Scoop

Check Out How Uzo’s Food Labs prepares the Akamu Smoothie| Watch

v=

Did you know you could have your smoothie with an indigenous twist? Well, find out more by checking out Uzo’s Food Labs below:

1. bruno

January 8, 2015 at 9:46 pm

dear uzo, how u doing ( wendy williams voice ). this is my first time commenting on uzo’s food lab. pls I have a question. how is the best way to boil rice. some people boil their rice once while some like to boil their rice twice. what is the best way? thanks

• Uzo

January 8, 2015 at 10:46 pm

How you doing (insert hand gesture too and lots of blinks…:-)) Boiling rice depends on the brand really. Some brands are parboiled so you would only wash grains thoroughly and boil once. Some people parboil and then wash to get rid of the excess starch which can make the boiled rice gluggy. I find that washing the raw grains enough times till the water turns clear eliminates the need to parboil. I hope this helps…..

• bruno

January 9, 2015 at 9:30 am

uzo thanks.

• Oshe

January 8, 2015 at 11:23 pm

dear bruno, how u doing (in chi gurl voice). this is my first time posting a question. I have a question for you pls, how do you brush your teeth? Some people pour water on their toothbrush before adding toothpaste while some will just add the paste on their brush and start brushing. what is the best way? Thanks

• Eliza

January 9, 2015 at 4:08 am

LWKMD

• olu

January 8, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Depends:
      – is it uncle ben’s or ofada rice?
      – are you using pure water, bottled water, well water or stream water?
      – are you using boiling ring, gas or kerosene stove?
      – are you iusing clay or aluminium pot?
      – will you be serving the rice with leaves or plates?

Your answers to these questions will help in provding the best response.

• Person

January 9, 2015 at 6:18 am

I am not Uzo but here is a method learn from a Chef: Rinse your rice till the water runs clear. For every one cup of rice, add two cups of water. Bring rice to boil. As soon as the rice starts to boil, allow to boil for about 15 minutes. Decant into a sieve and rinse under cold water. Put more water in a pot and bring to boil. Put the drained rice in a colander and ensure the base of the colander is above the boiling water. Cover the rice with foil and and cover the pot. Steam rice to your desired softness and fluff with a fork. Shikena 🙂

2. @edDREAMZ

January 8, 2015 at 10:13 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Dont want to waste my megabyte on preparation of AKAMU a food i so hate with passion….. I remember when i was kid, my late dad will always force me to drink that rubbish even with tears coming out frm my eyes he never backs down…. RIP….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. imose

January 8, 2015 at 10:25 pm

@Bruno lol… send her an email biko. Nice one Uzo..will give it a try.

4. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

January 8, 2015 at 10:46 pm

INTERESTING…………I LIKE.

5. deee

January 8, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Nice ……it will be good for babies i think

6. Funmilola

January 8, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Hmmm, looks yummy….like her hair too.

7. Ada igbo

January 9, 2015 at 2:17 am

I also HATE Akamu, custard, oats and other foods that look like these. I have two children I fed Akamu, but never tasted it. Better believe it. I couldn’t wash the plates as a child. I still can’t stand it, especially those thick ones, left in the plate to congeal. Tufiaaa!!. I will however try this, for my baby ofcos.

8. Ewa

January 9, 2015 at 8:53 am

Interesting. I add oatmeal to my smoothies sometimes. Will try this out.

9. Rosemarie

January 10, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Wow this is a very interesting combination , I never thought of something like this , thanks a lot Uzo am going to trial