Relationships

BN Weddings Catch Up!: 2 Years Later, Ghanaian Sarah & Canadian Nick Speak on their Love

Sarah & Nick - Ghanaian & Canadian Wedding | BellaNaija 07We always get requests to catch up with brides and grooms on life after their fab wedding. Today your wish has been granted!

Sarah and Nick met at university in British Columbia, Canada.

Two years later, we ask the beautiful bride on how life has been since the wedding, their families’ reactions (with the mix of cultures and races at play) and of course, their beautiful love story… by the way, they got married at their university where they met …. how cute 🙂

For recent BN Weddings catch up features, see Here, Here, Here and Here.

Enjoy and be inspired!

***

Sarah & Nick - Ghanaian & Canadian Wedding | BellaNaija 01Our Love Story!
We met while I was studying at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. We got introduced by a mutual friend in my class. He was nice and charming, always going out of his way to make sure I was safe and happy knowing I was million miles away from home (Ghana). We were best friends for about a year and dated 2 years after that. We were together all the time until I went home to spend a summer my family and not with him. He was sad yet happy for me at the same time. He didn’t want me to go but it had to be done. I spent about 2 months home and we made sure we stayed in touch through Skype and other social media networks. After spending half of the summer with my family it was time to spend the other half with Nick. I came back to Canada super excited to see him and so was he. He said he will never let me go and the next time I do go he will be coming with me. 4 months after my return to Kamloops Nick decided to pop the big question!

Sarah & Nick - Ghanaian & Canadian Wedding | BellaNaija 02The Proposal
Nick proposed at his favourite restaurant, McDonalds 😀 He proposed one Sunday after church around 12 midnight in McDonalds. He proposed there because he wanted my parents to be the first to know about our engagement. With the time difference in Ghana 12am would be about 8am and this meant my parent would be waking up to good news. The proposal wasn’t anything fancy, I was in my PJs the night he dragged me out of my house for the random fast food hangout but I must say it was really thoughtful of him to seek my parents blessings first. He proposed on October 2011 and we had our wedding on August 2012.   Sarah & Nick - Ghanaian & Canadian Wedding | BellaNaija 03BellaNaija Weddings: How did both families react, given the blend of cultures?
Sarah: My mum loved him the minute he met him. My mum first met him in 2009 we she visited me during her summer holidays. At that time we had just started dating, and mum loved how respectful he was. The ice breaker for mum was the fact that he was a Christian and grew up in a Christian home. After mum’s summer vacay was done, she spread the news at home and soon everybody knew who Nick was. To my parents it was love at first sight. Sarah & Nick - Ghanaian & Canadian Wedding | BellaNaija 04BNW: How has married life been?
Sarah: Most people say the first 2 years of marriage is the hardest but to us it was the most exciting journey. Coming home to each other and knowing you are never alone. To me it made me feel more at home in Canada. Knowing there is some one who is there to protect, care and listen to me anytime of the day.

BNW: Thank you so much for sharing your love story to inspire others! Happy Anniversary and we wish you all the best! Sarah & Nick - Ghanaian & Canadian Wedding | BellaNaija 05 Sarah & Nick - Ghanaian & Canadian Wedding | BellaNaija 06

***
Wedding Photography: Danni K Johnson

Wedding Info

Wedding Ceremony Venue: Thompson Rivers University Horticulture Garden
Reception: Plaza Hotel Downtown kamloops
Wedding Dress: Viva Bridal Kamloops
Suit: ASOS
Makeup: Beauty Code Kamloops

1. kenny

August 5, 2014 at 2:52 pm

i do feel excited when i see a white and black marriage. God bless your union

2. Ololajulo

August 5, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Mwah!!!

3. Uc

August 5, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Lovely………….

4. bee

August 5, 2014 at 3:04 pm

i love the simplicity

5. Dee

August 5, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Beautiful, I love that Black women are dating outside our race more. Let’s mix everything up lol

• titi

August 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Say it again oh. I wish it will become an epidemic where all gorgeous big ass black women will drop all the black men and date white. The bigger the ass, you date a white man. Lets show them. Lets see how they feel. Me 2014 do or die, I am getting with the swirl, I will end up marrying one. And whoever told you ALL White men had small – done told u wrong. That is a lie from the pit of hell. 🙂 deceive ya self. They treat women better. And if he loves u he will learn your language. So no worries.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 5, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Chile, gon’ outta here with yo’ crazy self… and go bag yourself that wonderfully made man (of any color) 🙂

• Di

August 6, 2014 at 6:42 pm

They prefer big buxom women, they aint into the big a$$ ish. Been around too many everyday to know. Lml at your wish. go out there and grab one girl!

6. wendy

August 5, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Now that is one fine oyinbo boy!!!!!!That is how you do it!!! Pick the best of the crop if you decide to cross over..lol

• nene

August 5, 2014 at 3:44 pm

truth! she’s also a pretty woman too.

7. ebony87

August 5, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Awwwwww.God bless your union.

8. Jhennique

August 5, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I love how laid back the groom looked on his day. Im so much into this idea of a laid-back, midday, beach or garden wedding. everybody feeling relaxed, no pressure whatsoever, no need for unnecessary decking up and high heels and asoebi nonsense. Just come happy and free.

• justsittinghere

August 5, 2014 at 4:29 pm

lol girl you vex o. “aso ebi nonsense”. I agree though…so much pressure with weddings these days and its only recently bellanaija started showing “laid back weddings” na so so this one’s daughter, lagbaja’s son.

• Omoté

August 6, 2014 at 10:00 am

Lol! Na so so this one’s daughter, Lagbaja’s son.

