News

Ibinabo Fiberesima: “I Am Not An Ex-Convict”, Calls Out Emeka Ike

BellaNaija.com

Ibinabo Fiberesima AGN Birthday Party - January 2013 - BellaNaija015
Ibinabo Fiberesima is defending herself against criticism of her tenure as AGN President.

In an interview with The Net Newspaper – out now, she speaks on the next election of the Actors Guild of Nigeria, Emeka Ike, rumours that she is using the office for personal gains and shutting down reports that she is an ex-convict.

In 2006, Ibinabo was arrested for the murder of a medical doctor Giwa Suraj. She spent three months and three days in prison, but is still appealing the case.

On the election that led to her winning not being free and fair: “That’s false. The elections were held in Lagos and every state was properly represented, although they voted by proxy, they sent in their votes and it was collated here in Lagos by AGNEC in the presence of the press, so there was no form of malpractice in anyway.”

On if there are financial rewards to her position: “Here is the secret. These people who call themselves conference of Chairmen, they are first of all, one person. They make letter heads with AGN of their state and go to the government and companies to seek for fund. These are things my administration seeks to end, which is why I have become an enemy. I do not exclude Emeka Ike from my list. I contested against Emeka Rollas and Steve Iboh, but Emeka Ike kept parading himself as the president just to gain attention. They go from one place to another claiming to be president. They say I am an ex-convict and charged me to court before and after the election but I won both times.”

On if she was convicted: “Yes, I was. I am not denying it but I was convicted for a traffic offence. Even the Nigerian constitution states that it is not criminal or fraudulent so I can hold public offices.”

On the death of the man: “It was involuntary. I didn’t go out of my way to kill someone. It was an accident and could have been me or anybody else. People have had accidents after me. What is painful is that these people are bringing up the pain and sadness in this case because of their own selfish reasons. Do you think they care about the family and the torture they went through back then. They don’t even know the pain the family will go through now that this has come up again.”

On if she is an ex-convict: “No. I am not an ex-convict.”

On defining and ex-convict: “I was charged. I am in court and I am appealing”

On defending not being an ex-convict: “No, because I came out on bail to appeal and I am appealing because the judgement was wrong.”

On what made the judgement wrong: “Why was I sentenced? Anyway, I have my own issue. That is between me and the court. I am appealing my conviction.”

To read more, pick up the new issue of The Net Newspaper.

1. deb

May 28, 2014 at 9:35 am

Convicted of a traffic offence, Ibinabo!!!. U where charged to court on an account of murder reduced to manslaughter on the plea of accident. Please don’t lie. U had claimed in another interview dat u were drunk dat day and you were reckless in your driving. I think you should have served a full jail term for man slaughter.

• Sola

June 2, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Thank you Deb. It’s really wicked of her to come out and say she was only convicted for a traffic offence. A traffic offence that took the life of someone!!! The only reason why she got her sentence reduced is because she knows all the big shots at the top. Which sentence even? Sentence that she only served 6 months during which she was going home and bringing gifts and food for the prisoners and prison wardens. Ibinabo you can escape justic here on earth but you can’t escape the justice of God!

2. Lois

May 28, 2014 at 9:36 am

Ooookay! Ibinabo just had visiting rights to the prison for 3 months. So she is not an ex-convict and oh! She can actually get a presidential pardon through the connections of her militant boyfriend. Well, we cannot rule-out the fact that she killed someone involuntarily. She was under the influence of alchohol while driving that horrific night.

3. deb

May 28, 2014 at 9:38 am

The issue cannnot be between you and the court, it will be between you and the law so tell us why you were sentenced. Maybe the case should be reopened by the Department of public. Prosecution and the family of the late DOC should seek full justice. Please just keep quiet about it.

• Sola

June 2, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Well done Deb! I think the case should be re-opened by the family since she is saying it is just a ‘Traffic Offence.

4. meddy

May 28, 2014 at 9:43 am

If you watch CI on Dstv ch 170/171. You would know you are lucky to be out of Prison. You were drunk and in that event killed an innocent man. But who are we to judge.

5. Bella

May 28, 2014 at 10:25 am

My sentiments are to the family that lost their innocent member due to reckless and selfish behaviour of one individual. whatever her case maybe, she will answer to God and her conscience and the family affected, what more can we say?

6. amaa

May 28, 2014 at 11:13 am

An Ex con is any one who is convicted of a crime and found guilty by a competent court. They person either pays a fine or serves out a jail sentence. IBINABO you are an EX CON traffic offence, manslaughter( which is reduced murder sentence for someone that un intentionally kills some else) all na crime. So please spare us the long story and park well

7. Olayemi

May 28, 2014 at 11:19 am

This is why one shouldn’t be in a hurry to hold public office. Enemies in high places. If this woman has a case with court, why dig it up to hurt the family of the doctor? Do we actually respect families that grief in this country? Ok, if the other old Aunty with sharp mouth becomes the president, will she turn water into wine in office? eissshhhh. Dirty politics.

