Scoop

Robin Williams’ Daughter Takes a Break from Social Media Due to Cyber Bullying

BellaNaija.com

Zelda & Robin Williams - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com01
Internet, stop being mean.

Zelda Williams, the daughter of the actor Robin Williams who committed suicide by hanging himself with a belt, is taking a break from Twitter and Instagram because of cyber bullying.

In a message posted on her Instagram page today, Zelda hits back at social media users chastising them for “mining our accounts for photos of dad” and “judging me” for the amount of photo tributes she has so far posted.

Read her message;

I will be leaving this account for a but while I heal and decide if I’ll be deleting it or not. In this difficult time, please try to be respectful of the accounts of myself, my family and my friends.

Mining our accounts for photos of dad, or judging me on the number of them is cruel and unnecessary. There are a couple throughout, but the real private moments I shared with him were precious, quiet, and believe it or not, not full of photos or ‘selfies’.

I shared him with a world where everyone was taking their photo with him, but I was lucky enough to spend time with him without cameras too. That was more than enough, and I’m grateful for what little time I had. My favorite photos of family are framed in my house, not posted on social media, and they ‘ll remain there.

They would’ve wound up on the news or blogs then, and they certainly would now. That’s not what I want for our memories together. Thank you for your respect and understanding in this difficult time. Goodbye. Xo

Photo Credit: Getty Images

1. bruno

August 13, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Religious people I have a question for you, since robin williams committed suicide due to depression, is he going to hell or heaven.

• puce

August 13, 2014 at 3:29 pm

According to the holy book, he will have hell as his abode. However, no one knows his last thought or if he did make a prayerful confession asking God for forgiveness before he passed on. I am saying this based on a narration i read from Late Padre Pio’s biography where a woman asked him if her husband who committed suicide by jumping into a river is in hell and Padre replied that, the husband asked God for forgiveness inbetwen when he was diving and when he actually drowned. Thereby making heaven. So, we are not to judge.

• Henry

August 13, 2014 at 3:33 pm

You might want to commit suicide and find out for yourself.

• Iris

August 14, 2014 at 3:42 am

LMFAO! bruno, you’re tired. Take a seat. You’re not the first and only person that has come to this blog who doesn’t believe in God so stop feeling special like you have something to prove. It reeks of desperation. What is more amusing (and somewhat pitiful) is that based on your comments you don’t even appear to be a nice person religion aside, so really you’re not an ambassador for any beliefs worth converting to.

• Bella

August 14, 2014 at 8:59 am

LOL!

• Jane Public

August 13, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Your attack against religion is getting old. It will not change those who want to believe or those who have faith. It only makes you pitiful and truly I am embarassed for you. Find something else to pick on. So you are gay, deal with it. If you have a huge chip on your shoulder, nobody put it there but you. If you have a problem with religion, you better sit down and shut it because whether you and your kind like it or not, it isn’t going anywhere. it was there before you were born, and it will continue to be there. People just think it is funny to take target practice at religion, especially Christianity. Why don’t you do such to Islam and see if they will not have your head. Coming from someone who because of his sexuality he is probably picked on, ridiculed or treated unfairly, how does it make you better than the people you are trying to deride? Haven’t you just descended to their level.? Religion from man’s perspective may be flawed, scratch that, it is flawed, but guess what, man is flawed, you are flawed, I am flawed, we are all flawed, which is why we are on earth on a daily struggle to be the best version of ourselves, or that is what we are supposed to be doing, and not sitting down playing target practice on those who we think we can, it is why wars are going on all over the world. Those who you expect tolerance from are the ones who don’t give it. because the world has accepted homosexuality now, you have mouth to talk, decades ago, your kind was in hiding. I have nothing personal against homosexuality, I just wanted to call you out. The bullied has become the bully. You think deriding religion is the best version of yourself, do you think the non existent pedestal you have placed yourself on because you are an Atheist makes you better than the next church goer, wake up and take a good look at yourself. Your feigned arrogance or supposed superiority is nothing but empty shells. If it makes you feel better about yourself to deride religion, guess what, it doesn’t take away from the fact that it has saved millions of people, it has been a guiding light and staff to hundreds of millions, the derision of one man or many like your kind (atheist, gay, agnostic etc) cannot take away from the good that it does, so keep at it, it just makes you look sad, foolish, bitter and may I add, tiresome. If you like come on blogs 5million times a second, Nigerian laws are not changing for you. So, if commenting on blogs gives you some kind of power, I sure do feel sorry for you. What is the size of that thing in your pants, because it looks to me like you are suffering from The napoleon complex or possibly the need to be heard, because in real life, no one is listening to you. Man has used technology to destroy, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that technology has also been very beneficial. Apply that analogy to religion, why don’t you? You live in a free world where you are allowed your beliefs, allow other people too to have theirs. What makes you different from BH? Is it because they use guns and you use words, hiding behind a computer if I might add. Shior. Yes my comment is long, it is only meant for those who can read, I hope you can @bruno.

