Scoop

BET to Launch New TV Series Called ‘The Book of Negroes’ | Watch the Trailer

Book of Negroes BET (1)Black Entertainment Television (BET) has revealed that they will soon be airing a new miniseries called ‘The Book of Negroes’.

The series, starring Cuba Gooding Jnr, will be a TV presentation of a novel written by Lawrence Hill.

The series tells the story of Aminata Diallo, a West African woman kidnapped from her motherland, sold into slavery in South Carolina, and then fights through the American Revolution to reclaim her freedom in England at the beginning of the 19th century.

Book of Negroes BET (1) Book of Negroes BET (3) Book of Negroes BET (5) Book of Negroes BET (6) Book of Negroes BET (7)

The Book Of Negroes

Speaking on the new series, Hollywood actor Cuba Gooding Jnr says, “It’s told from the female perspective with a sense of empowerment.  Through Aminata’s journey we see the strength of her character. I didn’t know anything about The Book Of Negroes, or the slaves participation with the British and upon hearing this, it always upsets me when I hear about something I don’t know: Like The Tuskegee Airmen, The Book Of Negroes is another upsetting moment for African Americans, when we have made a positive impact on the building of America, but our history hasn’t been told. Hearing this tale of strength moved me.”

While the series sounds like it will be a good one to watch, we have to ask if the name is appropriate.

The miniseries will also cast stars like Aunjanue Ellis, Lyriq Bent, Louis Gossett Jr., Ben Chaplin, Allan Hawco and Jane Alexander.

The international co-production began shooting in February 2014 in Cape Town, South Africa. “The Book of Negroes” will air in six parts on BET in February 2015, presumably for Black History Month.

Watch the trailer!

1. nikky

October 14, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I read the book a few years ago it was heartbreaking. I personally I think it’s Lawrence Hill’s best work. I hope the TV adaptation is as good as the book.

2. private vikky

October 14, 2014 at 7:14 pm

yeah…the name is totally appropriate as long as it is being used by blacks/African-Americans themselves.
    While i applaud that these stories need to be told for some who have no idea of their past or who have trouble reading, I feel like it is going to be a very very long time before the black community is “healed” from the evils of slavery and that ‘”healing” is totally in their hands.
    it is hard to heal and move on when you keep dredging up the past and hanging on to it, like if we have agreed that “negro” is a bad word, lets not limit it to a select few, let it be bad all round bc letting my “kind” say it because they are directly connected to it doesn’t help, it only lets them live in the past longer and make it hard to leave it behind.
    I will be in the lookout for it though, love Cuba Gooding and Anjanue is such a fine actress, and oh, Loui Gossett is a fantastic actor too. great cast but i am not sure i like the name.

• nikky

October 14, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Negro is not a bad word. It’s Niggas that is absolutely bad.

• kaybee

October 14, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Healing does not mean you forget. Other cultures/ethnicities/races are still telling their stories – perfect or otherwise. The holocaust was a horrific experience for Jews. They have moved on since then, but have not forgotten. Sometimes, seeing heroes and martyrs who look like you can be empowering, and reminds one of what others had to endure , so their descendants would have a shot at something greater.

3. MsTilii

October 14, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I love Aujanie Ellis – absolutely great
    She is like one of the most UNDER-RATED Black Hollywood Actresses
    I am happy she got this break.
    Absolutely phenomenal Actress. I wish she wins an oscar one day.
    I look forward to watching this series – but i must admit i am waiting on pins and needles for BEING MARY JANE new season.

4. addy

October 14, 2014 at 9:07 pm

absolutely can’t wait!
    coilsandglory.com

5. Miss Mo

October 15, 2014 at 2:06 am

Not a book reader. I know I should be lol.

Can’t wait to watch it 🙂

6. AYODEJI

October 15, 2014 at 3:26 am

And sometimes I jst wish they’ll stop making films abt slavery, like really, let the black folks make a very interesting and genuine movie or series nt relating to slavery,,I jst felt like we’re too much connected to it and find it somehw too hard to move on Frm it, *Jst thinking loud *..When u trace it down, Only Movies relating to Slavery, Maid has won most black actresses oscar,( The Help, 12yrs a slave, MonsterBall portray black woman In a bad way)… I’ll still be watching this one though……#YouCantSeeMe

7. Bella

October 15, 2014 at 10:02 am

Drenching up the past always evokes some type of feeling, fact is slavery was/is still very real, so we need to be reminded of the injustices we all suffered under white minority. Just as the jews will never live down the holocaust, we were scarred by slavery, it is our history and we need to be reminded of it by this type of movies, (as clearly, most people no longer bother to go in and buy a book), we need to remind our youths how they got here and so on. Lets embrace it and rejoice in it. Happy mid week.

8. margette

March 17, 2015 at 3:06 pm

I can’t find movie on BET