Relationships

Can You Let A Woman Taunt and Hit You in Public Without Reacting? Watch Viral Video of a Man and Woman’s Subway Brawl

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Violence against women is a serious issue and while there are several situations that are provocative on a daily basis one has to question if it is ever okay to hit a woman back.

What happens if a woman taunts you, hits you, humiliates you – are men supposed to simply, and calmly, walk away?

How far can you let yourself be provoked before striking back?

So many questions have been asked since a video surfaced online a few days ago. The video has been the source of a lot of heated debates on social media. In the video we see how an argument over fashion escalated to a full-blown brawl on a New York City subway train in the early hours of the morning.

The train erupted in fisticuffs after a man slapped a woman who had hit him first.

The video has since gone viral with over 2 million hits on Youtube.

Watch and let us know your thoughts!

Photo Credit: Nikolay Mamluke | Dreamstime.com
*Photo is for illustrative purposes only

1. jessica

November 11, 2014 at 6:13 pm

That was a resounding slap he gave her tho…these niggas don’t play.
    Oh dear free for all fight. I think it is disrespectful to raise your hands against a guy how much more in public common. You never know what the reaction will be.

• Nahum

November 12, 2014 at 9:51 am

It is disrespectful to hit ANYBODY. You can never predict the outcome

2. nameoh

November 11, 2014 at 6:13 pm

The girl was all turnt up. Don’t smack if you don’t want to be smacked. It is a two way street. Don’t start none and there wont be none, period!
    You can’t expect to hit a guy and not get hit in return, WTF?

• Daizzy

November 12, 2014 at 9:03 am

Exactly! Some unruly girls using that as an excuse to act stupid! I do not support physical violence from either male/female period!

3. lt

November 11, 2014 at 6:15 pm

That’s my crazy new york people. That’s everyday thing on the subway. You get to see everything when you ride on the subway.

• chi-e-z

November 11, 2014 at 6:57 pm

The guy was either non american or had some speech impediment and then said you sound slow and hit him. Seems like she drag, assaulted,and insulted him then guy reacted and poor other guy intervened to save girl then man stepped up to calm situation and ol’dude with camera laughing…wow things we see on public transportation.

4. zanny

November 11, 2014 at 6:20 pm

if a man hits a woman,,, hes simply a coward

• Say what?

November 11, 2014 at 6:36 pm

So what do you call a woman that hits a man? Quit being silly miss!

• lis

November 11, 2014 at 9:51 pm

She is an idiot but if he hasn’t learned to not retaliate and let a pig be a pig then that makes him equally pathetic

• ATL's finest

November 12, 2014 at 5:14 am

Lmao!!!! NYC and their craziness.. I saw this video on FBk & c
      Couldn’t stop smiling. She’s got a big flabby mouth that needed to be shut down & that one slap did it all lol.

• solly

November 11, 2014 at 10:12 pm

go and sit down. she asked for it.! what do you call a woman that hits a man?

• T.

November 11, 2014 at 10:26 pm

So false! She reaped what she sewed! I’m not saying he was right to hit her but she caused it! As much as it is not right for men to assault women, it is also not right for women to assault men. Many ladies tend to be guilty of verbal assault on men and their fellow women (as seen here, the ladies verbally taunted the guy and she hit him first). Men tend get physical with both men and women (that’s why you see them car their rides and fight openly on the street).
      If you say “if a man hits a woman, he is a coward” I will add that a woman who taunts a man (especially a man she doesn’t understand what is temper is like) is foolish!

• bu-bu

November 12, 2014 at 5:36 am

Abeg how many yards she sew?

• Nahum

November 12, 2014 at 9:53 am

A woman that hits a man and expects him to be quiet is a bully

• Will

November 23, 2014 at 6:38 am

Actually the real coward is the one who hits someone else just because she thinks she won’t get hit back because of her gender.

5. Olori Tari

November 11, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Lol I’m sorry but when he hit her back I actually went “yasssss”. If you can give it, you gotta be able to receive it back regardless of gender differences. Now the man hitting her… should he have kept his cool or not ? I say someone slapping you and shouting at you, without you retaliating takes another type of grace that only a few people possess! I can’t blame him…

• Que

November 12, 2014 at 5:57 am

Sorry for what??…… thats a normal reaction in my book! How do you go around woozing a grown ass man OR woman in this world… she got one slap cos she’s a girl, had it been a guy na better punch for follow…. I will find it extremely hard to let someone wooze me and walk away smiling….hence woozing ANYONE isn’t something I do.

I admit the #Slapoflife video doesnt give us d full story, so my judgement is solely on the clip as shown…. I was disgusted by the girls…. did you listen to her rant?? Thats poverty mentality right there! This is d product of poor upbringing- simple! Maturity and proper behaviour isn’t gender specific….

