News

Isio Knows Better: Spere-Spere English

I sincerely lay no claims to being more knowledgeable than anyone, but I do confess that I know better than I did yesterday, last year and a decade ago.

Isio Knows Better is an attempt to capture the shocking and highly entertaining conversation within myself. The conversations between my mind (the sharp witty one), my soul (the lover and the spiritual one) and my body (the playful one concerned with the more mundane things of life). She is the eternal referee between the caustic mind and the sensitive soul. This is Isio. So, here’s to making private conversations public.

Enjoy!

***

So, this happened last weekend. I had gone to a basketball game to watch my friend play. I was seated in the corner (like a good girl) just watching silently. It would seem to an onlooker that I was deeply engrossed in the game, but my mind was harassing me (again). She wailed about me making her watch grown men in baggy shorts run haphazardly within a court – only to take comical leaps to slam a poor ball into a hanging net.
I ignored her and tried to refocus on the game. It was quite enjoyable to watch, and I was having a good enough time. A good time truly, but not quite as good a time as I would have had, had I been watching American football which is a personal favorite of mine, not because I particularly understand the game, but simply because it fills me some perverse amusement to see grown men run around in really skin-tight tights. Something like seeing Spartacus run around in spanx. I tell you… it is VERY enjoyable to watch. I spend the entire duration of the game wide-eyed and giggling like a rabbit high on sugar.
‘‘Naughty, naughty you,’’ I admonished myself as I went even further and envisioned Spartacus in tights. It was a deliciously wicked thought, and the image made me chuckle out loud.
I didn’t realize I had attracted attention, till I saw the guy next to me beaming at me. Waowww, he was kinda cute. I quickly turned my eyes away from him (bad habit, I know. I always worry about people reading my eyes… that whole the eyes are the windows to the soul thing). But somehow, somewhere, one measly second of eye contact must mean invitation to this guy, as he slid over like Michael Jackson on a bench and then said to me…
“Hey, wassup gyal? Is like yuu live around here yah? Yeah mehn, dazz mai ‘ood rai de mehn, yuu dig? Waow, so buriffful. I wanna gerra know yuu berra.”
This was what I heard…
“Gbosa gbosa gbosa yam yam yam wanna-gonna-canna, piam piam piam.. *insert mosquito buzzing sound for good measure* gbishaun!”
I winced and grimaced a silent “Why me Lord?” to the heavens. I sighed heavily, in advance of the coming moments I knew I would have to endure so as not to be considered rude and/or bruise his ego.
Unperturbed, he broke into my thoughts and continued, “So wha’chu say, yo? Yuu gonna come haff sum ber-be-kiew (barbecue) ribs wiff mi en mah niggz lay-ra on?”
I swear, I really tried to speak, but all I could do was manage to squint my eyes at his moving mouth and grimace. He was such a handsome fellow, I didn’t understand how he couldn’t understand how thoroughly he was ruining the experience of him with each mangled word that fell from his beautiful mouth. Each brutalized English word was like a bazooka fired at close range at my face.
All these boys… trying to toast someone with spere-spere English. It is not necessary o. just speak. Walahi, this American-Nigerian- BET inspired English can sound irritating at times.
Wanna-gerra-gonna-comma-berra. Odiegwu.
Seriously, how in the world can anyone think speaking like that is better than a clean and clear Nigerian accent? I am floored that anyone would think this way. Is something wrong with our generation?
I am not talking about having lived abroad and acquiring some kind of accent. That’s fine and probable. Heck, you can adapt your speech pattern and inflection to your favorite movie star, that’s also fine, as long as you speak properly. But you shouldn’t trade your clean and clear Nigerian accent for a mangled version of thick naija flavored hip-hop-Americana English. It is so unsexy. And this guy even made it worse; he kept swinging his arms and gesticulating wildly like he was rapping.
Na wa o.
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with having a Nigerian accent. In fact, I find the accent of a refined Hausa man very sexy. (Emphasis on REFINED please). I love the way it glides and rolls off their tongues. It is not just the Hausa accent. I love the way Femi Kuti speaks and the way Prof. Wole Soyinka speaks. There is something rich, earthy and peculiar about the way we mouth our words. It is true that education and exposure can influence a person’s manner of speaking, but in communication, the importance of clarity and articulation cannot be over emphasized.
Unlike Mr Fine-Mouth-Bazooka-English.
Apparently one of the players had done something he disagreed with so his attention was turned away from me (Thank you Jesus!) He was just talking loudly with his spere-spere English. Gesticulating with his hip-hop moves with his arms…
The game continued. I had managed to secure a decent enough space between me and Coach Berra-Wanna, formerly known as Mr Fine-Mouth-Bazooka-English.
My eyes caught that of my friend on the court. He waved at me, I smiled and waved back. I was happy again.
And so my mind drifted deliciously back to more pressing issues; like creating the image of a modern Spartacus in spanx. And I have to say, he was magnificent. Like this kind of magnificent:

