Music

Kanye West tells GQ Mag about His 45-Minute Rant at Wedding & Why He Married Kim K

BellaNaija.com

Kanye West for GQ - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 02 (2)
Oh Kanye West

On Saturday, BN brought you the cover of the music star for GQ’s August 2014 issue. Now it’s time to get the deets from the interview.

In true Kanye West style, he talked passionately about race, fashion, music, his relationship with Kim Kardashian, respect and the idea of celebrity.

Fun fact – Kanye West had a 45-minute rant at his wedding to Kim in Italy. The interview was conducted 10 days after the nuptials.

Read Excerpts;
Kanye West for GQ - July 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com 02 (1)
On why critics are mad at Kim K
“…when people try to spoof or talk sh*t, it’s like: But you’re mad because basically Kim is the type of girl that, her entire life, if you were in school with her, most people would be studying and up late nights, but for some reason she would have the skill set to go and grab the one book, turn to the exact page, and just magically say, ‘That’s the exact answer.’ Or she could wink at the person who had done all the work and get it done anyway. And the point of life is getting sh*t done and being happy.”

On him and Kim being powerful together
“One of the reasons why I think that me and Kim are very powerful together isn’t just the concept of celebrity or this mega rap star and this mega-beautiful pop star. It’s something I explain to my girl: She is who she is. I am who I am. We have advisers and friends and everything, but those people are who they are and we are who we are. And what I had to learn from Kim is how to take more of her advice and less of other people’s advice. There’s a lot of Kim K skills that were added. In order to win at life, you need some Kim K skills, period.”

On his decision to marry Kim K
“Saying ‘Hey, I like Kim’ isn’t as inspiring to people as us getting married. And anyone that’s in a relationship knows that in order to get to the point to get married and then to be married and to then carry on, it needs that work put into it. Right now, people look at it and it’s like, ‘Wow, that’s inspiring.’

Meaning that love is infectious. You know, God is infectious—God flowing through us and us being little-baby creators and sh*t. But His energy and His love and what He wants us to have as people and the way He wants us to love each other, that is infectious. Like they said in Step Brothers: Never lose your dinosaur. This is the ultimate example of a person never losing his dinosaur. Meaning that even as I grew in cultural awareness and respect and was put higher in the class system in some way for being this musician, I never lost my dinosaur.

Kim is this girl who f**ing turns me on. I love her. This is who I want to be next to and be around. And then people would try to say, ‘Well, you know, if you’re a musician, you should be with a musician, and if you want to design, you need to be with a girl from the design world.’ I don’t give a f**k about people’s opinions. Because when a kid falls in love with an airplane or a bike or a dinosaur—especially if you’re an only child and it’s not because of the book that the sibling was reading—it’s like, f**k, you mean to tell me that the dinosaurs walked the earth and stuff like that?!

That’s amazing! You mean to tell me that these giant multi-ton crafts can fly that fast and that loud, and they can flip, and there’s danger, the possibility of them exploding? That’s f**king cool! You mean to tell me that this girl with this f**king body and this face is also into style, and she’s a nice person, and she has her own money and is family-oriented? That’s just as cool as a f**king fighter jet or dinosaur! And just as rarely seen.”

On Jay Z and Beyoncé not attending the wedding
“All that, I wouldn’t even speak on. It doesn’t even matter to me whatsoever, who would show up. Because the most important person to show up there, to me, was Kim. And that’s all that matters to me. I had to fight for that for seven years.

But the fact that these other people showed up that are from such different worlds but have done such dynamic things—they’re all, in a way, equal to what Kim has done in TV or what I had done in music. I was so moved that I just wanted people to stop and think they weren’t sitting at a table full of fashion people, they weren’t sitting at a table full of celebrities, they weren’t sitting at a table full of movie directors.

It really was a representation of the way we receive information today, post-Internet. And so Page Six can’t overshadow the main point: Carine Roitfeld was sitting next to Kim Kardashian. That alone to me is like the same moment when I brought Mos Def to the studio with Jay Z. It’s about the people, and the fact that they’re from different walks of life, and that they’re working together and not discriminating against each other. There was a class system, and now there’s a creative class system, and I think that’s what you were talking about a bit—the class system of creativity.