Being female doesnt exempt you from propriety! Nonsense! I cant even deal, and guess what she will still not learn!

6. asgrl

November 11, 2014 at 6:31 pm

The person i truly feel sorry for is the Hispanic mail that jumped in to save the girl. While I believe that NO ONE should hit ANYONE, this girl deserved it. I hope he re-arranged her jaw.

7. jymco

November 11, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Personally, I don’t like violence & will NEVER react whether publicly or privately. I’ve worked on how to keep my cool over-time! Peace is sweet….AND I’ve walked out of a beautiful relationship just bcoz my girl was too aggressive; which I can’t stand, she thought I was joking until she got married to another man & keep lamenting till date she isn’t enjoying that decision.

8. memiee

November 11, 2014 at 6:46 pm

If you ask me, that serves her right!!!

9. benito

November 11, 2014 at 6:54 pm

If you are ready to dish it out, you should be ready to receive it. If a woman wants to be a thug/b!$#h then she gone be treated as a be treated as one and if she wants to be as a lady then she’s gone be treated as one. Same way a gentleman is not supposed to lay hands on a woman, a lady is not supposed to lay hands on a man. All these liberal BS about equal gender rights will keep getting women in trouble cos they keep believing they are equal and can stand up to a man. Be careful now. God made man the head for a reason

• Future/past

November 11, 2014 at 7:14 pm

It’s in the bible that male and female are equal though… Get your facts straight.

• benito

November 11, 2014 at 7:22 pm

That’s where you get it twisted.

• brunno

November 11, 2014 at 7:31 pm

@future/past, shut up ur mouth, the bible degrades women, the bible is a sexist, racist, homophobic book, that encourages stoning of non virgin and acquiring of humans as slave.

• T.

November 11, 2014 at 10:39 pm

You missed it when you brought in the equality thing! Sir, we ladies are created equal to men!! If a man raises his voice at me, I have every right to raise my voice back at him and WILL stand up to him. That does not mean I will hit him. I will never verbally or physically assault a man but no man is permitted to talk me down or harass me ! IT JUST WOULD NOT HAPPEN.

I implore you to get your facts right. What you imply is all men are heads over women? Arrant nonsense! THE ONLY PLACE GOD CREATED MAN TO HEAD IS THE HOME. Emphasis on home!
      “Ephesians 5 22-23 says Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.”

Therefore, if I am not married to a man, or if a man is not my father or my elder brother or an older man, such man CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT assume headship over me or expect me to submit to him because GOD did not make him my head!

It is not equality that got this girl in trouble, it is her foolishness so don’t spew nonsense that equality is the reason she got hit!

10. girl

November 11, 2014 at 6:56 pm

hahahahaahaha! girl had it coming, talking about steve madden…. that slap though she had to be taken to the ER after that. I fully support him displacing her jaw, notice she hit him with those ugly apola shoes, next time keep your steve madden to your feet.

11. chi-e-z

November 11, 2014 at 7:05 pm

This girl has too much mouth and is a bully. Guy should have just walked away though.

• Jo!

November 12, 2014 at 9:50 am

Walked off the train?

12. NutriC

November 11, 2014 at 7:10 pm

LOL…so happy he slapped her back. i am a Female and i feel if another female hits a guy, it is absolutely ok for him to hit her back. Thats what self defense is all about yo. Don’t hit except you wanna get hit! Period.

13. bruno

November 11, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Many Nigerian women should beTter caution them selves.
    Hitting a man and holding his shirt, that’s their strategy.

A man and a woman gets into a disagreement and the woman slaps the man and holds his shirt and start shouting, “HE WANTS TO KILL ME OH!!!” “COME AND SEE OH”. I have seen this many times. especially amongst boyfriend and girlfriend.
    What many may not know is women are just as violent as man, some are even more violent than men (acid pouring, hot water pouring, cutting of penis etc) .

If a woman slaps you first you better slap her back and if a man slaps a woman first, that man should be arrested. Infact anybody who slaps anybody should be arrested.

• Nkay

November 11, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I was waiting to see what you would say…and I was not disappointed.

• Joyce

June 11, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Hahahahaha ? @arrested.

14. lis

November 11, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Really? So we are happy men are hitting women these days. He’s twice her size and honestly they are BOTH CLOWNS. She should have sat down and he should have kept it moving. If he had a gun and shot her we would all be crying racism right now instead of celebrating. Ridiculous. I can never celebrate a man hitting a woman no matter what because if he can’t keep his hand to himself over a stranger then what about his family or his kids? What then differentiates us from animals?

• I_I

November 11, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Madam, abeg go and sit down .

• lis

November 11, 2014 at 9:48 pm

maybe take your own advice.

• T.

