News

Lagos Man to Travel Over 600 Miles from Ghana to Nigeria via Bicycle to Raise Funds for Ebola

NAN

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yemi Oyekoya, a Lagos-based cyclist, has promised to embark on over 1, 000 km (600 miles +)  journey from Ghana to Nigeria to raise funds for the fight against Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).

Oyekoya told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos that the journey would be used to create more awareness for the fight against the EVD and assist its victims.

According to Oyekoya, the journey will begin on December 19th in Accra and end in Lagos on January 15th, 2015.

“My mission is to generate more awareness in the fight against the dreaded disease plaguing some countries in West Africa.

“The fight against the Ebola disease has been made possible by voluntary contributions from governments, private organisations, non-governmental organisations and individuals.

“This is why I will be using this platform to generate funds for non-governmental organisations that have been involved in catering for the affected areas,” Oyekoya said.

“I have a deep passion for the fight against Ebola, hence the need to use my cycling mission to create more awareness.

“Cycling is a passion and I have been involved in traveling on bicycle to different countries since 2007.

“For me I love cycling and journeying through different countries is something that gives me great pleasure, especially seeing other countries and meeting diverse cultures.

“I want to share the spirit of the adventure with everybody, especially on the tenacity and the challenges that go with the journey.

“I want to use this quest to unite everybody on the continuous fight against the disease as it affects families, workers, especially many sick children.’’

Photo Credit:  Flashon Studio/Dreamstime.com   *photo is for illustrative purposes only*

1. nath ekanem

November 28, 2014 at 9:25 am

greta concept

2. Laura

November 28, 2014 at 9:44 am

Well done Yemi. I wish you well, stay safe!

3. African Salon Dubai

November 28, 2014 at 10:22 am

Well done Yemi. Each one of us can do something however small. Question to Bella – how can contribute to Yemi’s efforts? Any website, contact?

4. Oil

November 28, 2014 at 11:31 am

Well done o, but think twice.. If anything happens 2 u while cycling ppl will only say Aww, Ehya.. Xmas period isn’t d best tym 4 stuffs like dis

5. Lolo

November 28, 2014 at 11:32 am

God bless you and guide you as you embark on this “journey” and when you come back,please marry me (if that is you on the pic above). I love cycling too and we can make beautiful babies who would love to cycle too ha.

6. Dep

November 28, 2014 at 1:00 pm

please pardon my ignorance, I need to know how all this riding for a cause .. or running for a cause creates awarness ( in the case of the pink ball for cancer, people paid for the tickets so they generated money ) He is cycling alone now, how would people be aware of his cause .. aside seeing it on bella naija now .. pls i need to know

• funmi

November 28, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Normally people will also have a fundraising website detailing their adventures so interested people can follow them and also give money.

7. Asgrl

November 28, 2014 at 4:07 pm

If it were any other country in the world, I would be excited for him. There just too many safety concerns. I wish him safe journey. Kudos!

8. Nkem

November 28, 2014 at 4:18 pm

@ Dep………………. am wondering the same thing too. Can someone explain how he will generate fund for Ebola by embarking on this journey?