Events

“We Are Soldiers, We Choose to Fight”! Samira Sanusi Launches Sickle Cell Anaemia Inspired Book – “S is for Survivor”

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014031

Author Samira Haruna Sanusi has launched her new book – ‘S is for Survivor‘ which is based on Sickle Cell Anaemia. The book centers on Samira recounting her experiences with Sickle Cell Anaemia and her journey to the cure.

The intimate gathering at the Peniel Apartments in Abuja, had a high table with several people who have influenced Samira’s life in one way or the other like Alhaji Nu’uman Danbatta. The book was reviewed by Victor Anoliefe and stated that the S is for Survivor book paints a portrait of a “father who spent almost all his savings, a brother who allowed his bone marrow to be harvested, and a step-mother who defied the stereotype of an evil stepmother.”

Speaking on her book, Samira stated that “My book is a messenger of hope. When you read my book…most of all you will realize the power of God”. In her speech, Samira noted that she found a cure after at least 10 doctors gave upon her.

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014041

Samira Haruna Sanusi

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014042

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014045

Mustapha Gwary & Ahmad Abba Yusuf

Several members of the sickle cell community came out to support Samira’s book and foundation. Mohammed Nura (one of the patients), who came directly from the hospital to show his support, gave a stirring speech on Samira and his experience with Sickle Cell. Sickle cell is my blessing and my curse,” he said. He showed the same resilience that underlies Samira’s story, when he spoke the sentence that perhaps became the tagline of the night: “We are soldiers, we choose to fight.” And after sharing some of his tales from the battle field, Mohammed looked to the future: “I’ve learned to withstand the pain, but what about the 2 year old child that can’t tell his mother his eyes and arms are aching?” he urged.

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014013

Muhammad Nura Abdullahi

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014014 S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014015

After the launch, Samira shared her vision for the future – A Sickle Cell free generation of Nigerians. With their Samira Sanusi Sickle Cell Foundation (SSSCF) they aim to make bone marrow transplants accessible to the average Nigerian and to advocate for genotype testing and awareness to stop bringing Sickle Cell babies into the world.

See more photos from the event.

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014003

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014004

Samira Haruna Sanusi getting interviewed by Daily Trust

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014002

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014009

Hajiya Badiya Magaji Inuwa (President of Sickle Cell Patient Health Promotion Center, Kaduna)

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014006

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014007

Hadiza Raji & Maryam Sarki Ibrahim

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014010

Dr. Haroun Usman Sanusi

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014012 S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014011 S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014008

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014044

Victor Anoliefe (President of Abuja Literary Society) giving a book review

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014040 S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014039

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014038

Samira Haruna Sanusi, Dr. Kolapo Akinyemi, Alhaji Nu’uman Danbatta, Dr. Omar Faruk Ibrahim & Mr.Victor Anoliefe (President of the Abuja Literary Society)

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014016

Alhaji Nu’uman Danbatta (The chairman ), Hajiya Ammuna Lawan Ali (The Mother of the day) & Habibah Haruna Sanusi

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014018

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014017

Hajiya Ammuna Lawan Ali

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014019 S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014020

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014024

Najib Maiwada & the Author

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014021

Maaruf Sanusi

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014022

Zainab, Muhammad Sani and Maaruf Sanusi

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014023

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014025

Rahma Aliu, Amina Abdulhamid & Blessing Omakwu

Faiz Kabir & Muhammad Tijjani Ibrahim

Faiz Kabir & Muhammad Tijjani Ibrahim

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014028 S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014029

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014034

Amina Abdulrahman

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014033

Abubakar Ibrahim Bindawa

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014035 S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014032

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014030

Maryam Sarki Ibrahim, Samira Haruna Sanusi & Fatima Saadina Dantata

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014026

Alhaji Nu’uman Danbatta

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014027

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014037

Kamal Idris Rufai, Habibah Sanusi & Khadijah Sanusi

S is for Survivor Book Launch - BellaNaija - May2014036

Amina Abdulrahman, Habibah Sanusi & Khadijah Sanusi

To purchase the book please visit Salamander Cafe, Bujumbura Street off Libreville Street, Wuse 2, Abuja.

For more information on the SSSC Foundation, please send an email to [email protected] | Follow them on Twitter: @SSSCfoundation or @Saamira_S
_____________________________________________________________________
Sponsored Content

1. B

May 16, 2014 at 9:24 am

Inspiring!

• Urrah

September 11, 2016 at 9:07 am

I think we should leave sentiment out of survival, sickle cell is said to be scientifically incurable but miraculousy it have become a thing of joy to know that the one time killer sickness is being heal on daily basis by pastors in Nigeria. I use this medium to encouraged all that are stickler to endeavour to to men of God like Prophet TB Joshua see that God is still in the business of heallinh those that believe in miracle.