November 11, 2014 at 10:45 pm

No one is celebrating him hitting her. They’re only saying she caused it by verbally and physically assaulting him first. As such she had it coming to her. Yes, he should have walked away, but how many people are that self controlled? Ask yourself, if a fellow woman (talk less of a man) acted the way that girl did, to you, wouldn’t you be tempted to retaliate at the least?

• chi-e-z

November 12, 2014 at 12:22 am

abeg racism what…The man should be screaming bully. He obviously was insulted by her up to the point where she called him slow and was enjoying it. He said you are nigerian why you attacking me then girl is like you sound slow and hit him after he said dirty b*tch. So because someone is different she has a right to abuse and demean him. I have no sympathy for people like her even if she happens to be igbo or not. I am against assault male or female and I am most angered by on males because I only have brothers and I’d hate for them to be bullied and assaulted and someone like her goes and plays victim or racism card. Menh, I’d snatch a tricks hair quick if she tried it with my brothers.

• Joyce

June 11, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Preach!

• Tola

November 12, 2014 at 1:25 am

‘no matter what’??? and if she has had a gun? Ode ni e ooo ni ironu

• bu-bu

November 12, 2014 at 5:40 am

If she can’t keep her hands to herself, how about her own family and kids?
      You see the way we are to handle issues? NO DOUBLE STANDARD!!!

• Que

November 12, 2014 at 6:02 am

?…the thing is ‘she didnt seat down, or keep her hands to herself…. neither did she take into consideration the size that was standing before her!….was she shouting with closed eyes???

• alviscali

November 12, 2014 at 8:30 am

didn’t she see he was twice her size before hitting him???at what point is it alright for a woman to hit man(a man she doesn’t know for that matter)you are one of those people that bring women down because u encourage them to act the fool…….I would have slapped her more than once if she tried that with me…..wtf….keep your damn germ infested hand to yourself and keep talking smack…..once u touch me,its going down!!!!! ur mind needs fine tuning ….take a seat

• Easy n Gentle

November 12, 2014 at 9:53 am

I don’t agree with your opinion Madam! If a loved one did what she did, that is, talked sh#t and slapped me, it’s d grace that she’s a loved one and the aftermath that might not make me react. But a total stranger, I mean talking sh#t is cool, I play deaf really well, but the slap I can’t take. My own is don’t touch me. FROM A TOTAL STRANGER, a woman at that! The effrontery. I’d sharply decloak the Easy n Gentle exterior and show her what real craze looks like. And the guy that defended her, his f up would be so easy to treat

• fineola

November 12, 2014 at 6:29 pm

common shut up. She hit him…did you see the part where she hit him? What happened to defending ones self? To top it off, he was walking away when she made a conscious effort to smack him

15. Ib

November 11, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Definition of hood.

16. CovertNigerian

November 11, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Very often, one hears women refer to the idea of a “real man”. It may be time for them to wake up to the fact that having female reproductive organs is not a ticket to the respect that ladies (in the true sense of the word) command and without doubt deserve.
    I’m not sure what that thing on the train was, but it didn’t look ladylike to me at all.

17. omoibo

November 11, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Brings a whole new meaning to the term “dirty slap”…..

18. Iris

November 11, 2014 at 9:56 pm

A man shouldn’t hit a woman. A woman shouldn ‘t hit a man. A woman shouldn’t hit a woman. A man should typically not hit a man unless he’s in the right, is not risking disfiguration, will not get arrested, his loved ones or finances won’t suffer for his actions, and knows for a fact that he will win (slight turn on) but even here the risks are too many. Just walk away.

19. Nkay

November 11, 2014 at 10:45 pm

some people are just ghetto. full stop.

20. D

November 11, 2014 at 10:48 pm

I will never condone a man hitting a woman, the same way I will not condone a woman hitting a man or even a woman hitting a woman. Dignity called and asked if this century remembers it. I can’t think of anything that would make me hit another human? I will rather run, unless it boils down to life or death situation. I am done with that, now that is what is loki in Isoken’s words. infact I hope I never let anything escalate to that point to begin with. But Why??? As for the dude I will do like Jay-Z did. I know some people might call that being slow but it saving your dignity abeg.

21. Halia

November 11, 2014 at 11:00 pm

And that’s how you classily and maturely resolve things…. #NOT!

22. Fashionista

November 12, 2014 at 12:03 am

Shet! That was an IGBATI!!!

23. brownchocolate

November 12, 2014 at 1:17 am

Omo see slaaaaaaappp! Resoooooouunnndding slaaaaaaaaaap! Na the babe find trouble abeg. Mouth jus tdey run chor chor chor! Slapped him more than once sef! Can u imagine! See the way the oyibos pick race. In their minds they’d be saying abeg make I find my level before somebody shoot person o! That laughing idiot is quite hilarious. The guy just dey enjoy the show dey laff. The girl’s got a mouth on her and I can bet that’s not the first time she’s been slapped by a male. ……LOL!