• Sola

June 2, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Olayemi or Ibinabo take ya time o! Hian

8. Jane

May 28, 2014 at 11:38 am

Look at her silly mouth. You killed some one and yes you are an ex convict no matter how you want to paint it differently. Copy that!!! And its because of your drunken state and reckless driving, you have made a woman a widow, some children fatherless. Granting interview with reckless abandon as if you know what the law is.
    Do you know the pain that family is passing through? Its not for you to ask others this question, its actually for you to sit down and when not drinking, ask yourself that question. Have you ever gone back to that family? Have u seen those kids after you took their bread winner from them. Oh please Ibinabo say something else

9. ti

May 28, 2014 at 11:51 am

Dear ms Fiberesima, you may have gotten amnesia bout your vehicular manslaughter in the 2nd degree but believe nigerians, giwa family n lags haven’t. You killed a man while driving under the influnece of alcohol n you ddn’t deem it fit to go offer your condolence to the family, daniel wilson the car owner (which you drove) did on your behalf, that was what prompted the family to press charges against you, your blabbing bout the case got gov fashola involved. Inshort you were charged, found Guilty n Convicted n served time even if it was for months, the public defence office will always have a record of your conviction and time served so that makes you an Ex CONVICT!!!

10. Jane

May 28, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Bellanaija.com. You guys are now becoming political with comment. Were is the comment i made on this before? That one has been swept under the carpet i guess. Am sure that’s why you hardly get much comments on your posts like before, we are actually tired of saying something and its not posted.

11. @edDREAMZ

May 28, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Clarion don make this woman dey open her yansh any hw…. exconvict thats what she is abeg…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Sola

June 2, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Inshort, I’m now on Clarion Chukwura’s side full force. Clarion for AGN President come November.

12. NaijaPikin

May 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

This is what happens when people aren’t given the right consequences for their punishment. They suddenly develop amnesia…..Ibinabo, whether you like it or not, you are an Ex-Con…….If there was no judgement, what are you appealing then? Useless woman. I’m so pissed and disgusted.

My heart goes out to the family that lost of loved one. May his soul continue to RIP

13. nene

May 28, 2014 at 4:41 pm

youdonmeannit! look at this woman. i wish she was sent to jail. i think she was spared jail because she has 5 children no husband, hence no one to look after her kids. ibinabo deserves more than jail for all those people and families she has hurt on her carefree and fun-filled journey on this earth.

14. Dlapikin

May 28, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I was sorry when she was sent to jail, as much as I was sorry for the family bereaved but she just ticked me off with these comments. How insensitive!? Yes it could have happened to anyone, that is what made me sorry for you but how dare you standing there like you did not commit any crime? And talking about it like it is something trivial that just happened!? You picked a bottle, drunk and drove. It was your decision. Now that you are out and from your word the matter is not even settled, you should not have been out there contesting any position but you did . But not satisfied by the exceptional grace and sympathy you were welcomed with you are still out there picking fights and being cocky. You are not done with Ms Clarion that you are waking up Emeka Ike.. I hope for your own sake you can handle that one. If I was a relative of that man you killed, just reading this interview would set me on a media and judicial campaign against your butt.

15. Wale

May 29, 2014 at 9:30 am

This woman is a stupid fool. She reminds me of the Abacha daughter’s comment. Instead of her to keep her mouth shut. She killed a man because she was drunk while driving, was convicted and jailed for 39 days and released because she has good connections and she is trying to appeal the case. She is in fact an EXCON. If you have been convicted you are an exconvicted. She should keep her mouth shut, and show some remorse and sensitivity to the family of the man whose she has denied a life. So every time she wakas around Abuja borrowing money on “behalf” of AGN, she should be putting a percentage aside for the family of the poor man. Stupid woman.

16. Sola

June 2, 2014 at 11:57 am

Ibinabo, how can you stand there and equate what happened to a ‘Traffic Offence’? Yes, anyone can make a mistake but how dare you equate your drinking and killing someone to a mere traffic offence? Even if you were convicted for a traffic offence, it was whilst committing that offence that an innocent soul lost his life and if initially you were convicted of murder and you are appealing the conviction that still does not give you any right to stand there and say ‘You were only convicted of a traffic offence which is not a criminal offence. It’s really wicked of you to even say it. What of the family of the Doctor? Why do you always say things without thinking? Don’t try and defend the fact that you have a right to be the AGN president by denying the conviction Ibinabo. You were convicted of murder, you’re still appealing against that conviction. It has not been overruled so technically ‘YOU ARE A CONVICT AND HAVE BEEN CONVICTED OF MURDER’ end off. Until it is overruled you cannot deny it. Granted it was a mistake and one that no one prays happens to them but the fact still remains that someone lost their life as a result of your actions which occurred whilst you were under the influence of alcohol. You did not set out to kill the Doctor but you are responsible for your actions.

17. CHI

December 19, 2014 at 1:45 pm

All you haters let her be! She is feeling bad about it already.let her be!

18. Dave

March 17, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Thank God justice is now prevailing in our country.in a developed country such reckless woman like dt will still be in jail no matter how influence she is.this is a lesson across all d field n our political drunkard dt God will catch all of u one day.I pray God will back u up Mr Ike n give u wisdom to bring good impact n silence all those mafias.we love naija…voice from usa.