Music

Charles Novia Lists Reasons Wrong with “Dorobucci” Music Video

BellaNaija.com

Charles Novia - January 2014 - Same Sex Bill - BellaNaija
Doro No No!

Nollywood producer and director Charles Novia who always shares his opinions on trending topics in Nigeria including the anti-gay law, Tiwa Savage’s “Wanted”, the President Jonathan and Lamido Sanusi saga, is taking on the “Dorobucci” music video.

As you know, the anticipated video by Mavin Records dropped on Wednesday noon. It features Don Jazzy, Tiwa Savage, Dr Sid, D’Prince, Reekado Banks, Di’Ja and Korede Bello.

Dorobucci - May 2014 - BellaNaija.com

Today, Charles Novia took to his official Twitter page to discuss the video – his highs and lows.
Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 01Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 02Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 03Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 04Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 05Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 06Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 07Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 08Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 09Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 010Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 011Charles Novia on Dorobucci - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 012

What’s your take, BellaNaijarians?
Watch Dorobucci Music Video

1. imk

July 27, 2014 at 2:23 am

hahaha…………… lol……….. I love the way e end it….. lol.
    this guy is good I love him for that. about doro or no doro that’s there ‘mavin’ family problem… *I wast 21mb downlod* sorry am not mavin fan…. my thought na my thought I no force am for ur throt.

• Dora the explorer

July 27, 2014 at 12:49 pm

ebolafacts.com

2. Iris

July 27, 2014 at 3:22 am

LOL but this Charles Novia too, when he was directing movies what were the storylines and quality like? Weren’t they rubbish? Wasn’t he the one who did that Bridesmaid movie that was essentially a copy and paste of a Hollywood movie called The Bachelor? He’s lucky there was no twitter in his day.

• omaa

July 27, 2014 at 7:56 pm

The fact that he may not have done better does not take away his right to criticise. We criticise Jonathan, does not mean we will make better presidents if given the opportunity. Same rule applies here. That said, I agree with Charles.

• Seyi

July 27, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Lol. Very Valid point

3. Honeymix

July 27, 2014 at 3:45 am

He analyzed it well, my opinion.

• troublemaker

July 27, 2014 at 4:42 pm

i support!

4. nikky

July 27, 2014 at 3:45 am

#doronobodycares.

5. Tee

July 27, 2014 at 4:14 am

I completely agree with this man. The video concept is a big fail. Don Jazzy beginning part was ok the rest didn’t relate to the song

• iba

July 28, 2014 at 10:19 am

Really? To me IDJA part was about the worse. Who does that in a board meeting. I love the Bello guy and the girl on red. I really liked the girl. Tiwa was also very good but i didn’t expect anything less from her. I wished they danced more but i guess thats the curse of banging Nigerian songs with useless videos.

6. Lindsey

July 27, 2014 at 4:32 am

I have watched this several times and I think this was a korede Bello and Di’Ja show. Those two made the video worth my while

• poshangel_01

July 27, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Comment so on point!

July 27, 2014 at 4:44 pm

i thik Reekardo did a better job than Korede Bello… Korede de do B2K

7. sexy diva

July 27, 2014 at 4:33 am

True talk

8. alexgute

July 27, 2014 at 4:46 am

I concur totally wit points listed.only Nigerians nd a nigerian director cn av perfect interpretation of d hit song. Much dat d song is a rythmcal naija tune, a clarence,patrick ellis,aje,adasa cookey,moe musa or kemi adetiba’s ingenuity wlda done magical work wit d visuals.enof of dis south-african crappy prod.

9. Oreke

July 27, 2014 at 5:40 am

Tell them o! Kept waitin for d real video to start till d very end. They ddnt nail it at all for me so disappointed #dorowack

• Pricey

July 27, 2014 at 2:12 pm

You hit the nail on the head! I kept checking the remaining minutes to see if something extraordinary was going to pop up alas…. Nothing. In my opinion the video was a mess and all over the place.

10. Ongina

July 27, 2014 at 7:01 am

That is very rich coming from a failed……… what are you again? If you were that talented,competent and opinionated, you should have suggested that the video should be shot in Tuscany perhaps. Good point when you mentioned that your”opinion is your Opinion”(clearly) In future, shove it down your rectum. thatsall.

