News

Why Wasn’t Dr. Adadevoh Included in National Honours List? Doyin Okupe Explains

Adadevoh

Ever since the 2014 National Honours List was released last week, many have questioned why late Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh was not included on the list.

A lot of people expressed opinions that Adadevoh, who lost her life to Ebola during the process of taking measures to curb the spread of the disease, should have been included on the list because of her selfless actions.

However, Doyin Okupe, Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs to President Jonathan revealed reasons for the non-inclusion via twitter, stating that national honours are not given posthumously:

Doyin Okupe Tweet BellaNaija

1. Changing Faces

September 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm

So which one did they give Abacha?

• Anon

September 22, 2014 at 2:33 pm

It was the Centenary award he was given. (Centenary; 100 years. Re-1914.)

I’m not a fan of these awards since anyone who’s anyone gets one these days. I think she should be honoured in a better way. Naming a ward or hospital after her is much better. I doubt if First Consultants will change their name but they can name a part of their building and/or a ward after her.’

• ak

September 22, 2014 at 2:42 pm

They gave Abacha an award on the “CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS” FOR BEING AN “OUTSTANDING PROMOTER OF UNITY, PATRIOTISM AND NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT”

A lot of the people honored during that celebration are dead btw.

As far as National Honors List, Doyin Okupe may be right.. I don’t know of any honorees who were awarded post humously.

I guess the question for Okupe to answer is
      WHY are you not honoring people who sacrificed their lives for the good of your country?
      Is it only the living who deserve to be honored?
      Isn’t it greater to lay one’s life down in service of a cause? a cause as great as the service of one’s country?

• ak

September 22, 2014 at 2:43 pm

lol at Abacha’s award though.
      I don’t know how that murderer, human rights abuser, looter and tyrannist helped promote unity, peace and national development.

But then again, wonders shall never cease in our great Nation

2. Asgrl

September 22, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Bullshit, the one time it’s okay to make an exception, FG dropped the ball. This woman damn near saved the country. If it wasn’t for her actions, the Ebola outbreak would be worse in Nigeria. Spin on that Mr. okupe

3. Ladydoctor

September 22, 2014 at 2:48 pm

The medical community needs to step up and honour her themselves.

4. hmm

September 22, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Whether they give her or not this woman holds a special place in my heart and many other Nigerians. I live near obalende imagine if she didn’t detect this when she did. My life would have changed.

5. lala

September 22, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Good Okupe for adding your 2 cents. I wouldnt have wanted her name included with those polithievians . I t would have been an insult to her career and memory. The govt can keep the freaking award, cos it has no meaning. Its for those that kisses the govts behind anyway.

6. @edDREAMZ

September 22, 2014 at 4:50 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Nigeria is my country by mistake i swear.. May her soul R.I.P though…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

7. dotty

September 22, 2014 at 4:59 pm

no fight madam…just make your point….m okupe no dey here…hehehehehehe

8. ...just saying

September 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Can Okupe spell well? What’s with the hv, rcvd, d? Seriously?

9. Theresa

September 22, 2014 at 6:30 pm

What good can you expect from the likes of Doyin Okupe? Everytime they have an opportunity to do good, they blow it. He would rather honour GEJ’s steward! Okay O!

Award or not, Dr. Adadevoh, Justina Ejelonu, Mrs Imoh, and other numerous people who have sacrificed their lives for others in the course of Ebola virus and even Boko Haram, are blessed even in death. I pray their families take consolation in this fact. May God continue to bless all the selfless men and women who work behind the scenes for the good of others. May they find encouragement in knowing that God sees their labour of love, even if no one else does. And He will reward them with something greater than any national award.

10. the bull

September 22, 2014 at 6:44 pm

When people like odili are being nominated for national honors, no right thinking person should take that joke of an award seriously. It would be an insult to Dr. Adadevoh to be listed alongside those who looted our treasury. It’s seems that is the easiest way to win such awards. That was why late China Achebe refused to collect the award,

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 22, 2014 at 8:45 pm

My heavenly gracious. Enyi, please stop it. Stop yanking my chain, I beg of you.

Who did you say is being “honoured” with a national award? Odi-who?? Don’t let me sorrow completely for my country, I use God beg you. Even if na mistake dem take draft the honour roll.

11. Daisy

September 22, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Isn’t her surname Ghanaian? Just curious. My Aunty told me of a requiem mass done for her by her family in Ghana. RIP good woman.

12. Iris

September 23, 2014 at 2:51 am

I was going to say this is all BS but many of you are right. She’s waaayyy bigger than any of these pathetic awards they dish out to their cronies and boot-lickers. They should keep their “awards” and not sully her memory with them.

13. hanee

September 23, 2014 at 9:28 am

Uncle what happened to your part of speech? A Public figure for that matter.

14. Milly

September 23, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Excuse my why choose twitter to answer the question government officials don’t go to twitter to address the public omg and posthumously is one word.

15. ATL's Finest

September 23, 2014 at 9:16 pm

@ Doyin what a shame! A public fight should spell properly. Abbreviations is not for such conversations. By the way, incase you do not know the first letter of her name should be capitalized. Who wants such award anyway??? Heroes and heroine are talking and changing lives, you are here comparing a Fighter and a live changer to trashy awards mtchew. Get your life together & have several seats..

• ATL's Finest