Have a blessed Tuesday my lovelies!
Photo Credit:  http://www.pinterest.com/jirouco/pins/

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Isio Wanogho is a top-model, TV Personality and entrepreneur. She is conversant in five languages and has 12 years of experience in the Nigerian entertainment industry. Isio, popularly known by her brand name Isio De-laVega, captivates audiences with her signature wide smile and relatable, quirky personality which endears her to many. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @isiodelavega

1. I scream

June 10, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Kai, Isio!! I have been refreshing and refreshing ds page waiting for ur article. Lemme go back n read

2. Ginika

June 10, 2014 at 3:19 pm

ROTFL! Good one *spere-spere* English

3. Lmao

June 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm

HELP ME TELL THEM OOOOOOOOOO!

4. Sisieko

June 10, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Chienke see man o!!!!! The face does not match the body (which only makes him sexier).

5. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

June 10, 2014 at 3:27 pm

“I find the accent of a refined Hausa man very sexy”
    Lordy, Lorrdy Lorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdy!
    Forgive me father for I have really sinned.

• TA

June 10, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Co-sign.
      For all have sinned…

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

June 10, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Ha ha!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

June 10, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Totally off-topic… but I digested (with great pleasure) a comment you made yesterday, where you ruminated on a couple of things other than the 9-5 debate. Do not ever decide to stop writing, that skill you have is som’n special. Enough said.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

June 10, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Thank you, to you and @TA. That’s all I can say. Thank you.

• Idak

June 10, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Even as a guy, I find it cute.
      At the risk of 14 years, I just did not want that CBN wahala to end. Hearing SLS talk on TV was such a refreshing breath of fresh air. Kai, the man’s voice is sexy sha!

• uuuwwwiii

June 10, 2014 at 8:06 pm

@ Idak I totally agree with you!!!!! SLS (sorry I mean HRH the new Emir’s) voice is soooooo refined & sexy….and I am female, it is a complete turn on. I guess he’s going to get all the girls in his emirate now…lol

• Warri Babe

June 11, 2014 at 8:27 am

Hahhahhahaahhaha , rotfl…#I just can’t

• Ada Nnewi

June 11, 2014 at 8:37 am

My subconscious just stares dreamily at those refined Hausa dudes when they speak..I see things whenever lamido sanusi speaks…they the younger ones have that sexy drawl that just lights me up from the inside,,,

6. some hater

June 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm

lmao!!! omg!!! that’s so IJGBs mehn! cant stand them (>_<). Like seriously do you know how sexy an educated Nigerian accent is? please guys stop the gonna berra wanna something-nna english. its not a panty dropper unless you're toasting all these bush low self esteem girls then you're good. Nice one Isio!

• Idak

June 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Not only guys. The secretary in my office has this lousy accent that she puts up when speaking to our colleagues overseas. Kai, see accent! Even Toke will be embarrassed on her behalf.

• Happy child

June 11, 2014 at 12:40 am

Brother Idak, did you have to call names…… free sisi T.