• Tee

July 27, 2014 at 12:22 pm

There’s always one over emotional deluded fan.. Auntie take it easy, its not that deep

• Ongina

July 27, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I am not fan of Do Jazzy or Mavin… I just cant stand people who can’t shut their trap…. like you.

• Idak

July 27, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Is it that serious? It is not like the guy denounced Mavin for finding a cure for Ebola.

• Sandy

July 27, 2014 at 8:57 pm

This sounds like a Tiwa/TeeBillz rant…..

11. starr

July 27, 2014 at 7:07 am

This man sef called Charles Novia….

12. kiki

July 27, 2014 at 7:09 am

yes i think charlse novia is right on this one

13. Candy

July 27, 2014 at 7:12 am

Hez rite,d video wasn’t all dat. Over used concept truly.rily loved Dija’s performance most.Gud song,not so gud video

14. missyJ

July 27, 2014 at 7:13 am

Gbam!!!!!! That Reekado boy mmm that kid seems talented. I don’t know how to express but he exudes this Davido Wizkid vibe.

15. Astute

July 27, 2014 at 7:15 am

I totally concur

16. kenny

July 27, 2014 at 7:19 am

his rigth!

17. babakay.

July 27, 2014 at 7:30 am

Mr Charles, I like your assessment, very professional and on point. Still love the video though.

18. amaa

July 27, 2014 at 7:45 am

His said it all for a hit song more was expected and less was given

19. usher tech

July 27, 2014 at 8:05 am

i hate people who complains too much…….get away you

20. kechy e

July 27, 2014 at 8:06 am

Lol… Wahala

21. gigi

July 27, 2014 at 8:14 am

well said!!!!

22. Changing Faces

July 27, 2014 at 8:22 am

Constructive criticism… I agree, except that no one really sizzled for me; I was confused during Tiwas part with the lady climbing up and down the ladder and don jazxys board members dancing in their chairs. I still love dorobucci… it’s my song of the year

• S!

July 27, 2014 at 10:23 am

She was doing “Doro is bigger, Doro is higher, follow the ladder, so follow the ladder”

• nobody

July 27, 2014 at 12:32 pm

it was a gag at gospel song – follow the ladder by Agnes Iro. check youtube

• Mama mia

July 27, 2014 at 11:38 pm

You probably didn’t get the joke I didn’t like the video either but I now get the concept of the maid climbing the ladder it must have sprung out from the “Follow the ladder to heaven” song/parody. Very funny now that I understand the concept though totally unnecessary.

23. Hawtspot

July 27, 2014 at 8:23 am

The video is aloof, it’s devoid of the energy the song carries; Charles is so right on this one, a local content video would have been very ideal! A clarence remake wouldn’t be a bad idea..

24. onahboy

July 27, 2014 at 8:34 am

opinion

25. fifi

July 27, 2014 at 8:43 am

I agree with him…expected more for such a mega hit..he shld go back to using Sesan like they did during the Mo’Hits days

• Ongina

July 27, 2014 at 9:22 pm

@fifi, It is better not to be expectant as you will always be disappointed. so, he should hire Benny Boom abi? madam adviser!

26. hica

July 27, 2014 at 8:51 am

It missed the wow factor and it been shot in SA jst took d naija vibe OUta d video…

27. @edDREAMZ

July 27, 2014 at 10:03 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Is this dude a writer or movie director bcos am confuse…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Dora the explorer

July 27, 2014 at 4:27 pm

confused*.. Edwin initially I thought your commentary was a joke and you wrote all the wrong grammar to make people laugh but apparently you are just writing how you know how to.. But you can help yourself with tenses and plurals now?? Even reading all the other comments on BN is enough to teach you a thing or two.. Please try to improve your vocabulary hen? use a dictionary and google, no one is above learning .. God bless..

• David Nwachukwu

July 29, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Abeg help me ask Oga Edwin ooo

28. Amh

July 27, 2014 at 10:09 am

Why shoot in South Africa can someone enlighten me please. Why take niija s money to another country. The music industry is contributing alot to those shitty southAfrican that are xenophobic, rude racist and utterly useless. Their girls cant dance i wonder whats the attraction. They are beautiful locations in nija and beauty girls. Mtcheew.

