Connect with us

News

Ebola: Late Port Harcourt Doctor’s Sister & others Discharged

BellaNaija.com

Published

 on

EBOLA ABUJA

Abuja (NAN) – The Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, has confirmed that the sister of the Port Harcourt doctor who died of Ebola has been discharged from the isolation ward in Rivers.

Chukwu, who briefed newsmen in Abuja on Monday on the current status of the virus in Nigeria, put the total number of successfully managed and discharged patients at nine.

According to him, the nine patients are among the 11 survivors of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in Nigeria.

Chukwu said that the wife of the late Port Harcourt doctor was still on treatment at the Isolation ward in Lagos and would soon be discharged.

“At the moment only one person, the wife of the Port Harcourt doctor is on treatment in the isolation ward in Lagos.

“She no longer has any symptoms and is undergoing series of tests preparatory to her discharge from the isolation ward this week,’’ he said.

Chukwu said there were other contacts of the disease that were still under surveillance in Lagos and Port Harcourt, and assured Nigerians that the Federal Government was in control of the situation.

“Regarding contacts currently under surveillance, Lagos has 27 contacts under surveillance.

“A total of 339 contacts, who were previously on surveillance, have been discharged having completed 21 days of observation.

“Port Harcourt has 477 contacts under surveillance. It is a mixed group consisting of tertiary and quaternary contacts of Mr Sawyer’s.

“Five contacts have already been discharged from surveillance in Port Harcourt having completed 21 days of observation,’’ he said.

Chukwu maintained that the total number of deaths from Ebola in Nigeria so far stood at seven, adding that five were in Lagos and two in Port Harcourt.

The minister put the total number of Ebola cases in Nigeria at 19 since the first case in Lagos 50 days ago.

He also made clarification on the report that Nigeria had taken delivery of body scanning machines from the U.S government.

Chukwu said what was donated to the Nigerian government by the U.S was 30 hand-held infrared equipment for use at border posts.

He appealed to countries not to stigmatise Nigerians on the account of the Ebola outbreak, noting that it was against international practice.

The minister said the Federal Government in collaboration with other stakeholders in the private sector was working hard to contain the spread of the virus beyond the Lagos and Port Harcourt.

In the same vein, the Information Minister, Labaran Maku, sought the collaboration of all stakeholders in the national campaign against Ebola.

He said the media had a critical role to play in containing the spread of rumours and the elimination of discrimination against Nigerians on the account of Ebola.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that more private organisations have indicated interest to partner with the Federal Ministry of Health to fight the scourge of Ebola in Nigeria.

12 Comments

  1. bake

    September 8, 2014 at 6:19 pm

    Thank God, now everyone can see that having ebola does not amount to death sentence. It is treatable when detected early…

  2. John

    September 8, 2014 at 9:10 pm

    To those men of God preaching that ebola is a spirit….I wonder where they get their revelation from

  3. @edDREAMZ

    September 8, 2014 at 10:32 pm

    a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    .
    Nigeria has really advanced big tym in this area…… Kudos to them medical team..
    .
    .
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

  4. fbi

    September 9, 2014 at 4:29 am

    Even without zmapp God is taking control…

  5. Wifey

    September 9, 2014 at 5:15 am

    If Chukwu is telling the truth… then well done indeed. Hopefully we will not get complacent.

  6. Theophilus Ukwumaka

    September 9, 2014 at 7:16 am

    If we continue in this spirit, we shall do exploit. This country is blessed is just that most of us fail to realise that. We should learn to take everything serious.

  7. TheBeautifulEagle

    September 9, 2014 at 2:12 pm

    All thanks to God…i hope this will be long lasting.
    beautiful-eagle.blogspot.com/

  8. Ada

    September 9, 2014 at 6:14 pm

    We thank GOD for his love upon this country Nigeria. Minister of health and his team keep on trying,GOD is on your side

  9. nimi

    September 9, 2014 at 6:27 pm

    Thank God 4 dis gud news 2day, @ least we can relax now. we hope they r telling us d truth coa as at yesterday, information we got stated that a lot of d people quarantined in PH r showing signs of d fever n that there was no proper care for them n that the general hopsitals too r rejecting patients wit feverish conditions due to lack of materials to work wit. I pray this pass over us soonest.

  10. Dotty

    September 10, 2014 at 3:14 pm

    chukwu again! chineke meenu ebele…cos naija stories don plenty

  11. Pat O.

    September 10, 2014 at 5:05 pm

    How come 5 contacts in Port Harcourt have already completed their 21 days of observation so soon? Ebola was only confirmed in PH after the death of Dr Iyke Enemuo who died on 22 of Aug. 2014 The news of Ebola in PH was 1st reported on 27th of Aug. Could it be .that the discarged contacts had been kept under observation before the death of Dr Enemuo???

  12. Tess

    September 11, 2014 at 9:54 am

    Thank you Pat O! I too am seriously confused about the Maths! If 21 days have not passed how have all these people been discharged? The American doctor kent Brantley talked about how he tested negative several times until he eventually tested positive. I hope we are been told the truth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Star Features

Advertisement
css.php