9. chizzy

August 5, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Just Beautiful

10. 4tunechuks

August 5, 2014 at 3:37 pm

This wedding is so on point….. abeg oga oyibo no fold your trouser like that next time….

11. brules

August 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

lols @no need for aso ebi nonsense

12. Quirky

August 5, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I want a fine Christian oyibo man too…

• jcsgrl

August 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Nne hurry on to christian mingles and you will find fine, eligible christian bruvs. My gf who recently got divorced with 2 kids don found her one. If I begin to describe how great this guy is ehn, it looks made up. Is it how caring? Or even spiritually? He will pray for her and the kids every night. And he’s never been married o. He’s a pastor to a nice no congregation. My friend who was treated by crap from her ibo ex can’t believe she could find love like this. Erm she can thank me ltr for setting up her CM profile and encouraging to date outside the black race!

• beebee

August 6, 2014 at 10:50 am

dont be too muchin a hurry to judge a book by its cover tho!

13. Yinka

August 5, 2014 at 4:20 pm

They look so cute together……..
    Random observation, it seems like when white guys go black, they go black. I’ve noticed they usually go for the dark chocolate skin sisters

• Mimie

August 6, 2014 at 1:43 am

True though! I noticed it too. The ladies are usually dark.., unless maybe it’s pics we’re constantly confronted with. All in all, whether a dark or fair African woman, they’re still going to end up having lovely caramel babies 🙂 <3

• Marilyn

October 27, 2015 at 6:40 pm

I have noticed the same thing! 🙂 I am an African American woman with dark skin; my husband is a dirty blonde haired, blue eyed beauty that is part German and part Czech. *I* believe it stems from the fact that they truly see beauty in people of color– that when they are graced to be in the presence of skin-tones of a darker shade; a shade that some– if not most would consider as unappealing… they gravitate to it and see it as it is… beautiful. Not only that, but as human beings we are attracted to what is uncommon or different from what we are use to being exposed to.

• ROBINAHOOD

August 6, 2014 at 3:53 am

because they are not insecure like some other guys *coff coff* they mostly marry black women for genuine reasons

• idomagirl

August 6, 2014 at 8:18 am

*chuckling*

14. Jejelove

August 5, 2014 at 4:24 pm

So happy for you girl! Go Kamloops……..Beautiful city located in the heart of British Columbia.

15. Ada

August 5, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I wish you both many many many more years. Amen

16. pretti

August 5, 2014 at 4:33 pm

congrats, mine is coming up oh

17. tinnnnnnu29

August 5, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Awww so cute

18. yourstrulyblogposts.blogspot.com

August 5, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Awww bless you guys 🙂

19. sum1special

August 5, 2014 at 5:03 pm

the white guy is hot and very goodlooking.

20. casandra

August 5, 2014 at 5:07 pm

wat a beauty, black always marries white. me na koran guy i one marri. if u see any one let me know…. best wishes dear….

21. AT

August 5, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Stunning couple!

22. mulikat

August 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm

cute ,beautifull kids coming soon by Gosh grace.

23. Mz Socially Awkward...

August 5, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Awww, look how great their body language is in that first photo. I don’t know them and yet I’m the way they seem so… in tune with each other. And the “gawjusness” of both parties is no bad thing, either 😉

May God continue to give you lovebirds unmeasurable joy in marriage, come what may! Plus, I’m with whichever one of the above commenters who said they’re looking for a christian oyibo… “yelz” oh, jump right in, sista but us Naija chicks need to ease up on the fierceness a little to help the oyibo brothas come hither becos dem too dey fear… dem no really get the same M.O of toasting wey our Naija bros get.

And that MacDonald’s proposal made me smile. My senior manager always makes me laugh when he tells me the story of how he asked his wife out and took her to Burger King for their first ever date (they were both in their late teens). 20 years later, they’re married with a boy and a girl, great careers and still going strong (plus the chick probably feels good cruising her BMW X5 which that 17yr old boy who took her to Burger King grew up to buy for her). I love cute stories like that. 🙂

24. JoanOfArc

August 5, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Loving the love!

25. Berry Dakara

August 5, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Awww, I loved reading through this. They are so such a good looking couple! May you have manh many more years together

berrydakara.blogspot.com

26. Zee

August 5, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Awwwww, this is just so beautiful!!!!! They look great together and I love their love.

27. Millicent

August 5, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Love this. Love. IT.!!!!! Hmmm.

28. teekay

August 5, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Girl help me tell dem o, I keep saying dis white dude dey r just so romantic and caring,……..girl you just inspired more, happy wedding anniversary to u guyz

29. Ify Ada | ChiefWedsLolo.Com

August 6, 2014 at 5:00 am

I have seen their pictures around the nets and wondered who they were. Now I know. They are such a stunning couple. Anyone else feel the emotions through the pictures of them kissing? Now, that’s real love. Congrats to them!

30. idomagirl

August 6, 2014 at 8:21 am

#teamswirl!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥

31. Grown Woman

August 6, 2014 at 9:18 am

aww such a gorg couple.May they always find lots of joy and happiness in their homes.

32. Omoté

August 6, 2014 at 10:03 am

The groom is terribly cute! I know my mom wud av danced for joy oh!

33. Omo1

August 6, 2014 at 11:02 am

I remember them..I loved them then, and I still do now..their union is so infectious..there’s just something I like about white guy/black girl..it just kind of breaks through all barriers 😀

34. jane.A

September 10, 2014 at 10:39 am

Vry simple and romantic.best part-their kids wuld be so cute.#mixrace