29. Fabulicious

July 27, 2014 at 10:11 am

Yes ooooo, I like the I no force am for your throat part…..lol before the unpaid warriors will unleash senselessly.

30. mrs chidukane

July 27, 2014 at 10:13 am

The house definitely looked like the Testimony video house. I expected more dancing, not those girls that couldn’t dance. His assessment is spot on

31. Amh

July 27, 2014 at 10:16 am

Love korede bello. Naughty wink. Hes got sexy eyes. The girl with the red hair is good. Others are just there. Not feeling the video. The pale girls and the southie cant dance.

32. baboushka

July 27, 2014 at 10:30 am

looks like one had to be either white, indian or mixed race to be in this video where are the black girls?

33. Mz Debz

July 27, 2014 at 10:34 am

I totally agree with him. Saw the video yesterday and I was totally disappointed. The dancers looked confused and it just seemed like they were dancing to a different beat. Still love me some Donjazzy any day though

34. misty

July 27, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Onye eze anagi enwe ugwu na ala nna ya.he left our naija brodas 4 a south african producer,after 2days of watching dat video am tired of it already

35. Mama mia

July 27, 2014 at 12:26 pm

All he said was true but Alanpoza the movie was worse!!! Go see the movie though support African movies

• uche

July 27, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Roflmao

36. Moji

July 27, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Looool! I toooooo-tally agree with his assement. I expectd soo much cuz of hw big the song is. U angry ppl, shld stp attacking him na. Unnecessary display of voltron skills

37. Engoz

July 27, 2014 at 12:48 pm

For me it is highly overreaching expecting a video of some ingenuity from a song with infantile lyrics. The lyrics for me is a giveaway on artistes level of ingenuity.
    As for the SA angle, I agree. The Ivoriens, Cameroonians, or the Togolese would have done justice to the song. Flavour’s ‘Shake Shake’ was a disaster. I don’t know how an African woman would have all the assets but don’t know how to use it. Sorry SA but this is what I’ve noticed.

• Miss_Flygerian

July 27, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Loool!! At Flavour’s shake. The video is so cringe worthy. Those girls looked utterly ridiculous. Words can’t even begin to describe how stupid they looked. South Africans can’t move a joint to save their lives. I have noticed it in countless videos.

To the topic, it was foolish for anyone to expect a spectacular video. I mean, the song itself has no theme, no plot, no story line. Who or what is Doro? Doro is thrown everywhere in the song. The song has no direction. The video was not going to magically interpret a song which literally makes no sense. If not for the fact that they wanted to put faces to the new acts (Reekado Banks, Korede Bello and Dija), I would have said they should have forgotten about doing a video in the first place.

• Engoz

July 27, 2014 at 10:59 pm

It has to be the thrill of having a high concentration of mixed race in the video, (you know we Nigerians are very very insecure like that) because I don’t understand the logic behind going to SA all the time and getting the same dead results.

38. Bennie Errick

July 27, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Yes it could have been more Nigerian but I still love it! But wait o when was the last time Charles produced a movie? How was the last one? Easier to critize abi? Well done Mavins crew.

39. Tootsy

July 27, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Charles Novia said it all… Jazzy’s part was d bomb apart 4rm d board members dancing on d chair, d odas esp Da prince was nt felt, d hype we got from d marvins and mtn abt dis song was nt felt at all in d vid, buh wat can we do buh manage d vid like dat, abeg mk dem do anoda 1 and hope dey dont do Adaobi vid like dis oh…

40. Don pafegs

July 27, 2014 at 1:56 pm

The analysis is Innacurate.

41. A aka

July 27, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Audio dorobucci is so interesting but after watching the video I got confused cos they would hv done better. I mean for a Don jazzy………

42. mujer

July 27, 2014 at 2:10 pm

So can someone explain what the words mean? What is the song about? Thanks

43. Ona

July 27, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I agree. The song is mega but the vid fell my hand.