… And my point is, they were all at her wedding.”

On his 45-minute wedding toast/rant
“And what I talked about in it was the idea of celebrity, and celebrities being treated like blacks were in the ’60s, having no rights, and the fact that people can slander your name. I said that in the toast. And I had to say this in a position where I, from the art world, am marrying Kim. And how we’re going to fight to raise the respect level for celebrities so that my daughter can live a more normal life. She didn’t choose to be a celebrity. But she is. So I’m going to fight to make sure she has a better life.”

On the wedding photo getting millions of likes on Instagram
It’s because of Kim. Meaning there’s no photo that I would have put up by myself, or next to one of my smarty friends, that would have got that amount of likes. So now you take this photo that has that amount of likes, and it has a flower wall from the same guy who does the Lanvin shows, and it has a couture Givenchy dress and Givenchy tuxedo in it. That’s the point. Now the thing that is the most popular is also communicating the highest level of creativity. The concept of Kimye has more cultural significance than what Page Six could write.”

Kanye West - GQ -July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01

To read the full interview, click here
Photo Credit: GQ

1. ohumotu

July 21, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I honestly like this Kanye… He is the kind of guy that – on the low – apart from all that crazy, is a really nice person.

2. Kathryn Cage

July 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm

To read full interview click where? Thanks Bella, my head aches from reading the one you posted alone. I can’t deal with Kanye’s plenty talks biko.

• www.ANEMISTYLE.com

July 21, 2014 at 6:17 pm

You couldn’t have said it better…..full interview? Aint nobody got time for that.

3. Ona

July 21, 2014 at 6:03 pm

#KooKoo

4. Beeee

July 21, 2014 at 6:03 pm

I am in love with love…it makes you do and say the most stupid things sometimes… lol….He is in love with his wife and that’s all that matters…love is indeed a beautiful thing

5. maria

July 21, 2014 at 6:13 pm

this guy is genius and that is the only reason why i like him. he wont do anything to please anyone he does what pleases him.
    we only live once if we live right once is enough

6. Mostest

July 21, 2014 at 6:15 pm

” this girl with this effing body, this face, is in style, is a nice person, has her own money and us family oriented”…”there was a class system, now there’s a creative class system”. These 2 touched me the most, that a man can choose to marry the most hated celeb, or that Beyoncé can choose to marry a drug dealer from Brooklyn, or that the future king of England can wed a commoner. Times have really changed,

7. fisa

July 21, 2014 at 6:20 pm

OH when a MAN LOVES A WOMAN !!!!!!!!!

• Grace E

July 21, 2014 at 6:51 pm

nawa oh…he reminds me of my ex..he will say how much he loves u and do the craziest things for u and u never understand…lol..ooh Kanye my man I like how he does his own thing and is so sure of himself..even though it is too much sometimes

8. Mama mia

July 21, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I’m sorry I’m one of those people who adore this man. I find him quite intriguing and extremely talented he is also unapologetic and brutally honest (to a fault to some). I sincerely, think Kanye is the best rapper alive for now (I’m one of those who think he is 2pac’s prodigy) and love the concept of the track “”Black skin head”” without the video though…

• Gabrielle

July 21, 2014 at 11:24 pm

You’re a complete idiot. This man is a bigot egotistical misconstrued self-absorbed lunatic. He compared being treated like a celebrity to racial violence and discrimination of blacks in the 60’s. How is racial inequality and brutality comparable to celebrities getting their asses kissed or slightly inconvenienced? Since WHEN is it OK to be a skinhead in any form? Since when is it OK to call urself God when u have a multicultural multi denomination fan base? Wouldn’t that offend some of his fans? If he called himself Muhammad the God, Islamic leadership would put a kill strike out on his ignorant ass. He’s offensive and sloppy with his words.

