Music

Pharrell Williams Covers Ebony Magazine’s November Issue, Explains Why He Loves Black Women

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

snapshot-pharrell-williams-for-ebony-november-2014Pharrell Williams has definitely had one of the most successful years this 2014.

The ‘Happy’ singer covers Ebony Magazine’s November 2014 issue where he talks honestly about his year, his successes and his controversies.

You can watch the making of his cover here.

Interestingly, the star also gushes about his love for Black women in response to the backlash he received a few weeks ago for not featuring a darker skinned female on the cover for his album ‘G.I.R.L’.

He explains to the magazine, “I love Black women. If you don’t think I love Black women, then you don’t understand me. I have obsessed over Black women since the days of Jayne Kennedy, Beverly Peele and Roshumba Williams. Those are the women I daydreamed about growing up.”

Photo Credit: Ebony Magazine

1. fjb

October 16, 2014 at 9:43 pm

i love all women…but my ”D” is just for one

2. fjb

October 16, 2014 at 9:44 pm

love all women

3. @edDREAMZ

October 16, 2014 at 10:05 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    This dude is 41, i really doubt that….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. Yaya Boni

October 17, 2014 at 4:17 am

That’s what you say ooooo!!! but, you are with a white ass woman.. so Pharell take a walk… We are no dummies..to your rubbish explanation.

• Femme de l'Avenir

October 17, 2014 at 3:42 pm

His wife isn’t white, thank you very much!

5. tee

October 17, 2014 at 4:41 am

Bella naija just supports anyone sha – this is the same guy that wont put dark skinned black women in his video..we are quick to forget what he said about his CD cover that has only white women on it.. i think it is time we start making a statement that it isn’t ok now you “loove black women” shame your work doesn’t reflect that Pharrell go sit down.

6. Truth

October 17, 2014 at 2:43 pm

*Sigh* at Tee and Yaya Boni;

It’s ok to skip the comment sections of an article if you don’t know much about an artist as opposed to writing incorrect statements through sheer ignorance.
    1 – His wife Helen is East African not white. Before that he dated Vashtie Kola (who is black too) and he even dated Kelis at one point (shock! she’s black too)
    2 – He has always featured black women in his projects and videos; as leading ladies; I assume you recently just jumped on the Pharrell bandwagon so I suggest you youtube the songs “Frontin” and “Maybe” in one of which the the leading lady (his love interest) in the video is black, dark skinned and these are from 10 years ago.

Google is your friend guys, have a great day x

• Anon

October 17, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I guess that’s your attempt at being oh so intellectual and witty. Everyone is entitled to an opinion so lose the patronising tone ok? Its every artiste’s job to be socially conscious. I work in a school there are black girls who haven’t heard of his earlier works who are suffering from devastating inferiority complex due to this ongoing issue -this latest cover didnt feature black girls- that’s what’s important – I appreciate it’s not just Pharrell who is guilty of this but I’ll call him out on it too. So please sit down ok? Clever oponu

• Truth

October 20, 2014 at 12:05 pm

It wasn’t an attempt at being intellectual, I stated facts to correct people’s ignorant opinions, big difference. I can’t apologise for the ignorance of others. I can only nicely correct them! But I see you feel some type of way about my knowledge and your retort was an attempt to undermine my comment. I can write what I like and for the best part I wasn’t rude to anybody; I just called them out on their ignorance, corrected them and advised them on where they can find information for future reference. So how about you lose the need to defend ignorance thus enabling it to continue

If your complexed girls like him and only know of his recent work the will see that the song “Marilyn Monroe” second single from the recent album’s leading lady is black (dark skinned) and she is also on the official single cover.

Please get over yourself, Pharrell can put who and what he likes on the cover of his art, it’s not his job to rid little girls of complexes it’s the job of their parents and perhaps teachers. So maybe you ought to spend less time trying argue with me over facts and spend more time teaching them self love and self acceptance so that someone else’s preference on visual art or choice in women wont bother them so much just like it bothers you.

Have a wonderful week!

7. Femme de l'Avenir

October 17, 2014 at 4:01 pm

First of, we keep bashing this man for no reason and I find it sad that he feels the need to defend himself and his choices. He is in fact allowed to have a preference. In saying that, my opinion is that Pharrell has none…at least not as far as skin color goes; He has dated many black women before. His wife is black, he has affirmed this and so has she. In my eyes she is too, I don’t even know where pple get this white woman thing from, is that the first thing u see when a photo of a person comes up? The wife the man married is not your business neither is the kind of woman he prefers. If he has any deep rooted issues as far as skin color, isn’t it his personal battle to fight?

Pharrell is a the height of his commercial success and so I guess it follows that he must be criticized for every CHOICE he makes, even by pple who know nothing of the man’s career and journey…it comes with the territory of success.

Black women, its not by force that all black men must like u. It might come as a shock to you that people are attracted to more than physical attributes, skin color etc. I have never for the life of me heard white women ‘beech’ as much about one of their own being with a woman of another race (sure it happens but its not as common place as with us). Love yourself and forget about what someone else likes.

Oh and Pharrell honey, stop defending yourself!