• Ongina

July 27, 2014 at 9:23 pm

eeya, raise you hand again ooo

• nikky

July 28, 2014 at 8:23 am

Iya get a life biko, replying erry1’s comment is not a job

44. Promo Nigeria Blog

July 27, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I don’t know for the publicity stunt pple. I love every part of the Dorobucci Video. Weldone Don Jazzy.

45. mide

July 27, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Ok, this is the 5th time i’m watching this vid. The 1st time I didn’t get idea @ all. Not like I do now oh.. lol. But I think it’s not that bad sha. But the part where the maid was climbing a ladder is WACK!!! Jeez! Any ways another vid won’t be a bad idea. Because kai.. Don jazzy fall our hand no be small

46. Beni

July 27, 2014 at 4:19 pm

What does Doro mean? I mean you’ve got to be mega big to coin a new word or concept or whatever to get the people to buy into it. I mean yo can sing idiotic nursery rhymes. To toddlers and they’ll go with it because they don’t know anything better. But to get people chanting an idiotic term with questionable concept you’ve got to be a magician or the people got to be dumb as F.

47. keep calm

July 27, 2014 at 5:00 pm

lets sign a petition for another video.
    this one was kinda bland. i kept expecting something to wow me
    nada

48. Abi

July 27, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Na so all of una talk until Skelewu get 4 video clips. Everyone will have an opinion. We all cannot be satisfied. I still like the song sha, wack video or not.

49. temibalo

July 27, 2014 at 5:05 pm

didnt like d video at all man.. was expecting more…. well said novia loll

50. Falke by aisha

July 27, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Lol so true

51. Solo

July 27, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Okay is it only me or does anyone actually no what this Doro is supposed to mean.

• Doxa

July 27, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Listen to d song, Di’ja said Doro na yaro wey get money. Dats d only definiton I could find. Hope it’s helpful.

• Doxa

July 27, 2014 at 10:16 pm

D Prince said Doro is a kind of Boss, doro is a money spender. This aligns with what Di’ja said earlier.

52. neny amy

July 27, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I love the video, i love the song,i love the artists. they nailed it and i cant get over this song.. #DoroBoss DoroEvery hahahahahahahaha. #PrinceKoredeBetaPikin, #Tiwa u b ur mama pikin

53. ACE

July 27, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Mavin Rocks!!!!! Waiting for the Naija video tho, the Main video…

54. beautyandhealth1

July 27, 2014 at 11:51 pm

I agree with him completely. Immediately i finished watching the video i was disappointed. I am hoping they improve with other videos. But it is a cool song.

journalofapetitediva.blogspot.com

55. laffs

July 28, 2014 at 3:23 am

I think don jassy did a fantastic job with the song and the vid! and dear charles what have you done lately that deserves an oscar nod? biko nodu alla

56. Amechi Obi

July 28, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Charles, I give the concept 1/2. Yes too to d fact that it simply should have been a Nigerian video. However I love It because it provided the visual facet to a great Nigerian song.

57. sunday's Best

July 28, 2014 at 12:40 pm

may God bless this man #truth, I said it from the first day i watched the video like serious what were they thinking why not hire whoever did davido’s aye video. instead of all this jump jump p2 like video /concept

58. ella

July 28, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Very on point. That’s what I call constructive criticism. Charles Novia took the words right out of my mouth.

59. Beni

July 28, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Wow is that what Doro means. that’s deep. Poetry. Such play on words. Who would have imagined such a deep and intelligent play on words. My naija peps just taken intelligence to a whole new level.

60. Fre

July 29, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Charles Novia 🙂

61. lpop

July 30, 2014 at 3:15 pm

if only Don Jazzy could do me a favour by making another video for this song….this tym it should be directed by Clarence, Sesan, or Kemi. That video fell my hands seriously. I totally agree with Charles novia

62. beegold

August 4, 2014 at 1:11 pm

lols. charles novia*laughing in spanish!!!!! he be like*and my opinion is basicall my opinion,i no force am for your throat..
    love u jere, blunt n realistic. love u take take since……… when i saw ur movie*christmas*

63. Mimi

August 21, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I must be a weirdo because I actually like the video than I do the song. I’m a Mavin superfan but i find the song just a little overrated. But anyway, opinions are like noses: everyone has them in different shapes and sizes