Style

Denola Grey: The Ethics of Finishing Touches! Tips for the Stylish Wedding Guest

Denola Grey for Bellanaija Style - BellaNaija - August2014004

2014 has been a year of weddings, at least In my circle. As much as I can’t stand the concept of Aso Ebi etc., I have reluctantly joined the ‘trad-gang’ and have attended these weddings.

I must say, guys, you’ve been doing so well lately. Minus that ‘One Guy’ that still insists on wearing sunglasses indoors regardless of the occasion or any sensible logic, I am generally pleased to see that my fellow brothers are taking time to put themselves together.

I have a few more tips I would like to share on looking stylish as a wedding guest. Stay with me for a few sentences:

1. Suit Trousers are meant to be tailored to perfection
This is literally something that could be fixed at your local tailor’s. Guys, your suit trousers shouldn’t fall as carelessly as a pair of South Pole or Fubu Jeans circa the 90’s. There is nothing clumsier and sloppier than baggy, long, suit pants. Make sure your suit, in general, is tailored to fit you like a glove.

Denola Grey for Bellanaija Style - BellaNaija - August2014003

2. Patent shoes are prime
They go with anything; ‘trad’, a suit or jeans. Patent shoes are the perfect transition piece. Get a good pair and send me a thank you later.

Denola Grey for Bellanaija Style - BellaNaija - August2014001

3. No driving shoes with slacks
I have noticed this more often than I would care to admit. Driving moccasins are NOT meant to be worn with a suit. I know some of us may be proud to own Tod’s and we can’t help ourselves with wanting to show them off every chance we get, but they have no business on your feet when wearing a suit.

The wrong pair of shoes could turn you away from looking like a James Bond to an extra in a low budget 2 Chainz video. Leave the driving shoes with slim jeans or shorts.

Denola Grey for Bellanaija Style - BellaNaija - August2014005

4. An ode to ‘The White Trad Mafia’
Hey, Puff Daddy Called from 1998, he wants his swag back!

I know over the years, everyone has complained about us wearing sunglasses indoors, yet, we still insist on carrying on. I hate to generalize, but I’ve observed that its common with the ‘white-trad gang’. You already look clean, don’t mar your look by adhering to the ‘douchiest’ thing you could possibly do. This may fall on deaf ears, but ah well, it was worth a shot.

Denola Grey for Bellanaija Style - BellaNaija - August2014002

5. Please ‘Oudh’ in moderation
Hey y’all, I love my scents. My mother always told me it was important to smell good at all times, but sometimes, we overdo it.

If you’re using an Oudh or Eau De Cologne, please spray in moderation. You shouldn’t be able to double up as a mobile air freshener. Your appearance can be noticed through other less offensive or overbearing ways.

Ok, that’s all I got so far. Please keep up the good work folks, I’m learning from y’all as well. Fix up, get ready, get suave…

***

We’d like to wish Denola a huge happy birthday today!

Photo Credit: Toyosi Faridah Kekere-Ekun

Denola Grey is a media content generator. Denola Grey started his blog, www.denolagrey.com in June 2014. It consists of his thoughts, personal experiences, and style choices as he navigates his way through life. Denola has worked at PR Consulting New York and a fashion journalist for Genevieve. Denola alternates between working on his blog and other freelance projects.

1. Priscy

August 13, 2014 at 1:18 pm

This guy likes folding his pants too much

• Dee

August 13, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Lol, okay?

• Bella

August 14, 2014 at 9:05 am

LKWMD – maybe he is on his way to , from, past the beach!

2. Simsi

August 13, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Happt birthday denola. Nice article. I hate that sunglasses thing

3. ade

August 13, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Cool write up! I cant stand guys that wear sunglasses indoors at weddings or occasions, its so obvious they r trying to be cool! and its very cooless, lol

4. Nabz

August 13, 2014 at 1:34 pm

His taste in shoes is impeccable!

5. Joan85

August 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Denola is so stylish though. And yes, that sunglasses indoors thing is just way too tacky.
    Happy birthday! 🙂

• Ola

August 14, 2014 at 12:55 am

Karl Lagerfield disagrees and so do I.

6. Asgrl

August 13, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Blank stare….

7. Say the truth

August 13, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Sus

8. bobo

August 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Wearing sunglasses indoors is a an approved fashion trend. It gives you that mystery look..plus its stylish depending on the type of sunglasses (with the emblems and all that)

• Jo!

August 13, 2014 at 2:48 pm

hunh???

• Ewa

August 13, 2014 at 3:22 pm

lol…

• Meg

August 13, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Oh, so its about the emblems, ee kwa? I’m sorry I’ve been judging o, I thought sunglasses were to guard our delicate eyes from the glare of the SUN!

