Scoop

Read Omoni Oboli’s Speech at the Presidential Screening of “Being Mrs Elliot”

BellaNaija.com

Omoni Oboli at Presidential Villa - August 2014 - BN Movies & TV - BellaNaija.com
Nollywood star Omoni Oboli was invited by President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan for a private screening of her movie Being Mrs Elliot at the Presidential Banquet Hall in Abuja.

She delivered an inspiring speech. Read;

My name is Omoni Oboli, and I represent Naija!

Please forgive me if my protocol etiquette falls short in any way. I’m just an ordinary Waffi girl, who isn’t accustomed to being in the presence of such eminence.

I earnestly appreciate you all for being here this evening to preview this movie that was written, produced and directed by me.

Growing up in Nigeria as a child, I couldn’t in my wildest dreams imagine that I would be standing here today before you all, because leadership was always perceived as distant from the common man, but by God’s grace do I see today a President that is so in touch with his people in his simplicity that even the seemingly trivial things that touch us as a people do not escape his notice and due attention.

I am happy that I am a living witness to the enormous love of Nigeria and Nigerians as demonstrated by you, our President. Thank you Sir.

We, the Nollywood industry can attest to the magnanimity of your love and support. We never had it so good! You have given us a voice and the means to express our enormous talent, such that it has helped to reflect the position we now have in Africa, and indeed the rest of the world in terms of our economic standpoint as a nation. We only ask that God would continue to bless and keep you and your family, your Executive Cabinet and the entire leadership of the nation at this time in government, and to grant you the wisdom and grace to excel in all your efforts to grow this great nation and your homes.

It might seem, to some, insensitive to be previewing this movie at such a time as this, but I beg to differ. When our very way of life is threatened, this is the sort of thing we should do to remind ourselves that we will not give into anything that would threaten its continuance. So we brought this movie for simple reasons; to make you all laugh and relax those minds and bodies that are ever working. Remember, “All work and no play…”

We want to see the ever smiling face of our president that we had become accustomed to seeing. So that, as much as we may apprehensive about all the issues that we are going through now, the worst thing would be to see our leader and President look worried too. We want to look to you for strength. That smile that assures us that soon, sooner than you think, the agony of insurgency and all other issues will be over, in Jesus name.

Our dear President, because you have been so good and loving to us, we, the Nollywood family, assure you of our steadfastness in loving you back. You can always count on our support as long as the constitution permits.

Oh one more thing sir, every year film makers and actors from around the world, gather here in Nigeria for the biggest film festival in the whole of Africa. The Africa International film festival parades the biggest and the brightest stars from around the globe. I would like to on behalf of my friend and sister Chioma Ude, ask that you join us this November in Tinapa Calabar to celebrate our culture and heritage.

This happens to be the first movie I directed, so be gentle with me, and put down your weapons of critism tonight to just simply enjoy the movie.

Finally brethren, as a true Waffi girl, me I wan appeal to you Sir. When you don watch the film finish, enjoy am, laugh well well, mey you try help my ministry, as we dey move go the permanent site. Please nor forget to pay your tithes.

Thank you once again, your Excellency. Thank you all again for being here this evening

Omoni Oboli

Writer/ Producer/Director

Photo Credit: Reuben Abati

1. Higg Higg

August 18, 2014 at 6:44 pm

That dress though!!! The cleavage sha!!

2. TANTRA

August 18, 2014 at 6:48 pm

So this is the best you can wear for being Mrs Desmond Elliot?

3. Gistyinka Blog

August 18, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Nice speech.

4. dizzy

August 18, 2014 at 7:00 pm

All I hear is “slurp, slurp slurp!”!’ sounds of ass licking!

5. @edDREAMZ

August 18, 2014 at 7:31 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Well what will i say other than she tried…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

6. lyn

August 18, 2014 at 7:45 pm

hmmmmmm…… na wa oo. So this is the fine bara you wanted to do thats why you had to wear this horrible dress! One minutes you championed the “bringback our girls campaign… and here you are, giving the president every reason to laugh…It is well with you

7. Dane

August 18, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Nice speech. Now imagine if you had just delivered it in an elegant, becoming outfit. Omoni WHYYYYY????

8. seun

August 18, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Damage control? She also needs to work on her spelling?

#Nollywoodhustlers

9. Adrianne

August 18, 2014 at 8:31 pm

With this kain yeye dress when you wear? Omoni Oboli you no try abeg.
    Your dress shows that you have a hidden agenda.

10. TA

August 18, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I cannot hear the message you are passing or passed. Aunty Omonomose,your message got drowned in the ‘cacophony’ of your dress. Just see how poor dressing can ruin/detract an entire event.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

August 19, 2014 at 10:26 am

I saw the story on the homepage and thought that she must have gotten her husband’s consent before putting on that dress. If it was good enough for him, then I guess it must be good enough for us, right? Or maybe “we” just don’t count. The speech was supposed to come across as laid back, real and modest, as being in touch with her origins, but as with the dress, there is a lot to figure out that is not “right” in spite of whoever’s consent she got when she wore the dress or whatever audience she was before.

“…the cacophony of your dress….’ you had me laugh at that one.

• Fashionista

August 19, 2014 at 2:54 pm

You just made my point!

11. ice

August 18, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Omoni,why did you dress like dis

• Tosin

August 19, 2014 at 9:34 am

there was another BN post in which the shock of the dress was, let’s just say, digested.

12. Jd

August 18, 2014 at 9:09 pm

No comment

13. Resoundingslap

August 18, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Her tasteless show of chest just made her speech tasteless…yawns!

