Relationships

Vanessa Williams reveals Molestation by Female at 10 made Her Sexually Promiscuous

First Lady Michelle Obama Delivers Remarks At "The Trip To Bountiful" Screening
Vanessa Williams is once again opening up about the molestation she suffered at the age of 10, as well as the impact it had on her youth. She first talked about the molestation in 2010.

For an episode of Oprah’s Master Class on OWN to air on Sunday, the singer/actress and former Miss America, says “I think it made me more sexually promiscuous and more sexually curious at a younger age than I should have been.”

Vanessa Williams - July 2014 - BN Movies & TV - BellaNaija.com 01
Vanessa was molested by the 18-year-old daughter of her friend’s family while they were on vacation.

Recounting the incident, the 51-year-old said, “One night she came into the room where my friend and I were sleeping, and she told me to lie down on the floor. She took my bottoms off and she said, ‘Be quiet,’ and she went down on me. I knew it felt good, but also something that was not supposed to be happening.”

After it happened, “conflicted” Vanessa wanted to tell her family but when she got home, her father’s brother passed away, so she chose not to speak.

“At that young age, having that happen to you in your body, it awakens your sexuality at an age where it shouldn’t be awakened” she said.

In 1983, Vanessa Williams lost her Miss America crown after photos of her in lesbian poses made its way to the press. But she has long forgotten about the incident.

“I think had that not happened in my life, and I had an opportunity to have a normal courtship with a boyfriend at 16 or whatever … there wouldn’t have been that shame that was always haunting me.” she concludes.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Kris Connor

1. onahboy

July 17, 2014 at 7:55 am

Very bad

2. @edDREAMZ

July 17, 2014 at 8:19 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Experience is the best teacher no doubt and all this molesters will never knw peace… Useless set of fellows…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. Jane

July 17, 2014 at 9:28 am

2 bad!

4. Victor Babs

July 17, 2014 at 11:18 am

Wow. Really interesting story. Good news is, she grew up to make a HUGE success out of her powerful singing voice. One of the best vocalists ever. Early set-backs in life did not overcome Vanessa Williams. She overcame them, and the foes who leaked those photos.

5. Bel

July 17, 2014 at 11:21 am

At about this same age I was molested by the daughter of a close family friend..on some weekends we are usually taken to their homes since we were much younger and they had grown ups who are supposed to keep ”an eye” on us.

On one occasion after a day at the park, we got home to shower and she asked me to undress. While I was in the tub, she came in with me..while both naked, she did things to me she shouldn’t have and she asked not to tell to anyone. I think she was about 16 at the time.

The second time was in her bedroom, she asked me to undress and lie on her where she robbed her body on me and touched me down there, she asked me to do the same which I obeyed. Even If I didn’t really know what was happening, it left something. I talked to my big sis about it who was usually in boarding school, she in turn told my mum..I really do not know if they believed it at the time but I knew my mom was cross with me and even scolded me which kindof left me withdrawn.

In the end, fast forward years back, I knew I developed this urge for ladies..once when I played with my female friend at about age 11, I tried practicing what transpired between my family’s friend daughter and I.Though I never had any real female to female sexual encounter as a grown up lady, sometimes I still wonder why I might have developed the urge for ladies..just reading Vanessa’s experience now, I understand better. I think the first sexual orientation kind of left a mark.

Parents, when it comes to molestation, it doesn’t have to be a guy..it could be anyone!

• Eni

July 20, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Its men they are evil. Am surprise about this, many young boys have been raped by women but its always the other way round that we got the hear the story. Men are evil isn’t it. Read a thread here where many gullible ladies said a male cannot be raped or molested sexually.

6. nene

July 17, 2014 at 11:28 am

wow. it’s weird that happened to her at the age of 10, she was young and in those days, very naive compared to a 10 year old in this century who knows about stuff like that at the age of 6 or 7. i believe being exposed to sexual things at a young age makes you more sexually promiscuous, it’s very true.

7. Http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

July 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm

There are lessons to be learnt every time I read these stories. Let the good Lord guide us in our dealings with our kids and kids of other people

8. tunmi

July 17, 2014 at 1:59 pm

It’s a cycle with the assault on children, they do not understand what has just happened, so they repeat the act on other children. It really is sad.

9. Jojo

July 17, 2014 at 4:23 pm

What she is saying is true. Most promiscuity is caused by early childhood molestation.
    God punish the sickos

10. sum1special

July 18, 2014 at 12:21 pm

She is so right. Most girls who were molested at a young age become very promiscious. So sad…we need to keep an eye on our young girls, very closely..It can happen to anyone.

11. trendycubicle.com

July 18, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Mothers should always watch and listen to their children, they should be able to sense when there’s change in their attitude. . Its hard to trust anyone these days.

12. tellietubbie

August 7, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I never knew i was molested until i read this. I thought we were playing a game didn’t feel good to me though i never thought about that day until i read this and realize that something wasn’t right.