7. www.eniwealth79.blogspot.com

June 10, 2014 at 3:34 pm

LMAO! What if he splashed saliva everywhere while wanna gonna comma warram-ing? pele

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

June 10, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Madre de Dois! Why, why, why did you go there?!!

8. Nuna

June 10, 2014 at 3:36 pm

All I find myself typing on BN today is
    JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL!!!!!That man foooooooiiiine
    *faints*

9. Jay

June 10, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Thank you for posting this.. seriously, the fake accents does my head in. Nigerian accent isnt bad! i live in the uk and i met a lady recently who commended my naija accent and did say you speak very good english! our spoken english is much better that those of most oyinbos sef who keep using “was” when they should use “is”!
    A guy i know, has a fake american accent.. we once asked him how he got it and he said he had a ghanian teacher in primary school.. he then mixes the american and british accent. most people cant even differentiate , they mix both! SMH

10. +Rare Gem+

June 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Rotflol! Just be yourself and talk through ur mouth not through ur nose. Ur foreign accent will not credit my account automatically so save it Mr/Mrs/Miss Wanna, berra, gotta…
    The Nigerian accent is sexy so dont put in extra effort.

11. Mz Socially Awkward...

June 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm

All I have to say regarding this post is this – Isio, you are quite hot. That photo is very much on point. That is all.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

June 10, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Before I committed sinnery, when I saw the picture, all I thought was Dayyunm!!!.

• Isio De-laVega

June 11, 2014 at 3:54 am

Awwwww, thank you MSA!
      *blushes*

12. Loulou

June 10, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Its really annoying i tell u,you will want someone to accept you for who you are and you are coming across as fake,wanna gonna rubbish. I am happy u ran from him jare Isio…

13. [email protected]

June 10, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Isio no go kill person with laughter! But this is a serious matter, its so annoying to listen to! The security adviser in my office…….his is a mixture of naija -americana, naija- british, naija-Jamaican and naija- any accent he fancies at that moment. Most times people cant follow his line of thought in conversations because they are distracted by his many accents. Oh and he feels and acts like he is God’s best gift to humanity.

14. Dolly

June 10, 2014 at 3:57 pm

First time reading Isio’s article….brilliant!!!
    Ok i have to say, i was excited at the part “Not people who have lived abroad” and then you dropped “probable”. Yes i agree, but truth is you cant live at a place for over 5years and not sound a lil’ close to the people around you.

I get miffed sometimes with Nigerians questioning someone’s accent, when its clear the person has lived outside Nigeria for so many years. However i do agree ‘enunciation’ is important especially if you weren’t raised in a foreign country. Thing is picking up accent can mess up diction and to speak good English (IMO) is to communicate clearly and maybe eloquently.

Now what i find disturbing when i speak to some of my ‘toasters’ (lol) back in Nigeria who has never stepped out of the country for a day is the gonna, wonna, warra syndrome. Its funny coz just like Isio, I ‘d hate to bruise their ego but its just damn obnoxious.

How do you sound British, American, Portuguese and Igbo at thesame freaking time?

• mee

June 11, 2014 at 12:30 am

Dolly, I think it depends on what age you relocated abroad. If at a much younger age, then your accent will probably change in a few years but moving abroad in your 20s? After your Nigerian accent is SET? I doubt if you will fully pick that foreign accent…some of your pronunciations and inflections may change but for the most part, your Nigerian accent should stick!

• Dolly

June 11, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Right and that’s what i stressed out by saying you will start to sound closely to people around you. Of course you never have that solid foreign accent if you relocated in your twenties but your change in pronunciations will automatically have the obsessed-accent-detector- Nigerians poke nose and shrug.
      What i do hate tho is forced accent like you got tooth pick stuck in between your gums.

15. @edDREAMZ

June 10, 2014 at 3:58 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Lmao… lovely post no doubt plus she is so beautifull on that first pic….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

16. Jojo

June 10, 2014 at 3:59 pm

this is good one. It was even painful imagining him speak those unpronounceable words.
    Inferiority complex manifests in different ways.

