News

Jim Iyke: Nollywood Movies are Too Boring & Predictable

BellaNaija.com

Jim Iyke's Unscripted Season 2 Reality TV Show - April 2014 - BellaNaija - 021
It’s Jim Iyke.

The Nollywood actor has been making headlines for the days now and the buzz isn’t going down anytime soon.

In an interview with Punch, he speaks on controversies, Nollywood, and his partner Nadia Buari.
Read excerpts:

On being out of the movie scene for a while: “Nothing was challenging anymore. It was too easy and too perpetual. It was too boring and too predictable. I had no room to pursue or hone other skill sets I had. I didn’t have time for extra curriculums like hobbies, family, and friends, personal and social advancements. Something had to give! After all, I was the guy that made 38 films in a year”

On Nollywod’s slow progress: “Ours, if it isn’t oil and politics, then it isn’t attainable. They tie up funds in bogus and outlandish conditions and make bold and futuristic propaganda-driven statements as to how it is accessible to every practitioner that simply has to ask for the taking.

The sad part is that the practitioners do not even recognise the most basic of their fundamental rights. How can you ask, when you don’t understand what you’re asking for? The ones that do understand and fight to the helm of affairs are busy fighting each other and developing schemes to enrich their shallow pockets.”

On Controversies: “I’ve heard that I deem myself something of a puppeteer and that I orchestrate these media maelstroms to maintain relevance and news. I wish I was that creative! The other side of the debate – the more discerning would argue – I’m a victim of PR machinery gone wrong. Perhaps my handlers in the earlier stages of my career saw a need to create an unfathomable media being that was as audacious as the characters I played in films.

It caught on. Caused quite a stir, then quickly spiralled out of control. There were days when I wondered if I could have done something about it; like a campaign to state I was a different person. But then, the media loved it too much. It sold millions of movies. It sold papers. It also sold my privacy and peace of mind. I struggled for years to understand what it was doing to my psyche, my relationships, my family, my spirituality.”

Nadia Buari & Jim Iyke - February 2014 - BellaNaija 01

On Nadia Buari: “She (Nadia) is a solid down-to-earth woman. I’m a man that translates variables in ways many people find incomprehensible. We have embraced who we are and learnt to create our own world and expectations. We have ups and downs like every other couple.

We have our strength and weakness as well. At the end of the day, rumours of break ups and make ups ought to abound. It really doesn’t matter. A relationship is a continuous work. Those that give up, perhaps weren’t committed enough. Those that go in for the long haul suck up and square up to the variables life throws at them. The people that judge harshly are obviously the ones that live far from their desired lives. We just live the best way we know how and leave the rest to the author and finisher of all things.”

On if he will run for AGN President: “I’ve had occasion where they tried to drag me into this unpredictable territory. I assure you categorically Nollywood politics holds no iota of interest for me.”

To read the full interview, click here

1. cindy

June 13, 2014 at 9:42 am

Jim speaks well and hits d nail on the head…no dilly dallying, most of the celebs just go round n round… hypocrisy is killing us Africans,…. I like Jim even more now…

2. http://gistville.com

June 13, 2014 at 9:43 am

Major reason i rarely have interest in Nollywood movies. Jim Iyke is always the loverboy or player with rich parents. Sheeesh, boring!

3. bobbydox

June 13, 2014 at 10:17 am

what gives this guy to rant about like a dog, nollywood is doing pretty much fine and they improving their game so if u Jim want relevance go sort out ur PR Gimmick and stop all this media nonsense hype, cos it’s already getting too much, so much inconsistency in ur interviews, this minute u are in relationship with nadia next minute u say oh it’s just for my reality how afr will u go

4. Franco-Cameroonfilmmaker

June 13, 2014 at 11:08 am

Just because Jim Iyke acts in predictable Nollywood movies does not mean they’re all the same. I was at the recently held Nollywood film festival in Paris and I was very pleased with the selection of the movies and the whole organisation. The tickets were sold out for the four days the festival took place and everyone – even the French and Americans- who were there enjoyed the movies. They were not the typical run-off-the-mill nollywood films.

5. new bride

June 13, 2014 at 11:13 am

When Jim Iyke acts in a critically acclaimed and award winning Nollywood movie, then he has a right to make such daft comments!

6. me2me

June 13, 2014 at 11:18 am

2 months ago he was in Asaba or Enugu shooting a movie so make I hear word

7. MISVEE

June 13, 2014 at 11:42 am

OK.SO HERE IN GHANA WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH NADIA.ANYTHING SHE DOES OR SAY PUBIC FINDS IT HARD ACCEPTING IT. JIM IYKE TOO SAME. NICE PAIR THOUGH

• nene

June 13, 2014 at 6:33 pm

exactly. they found themselves! disturbed pair.

8. @edDREAMZ

June 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    This dude is so -ing intelligent and i love the interview no doubt….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

9. Afrofab

June 13, 2014 at 2:50 pm

He is right in saying that it “was too boring and too predictable.” He always played the same role in his movies and hopefully this means that he will be taking on different types of films and roles. Nollywood has had some repetitive, monotonous and sometimes just downright ridiculous story lines but I really see that the films are evolving. Over the last 2- 3 years; the writng, acting and cinematography has improved so much and I think it will only get better.

10. OLAMI

June 13, 2014 at 3:43 pm

After making it thru nollywood..he now as the effontry to say nollywood is boring nd predictable….abegi jor..pack well..nollywood is improving compare to those days he use to act lover boy and spoilt child…..they re nt on the same level again..so he does not have a point..what exactly has he brought to the table to improve the quality of movies produce…i think he should be ashamed that the same nollywood that took him to where he is……is the same nollywood he is using as a subject of ridicule…….me no even like am before sef……so full of him sef………..what does he mean by saying he produced featured in 38 movies per yr…….rubbish..BN ABEG..UNTO D NEXT… WEY D BETTER GIST JOR

11. Kina

June 13, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Said the pot to the kettle

12. me ma sef

June 15, 2014 at 6:07 am

oya go and act chinese film na, da ma you like jumping jumping in all your predictable naija films

13. sum1special

June 16, 2014 at 11:42 am

This guy seems troublesome.lol

14. Wise D

July 3, 2014 at 12:46 pm

You are absolutely right in terms of predictable, i can tell you what can happend at the end of one particular movie, i like u guy @jim