Style

What are the Dos & Don’ts of Men’s Fashion? Read Lagos Style Enthusiast Denola Grey’s Guide

Men's Style Guide by Denola Grey - BellaNaija - July2014009

When it comes to the fashionable Lagos scene, men’s fashion and style enthusiast Denola Adepetun always puts his best foot forward. So it goes without saying that he knows a thing or two about dressing not just fashionably, but fashionably well.

So today, Denola who recently launched his blog – DenolaGrey.com – will be guiding our male fashion lovers (and females who would love to see their men dress a little more fashionably) on some tips when it comes to menswear.

Check it out!

***

While it could be easy to jump right in and tell men what they should not wear, it is imperative that I understand the target.

Nigerian men like to be as stylish as they can in the least ‘look-at- me ‘ way possible. However, everyone needs a little pick-me-up or in this case; advice, as some cannot easily express themselves with clothing as seamlessly as others .

So guys, here are a few things I can humbly suggest that we can take into consideration when dressing up, or shopping.

1. Bright Colors for Darker Skin TonesMen's Style Guide by Denola Grey - BellaNaija - July2014003

Try and stay away from dark , dull colors like grey or coffee brown. Nobody likes an overly conspicuous ‘peacock,’ but a little color never hurt nobody. Guys, mint, pale pink, light blue and light purple (lilac) are your friends. Black is always a safe option.

2. Say No To Unfortunate Pants

Men's Style Guide by Denola Grey - BellaNaija - July2014002

“U.P”s as I like to call them. I know for a fact that one thing girls look at is how well guys’ clothes fit. I am not a voltron for the ‘skinny trousers agenda’ but I do agree that well tailored pants, be it jeans or smart trousers’ go a long way in defining the line between ‘suave gentleman’ and ‘clumsy unkempt fellow’.

3. Running Shoes and Jeans DO NOT Equate

Men's Style Guide by Denola Grey - BellaNaija - July2014001
Just because some of us may be dads, doesn’t mean we have to adhere to the overly frumpy dress code. Vans and converses are acceptable with jeans. Keep the running shoes for your #fitfam needs.

4. The “I-Swear Shoe”

Men's Style Guide by Denola Grey - BellaNaija - July2014006
This is a sworn enemy. Run away from this, your shoes should not double up as fishing hooks. Opt for better fitting narrow toe oxfords or even monk straps.

5. White Shirt Galore

Men's Style Guide by Denola Grey - BellaNaija - July2014008
It’s a general staple. Have at least five crisp, quality-fabric , white shirts in your wardrobe, they go with anything and automatically make you look like you have your life together. You’re welcome!

Bonus

Haircuts

Men's Style Guide by Denola Grey - BellaNaija - July2014010
Find a haircut and barber that suits you perfectly and get it tamed once a week. It takes 20 minutes out of your day and can create positive lasting first impressions.

Alright guys, I’m ready to see us get out there and put in more effort. You have the right to personal style too. The girls don’t have to get all the applause.

Watch Denola’s Introduction video!

Photo Credit: Toyosi Faridah Kekere-Ekun

_______________________________________________________________________________

Men's Style Guide by Denola Grey - BellaNaija - July2014005About Denola Grey
Denola Grey is a media content generator. Denola Grey started his blog, www.denolagrey.com in June 2014. It consists of his thoughts, personal experiences, and style choices as he navigates his way through life. Denola has worked at PR Consulting New York and a fashion journalist for Genevieve. Denola alternates between working on his blog and other freelance projects.

Denola Grey is a media content generator. Denola Grey started his blog, www.denolagrey.com in June 2014. It consists of his thoughts, personal experiences, and style choices as he navigates his way through life. Denola has worked at PR Consulting New York and a fashion journalist for Genevieve. Denola alternates between working on his blog and other freelance projects.

1. Bella

July 25, 2014 at 10:49 am

Those loafers are giving me life right now, so comfy… and yummy

2. Ohgawd

July 25, 2014 at 10:53 am

cute style and very cute boy sef but I wish he would stay off make up…cheekbones yes but i see highlighter and contouring

• Dora the explorer

July 25, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I know right!!! contouring all the way!!! buh he’s cute tho
      I just wouldn’t be with a guy that is metrosexual..