• nwanyi na aga aga

June 10, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Looool! that was my real fear. how was he pronouncing the words? I had an ex who did that when he decided to form posh, kai! the embarrassment was usually classic and this is a boy who speaks good English eloquently meets some of my friends and pulls out -Yo gurl, yo looking beauriful, i nearly cried , i was beyond perplexed. How and Why?

• Ada Nnewi

June 11, 2014 at 9:41 am

I just imagined the scenario with your ex and started crying with laughter, had the same scenario with an ex…i don’t know why he always tried to pull the whole phonee rubbish with my friends..it was just ridiculously humiliating, like he was chewing on hot yam..

17. kim

June 10, 2014 at 4:10 pm

nice write up. fine guy but where is his something? justasking.

• Ada Nnewi

June 11, 2014 at 9:42 am

God forgive me, but i looked for it too and was disappointed that it wasn’t so obvious 🙁

18. Que

June 10, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I read dis line out loud in d said accent n nearly peed myself from laughing! ‘….” Yo mehn! Wo yuu doin mehn! Get daa ball yo! Shieeeet mehnnn, we gonna win diz game, know warram sayeeeen!? Shieet!”……’

Another tuesday made happy by Isio….. speaking of happy, i dedicate this to u all, amay something make u dance like dis this week.
    …itsybitsysteps.com/watch-korean-baby-shows-serious-dance-skills/

19. Seun Apen

June 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I enjoyed reading this. Nice

20. Ena

June 10, 2014 at 4:51 pm

rotfl @ Coach Berra-Wanna, formerly known as Mr Fine-Mouth-Bazooka-English….good one Isio!

21. Busarni

June 10, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Isioooo ooh, i always look forward to reading from you . Well, i believe it is inferiority complex; Lmao @ BET inspired english e.g iyanya, iceprince,et al. Tell them ooh, Isio your write up always attract the most comments on BN lately. Just keep doing what you are doing right. The first look at your pics, maheeda came to my mind. There is some kind of resemblance; facially. Hope my eye is not failing me ,sha.

22. sum1special

June 10, 2014 at 5:04 pm

The accent of a refined Hausa man is truly very sexy, especially when he is tall, dark and handsome, like they usually are. Nice write up girl as usual.

23. Concerned_Boyfriend

June 10, 2014 at 5:07 pm

LMAO!… This is more wide-spread than you’d imagine. It’s a complete kill switch to hear anybody force an accent. You hear the wannabe Nigerian rappers forcing an American accent, you hear the fake Jamaican Patois chatting heads on Naija songs and the sleaziest British accent on Naija radio and TV stations …

On the flip side, I love me some VI/Ajebutter Nigerian English accent with a tint of British…Uber sexy!!!

24. Truth Teller (The original, any other one na wash!)

June 10, 2014 at 5:07 pm

You have yourself a new fan. Nice read, very true! I think it’s a complex problem to feel you don’t ‘ fit in’ because you don’t sound or even look a particular way, ( or have a particular hair style) we really have to work on our self esteem. As you rightly mentioned, having an accent in itself is not bad if acquired properly. I hear a lot of ladies in lagos and Abuja forcing mixed accents and what sells them off is usually just one or two words. Imagine someone saying ‘panaipple'( pineapple) after all the Phonè, or ‘coocooumba’ ( cucumber) or ‘floor ( flour), worst still ‘goggle’ ( google) e.t.c… ( I can actually go on and on) Huge turn off right there!

• nene

June 10, 2014 at 10:55 pm

lma i want to die! “painapple” “coocoomber” “floor”. you are too much!

• Tosin

June 11, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I love saying penayipoul, yippeee, makes me happy. Mangoro. And pahyint, for panties. How about bamptist – like First Baptist Church. Razz accents are the biz!
      P.S. SLS is my guy so all of you shoo shoo gerraway.

25. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

June 10, 2014 at 5:23 pm

This jaded soul actually felt sorry for the guy in the story. Looks like he has lost his identity. We are often passionate about denying who we are and being something/one else. I heard this quote from a young girl on a TV Show and it has helped me a lot: “You can only be yourself, everyone else is taken”.
    On a lighter note, while I have not had a lot of wanna gonna, this is my list of toasting gone wrong lines I have experienced:

1. I want to engage you, aka I want to marry you.
    2. Do you run temper? aka Do you get angry easily?
    3. I want to make you my future ambition, aka You are my world (I think)
    4. Are you swinging mood? aka Do you have mood swings?
    5. Hi. My names are…. (How many of you for god sakes)?

• slice

June 10, 2014 at 5:46 pm

lol at how many of you for god’s sake

• Ada Nnewi

June 11, 2014 at 9:34 am

how many are you?…..LWKMDH!!! I JUST CAN’T!…..LMAO!

26. slice

June 10, 2014 at 5:46 pm

i’m struggling with someone’s accent right now. I think he’s smart and a lot of other good things. as i write this, i even feel guilty sef. but really were did this mixed annoying accent come from. i want to take it from him. like perform a miracle and make it go away. like far far away.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

June 10, 2014 at 6:11 pm

You would have to be very wise about it. In fact, you would have to accomplish it without he’s being aware of it.

• slice

June 10, 2014 at 6:51 pm

you are right my dear

27. nikky

June 10, 2014 at 5:50 pm

This is exactly what happened to the love I had for Jim Iyke. Good looking guy with a horrible Ameri-Igbo accent. Although we could attribute Jim’s situation to his “art” it’s still extremely cringe worthy to watch him unsuccessfully trying to act all gangster even when he is supposed to be a poor villager in a movie. We only have the over saturation of Western (expecially American) popular culture to blame.

• Concerned_Boyfriend

June 10, 2014 at 7:45 pm

[email protected] Ameri-Igbo accent but your “expecially” prompted me to look at my keyboard and see if it’s a forgivable offense.

• nene

June 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm

i once heard a girl with ameri-igbo accent say “self eXteem”..taaa!

• Warri Babe

June 11, 2014 at 8:36 am

#looool @ Ameri-Igbo accent….BN people, una no go finish person with laughter

• Ada Nnewi

June 11, 2014 at 9:33 am

ROTFLMAO!

• CK

June 11, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Actually, I won’t really call Jim’s english spere spere – infact i must commend the fact that he pronounces his words clearly, which i think should be the priority no matter what accent you have or acquire. He certainly doesn’t speak with a Nigerian accent and yes he sounds more american, but he does it quite well compared to those i would categorise as Ameri-igbo or Ameri-yoruba (i dare not name names) who speak in a way that make you want to slap them . I will agree with you though if you said that hearing him speak is annoying because of the fact that his body movement shows some sort of arrogance and also the fact that he has spent most of his life in africa and really shouldn’t be speaking americana.
      I believe with the way girls are now dying for afro and natural hair, a time will come when people would want to sound african and so will instead train themselves to speak proper and clear english instead of borrowing a british or american accent. I knew someone who came to the UK from Nigeria recently and in 3 months he had started speaking what he described as british accent. I know the truth hurts and that was why i did not inform him that what he was actually speaking like the indians/pakistanis who live in the UK.

28. chichi

June 10, 2014 at 6:45 pm

U always have a way of making me laugh. ………. such a cool write up. Keep it up Isio

29. Busarni

June 10, 2014 at 7:14 pm

idak, idak idak, idak, idak; how many times did i call you?

30. ivie

June 10, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Got me laughing off my seat oo dear Isio..better pikin tinz 🙂 nice write up, well expressed too.

31. Naveah

June 10, 2014 at 8:31 pm

THIS IS WAS HILARIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I always find to be simultaneously amusing and annoying when I encounter both men and women in Nigeria who feel the need to speak spree-spree English. Heck, I live in the States and I can switch to a flawless American but when I come home, I prefer to speak in my Nigerian accent but I find that the Nigerians wan fone past me sef. I even had a guy state that I didn’t live in the States because I spoke too much like a Nigerian. I wish these people will realize that they come across as people without pride in their languages, accents etc. It just smacks of low self esteem. I encounter many other peoples of the world who don’t have a problem speaking with their accents, na only Naija people I dey meet wey wan act like sey having a Naija accent is a burden they have to off load immediately. Thank you Isio for shining the light on this matter jare.