• Bea

August 13, 2014 at 4:18 pm

A million likes for this. I really couldn’t have said it any better.

• Emirates

August 13, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Well said dear.

• CHY

August 13, 2014 at 4:47 pm

i like this.

• Que

August 13, 2014 at 6:21 pm

@Jane public, You have spoken well indeed. I had this same arguement dis morning… I don’t mind d length one bit, every word mattered. People need to get a grip!!

• Tbaby

August 13, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I duff my hat for u @Jane public, u just made my day, love ya like kilode. U re so intelligent, bless u dear.

• ace

August 13, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Why don’t you do such to Islam and see if they will not have your head. @Jane this line totally tarnished my image of what seemed like a very good post written on religion. Its obviously just written about Christianity like other religions don’t qualify as religions. Sad to see yur image of Islam.

• Pink

August 13, 2014 at 9:50 pm

@jane Ha! I remove my hat for u. Amazing reponse for that empty vessel. As we know empty vessels make the most noise. Unknown to that noise maker (bruno) he exhibits the need to be heard and loved (probably he didn’t av that growing up) but he is going about it the wrong way and will continue yearning for attention.

• Captain

August 14, 2014 at 12:12 am

OMG! I just love whoever wrote this …..

• Sassy

August 14, 2014 at 1:44 am

@Jane Public, thanks for putting my unkind thoughts into kind words. God bless you.

• Bide

August 14, 2014 at 1:56 am

Wow..You’ve said it all….

• Tunde

August 14, 2014 at 9:41 am

@Jane Public Well said. There is no compulsion in religion. God did not send any man as guardian over another.

• Maxime

August 14, 2014 at 10:18 am

Well said.

• bruno

August 13, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I don’t normally reply people but you nobody has ever answered my question, dear religious dummies, when has your religion, cure a disease and don’t tell me to go read your fictional books. I find all religion to be extremely, racist, sexist, and homophobic. All the messiahs are men, buda, jesus, mohammed etc all men, why? I am not a woman but this offends, let’s not forget, they are all white (I don’t care what shade of white, any thing that is not black is white lol) I don’t like ignorance, if my comments offend you then don’t read it, I am one in a million in nigeria who has not been brain washed, and by the way what has sexuality got to do with anything in this world, you’re happy that a country imprisons people for being different, so sad, stop using your religion to promote ignorance, I know many will agree with you but I don’t blame them, who in this country has sense. Bye felicia

• Okeoghene

August 13, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Bruno,so anyone who doesn’t agree with you,is an ignorant person and has been brainwashed?!Looooool!!!!Jane Public,thank you for that appropriate reply.