14. Shadie

August 18, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Omoni are you like seriously seriously right now.” A President that is so in touch with his People

15. Shadie

August 18, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Omoni you should have taken your Family along and gone to those families in Chibok, those you so hypocritically campaigned for their release, they would love to have a smile on their faces too, take their minds temporarily of the worries of the fact that their kids are being raped and abused by these animals and they don’t see any end in sight because your clueless President needs to have a permanent smile on his face like you so put it,instead of doing his damn best protecting his citizens, oh my bad “all work and no ply” right. Please just keep quiet and enjoy the loot for whatever you went to Aso rock for. SHAMEFUL

16. nene

August 18, 2014 at 10:04 pm

blah blah blah

17. chai

August 18, 2014 at 10:15 pm

So?

18. Ephi

August 18, 2014 at 10:52 pm

This outfit is just a no-no, absolute no-no, why now Omoni?!

19. tinnnnnnu29

August 18, 2014 at 11:17 pm

This woman nd her cheap primark dress! Mchew.no class at all.

20. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

August 18, 2014 at 11:27 pm

LOL, NICE SIMPLE SPEESSSHHH………………

21. Honeymix

August 19, 2014 at 1:01 am

Chei, begging culture. See how she’s gushing. Na wa o.

22. chimamanda's Main Squeeze

August 19, 2014 at 1:30 am

stupid a**, watery speech. No one is asking for seriousness and to discuss Boko Haram (even tho there are lighthearted yet serious ways to do so) but all this appealing to just GEJ (begging him to smile etc.) is just foolish. Dunno why she couldn’t focus more on the movie…

23. Ndubuisi

August 19, 2014 at 2:17 am

who have time for all this reading.

24. A aka

August 19, 2014 at 4:53 am

Congrats omoni you r doing very well

25. Oboliscus

August 19, 2014 at 5:40 am

She is just fake, the pretence and fake efizzy life will catch up with you guys eventually. You are fooling nobody but yourself, God sees all

26. Desert Rainbow

August 19, 2014 at 7:19 am

This same Omoni,who has been so vocal about the Chibok girls’ matter! Now that you have the president’s audience,na money you go beg?As a waffi girl…pay your tithe…look to you for strength??? My eyes have truly seen my ears!

27. Anon

August 19, 2014 at 9:19 am

Useless fangirling.

28. Tosin

August 19, 2014 at 9:32 am

I’m totally feeling this.
    I also feel Jona as a breath of fresh air, cheesy I know.
    Now I feel maybe I’m not dreaming hard enough, like what future can we conceive of and work towards…like maybe my generation still has some work to do to expand joy and freedom, to be able to stand toe-to-toe with the generation of Gates and Clinton…

29. papermoon

August 19, 2014 at 9:33 am

eeeee wat did she say……i was busy staring at de boobs

• Bella

August 19, 2014 at 11:20 am

BN comments wan kil person

30. Tosin

August 19, 2014 at 9:37 am

When is the film coming out, abeg?
    I liked her in Anchor Baby.

31. Omas

August 19, 2014 at 9:54 am

nice speech,but not so nice a dress.

32. Evensef

August 19, 2014 at 10:34 am

i thought the president has stopped shaking for sake of ebola? with her dress, i need more lessons on what ‘private parts’ are biko.

33. Omo1

August 19, 2014 at 10:57 am

….And president Jonathan had enough to feast his eyes on..not that it was that “”enough”” sha..if y’all know what I mean..hehe

34. Bella

August 19, 2014 at 11:20 am

So, its a majority rule, the dress was a big NO NO!

35. Tokunbo

August 19, 2014 at 11:39 am

omoni omoni OMONI….PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE GET A STYLIST AH!

36. Nach

August 19, 2014 at 11:51 am

This speech eeehhh!

37. oladyyyy

August 19, 2014 at 1:16 pm

hmmmmm…. Omoni! Omoni!! Omoni!!! how many times did i call you? forget what the JLos and Beyonces of this world wear to presidential events., we are Africans., Nigerians for that matter. Our ‘cleavage-showing’ level never reach like this ooo……. if u dont want an acid bath from our darling Dame Patience, mind what you wear to see her husband, inugo???

38. Vortex

August 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm

“…It might seem, to some, insensitive to be previewing this movie at such a time as this, but I beg to differ. When our very way of life is threatened, this is the sort of thing we should do to remind ourselves that we will not give into anything that would threaten its continuance… ”
    No, No and No. This is not the sort of thing the president should be doing at the moment. No one expects that every single second be spent attending to the issues on ground but this act right here? Not so smart. This puts the president in a bad light and makes him look insensitive. Ebola, boko haram, Chibok boys and girls amongst a myriad of other problems means that even when the president is “tired” he must not be openly seen to be “taking a nap”. He just can’t afford it. Not when tensions are high, people are dissatisfied and angry and the world is watching! If what she stated above was the goal then her movie was the wrong choice. Nothing against Omoni’s movie but HOAYS- a movie with much cultural relevance and world acclaim- would have been a farrrr better option. As for helping her “ministry move forward”, oh well….

39. Chinnie

August 20, 2014 at 11:49 am

Omoni was one of the Nigerian married actresses I respected until now. Who in their right senses will say no vital parts was exposed? Are you waiting for us to see your nipples before you know that what was meant for the eyes of only your husband is being exposed to the whole world. This has gone beyond cleavage.You are seeking cheap attention… shaking my head…. Did you even think of the fact that you are an African and a mother before wearing this rubbish you call a dress. I’m sure your boys will be proud of you in this dirty outfit… You are a disgrace to African mothers

40. Pacey

August 24, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Leave her. She can show her breasts if she wants.