News

Ekiti Mom’s Refusal to Circumcise 5 Year Old Daughter Tears Family Apart

BellaNaija.com

Ekiti Mom BellaNaija

Olufunke Oyenekan and her daughter

An Ekiti woman’s refusal to let her young daughter be circumcised has torn her family and her fiancee’s family apart.

The woman, Olufunke Oyenekan fled from Ekiti State in 2012 with her daughter to escape her fiancee’s family, who are insisting that the little girl be circumcised, The Sun reports. Her whereabouts are still unknown. However, her fiancee’s family is still trying to track her down.

Her fiancee, Emmanuel Olaoye, is from a royal family in Ushi-Ekiti, Ekiti State. His father, who was a traditional ruler, passed away in 2012, leaving Olaoye as his successor.

As part of traditional rites, Olaoye’s family demanded that all of the couple’s children must undergo circumcision.

Speaking to reporters about the issue, a member of Olaoye’s family, Olu Olaoye stated that:

She (Olufunke) is not helping us, neither is she helping our daughter she has taken away. There are certain cultural practices that we adhere to in our land, some are avoidable while others are not. This practice of circum­cision is part of the unavoid­able ones. Olufunke cannot prevent us from carrying out cultural and traditional rites on our own blood. It is a must that we do the circumcision rites for the girl. Moreso, that the child is a princess, a daughter from the royal fami­ly of Ushi Ekiti and possibly a future regent.

However, Oyenekan’s family seem to be open to the idea of circumcising the little girl. A member of the family, who spoke on condition of anonymity said, “in our part of the world, it is the man who owns the child and has the final say over him or her.”

“Our daughter, Olufunke is more western-oriented than many of us. She has vowed not to allow any circumcision for her daughter. She says the practice might have an adverse effect on the girl in the future. We would have been able to intervene in the matter to ensure that peace reigns but right now, I can swear to you that we do not even know the whereabouts of Olufunke and her child,” he/she said.

Olaoye has expressed his love for his fiancee, urging her to come back to him. However, he insists that the circumcision must take place by all means.

Photo Credit: sunnewsonline.com

1. NIRA

October 13, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Kai!!! All I can do is SMH at the ignorance and barbarism that still exists in some parts of Nigeria and indeed Africa. I can bet you that there are educated people in these two families that support this female genital mutilation, cos that’s what it is, not circumcision. This is really unfortunate.

• Suwa

October 13, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Exactly!! I have not heard of any law against female genital mutilation, yet the senate could sit and agree on how its legal to marry a child!! we also have women in the senate who r just comfortable enjoying the loot instead of fighting against things like this

2. Keke

October 13, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Pls Olufunke where ever you are, do not come out. Pls keep protecting your kid, God be with you two. This nonsense just has to stop.

3. Ftm

October 13, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Make den talk true joo na for ritual purposes awon were, wicked beings mtchewww

4. Mystique

October 13, 2014 at 3:38 pm

@*tears family apart*….better. run far away with your daughter. love you for being a protective mum………. Bunch of primitive family members who probably crawled out from under a rock. Aren’t there laws in this country prohibiting this nonsense??? can the lawyers in the house please educate me…thanks

5. Dandelion

October 13, 2014 at 3:42 pm

BN are u trying to help the family find them?!! What’s with the picture? It is really sad that this sort of thing is still going on in 2014. Ignorance !.

• Joan85

October 13, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I agree o. BN, please if you can put a random picture up instead to protect her identity, that would be great. You never know who knows her whereabouts right now and is willing to tell on her…

• Surely

October 13, 2014 at 11:41 pm

So the family does not know what they look like? Your comment is foolish beyond measure.
      And you liked your own comment that many times? Sad.

• Dandelion

October 14, 2014 at 9:08 am

Dumb a**, my comment wasn’t for the benefit of the family but for someone else who might recognise her on this platform and inform her family of her whereabouts.

• Dandelion

October 14, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Read, take a deep breath and try and comprehend. If you don’t realise what I meant by my comment, then there’s no hope for you.

6. omoobanta

October 13, 2014 at 3:43 pm

i can’t believe they’re not afraid to speak to the press on this. it’s illegal.

7. Kris

October 13, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Please she should reach out to NGOs that stand against female genital mutilation. This is absolutely horrid.

8. Bukola

October 13, 2014 at 3:47 pm

These people are just wicked, plain and simple….. the heart of man is desperately wicked indeed, women have a lot to deal with without this one sef. May they never succeed in the circumcision of that girl in Jesus name, AMEN.

9. st tracy

October 13, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Run baby run.

10. mrs chidukane

October 13, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Ladies please be careful the people you allow bathe your babies. Don’t leave them alone with your children. That is how one lady was gisting how she uses her hand to press in the clitoris of the baby she bathes to make her look neat .She felt she was doing the couple a favor and was rattling off the benefits of female circumcision because she herself was circumcised. I was so appalled and disgusted.

• Dr. N

October 13, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Make her look neat? Ara gbachikwa ya nti! Some ppl r just demented.

11. Han4

October 13, 2014 at 3:59 pm

FGM is still in africa. Worst part is that our people dont know d adverse effect it can have on a girl.

12. EB_Pearls

October 13, 2014 at 4:21 pm

This is just sad and unfortunate. I lived in Ekiti for a year, and you will be amazed how backward minded these Ekiti folks are. Olufunke please don’t return to Ushi or whatever its called. Evil doers that call themselves traditionalists! SHAME

13. lara

October 13, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Isnt this illegal in Nigeria? I can’t believe this is still practiced. Ladies watch where you marry from, learn more bout your mans culture. Sometimes love is not enough.