3. Kili

July 25, 2014 at 10:59 am

The guy is fooooine

4. Ibinabo

July 25, 2014 at 11:03 am

Some serious contouring happened on his face… 😉

5. Olori Tari

July 25, 2014 at 11:03 am

Ah this guy. Lol, I haven’t even opened the blog yet but let’s just say I have a new favourite blog. #YumYum

6. Ibinabo

July 25, 2014 at 11:08 am

and what’s with the folded ends of his pants??

• Idak

July 25, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Immediately I saw that, I refused to take the article serious. I know fashion is personal but I can’t take any one above teenage years serious when he indulges in that stuff.

• Idak

July 26, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I have perused his blog and while my views about the folded thing still stands, I appreciate a man of style and Denola is a man of style. Some might find some of his choices a bit excessive but in view of his age, he can be excused.
      In all, well done to him for being consistently stylish.

• kastro

July 25, 2014 at 9:37 pm

That’s the new trend.

• please STOP

July 26, 2014 at 3:02 am

As in….This kind of article must be why Nigerian men now go around looking like clowns. I have seen a few here and there dressed in all them bright colors and looking dandy, I agree that many ought to step out of their comfort zone, try (a few at once and never lemon or bright pink ehem) colors, tailor their clothes etc but a man must never look like he is trying too hard. Contoured face? Long hiss. I’m out!

7. teniola

July 25, 2014 at 11:11 am

I love a guy who knows to look good, not just throw on random frumpy clothes. I won’t glam up just for you to throw on round neck and sneakers

8. tee

July 25, 2014 at 11:12 am

He looks good but seems to be so much into turn-up, skinny pants which unfortunately, I wouldn’t want my 35 year-old husband wearing. But then, Denola is not 35 (I guess) so whatever works for him.

9. 'Ladi

July 25, 2014 at 11:13 am

Nice tips, but I am the conservative type of guy when it comes to dressing. But keep it coming, someday I could try the bold colours and see how that works.

10. kk

July 25, 2014 at 11:20 am

I love the video. Sounds like a super intelligent young man! kudos to him

11. Omo1

July 25, 2014 at 11:21 am

There’s no way I will allow my man wear skinny or turned up trousers..what he sure knows though is how to look good 😀

12. Dekunle

July 25, 2014 at 11:22 am

Who is he and why should we care?

• ade

July 25, 2014 at 12:01 pm

‘YOU’ my friend are a NOBODY and NO ONE cares about you.

• Dekunle

July 25, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Who are you ade and why should I care what you say?

• Author Unknown

July 25, 2014 at 2:37 pm

We can safely assume that Dekunle and Ade don’t care for each other 🙂

13. Me

July 25, 2014 at 11:29 am

This whole dandy-esque quasi feminine style on the go these days just doesn’t work if your man ain’t skin and bones. My husband is built and I can’t imagine him rocking loafers, folded up pants, cravats and such stuff.

• Ona

July 25, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Gbam!

14. Meah

July 25, 2014 at 11:38 am

*gasp!* Is he wearing makeup???

15. swits

July 25, 2014 at 11:51 am

contour much?

16. some hater

July 25, 2014 at 11:58 am

do i see countouring??? this Denola is hot sha <3<3

• Meh

July 26, 2014 at 9:35 am

His Cheekbones are entirely a genetic thing. No contouring needed.

17. justdeywakapass

July 25, 2014 at 11:59 am

Not all men would want to look like a girl – make up, folded pants, etc. yeah, i know what you’ll say, “its his style” but seriously, how many of you would allow your husbands, not boyfriend o, to dress like this?

18. AMY

July 25, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I Think i like my man dressed in nice dull colours like purple, navy blue, etc. bright colored shirts i agree too but pink pants and other bright colored pants gets a HELL NO. He’s got to look like a matured man not a six month old baby. As for those fish hook shoes???????????????????????????? i declare a blatant NO (That i agree with Mr contouring & highlighting; go easy on it Brah). those shoes reminds me of those Aba Umunna ya boys that just finished their apprenticeship.

