News

What’s Nigeria’s Best Bank? Zenith, GT, Access & UBA make “Top 1000 World Banks” List

BellaNaija.com

The Banker, a journal of the Financial Times Group of London has unveiled its annual list profiling the “Top 1000 World Banks“.

And 13 Nigerian banks made the list after the top 290.

According to the report, Zenith Bank leads at 293. Following are Guaranty Trust Bank at 415, First Bank of Nigeria at 424, Access Bank at 532, United Bank for Africa at 539, and Fidelity Bank at 622.

Also listed were Ecobank Nigeria, Skye Bank, First City Monument Bank, Diamond Bank, Stanbic IBTC Holdings, Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria and Union Bank of Nigeria.

It is a great feat for the country as no other African country had up to 13 banks on the list.

A representative of The Banker in Nigeria, Kunle Ogedengbe revealed that the ranking was based on their Tier-1 capital.

31 banks in Africa make the list, including Nigeria’s top 13 representing 41.94%. Other African countries on the list are South Africa, Egypt, Angola, Gabon, Kenya, Mauritius, Morocco and Togo.

Do you agree? What’s your favourite Nigerian bank?

1. Gistyinka Blog

July 7, 2014 at 9:33 am

Nigeria banking sector are doing great..

2. amaa

July 7, 2014 at 9:36 am

Na lie oh biko what was the criteria for judging. If it is customer service and ripping customers off I can assure you Zenith bank and GTBank comes out at the top. I don’t know about Access bank and the rest but boy is the Nigerian banking industry a joke . I hope emiefiele reigns them in oh wait he used to be a zenith bank employee I guess it’s hopeless to wish for the stars at this point

3. Jhenique

July 7, 2014 at 9:43 am

GTbank deserves to be on the top tho. Zenith girls are too haughty rude and saucy. GTBank has the best customer service anytime, anyday. Their services are superb and just plain customer-friendly.

• Dinky

July 8, 2014 at 10:24 am

GTBank has NO customer service. as in , none! and I say this without blinking! they should not be on that spot! Zenith is fantastic if u consider everything (banking services and customer service) they totally deserve that spot. For customer service, Access bank tops the list of fantastic customer service. First bank is less rigid and actually now renders modern banking and very convenient. FCMB is NOT a bank.

and yes, i use all these banks.

4. dp

July 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

Zenith and GTB are just there jare Zenith charges high abeg

5. aisha

July 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

Gtbank deserves to be on that list…Best customer service ever!

6. Busarni

July 7, 2014 at 10:26 am

Zenith bank girls feel they are the ishh. Very rude and unfriendly. Well that’s non of my business.

7. tayo

July 7, 2014 at 10:35 am

Gtbank is way better than zenith,zenith charges are to high,they even charge on savings account,which is even meant to be profitable for d client

8. oluetan

July 7, 2014 at 10:53 am

gtbank is the best………………………………………..

9. O

July 7, 2014 at 11:21 am

GTB all the way

10. chizzy

July 7, 2014 at 11:40 am

GTB re customer friendly while Zenith bank girls feel too big

11. laila

July 7, 2014 at 11:44 am

Hmmmm GTBank staff…is that you?! GTBank is great for multimillionaire and also people who only use online banking. For others, wahala! ATM lines are always too long, personal banking for us ordinary folks is non-existent, the banks are always sooooo full of people.

12. word

July 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm

If u want to enjoy banking without plenty frustration, have a GTBANK acct operated with ur ATM card and online banking only. Avoid the banking hall. With d full options in their Internet banking u can consumate almost any banking transaction. Just avoid their banking halls if I don’t want frustration to finish u

13. word

July 7, 2014 at 12:05 pm

***on their Internet banking

14. Cima

July 7, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Hmmn right from university GTB has been the bank that cares about me, I withdraw to my last hungry kobo. Zenith descriminates a lot. And for my Business now, GTB works perfectly for me. Chidinma Uzodike said so….

15. iriawo

July 7, 2014 at 12:29 pm

TO ME, THE BIG, STRONG AND RELIABLE BANK REMAIN THE BEST. THEY R NOW EVEN BIGGER, STRONGER AND MORE RELIABLE.U CAN BANK WITH UNION BANK AND GO TO SLEEP WITH BOTH EYES CLOSED NO HIDDEN CHARGES. UNION BANK HAS INTEGRITY.

16. AI

July 7, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Diamond bank is the most customer friendly bank for me and trust me i have accounts with four of the mentioned banks.

17. Dizzy

July 7, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Impressive, we are really seeing progress.

18. viva

July 7, 2014 at 2:36 pm

GTBank bst Dey are js 2fst with dr. customers

19. damsel

July 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm

It use to be Gtb for me but now am beginning to give it to Diamond bank.

20. Jerry

July 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm

nice one but GTB and Diamond bank should top that list i mean Africa aspect because oyebo no go ever gree make we pass them. lol

21. Miss_Flygerian

July 7, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I use and believe in only two banks in Nigeria; Diamond bank and GTBank. The rest are not worth my time.

22. Dinky

July 8, 2014 at 10:23 am

and yes, i use all these banks.

23. Nosa

July 9, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Everybody mentioning Zenith, GTbank, First Bank etc i want to Know your thoughts on Skye Bank, thanks

• Robb

July 9, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I think Skye Bank is one of the best banks in this country when it comes to dealing with customers and charges. They come down to the level of the general public. I started banking with them about 6months ago and I have never even had any problem. Skye bank’s internet service is great too. I realized GTBank has a lot of hidden charges and they have the worst customer service ever. Their customer service used to be good but I don’t know what is wrong with them these days. I don’t know much about Zenith bank.

24. timothy emmanuel

October 8, 2014 at 8:34 pm

i want to no the numbers of banks in Nigeria

25. timothy emmanuel

October 8, 2014 at 8:37 pm

i told you dot i want to no the numbers of banks in nigeria

26. timothy emmanuel

October 8, 2014 at 8:37 pm

notice

27. Gaskiya

October 13, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Nigerian banks are mere money collectors. They don’t help small businesses no matter their turnover. When diamond bank helps they do it only for one month at a time and at over 10% interest rate per month! I have been a victim. Zenith bank too saucy too disrespectful of customers. Zenith does not care!

28. Smith

March 11, 2015 at 10:30 am

Access Bank is the most customer friendly bank, I make transactions a lot with these Nigerian banks.