14. Bimzeem

October 13, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Olufunke pls run faaaaaar!!! Very very faaaaaar!!! Idiot barbarians.

15. Toritoh

October 13, 2014 at 4:53 pm

BN, is there a purpose in using the little girl and her mom’s picture. Height of irresponsibility on your part; unless, you support this barbaric act!
    As stated by another poster, be careful who you allow to bathe, change or look after your children. I don’t care if they are family, in laws (mother in laws included!). Personally, I can count the number of ppl I trust on one finger (and they are close blood). Be vigilant and if your spirit isn’t settled with someone. Listen. Also watch the reaction of your child (ren) with people. I truly believe the can read people’s aura.

To this mother….may you stay blessed and protected from this evil people.

Moremi

October 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm

The photo was posted by the original source of the story, who used the photo with the family’s consent.

Posting a photo does not suggest approval of the content matter of the story.

Thank you.

16. Iris

October 13, 2014 at 5:43 pm

In the name of God, Olufunke please do not come out wherever you are!

17. deb

October 13, 2014 at 6:13 pm

So if you say people of Ekiti are backward and barbaric, that explains Fayose’s act of supervising the beating of a judge&disruption of justice. Yes back to the matter, if the father of the child truly cherish his family, I think he will abdandone the thought of becoming a king to save his child.

18. Black Coffee

October 13, 2014 at 6:27 pm

This is what motherhood is about. God bless and protect them.

19. Anonymous

October 13, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I’ll b anonymous 4 dis post. I didn’t know I was circumcised till I got to 200 level. Bf looks dwn n says ‘babe u wer circumcised’.I was in shock. Went home n asked my sis what she looked like down der n she describes it all, it dawns on me that a part of my ‘down-below ‘ is missing. I summoned the courage to confront my mom n she says i’d av to ask my dad that she had no choice cos every girl born first in my family had to be circumcised. I nvr summoned the courage to ask my dad.
    Till 2day I dnt knw what an orgasm feels like, married now, my husband doesn’t seem to mind but I feel cheated. Something was taken away from me without my consent.

• Tree

October 14, 2014 at 12:32 am

I feel your pain and I know how annoying it is. When someone is circumcised, it’s extremely hard to have Orgasm.. My ex- didn’t even know I was until he noticed it. Omg! The look and shock on his face was priceless ( for the fact that he’s been out of the country since he could barely walk). He said that’s Jail time in the States. Of course it’s sad and so annoying, that’s why I said my kids ” HELL NO”…

20. I

October 13, 2014 at 6:54 pm

FGM! Is horrible. For no reason should such be allowed to exist. That culture needs to die out ASAP. Pls run run run as far away as possible and may God protect you and your daughter giving you great consolation.

21. T''Osh

October 13, 2014 at 6:54 pm

circumcision ko, circumlocution ni. bunch of ritualists!

22. jake ro

October 13, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Does humanbeings still do this sort of thing these days.i mean in what age and time are these people living in..I thought they said that that state has high number of educated people..is this the education they are talking about.geeeeeeeeeeez.ignorance is really what issetting africa back

23. x-factor

October 13, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Future regent my foot!
    Olufunke is a fugitive of the right convictions, I salute her courage and wish her all of God’s best in her endeavors

24. Prima

October 13, 2014 at 9:02 pm

It would be a good idea to pixellate their faces, as you mention these two are in hiding. It would be a great misfortune if thanks to you they are identified in their neighbourhood. Female Genital Mutilation is a crime against women, we should all do our best to put an end to it.

25. Dr. N

October 13, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Not just that she may never experience orgasm, she is prone to complications during childbirth. That is if she survives d bleeding. Just why? Fiancee abi? Better tell him he is no longer d father if d girl. Na by force? I’m so pained.

26. Shadie

October 13, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Olufunke, if you are reading this and you are still in the country please quickly print this article and go to America or British embassy you will be granted a visa and asylum once you are in their country, don’t even waste anytime for your daughter’s sake. Your in laws are very ignorant evil people. GoodLuck my sister and God bless you and your daughter.

27. esther

October 13, 2014 at 11:27 pm

pls dnt come out protect ur child frm dis wicked act.

28. Aduks

October 14, 2014 at 12:15 am

Certain cultural practices and traditions ought to have been done away with.
    Like FGM, maltreatment and even abuse of south-pawers, ‘Oro'(something I met at Ogun State), etc
    We need education; for ignorance is worst than poverty

29. ATL's Finest

October 14, 2014 at 12:44 am

Omg!!! Where do they do this shit at anymore? Gone are those days..

30. ma283

October 14, 2014 at 12:48 am

@bella naija I’m not trying to bash u guys but this woman has fled with her child to protect her from harm. She obviously does not want to be found. By putting the picture u r making it easier for her to b found oh well your site your rules

31. Just me

October 14, 2014 at 2:37 am

Conversation you must have before saying ‘I do’ else one of the couple will keep running. She’s on the run now.

32. Fred

October 14, 2014 at 5:43 am

My sister I like your courage,I advice that you run and don’t let them know your whereabouts .Circumcision is a rituals. thank you.

33. dotty

October 14, 2014 at 10:02 am

nnali!! osoooooooooo…chai! it well

34. Derry

October 14, 2014 at 11:55 am

Bella Naoja Team, please blur this picture because of “awon alaroka” busybodies
    Sad that this is is still going on.