• Nimo

July 22, 2014 at 1:06 am

My dear read ur bible jor … The bible said n I quote ye are gods … My dear a dog can only give birth to a dog , a cat can only give birth to a cat … God can only give birth to gods … We are created in d very image on God … Thank me later n pjs I Dnt abuse so do same too if u have anything to join put inside my comment … Love u love ur name

• H

July 22, 2014 at 4:25 am

Yu are also ignorant Gabrielle. Muslims do NOT think or have ever referred to Mohammed as God. And Allah means God if yu translate it from Arabic to English. Think before yu talk abeg

• Mama mia

July 22, 2014 at 11:11 am

And you are a low life fool! what gives you the right to insult someone you know nothing about. To each her own I like the concept. Go kill your self!!!

9. Blaqgurlrock

July 21, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Jeez I cannot stand this guy!!!!!! Please Lord make him disappear.

10. Gbemmy

July 21, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Too much grammar o jerre .

11. Gbemmy

July 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Someone should please summerise for me.

12. Bey

July 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Tone down the word”F**KING”

13. Bliss

July 21, 2014 at 9:53 pm

It’s either kanye is ridiculously smart with his words, or my brain clearly has a problem in processing his responses. His responses are just so all over the place. like he is not actually answering the questions, but randomly discussing what he planned to say at the interview, whether he is asked about it or not. The only thing I understood in this whole rant is that he loves his wife very much. The rest deh pain my head. #bye

14. Ike

July 21, 2014 at 11:40 pm

This interview is actually hard for you to read and understand? WOW!!! Nigeria’s are obviously mentally lazy.

• AK

July 22, 2014 at 12:26 am

Its not about being lazy. The interview is not coherent- he jumps from one issue to talk about something unrelated, then tries to draw comparisons between totally unrelated situations. He sounds like he’s trying so hard to come across as an intellectual or a genius

• Nimo

July 22, 2014 at 1:07 am

Ike nwannam r u from Ghana or there Ghana-igbo nah lol

15. Olori Tari

July 21, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Omg! I really do love Kanye. Like so much, this interview just made the love even more. Amd let’s not even talk about his styling for the magazine. Kanye is #AllShadesOfAwesome #Genius

16. Nimo

July 22, 2014 at 1:11 am

I love Kanye and I love kim n I don’t care what the world thinks abt who I choose to love … Hmmmmmm inside all this very long n interesting way of answering question (cos this us he Kanye talks n answer questions ) all I can say is that he loves his wife dearly , in short he overly overly loves kim

17. glamnena

July 22, 2014 at 8:37 am

i love Kimye!!! heck i looove Kanye but what in the seven heaven’s is he going on about????

18. Caligula

July 22, 2014 at 9:16 am

He married her for superficial reasons… Everything up there is physical. Shit like that fades. Let’s hope that with time & for the sake of North, their love grows past the superficial ish..

• Anon

July 22, 2014 at 11:20 am

Thank you!

• Grace E

July 22, 2014 at 2:42 pm

yea I agree with u..that is all her ever talks about…he is obsessed with all the things that are available for him to squeeze..which is alright!!!but can we hear the end of it???smh..everyday the questions they ask and the ones they don’t ask he must include his girl..LOL Kanyesteem..!!!. I love his self-esteem tho…out of this world!!!

• wehavestory

July 23, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Exactly! Who talks about their wife/ wedding day with “And so Page Six can’t overshadow the main point: Carine Roitfeld was sitting next to Kim Kardashian.” and “o now you take this photo that has that amount of likes, and it has a flower wall from the same guy who does the Lanvin shows, and it has a couture Givenchy dress and Givenchy tuxedo in it. That’s the point. ” Kanye, I don tire for your own. You should have jejely married that your lovely girlfriend that your momsie liked

19. sum1special

July 22, 2014 at 9:38 am

Kanye loves his woman…. Period. Some of our guys here should learn to do same.

20. Bukx

July 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm

i am Nigerian and not mentally lazy. i read through the interview and came to the conclusion that he hasnt been through sny formal education hence the reason for his distorted responses and that in summary he loves his wife regardless of what the whole world thinks of her and that he is actually priviledged to marry her. (a dream come true for him) ok IKE?