• Omo1

July 25, 2014 at 3:48 pm

ROFTL

19. AMAKA

July 25, 2014 at 12:32 pm

You got me at “defining the line between ‘suave gentleman’ and ‘clumsy unkempt fellow’ Some brothers be clumsy for days!

20. Girl

July 25, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Very cute young man. Unfortunately I don’t think women are into men that are dressed like this: its not butch enough. I don’t want my man in skinny pants or in pink! The article is good but the visuals won’t work for a grown man that wants to be taken seriously.

21. roots odutola

July 25, 2014 at 1:22 pm

lmaoooo fine boy

22. Stephanie-Feld

July 25, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Awww Denola finally gets featured on BN. Looking and dressing suave since Hankamer Business School days. I just always wondered; during final exam weeks at Baylor you still always dressed good even when some of us were wearing sweat pants and looking all scruffy (hot mess). And how can I forget the fancy bow ties and skinny ties. I love me some think outside the box men. Men that are not afraid to try bright colors because they are not exclusive to only women. Men that love to take extra good care of themselves.
    I like where you said “Everyone has a right to personal style The girls don’t have to get all the applause.'” Keep up the good work!

23. ak

July 25, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Me i would like to point out that white contrast shawl lapels are supposed to be worn only to dinners or weddings/ extremely important events.

And his looks cheap btw… like its from ASOS.

But that’s none of my business

• Donald-Landon-24 (formerly known as Donald-Landon before someone purloined it)

July 25, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Since when did it become criminal for someone to shop at ASOS. I guess you think someone has to be decked in with designers from top to bottom to look good.

• ak

July 25, 2014 at 4:30 pm

No you don’t have to be decked in designers to look good.

But for clothes to “look good” they must NEVER EVER “look cheap”

You can rock a look from “Bend down select” and people could think you’re wearing Balenciaga. lmao…

More like Balenciclueless

24. abi

July 25, 2014 at 2:26 pm

If my husband wore these clothes, I’d be worried . If it was my son however, I’d love him (minus the makeup). I guess what I’m saying is that certainly needs to be age appropriate!

• jeremy's mum

July 25, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Who determines what is age appropriate? Whose standards?
      Who makes/sets these rules?
      People are allowed to be different. Nothing wrong with a 50year dressed this way in my opinion. Age is in the mind my dear

• tee

July 26, 2014 at 12:44 am

Jeremy’s mom, if Jeremy still dresses like this when he is 50, wahala dey oh!

25. Gorgeous

July 25, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Hes a hot guy, just a bit too sweet for me. There is something about a man that knows how to look good. But i like a man who is kind of clueless too, so i could help him through such issues. I also prefer my men in blue, black, white…basic colors. Cheers 🙂

• Anon

July 25, 2014 at 3:33 pm

There is something about a man that knows how to look good…I just admire them from a distance.

But i like a man who is kind of clueless too, so i could help him through such issues. I also prefer my men in blue, black, white…basic colors. ..Yes this resonates with me.

My worry about such a guy is that we will be fighting for wardrobe space and mirror time. Nah!

26. Ona

July 25, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Lordt! Did this boy contour his face?

27. mylittlecuteface

July 25, 2014 at 3:35 pm

He kind of looks or reminds me of Jamie Fox. I don’t like the turned up pants sha or almost tight pants either. But I agree well cut pants are very important.

28. fusion OAU

July 25, 2014 at 4:03 pm

The turn up skinny pants are a NO NO for me, but i totally agree on the white shirt part, every guy should have proper fitting crisp white shirts they would go with almost anything. and as for the i-swear shoes, they are a total NOOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! they just sooo ugly!!!!

29. ak

July 25, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I know!

As far as Style goes, Blue, black, white and grey are a Man’s best friend. You can never go wrong

As far as Fashion, by all means, venture out into the abyss..

30. ak

July 25, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I personally love his first look…

And i can bet most of the items are not designer.

But that white contrast shawl jacket, Denola, if you’re reading this, please throw it away and invest in some Giorgio Armani’s, Burberry’s, CK’s and shit.

Certain things must never look cheap..