2. BeautyGeekng.com

May 16, 2014 at 9:29 am

This is so wonderful and thoughtful

3. Kev

May 16, 2014 at 11:40 am

This is so inspiring and a good put into the society. Fortunately, as a sickle cell survivor, my experience has thought me that our survival is more psychological then the painful episode we experience. I grew up to have a mind-set that this condition won’t vanquish me in spite of how my society at my early age kind displayed some form of prejudice. I have a good life now. Thanks to God and my first-rate parents and kind friends who always stood by me during those times. I am now working on something bigger to encourage the sickle cell kids who her helpless and parents who can’t afford the medical expenses that comes with catering for theirs. It’s truly a fight for survival with the haematological disorder Sickle Cell Anaemia.

4. Dooshima Dapo-Oyewole

May 16, 2014 at 11:58 am

Way to go Samira!!

5. @edDREAMZ

May 16, 2014 at 12:39 pm

God bless yu mam…. Inspiring…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

6. AAsh

May 16, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Really Inspiring……….may GOD keep all SS-folks strong and healthy………I have some SS-folks around me and I get really scared during their crisis…..the pain they go through aint [email protected]
    m/while………..how wld I tell my best-friend that I don’t support her relationship ços herself and le-boo are AS, so there’s a possibility of having a future offspring that’s SS.

• Dr. N

May 17, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Pls link her with this lady. People with d condition are better advisers. If u talk, they’ll label u a hater. It’s true some ppl get away wt it but, d % is so low. Some friends of mine who are both carriers just got married. Everyone is holding their breath for them. drnsmusings.wordpress.com

• Samira Sanusi sickle Cell Foundation

May 18, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Hello AAsh,

As a best friend you have the duty to tell her the truth and she will hate you for it but it’s better to be hated for the truth rather than supporting her on a bad decision. I know just how unimaginable it is, trust me. But won’t be doing her any favours by keeping mum. You may introduce her to us for support. Please get in touch via any of our contact for help/guidance on how you can approach the situation: goal is not to destroy your beautiful relationship you two have.

Thank you.
      Team SSSCFOUNDATION.

7. Jo

May 16, 2014 at 1:13 pm

That’s my girl!!!! So proud of you my love!

8. O

May 16, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I see u ..Ameenah my darling AKA yarinya. Miss u o jare… Samira..GOD bless you. You are Courageous.

9. Fola

May 16, 2014 at 2:28 pm

God bless her much.
    I had a brother-sufferer who eventually died @ 21. I can still feel the pain.

10. Jojo

May 16, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Good good. I know a quite a few survivors using the bone marrow method. good luck and God bless

11. e-bukun

May 16, 2014 at 5:53 pm

This is such a great effort. What also occurred to me is that great things can happen when you educate the girl child, and give her room to live her life fully. #rememberourgirls #bbog

12. quine

May 16, 2014 at 6:16 pm

God will continue to bless u for this program and keep all my survival folks. Amen

13. dolly pee

May 17, 2014 at 12:05 am

Whao……..I ve a frnd/sister suffering 4rm ds n has bin in d hospital since February, she wz just discharged on mon all I pray 4 daily is dt God heal her completely n I am definitely getting her a copy of ds book……..to the author I salute ur courage n fighting spirit n 2 all sickle cell patients out dia may God give u d grace 2 fight ds battle n WIN!!!!!!!!

14. Dee one

May 17, 2014 at 1:50 am

BN please check the first line and correct the title to “S for Survivor” and not “S for Samira”.

15. Sticky

May 17, 2014 at 7:28 am

Nice work. But next time make it everybody’s affair, it’s not only children of northerners that are anemic . From the pics, all I see is 95% hijab, flowing robes and pointy hula hats. This is wrong in a country struggling to salvage it’s unity.

• slimy

May 17, 2014 at 3:03 pm

@sticky i think it was an open and extended invitation, sorry if it didn’t get to you. the book and speeches are there for those “non-notherners” to be involved too and yes its a country trying to salvage unity so if you know of sufferer of this disease hook them up! uv heard about it already help be an active player in salvaging that unity. #OneNigeria

16. Samira Sanusi sickle Cell Foundation

May 18, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Hello all,
    Please forward your questions, inquiries and or comments to us directly.
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 07062213039
    Bbpin: 2AEAA15A

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

17. Shamsuddeen Babajo Sani

July 27, 2015 at 2:31 pm

This is inspiring, Samira has showed us the way! I am AS, yet experiencing the crisis, the thing has affected my right leg. But Glory be Allah Almighty for making me strong enough to stand the pains all the time.

18. fadila Abba

April 28, 2016 at 10:57 am

Alhamdulillah, Samira u r first sickler known to me that got healed,this is a relief, it encourages me at least there is sum1 that won the battle of sickle cell disease. …..am a sickler