• Jane Public

August 14, 2014 at 9:33 am

Your science that has cured diseases, how many people has it also killed? That is the answer to your question. Faith has saved many, many, many people. There are many medical miracles that science CANNOT explain. how about that? There are lots and lots of people who are alive today that science and medicine have written off. It is only an ignorant person that discounts what he cannot explain. You find religion to be this and that, and your opinion means what? Who knows you? Some faceless tiny shell of a man no one defers to in real life is now feeling big, showing his cahones online. Seriously!!!!! This offends you, that offends you, you are so funny. Like anything that offends you, people will now scramble around and do your bidding. ROTFLMAO. Empty barrels do make the most noise. Thankfully you are one in a million in Nigeria. Emphasis on one. If you think your views are that important, show your sexual proclivities outside and see if they won’t haul your ass to jail. Stop using your views and opinion to promote derision and hate. How about that too. You are the only person in the country that has sense abi. let me add delusion grandeur to the growing list of things that is wrong with you.

• Iya

August 14, 2014 at 10:04 am

Eh yah, Brubru…..oya come lemme hug you and wipe your tears….sit down, take cold coke and biscuit because honey child, YOU…have just been SCHOOLED YO!! Thank you @Janepublic, very well put!

• bruno

August 14, 2014 at 10:44 am

@jane, I know people like u, people like you write and write and ask for extra sheet in the exam halls but at the end they still score an F or an E, are u telling me it is right to imprison someone for being gay? Second,science has cured and save more people than it has killed, any body who dies for science is considered a hero, what has religion done, who has religion saved mention one,when someone is in a car accident, why don’t they rush the person to church LOL, thirdly u are a woman, don’t u think its insulting that all the messiahs are men,and that in all ur fictional books god created man first, why not woman first, and I am black why should I bow down to a white messiah, if jesus was black and was from ghana or senegal, would there be anything like Christianity, lastly how I’m I spreading hate, you are the one spreading hate cause you encourage the imprisonment of gay people, just so you know any one who is imprisoned or killed for being gay, their blood in on ur hands and on children and children’s children,

• Missy

August 14, 2014 at 11:36 am

You started all of this so deal with it. You wanted to know what the ‘religious people’ had to say regarding this just to demean their state of intelligence. Sorry to tell you that you’ve failed and only exposed your intellectual level. If you say you haven’t been brainwashed, atheist or whatever you may be, live and let live! No one has imposed their religion or theories on you so please don’t go asking questions like a pharisee and spewing rubbish. If you have nothing meaningful to say, just shut the hell up man.

• oj

August 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm

u normally don’t reply people????

• peace

August 14, 2014 at 10:23 am

hell straight

• Jane Public

August 14, 2014 at 10:55 am

@ace, my comment wasn’t about Christianity but faith in general, in whatever form anyone chooses to practice, I wrote that statement because @bruno gets his rocks off making fun of the Christian faith. See his comment above.

• Jane Public

August 14, 2014 at 11:56 am

You are an attention seeking person and I can tell by your fingerprints all over Bella Naija that in real life NO ONE is paying you any attention or taking you seriously, neither are you important. So, I wont spar words with you. No point making a nobody like you feel important. One thing I am happy about is people like you are not influential, and are not in positions of power to do anything. Enjoy your online importance, I will sleep easy knowing that is all you are going to get.

• bruno

August 14, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Someone like me can never be famous in nigeria, cause I am an intellectual,who thinks with logic, how many people use logic and reasoning in nigeria, not many, chimaamanda, wole soyinka and u people insult them when they don’t agree with u people, that’s why nigeria will remain the way it is, instead it is people like u that will become famous and mess nigeria up the more, last time I would reply u EVER. Goodbye

2. ib

August 13, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Am still trying to figure out y this man committed suicide,what kinda depression was that and pls we should try to be nice esp with our words to people around us…may he RIP

3. mimi

August 13, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Let God be the judge bruno, on a serious note what is your problem ? shit you make me sick!!! always showing support for ill issues. Morally even if you are depressed must you commit suicide ? it is wrong and yes suicide is a sin before God and man why should you cause pain to your family and loved ones because of depression ? but as for hell and heaven God would decide.

4. shannaro

August 13, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Poor Kid it’s clear she was daddy’s girl.