• cos I say so

August 19, 2014 at 3:17 am

Yes that’s what sunglasses is for… but please note the sun before the glasses… there’s no sun inside a room or inside a church hall or inside a reception hall or inside a club @ 2am
      There’s no sun “inside” period,so keep the sunglasses for the sun’s rays
      God bless you as you comply

• Que

August 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Biko where did u generate ur own trend from…….

Well my own take is…as long as d said wearer is NOT my company/date/brother etc at an event, he shld carry on. The one I will totally smash is if my Groom for reasons unwritten decides to try it….. I CANT properly verbalise how irritated I feel when I see Grooms in their wedding photos indoors (and even sometimes outdoor sef) with glasses on…. one even dared kiss d bride with sunshade on as d room dark reach….ooooo…..hell fire!!!

• *Real* Nice Anon

August 13, 2014 at 3:31 pm

No, it is not. One just ends up looking like an idiotic baboon who is an airhead.

• Stephanie-Feld

August 13, 2014 at 4:10 pm

The only time when I think wearing sunglasses indoors can be valid is if you have: Astigmatism, Retina detachment problems, Blind, or a black eye from getting beat up. I f you don’t have any of the the above, you have no business wearing one indoors.

9. Meanwhile

August 13, 2014 at 2:47 pm

His contouring shaaaaa, no be here

• Stephanie-Feld

August 13, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Denola’s defined Cheekbones has been like that for as long as I can remember. No contouring. Those of us that went to College or Oxbridge with him know this very well..

• Emma

August 14, 2014 at 7:51 am

haba! SMH…
      you should see his Mum , it’s in the genes…

10. www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com

August 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I like his easy writing style; very light and breezy. Don’t care much for men’s fashion but the only thing I took from this is OUDH IN MODERATION. Seriously! This applies to ladies as well, people be choking others these days without a care in the world. So not cool!
    This Oudh madness began with the Tom Ford craze. Spritz very lightly, it’s a very strong scent already, it’s easily overpowering so one has to make a conscious effort to tone it down.
    One of my friends wears an Oudh fragrance by Tom Ford and every time she comes to my place my little nephew wakes up and starts sneezing. I use one by Aramis and the first time I used it carelessly people were turning their noses and looking at me like I was physically assaulting them. That’s literally how bad it can be.

11. www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com

August 13, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I also forgot to add that I’m certain Denola’s blog will lead him to bigger things. He certainly knows his onions when it comes to fashion.

12. niyoola

August 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Please are those his cheekbones or contouring at work?
    Honest question.

13. sum1special

August 13, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Nice shoes.

14. Simmie

August 13, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Tips to styling wedding guests?please stop!

15. Concerned citizen

August 13, 2014 at 9:12 pm

My dear in this time of ebola it’s best you get right with your God and stop dis fashion of a tin

16. Nonya

August 14, 2014 at 12:44 am

Only girls have a problem with guys wearing sunglasses indoors. #justsaying

• cos I say so

August 19, 2014 at 3:19 am

And the guys dress for the girls

17. adelegirl

August 14, 2014 at 8:16 am

Ah! This Denola’s shoe game no be here o! Bobo yen make sense gan! Great tips. I am so glad a young stylish Nigerian man is talking about the white kaftan “lagos big boy” uniform and indoor dark sunglasses craze, Was beginning to think it was de rigueur for all young happening Nigerian men. Such an annoying habit! He looks like he knows his onions. Off to his blog to get fashion tips for le boo. Bobo mi cannot carry last in looking good 😉

• cos I say so

August 19, 2014 at 3:20 am

Been there,done that
      Positively hooked

18. Jhennique

August 14, 2014 at 9:49 am

All i know is that my groom must not evn bring with him a pair of sunglasses on our wedding day. same for the grooms men too. i strongly am irritated by the crap attitude of men wearing SUN glasses indoors. do you have conjuctivitis????? there are fashionable transparent shades if you must wear them indoors. Dont! Just Dont!!!

Denola is my male fashion crush. he achieves the stylish look qite well and always looks so relaxed at it. Unlike the likes of Uti and Ik Ogbonna that always look like they wanna fly………………..lol #ImOut

19. Ritter Standley

August 24, 2014 at 7:01 am

The pants and shoes really looks vintage but it’s way too elegant. Excellent. Great post!

20. Mario Nwolisa

April 8, 2016 at 8:36 am

Just read this article.Denola is my guy,he has a superior test in men’s fashion…happy birthday..Denola Grey

21. Martin Lucien

April 22, 2016 at 10:03 am

everything written by Denola Grey is great try it…….buh seriously av tried wearing sunglasses inside a wedding reception and the girls kept gazing. ……try it makes u get the attention of people present. ….nice tip grey