Music

I Do Not Believe in the Afterlife Like Christians Do – Charly Boy Opens up on His ‘Object of Worship’

FullSizeRenderIn an article ‘My Object of Worship’ posted on his Facebook page, veteran musician Charly Boy is talking about his faith and mode of worship.

Read his article below:

No, I no dey suck human blood, I no be general overseer for illuminati, I no dey Ogboni or for cult, e don doooooooo. You People no go kill me with laugh for Naija. The way eyes dey red now, you go think say Apollo catch dem.  Many guys dey write me say dem wan join illuminati, Cheai, there is Godoooo.
I dey sure say the church buildings wey dey Nigeria pass our population. So called men of god  wey dey town don dey assume the proportion of China. All looking for their next Mugu. Una no see me joor.

I have been queried a lot about my faith these days. Do I believe in God? Do I believe in Jesus? Do I pray and to who or what? I guess for many, they probably cannot wrap their minds around my spirituality. Am sure some people even think say I be native doctor as na only me dey take siesta inside coffin when I never die. No vex, na my life and I dey rock-am anyhow, no homo. Some people dey form good Christians because dem wan go heaven, me I just dey denge dey pose because am living my own small heaven right here on this earth for this Nigeria. I no wan wait till I die. Even some of my Muslim brothers wey wan fast track dem own dey even do suicide  bombing. Na only Naija Christains wey dey fear death yet dem all wan go heaven. Haba.

Most  Nigerians who have heavily invested in their Christianity believe that the concept of any other faith should be considered false. So how do I start to speak to narrow-minded Christians to understand that Buddhism is a wholesome practice for everyone, even the Christians themselves?
Take some time out and research, go to google, you will for sure see so many books on the topic, where Buddhism and Christianity agree in philosophy; in fact, with some of the key factors of most world religions. Also, the best of the Bible and Buddhism both converge on the areas of ethics, kindness, giving, and love.

Too many practitioners of all faiths focus on the rewards at the end of our journey, when the rewards and purpose are the journey itself according to the teaching of Buddha.

While I may not be a religious person, I believe in Jesus/Christianity, I do not deny it.  While I do not believe in the afterlife as Christians do, if those who follow it embody the qualities of Jesus in the here and now, then I embrace their practice as successful and good. While Buddhism is a faith of self-realization in the practice of here and now. Christianity is a practice for the afterlife of God’s revelation.

No matter how my Naija Christian brothers dey see God, my own way different. I see our Creator as one that does not interfere with the world in which we live, but only touches the heart of man to let him know He (God) is there. It is up to man to make his volitional choices using his free will, and making his own happiness.

The story of Job tells of the story of a faithful man who is beset by all sorts of misfortune, but he “chooses” to keep his faith. While Jesus performed miracles and taught His Gospel, He always presented His parables as tools/models for His followers to make their own choices towards happiness.

Buddha does the same as Jesus, but without the need to exclude the idea of other faiths. The Buddha said for us to always question, practice and see the truth by the fruits of our efforts. If a Christian can grow and develop his faith by adding the tools of the Buddha, then I see it as a damn good thing. I don find my direction to heaven, make you find ya own abegi.

Photo Credit: Facebook | Charles Oputa

1. Nola

January 21, 2015 at 10:23 am

Where did Justice Oputa go wrong. Mothers! it is very essential to decree things into your child’s life from the womb…

• Uncle Idi Amin

January 21, 2015 at 12:37 pm

You are so very dim, judgmental and ignorant.
      Where did YOUR own father go wrong?? Its not by force to comment If you have nothing tangible to say,

Since you are unable to wrap your narrow mind around basic philosophy, religion and spirituality, pls go and sit down,; stick to watching Ngee Show n Toke Moments…

• Ewa

January 21, 2015 at 12:41 pm

What rubbish comment? Justice Oputa never went wrong anywhere..

• MIA

January 21, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Biko what has his mum got to do with this? We can blame women for anything. I am sure devil is in hell because of a woman!!! Meanwhile his words and actions shows that he is a genius and not common minded like a lot of people.

• Owelle

January 21, 2015 at 1:24 pm

@nola stfu and gaan sit down abeg. I’m sure you didn’t read the article. This man might be a weirdo but if u listen to him or read his articles with an open mind you’d realize he actually makes a lot of sense.And why you gotta blame his momma???

2. jamcy

January 21, 2015 at 10:24 am

na ur life u fit rock am any how

3. Tachy

January 21, 2015 at 10:48 am

Freedom of believe ……
    Everyones religion is their one true religion. ..

4. manb4real

January 21, 2015 at 11:07 am

If you don’t believe in the life after here,do you believe that man has as soul that leaves him after he dies? Have you ever asked where the soul goes? May God save, deliver us all.

5. kunle

January 21, 2015 at 11:08 am

Everybody is free now to believe whatever he/she wants to believe, in the afterlife GOD also will be justified to condemn all sinners to hell. Remember IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE AT LAW.

6. Scared Homosapien

January 21, 2015 at 12:09 pm

We all have the right to believe whatever we want to. We Christians always think that our religion is the ultimate, but it isn’t (mind you, i am an orthodox Christian). There are many good and peaceful religion out there and i’m very sure their members will make heaven even before some self-righteous Christians do. Treat people like you would like to be treated, make peace and not war and heaven is yours. #myopinion

• paloma

January 21, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Thank God you said your opinion! No be me holy pass but Mr. Scared Homosapien if u are a n orthodox christian as u claimed u won’t say this. *There are many good and peaceful religion out there and i’m very sure their members will make heaven even before some self-righteous Christians do. *. Why are u a christian then if you know they will make heaven too??? You need to reconcile with your faith and your salvation.

• MC

January 21, 2015 at 4:01 pm

question, Christians only believe fellow Christians will enter Heaven?

7. amarafavor

January 21, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Yes! Everyone has right to believe in whtever they like, but truly for Jesus/Christians don’t need mix up cos HE is complete n everything is complete in Him. No need to mix Jesus join Buhda. For wht communion has light with otherwise

8. Godwin

January 21, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Believe it or not, it’s Christ alone, that removes the blindfold.

9. Benson Ossai

January 21, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Things like this should not be published to deter people from being influence.

• MC

January 21, 2015 at 4:01 pm

influenced by?

10. PC

January 21, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Charley boy is just talking what his mind is full of. What is the need of believing in Jesus Christ and forsaking his commandment that ensures a glorious afterlife? Rock your life as you wish but remember say you go give God wey create a detailed account of wetin you use your life do for Him according to His (God) word wey dey for the Holy Bible.

11. sug

March 12, 2015 at 10:47 am

sadly, while most of what he says about christians, christianity, churches may be true, we still can’t throw away the baby witht he bath water at all…

12. sug