Just like a woman carrying a cheap looking bag/ wearing cheap looking shoes is tacky, so is a Man wearing a cheap blazer

31. babe

July 25, 2014 at 5:46 pm

denola finished his alevels at oxbridge in naija in 2008.so he is between ages of 23/24.

32. Friend

July 25, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Lol actually he naturally has very defined cheekbones which are pronounced because of how the photos were done. Definitely not contoured come on guys

• ak

July 25, 2014 at 6:35 pm

actually i see a little bronzer, blush…. which are essential for contouring.

33. Changing Faces

July 25, 2014 at 6:48 pm

He has some good tips… however I can not take a man dressed like him seriously; with all the colours and shiny shoes.

34. Dee

July 25, 2014 at 6:53 pm

He is a well dressed young man

35. HILDA

July 25, 2014 at 7:37 pm

JESU…. THIS GUY GOT HIS FACE BEAT SHA..!! MAKEUP AGAIN??? NAWA OOO

36. stylebymolekor

July 25, 2014 at 8:36 pm

much as he looks trendy, to me fashion for a guy should be about his personal style and body type. Also a man nearing his 40s dressed like this would look like he’s desperate to cling to his youth. I do agree with the tips given a hundred percent but for the pictures, the turn up/cuff pants is a fad I really wish would just stop! Trousers with a quarter break or half breaks at the very most is fine and about bright colors, unless a man knows how to work in the colors, using bright colors as an accent in ties, pocket squares, maybe even the shirts is preferable to me.

37. aj

July 25, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Thats my nigga right there…Love you denolly. You look good.

38. jennietobbie

July 25, 2014 at 9:22 pm

This MAN is delicioussssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! What a foooiiiinnneeee looking man.

Damn.!!! *exhales

#facts!!

39. Joy

July 25, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Love it look, everything. There’s nothing wrong with a guys on a chill relax day or out for dinner looking like this. He dresses well, face on point (yeah i know he has makeup on).
    My guy, i liek your style.

40. Joy

July 25, 2014 at 9:37 pm

spelling issues…sorry 🙂

41. nene

July 25, 2014 at 10:27 pm

i don’t want my man dressing like this . not a fan of the metrosexual look biko. my idea of how a man should look and dress is ferries’ husband, josh duhamel.

42. ROBINAHOOD

July 26, 2014 at 12:42 am

is this brother wearing a contour? lol

43. Tony

July 26, 2014 at 8:06 am

I am not a lady so i would not comment on the make up. One thing i noted in his advice or tips is that it does not cover the ceremony the men should be dressing for. The queue is towards casual and in such a scenario i would go for most of his recommendations. But definitely not for an Official work session or one of those formal dinners.

However, above an age of 40, no man should attempt this. Also note that his recommendations would not work on chubby guys. No offence intended. For skinny people it would look lively.

Men should be adventurous and the fashion trend is improving. Lets embrace and encourage people who take the time to contribute in their own way and provide constructive contributions.

44. Wiklo

July 27, 2014 at 6:39 am

Please Sir Denola, next time u pick out ur clothes and accessories ensure you buy the correct belt size for your waist….#BeltSizeMatters…….It is very wrong having a belt that almost goes round your waist twice leading to you tucking it into the side as depicted in the 1st picture..

45. Wiklo

July 27, 2014 at 6:41 am

And make an effort to “sometimes” match your belt color to your shoes’ color….

46. BlueEyed

August 30, 2014 at 7:52 am

Men’s fashion over the years have become a lot less tame, but there is a line between a man who loves fashion, a man who has style and looks good and then any regular joe. A young brother into fashion can reckon with mr denola, turn up pants, bright colors, prints and boho accessories. While a brother who appreciates looking good and fine taste does so without losing the essentials of his masculinity. But still personal style is the influence, find out what works for you and in a bid to try new things don’t lose yourself.

47. kamoru

July 8, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Men need to be coperate in dressing .

48. Patrick

October 5, 2015 at 3:13 am

I think he has amazing style. Let us not forget fashion is a form of expression- whether mood, age, what not. So all this talk about a 40 year old man not wanting trouser cuffs (folding of the end of the pair of trousers) is probably true, but that does not take anything away from this. Appreciate

49. Ericadianas

December 30, 2017 at 7:57 am

great post. More men need to see this.