24. vheeki

November 12, 2014 at 2:16 am

This video is hilarious mehn!!! Lmboo…wow!
    Omoibo, you had me in stitches…loool

25. mujer

November 12, 2014 at 3:30 am

I am all for not manhandling women but if you are going to raise your hand you should be prepared for what cometh next. It would have been perfect if he had not fought her but first there was all that taunting followed by the dirty slap. Sorry. She was itching for a fight. Probably feeling twice her size aft inhaling or shooting some stuff…..

26. ada nnewi

November 12, 2014 at 5:39 am

She deserved the slap!!!

27. Nikky

November 12, 2014 at 5:54 am

He was 100% right to slap her senseless. I know it will be unpopular to say she asked for the beating of her life, but this right here is the definition of asking for it. She threw he first punch abi an slap which put that young man in a posting where he had to protect himself. One thing I was thought when I came to this obodo oyibo is that you don’t EVER hit first, if an mouth no problem. But physically putting them paws on anyone is a straight up guarantee of police wahala.
    I was expecting that dude behind the camera to shout world star.

28. Chinagorom Martin

November 12, 2014 at 6:10 am

I have very deep respects for women and I would be the first to defend one in many matters but if a woman hit me it will be worst choice she ever made cause I will make sure she lives to regret that day.

29. BlueEyed

November 12, 2014 at 7:31 am

The Steve Madden shade got me laughing hard…… Not all men are mature enough to handle provocations or physical confrontations, so women who go about taunting men and physically provocating a man’s anger will have it coming. Don’t start none, there won’t be none.

30. Cece

November 12, 2014 at 8:09 am

I am a woman who is pretty much against violence against women and I am for women standing up for other women however for some reason I think the woman needed that slap to teach her a lesson and I am 100% sure she will never raise her hand neither will she raise her voice on/at any man in her life,ever again.One more thing,I think there should also be more support for men in terms of violence against men because it seems that women in the 21st century are more independent,opinionated,liberated and empowered than ever before so the men in abusive and violent relationships or what not should not be abandoned.So today,I guess I stand up against violence against men as well.

31. honey

November 12, 2014 at 9:20 am

I can get past that slap. The sound is disturbing. I didnt know when i squeaked out in the office.

32. sum1special

November 12, 2014 at 9:34 am

woww.i was speechless for some minutes… well if you dont wanna get hit do not throw the first punch….ladies stop provoking men, common. they are definitely stronger than us.

33. Ade

November 12, 2014 at 9:51 am

I can’t even deal… When a lady starts behaves nasty like that… Run far…. As for the slap, it was called for..

34. Ade

November 12, 2014 at 9:53 am

Behaving*

35. omoibo

November 12, 2014 at 12:06 pm

For the BN posters that wrote it was wrong for thunder-hand to have slapped the piss out of the gurl. Would your opinion had been different if it was a fellow female that gave her that resounding dirty slap heard globally?!
    You cannot pick and choose when it’s okay to be feminist or whatever, I am a believer in equal opportunities/treatment for the genders.

36. fineola

November 12, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I’m the first person to speak against domestic violence. However, I draw the line at assault. If a person assaults you, you have the right to defend yourself. This was clearly assault. The guy was silently ignoring her until she smacked him, at which point, self defense came in. If he had smacked her for barely running her mouth, that is another story.

37. honest one

November 12, 2014 at 4:33 pm

All i can say is…damn, that slap over enter!!!

38. nene

November 12, 2014 at 6:34 pm

lmao. she never hesperredit! stupid girl! insulting a boy/man who is almost twice your size. because he looks calm and probably has a slight mental problem (his speech sounded incoherent and slurred), you feel you can bully him. she’s a very strong girl because that guy threw everyone out and she still managed to stay on her feet. black american women are the worst, very aggressive and rude.

39. ayaoko

November 15, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Hmmmmmmm. I think no one should taunt another person. when you realize another person is getting upset let it be. If you taunt a man or a woman, you see them get upset and you continue, ure asking for what you get. Respect is really reciprocal. She was really stupid.

40. Deemah

January 24, 2015 at 1:44 pm

LOL, the ratchet level on this video is sky-high. The girl assaulted him and yes, he could have chosen to ignore her, but he also had every right to defend himself. That was a tight slap!

41. Joyce

June 11, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Hahahahaha @arrested. You are taking this too serious

42. Joyce

June 11, 2015 at 8:07 pm

This is just a mannerless girl acting a fool on the train cos she feels she is in a country that she can get away with it once she cries wolf. Also you said the guy should have walked away but if you watched the video well enough you would notice the guy walked away from the back of the cart to the door hoping to get off but she still went after him. So it’s the guy who got assaulted. No girl would dare try this with my brother or friend.

43. Joyce