Maggi, so its d perfect match….now go on n preach to Nestle….! #Next!

19. Miss Anonymous

April 7, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Whether or not she looks like the homely type, or whether or not some Brand Manager was being lazy, chic is smiling to the bank and doing something good for herself.
    Well done!

20. Rose

April 7, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Toke, comes off as superficial and probably thinks not cooking is a plus bcos it makes her look like she s “ajebutter”. And, probably thinks a man should serve u breakfast in bed, basically things she reads online. Tiwa, seems more down to earth, she might not know how to cook but she seems like a better fit. Toolz, is my girl anyday. Tunde, please put a ring on it. I dont want her losing out. I dey vex.

• slice

April 7, 2014 at 7:40 pm

what’s wrong with a man serving you breakfast in bed. o god.

• Rose

April 7, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Abeg, this is not time for feminist crap. I’m only referring to the unrealistic romance expectation people watch in movies or read online and expect it in reality. My point is, Toke comes off as someone wanting to live life based on movies. Where as Tiwa comes off as more down to earth and realistic.

• slice

April 8, 2014 at 1:50 pm

actually Rose that’s not the feminist in me. That’s the girl in me that allows a man take care of her. Guys like to love on us too.

21. Saint tracy

April 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Oya will u buy Maggie from toke or from donney? Brands r associated with personalities. If an athlete is a brand ambassador n takes drugs, n he’s caught, he is dropped, why? Cos u associated a brand with an individual. Will toke pack her hair to cook? Will she wear makeup n show us her hands when she’s putting d cube in d pot? Do dey cook at photoshoots? She’s very busy o, n cooking is nt part of it, if nt we would have known. Toke doesn’t hide what she likes.

22. Her Excellency!

April 7, 2014 at 11:21 pm

True talk @ Jane Public
    lol @ “I swear if that girl told me to sprinkle Maggi cubes over my bowl of cereal, I probably would do it.” on Dooneyskitchen comment.
    Me too l will, even if she says try putting maggi on ice-cream, l’ll try it ooo

So true @ “I know many people who switched over to Knorr chicken cubes because of her. I bet Knorr isn’t paying her a dime. ” l started having faith in knorr becos of her. l used to be a die-hard maggi person but l switched to Knorr cos l believe Dooney! And all of a sudden my soup is tasting different. (as if say na remote control she used on me)

• Jane Public

April 8, 2014 at 11:45 am

LMAO. Maggi on ice Cream. Shhhhhhhh don’t give her ideas o. The things that girl comes up with. I open her blog with bated breath at times. She never disappoints.

23. doll

April 7, 2014 at 11:22 pm

[email protected] Non professional opinion you wish you cn match me in terms of intellect…keep your oversabi epistle to yourself miss Brand manager. you obviously have too much time on your hands!

24. Ayomide

April 8, 2014 at 3:20 am

I remember vividly early last year on radio when a song titled “Tatashe” was played on Toke’s morning show and one of the sport guys asked her what was Tatashe and my dearest Toke answered it was the small very peppery rodo. The dj came on air and argued that it wasn’t, and tried describing it to her. 5minutes later she comes back on her and apologises that she was wrong and the dj was right. Now Maggi wants such a person to be a brand ambassador??? Epic failure! I don’t think they understand the dynamics of brand perception at all.

• Ayomide

April 8, 2014 at 3:22 am

*Air

• J

April 8, 2014 at 6:10 am

Looooool

25. Rose

April 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm

@slice

I like my man to take care of me too. But, i’m only referring to this situation. My statement is basically saying Toke doesnt seem like the type that enjoys cooking bcos she comes off superficial where she expects the man to cook for her all the time. Realistically speaking, most men dont cook or know how to cook or interested in doing it a lot. Instead of her actually cooking which is what this brand is about.

• Jo!

April 9, 2014 at 2:58 am

Na wa o. The way you talk ehn