@mimi IT IS A DISEASE Jesus Christ unless you’ve walked in those shoes and experienced the mind of a suicidal and depressed person do his loved ones a favor and keep your judgement and opinions to yourself thanks. a catholic

5. kiki

August 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Jane Public thank you for your comment. Honestly that thing called bruno makes me sick. Please tell him more, he sure will read it. After all, he does nothing other than commenting on ill issues.

6. bruno

August 13, 2014 at 4:22 pm

@jane public,you are so pained,LOL BYE FELICIA, hahahahahaha

• Ife

August 13, 2014 at 4:59 pm

you are the one that sounds pained because for all the fancy useless words you have been typing as comments thinking you make sense @jane public schooled you well you had no smart response you are coming back to type something funny to hide behind your lack of something intelligent to counter. The joke is on you. I love how people like you are silenced in the face of intelligent dialogue.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 14, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Stop indulging it by responding. And @Jane, I feel your frustration, my online sista. Have itched with the longing to land well-placed cyber smacks atop a certain ignoramus but you need to recognize that misery loves company. Misery also delights in dropping idiotic comments and hanging around eagerly to see if you’ll bite.

You’ve spoken well. Leave ignorance to drown in the pool of its disease before it infects you.

This well-meant advice also goes out to everyone else who has attempted to reason with the stupidity spewed thus far.

• Que

August 13, 2014 at 6:27 pm

And you’ve been schooled!!! #Diaperista!

• Que

August 13, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Sorry, reply was for bruno!

• Jane Public

August 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Well said @Ms SA. Weeeeeeeeel said. He gets his rocks off coming back to see who commented. Poor, sad little thing.

7. mimi

August 13, 2014 at 5:23 pm

@shannaro yea i have walked down the lane of depression !! you wanna hear my story okay i would give you a breakdown i was impregnated by a hoodlum that ran away, abandoning me to my own fate , i had no food to eat, no money for drugs,nothing at all, i only had the support of my poor parents, even when i gave birth to my daughter he only showed up once and never came back again i had no money for my hospital bills, i was left at the mercy of some friends and good Samaritans let me even make this clear i had just finished my secondary school and was just 17years old still a baby and he was a full blown adult. he took advantage of me !! abortion was not even an option but today i thank God for everything. I have my daughter, a job and am even an undergraduate. i don’t believe in suicide !!! if you do good luck to you !!!

• shannaro

August 13, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. Still, if you felt suicidal at the time and didn’t act on it it does not place you on a higher moral ground its not a competition everyone differs. It’s not about ‘believing’ it’s finding a bit of empathy within you for someone who fought against this most of his adult life until he couldn’t anymore. Or just keeping quiet at best for the sake of loved ones/current sufferers like his kids who can come across such comments. More importantly sweeping blanket moral judgements like the ones you wrote earlier are insensitive and spread ignorance by drawing attention away from the mental illness where some point down the lane suicide may very well appear as a rational act of selfless love

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Mimi, thank God your story ended well for you. I have to admit that I was like you and also used to argue that depression wasn’t a valid mental disease. However, my own sister suffered from serious depression before she died and of all of us siblings, she would have been the very last person anyone would have imagined to be susceptible to the illness of depression. We know she didn’t commit suicide because my mum was with her when she died; however, she sank into a state that required a lot of medication and she was never again the bright, bubbly (somewhat rascally), absolutely sold-out-for-Christ, young woman that I’ll always remember her as being before she became ill.

At the time, I refused to believe she couldn’t shake it off. I was quite mean to her, actually, but this isn’t a place for self-flagellation. What I’m trying to say to you is that it took me a lot of deeper insight into my family history after her death to realize there just might be genetic tendency to depression in our bloodline. My aunt suffered a mental illness, as did a cousin of mine but you know us Nigerians, nobody thought of doing anything with these facts other than try and hide the perceived “shame” away from the public. I truly wish I could go back in time for the sole purpose of showing my sister that I love her and she wasn’t going through all of that alone – we were going to walk that road together with her. God bless my mum for being the pillar that she’s been to all her children, regardless of how they’ve turned out. It must be the special grace of motherhood which evokes that sort of staunch sopport.