21. LIKE SERIOUSLY

July 22, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Kanye are you done?Hiaaaa.

22. Sloane

July 22, 2014 at 3:52 pm

The way he talks about Kim makes me realise how much he is in love with the idea of her and not her exactly. He said he married her cos she turns him on the most. Her pictures are what turns him on the most. What happened to I married her cos of how amazing she is as a person and I can’t believe he compared being a celebrity with what blacks went through in the 60s. He needs to have several seats. He tries so hard to come across as profound but he fails miserably all the time with his all over the place answers.

23. tobiloba

July 22, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Sloane, Bliss, AK and Gabrielle said all i wanted to say. Thank u guys for saving my ‘MB’…lol

24. Oma

July 24, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I couldn’t deal mehn! I couldn’t connect his words…From one statement to the other…but I still like him,he’s straightforward and doesn’t send….

25. vixen w

July 28, 2014 at 12:34 am

sounds like he had a few drinks before the interview

26. Sandra Petro

October 24, 2014 at 2:05 am

OMG! HE MAKES NO SENSE. .AT ALL..HE IS A SELF ABSORBED LUNATIC. .HE THINKS HE’S GOD OR A GOD. YOU NEVER SEE HIS TEETH BECAUSE HE DOESN’T SMILE AND NOW SHE DOESN’T SMILE WITH TEETH. A ZEBRA DOESN’T CHANG IT’S STRIPES. WHEN I SAW THAT IDIOTIC BEHAVIOR WITH THE BOTTLE, OF BOOZE. WITH TAYLOR SWIFT. I AM PRETTY SURE HE IS A CONTROL FREAK WHO TELLS KIM HOW TO DRESS TALK WALK HAIR A ND MAKEUP. WE ALL KNOW SHE IS AS DUMB AS DIRT..”UM” IS HER MAIN WORD OF CHOICE AS I’VE SEEN IN PREVIOUS INTERVIEWS. SHE CAN’T SING DANCE ACT..EXCEPT FOR ACTING FAKE. SHE CAN TALK LIKE A BABY WHICH IS SO ANNOY ING. WTF. IS SHE GOING TO DO WHEN HE STARTS FINDING PRETTIER AND EQUALLY DUMB WOMEN AS SHE AGES? BECAUSE DAMN..THAT LARD HANGING WHERE HER AS IS SUPPOSED TO BE IS LOOKING SO NASTY..
    HE IS NOT ATTRACTIVE AT ALL. HE HAS A BUT CHIN AND HIS SPEECHES MAKE NO SENSE THEREFORE STUPID. I ALMOST FEEL LIKE HEY TRIPPING WHEN I LISTEN TO WHATEVER THE HE’LL HEY SAYING
    IN A NUTSHELL HEY AN IDIOT CONTROLLING AS AND HE MET SOMEONE STUPID ENOUGH TO THINK HE MAKES SENSE..POOR BABY N. I JUST CAN’T SAY NORTH BECAUSE WTH. WOULD WANT TO BE KNOWN AS NORTH WEST.THEY THOUGHT NAMING THE BABY AFTER A DIRECTION? ?? IS THE NEXT ONE GOING TO BE SOUTH WEST? AND OMG ONLY THOSE 2 IDIOT WOULD HAVE INFANT CLOTHES MADE BY DESIGNERS …REAL CELEBS. DON’T DO THAT INFANT IS GROWING AND THEY ARE BLOWING MONEY ON EXPENSIVE DESIGNERS SHE COULD NO CARE LESS WHO MADE HER 1Z..WHY NOT JUST DONATE ALL THAT MONEY TO ST JUDE..OR HOMELESS CHILDREN? YES THOSE 2 MAKE ME SICK..THEY WILL NOT LAST..GOD..I MEAN KANYE NEEDS TO READ THE CONTROL OF LOVE..SINCE HE KNOWS EVERYTHING. .SURPRISE! ! YOU TWO ARE SCREWED