Career

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Loses Out to Irish Writer for Bailey’s Women’s Prize for Fiction

BellaNaija.com

chimamanda-web
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has lost out to Irish writer Eimear McBride in the Bailey’s Women’s Prize for Fiction competition.

If you recall, BN informed you that the Nigerian author’s novel – Americanah was shortlisted for the award which honours works by women written in English.

Chimamanda was the only Nigerian and African to make the list.

A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com

Eimerar McBride’s “A Girl is a Half-formed Thing” won the coveted award, which comes with a prize of 30,000 pounds or $50,000.

Chimamanda previously won the award, which was formerly known as Orange Prize, in 2007 for Half of a Yellow Sun.

1. @edDREAMZ

June 9, 2014 at 6:05 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Am really happy she even make the list, atlist thats one big achievement judging she is the only african that made the list…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

2. me2me

June 9, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I wonder why I’m happy….. Evilz

• SOLO ACT

June 9, 2014 at 8:49 pm

me too right lol! i have had enough of this woman! she would say anything and everything to be relevant. she is all talk no action! she is no hilary clinton!

• onyi

June 9, 2014 at 10:08 pm

no shez not, but she was the only Nigerian and African on that list… the least you can do is not comment or be happy for her but saying “shez no hilary clinton” …just shows how we Nigerians appreciate our own… weldone chimamanda, to be nominated is something, more power to you

• One mic

June 9, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Hahahahah,at least she’s relevant.please what have you done o..we are waiting for ur ‘solo act ass’

• Nuna

June 10, 2014 at 7:21 am

At least she’s on an internationally recognized list. And she has won the prize before. How many lists or prizes have you won? Smh!!!

• chimamanda ninja

June 10, 2014 at 12:12 pm

and that is how people will remain happy at your losses. meanwhile she stays winning!

3. newbie

June 9, 2014 at 10:41 pm

‘A Girl Is A Half-formed Thing’…sounds interesting. Off to look for it on Amazon-hope I don’t get disappointed like I did with Taiye Selasi’s Ghana Must Go. Sounded interesting but bored me to tears.

4. Blackberry

June 9, 2014 at 10:48 pm

“Our own” “my tribes person” is our major flaw as Nigerians. Anything contrary and u r hating. Merit and competency takes a back seat so long as it is “our own”. She has done well, been recognized for her work, still, I think she is overrated.

5. NNENNE

June 9, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Congratulations Ms. McBride and Adichie. You guys make me proud to answer woman.
    Thank you Lord, for giving me the heart to love the good in other people!
    Chimamanda, your best is yet to come. You will live up to your name,” My God will never fail.” Amen.

6. ivie

June 9, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Go chimamanda….still an achievement to be nominated on such prize list. Congratulations !!!

7. Jo