I’ve said more than I intially intended to but please understand there is a mental condition which a lot of people are hiding (in fact, if you’re a Christian, as I am, you’ll also agree that there is a very dark spirit behind it) and there are also people like yourself who might have become depressed due to circumstances, as opposed to genetics – I’m taking nothing away from the validness of the latter group’s experience with this condition but want to ask you (and others) to please show more empathy for the more permanent disease which the former group suffer from.

8. mimi

August 13, 2014 at 5:24 pm

and as for u bruno we all are sinners and have come short of the glory of God repent and ask God for mercy peace !!

• Ife

August 13, 2014 at 5:43 pm

He doesn’t believe and it is okay to. It is a free world. Poking fun at those who do is wrong. Bruno’s attitude is the same thing that extremists have. No need to tell him to believe, let everyone co exist side by side

9. bruno

August 13, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Pardon ma writing, I don’t proof read, I type and I immediately click send. But I know you mumus get the gist.

• aj

August 13, 2014 at 6:48 pm

you are dumb guy for real…mumu! ode oshi!!!

• Missy

August 14, 2014 at 11:48 am

That’s because you’re as useless as the words formed in your dumb ass brain. Go sit your sad self with your class mates. It’s a pity you will soon trip over your low IQ as it diminishes per second.

10. lolaspeaksonlythetruth

August 13, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Bruno, Bruno, Bruno.
    whether you believe or not, whether you accept it or not, Jesus is real, heaven is real, so also is hell. But the point is this Jesus you don’t believe in still loves you and would accept you into his kingdom if you surrender totally to him..tomorrow might be too late..

11. ADEDOX

August 13, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Depression causes mental illness, which killz…

12. Bide

August 14, 2014 at 1:59 am

Bruno needs help…

13. Anita

August 14, 2014 at 4:19 am

I think y’all ESP @mimi don’t even understand the topic’depression’…..I’ve bin there myself….it’s not pleasant….u start thinking that you are not good enough…you start isolating yourself…..you start getting rily sad den u take to drugs or alcohol to suppress it nd when it doesn’t help…you. Start thinking of suicide as an option…..it’s onli God that can save the person at that moment……my advice to u @mimi don’t judge robin Williams or any oda suicide victim till u walk a mile in their shoes…….wat you hav bin thru no doubt is very difficult but there are worse cases…wat about the rape victims….what about those who watched their loved ones killed right before their eyes….wat abt the chibok girls who will be going thru much more pain than uve ever bin thru……[email protected] no hard feelings nd no offence but pls do not judge till u experience similar pain

14. It'zme!

August 14, 2014 at 9:31 am

Jane Public I wish I could know you, you are blessed, I’m sure God is proud to count you as one of His. It is well with you. Never worry about the unbelievers, they will do what they would do, sitting in front of their computers and trying to do the devils work as they are sent to do, its all in the script and they know not what they do.
    Let us pray that God delivers them from this affliction. Amen.

15. mimi

August 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm

no one ha the right to say ur depression is smaller or bigger. Depression is depression whether big or small anything that makes you take suicide as an option is dangerous and should be checkmated as for robin williams it is a pity no one was able to help him, i also pray for the repose of his soul. I remember trying to run into a moving vehicle to kill me and end my story, i remember crying my eyes, i remember when i felt like my child was feeding on my intestine , because i had nothing to eat even after the baby breastfeeding her was a problem, you know what that means. i nearly commited suicide but i thought about it and couldn’t find a tangible reason to do so. life is full of challenges, if you can not give life to an ant why must you destroy what you can not give ? please suicide is not an option for anyone !! do not look at evil and call it good suicide is a demonic act !! forgive my mispellings and other typing errors.

16. Daisy

August 21, 2014 at 8:31 am

Seems like Bruno might need some help. Are we sure he isn’t contemplating suicide and thinking of where he would end up? Bruno except you are willing to commit suicide and see things for your self,otherwise be wise enough to shut your irritating guts….