• Person

June 10, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Where have you been?! You’ve been missed 🙂

32. nene

June 10, 2014 at 10:52 pm

isio biko don’t kill me with laughter. was this guy by any means an igbo man, because “burriful”, etc..hmnn isio take ya time oh!

• ibiayo

July 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm

As in ehn! That was my first thought.

33. nene

June 10, 2014 at 11:01 pm

nigerian toasters are the worst. they give a bad name to other africans. the over the top toasting, iz it by force? then they compound it with fake “spere spere” accent. taa!

34. Tru

June 10, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Isioooo…without you my Tuesdays are incomplete!!! 😀

35. nene

June 10, 2014 at 11:13 pm

BN, take a look at this video: a nigerian man on cheaters, hilarious! youtube.com/watch?v=wO1SRjlel4A&feature=kp

36. Ibukun

June 11, 2014 at 12:27 am

LooooooooooooooooL!!!!! do you know just last week Sunday, one lady walked up to me after church (in Long Beach) and asked if I had some “warer” …iyen water oh. Me that I don’t know how to hide anything, I laughed like this ehn! right there in front of her, I threw my head back and laughed very well before saying no ma, I don’t have “some warer”. I honestly felt good for laughing in front of her, I felt like a good Christian!

• Warri Babe

June 11, 2014 at 8:43 am

Hahhahhahahaha, you’re mean, original ika!!!! ‘Felt like a good Christian’…..#looool #trying to catch my breath….God bless you all, Isio…you’re blessed too.

37. Oludara Ogunbowale

June 11, 2014 at 10:07 am

Wanna gerra comma..ah Men please stop formin and be yourselves.It was high time Isio talked about this before they would say again that a babe’s face looks similar….

38. Niknik

June 11, 2014 at 10:18 am

Nice one…really nice 🙂

39. Lady

June 11, 2014 at 10:35 am

Look at Nigerian artiste’s like Olamide and Phyno and tell me you don’t love the Nigerian accent

40. Inimitable

June 11, 2014 at 11:31 am

And…..?

41. Moving on Swiftly

June 11, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Atoke you have a contender here! LMAO!

42. Mariaah

June 11, 2014 at 2:12 pm

You think you have heard the best of Nigerian accents? Wait until you hear a Yoruba Man with Northern influence!! Oh my! Yummy beyond words…

• adelegirl

June 11, 2014 at 4:51 pm

As in! Mariah! Your head dey there! When I read Isio’s and other comments about refined Hausa accents being sexy, I shrugged cos my boss is a refined Hausa man and I definitely do not find his accent nor those of other refined Hausa men that I have met sexy. For me, it’s typically a combination of the accent, refinement, charisma and personality that does it for me. Like I find HRH SLS sexy but that’s not just cos of his accent- it’s a combination of different things. Now, my man is Yoruba but good Lord when he speaks Hausa! @#%&*&@#!!! Lawd have mercy! I literally melt. I turn to a simpering ninny even though I can barely understand what he is saying. In fact I am sure that his speaking Hausa so fluently was a major determining factor in my attraction for him. Ah…

• adelegirl

June 11, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Oops. Sorry I misspelt your name Mariaah 🙂

43. Isio'

June 11, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Phew* I jst finished reading all ur articles…PLS MORE!!!!!!!!

44. lily

June 12, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Very well written…..you’ve got a nice write up and i enjoyed it till d very end. Lovely, Entertaining and very funny. That is a talent

45. Eyitayo

July 31, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Isio i missed u sooooo much….chai cant stop laughing lool

46. benito

August 18, 2014 at 6:17 pm

How about the other time i was in Nigeria and at the MMA about to travel the policeman at the door broke out his American accent on me. I had no choice but to break out my pidgin, cos i couldn’t deal.